LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same. People say "Where'd ya get that?" and someone answers "Oh, I ordered it offline instead of online. Or, "She lives off Hwy such and such" meaning she lives ON Hwy such and such. Plus, we have been told she has NOT been seen on any other surveillance past what's been shown, so no other streets "off" of St. Landry. I think he just meant ON St. Landry. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

I got down at Rouse's off of Bertrand and made my groceries. Then I hurried home and saved the groceries in the pantry.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the perp didn't use University to get to I10. There are two traffic cameras that could easily read license plates that he would have had to pass. He avoided those. If he's from the area he would know they were there. If he wasn't he would have seen them coming (there are signs saying that one is coming up). He would have turned off University and cut over to the thruway and got on there.

Yes, it would have been very easy to take Congress to the Thruway. If that's the case, Congress was the only main road he could have taken, because to get to Cameron or Willow he would have had to pass under a traffic camera. But, if he had done this, it would have taken longer and given people more of a chance to see him. It's possible he even turned down Congress towards Bertrand and hopped onto I-10 from the Ambassador Caffery exit.

to the person that said she looked to be giving directions in the school pic...
...she has both hands on the bike grips... in that pic.

I got down at Rouse's off of Bertrand and made my groceries. Then I hurried home and saved the groceries in the pantry.

Or "I ran home to save up the groceries". :)

Better yet: We went go make groceries!

I know someone mentioned the Krooked Nickel in a previous post, but I'm wondering if this is a viable theory (it fits into the DUI category)

-Closing call is around 2AM, last appearance of Mickey was about 1:48 near Circle K. Bar patron wanted to leave a little earlier than closing time.
-If there were checkpoints on main roads, then I would assume bar patrons would like to avoid them. So they go the back routes, even if there isn't one on Johnston St.
-The back route from the Krooked Nickel would be St. Julien > St. Landry > University > I-10. This puts them on the same route Mickey is on.
-We know the only visible damage seen was to the back tire (according to LE).

Would it be possible that Mickey decided to take a left down St. Mary once reaching the intersection? If a drunk driver ran a red light, and Mickey was partially through the intersection, her back tire would be hit.

Again, these threads move WAY too fast. I can't keep up. I apologize if this was brought up, or if a similar theory was disproved.

I'm reading like mad trying to get caught up with all these messages so I am sorry if this has already been discussed...ANYWAY...the picture you are talking about bothers me. If you are right, and I do believe you are, she is probably talking to someone in that car parked on the other side of the road. It looks like it's just sitting there with no lights on. I wish I knew how to post the picture here to show you, but I don't have a clue how to do that. I didn't see the car until I adjusted the brightness a bit. If you would, go back to the pic and increase the brightness just a bit and I'm hoping you'll see the car I think I see.

I think it's important to remember that we are seeing pictures of a VIDEO that LE watched. If she was stopped at all and talking (or not) LE would know this. I happen to think it appears that she is on her bike and continuing forward. Also, for people who believe there is a motorcycle in one of the pictures - this is also something I think LE would have seen on the video and announced. I think sometimes we want there to be more than there appears to be to help further the investigation, but sometimes our mind can make something out of nothing. I'm not discounting anyone's theories or opinions, by the way. This is just MO.

Any information in any interviews from workers/patrons at Artmosphere the night Mickey was there? Is it at all possible she cut through to Johnston st. and and went back to Artmosphere to meet someone? Probably no cameras at Artmosphere?

Driver of truck that hit Mickey was drunk...
Passenger turning him in for reward money...
Arrest coming soon...
All hearsay, so take this with the proverbial grain of salt.

They would have found the bike much sooner (almost immediately) if it was left there.

I don't know if that's necessarily accurate.

As I alluded to in a previous post, river stages and downstream currents can change the lay of the land (or, in this case, the basin) from one day to the next. River stages can drop precipitously during Summer months (once waters from up north -- melted ice, snow, etc. -- have finished flowing downstream to the Gulf of Mexico) and, concurrent with these drops in river stages (see the Butte La Rose river stage measurements for examples of this) is a drop in the water level of the surrounding areas.

Over the course of a week, the river could easily drop 2-3 feet. And that would lower the water levels of adjacent waters, including the drop spot...which would mean that perhaps the bike was entirely submerged in the couple of days immediately following MS's disappearance but, as waters receded, part of the bike became visible.

OT, but I have to laugh a little at all the confusion caused by our crazy South Louisiana speech. Everybody in my family answers the phone with "Where y'at?" even if they know exactly where the other person is. And yes, everybody lives "off" this road or that road, or is "out of" Lafayette or New Iberia.

I know someone mentioned the Krooked Nickel in a previous post, but I'm wondering if this is a viable theory (it fits into the DUI category)

-Closing call is around 2AM, last appearance of Mickey was about 1:48 near Circle K. Bar patron wanted to leave a little earlier than closing time.
-If there were checkpoints on main roads, then I would assume bar patrons would like to avoid them. So they go the back routes, even if there isn't one on Johnston St.
-The back route from the Krooked Nickel would be St. Julien > St. Landry > University > I-10. This puts them on the same route Mickey is on.

Would it be possible that Mickey decided to take a left down St. Mary once reaching the intersection? If a drunk driver ran a red light, and Mickey was partially through the intersection, her back tire would be hit.

Again, these threads move WAY too fast. I can't keep up. I apologize if this was brought up, or if a similar theory was disproved.

I'm not sure why she would want to turn down St. Mary, unless she felt nervous about going past Lourdes and wanted to duck off right before it (though she'd still have to bike by it, if she went down St. Mary)...but that is logical. But she would have been on the surveillance camera that captured the car and truck, as well as the funeral home cameras on St. Mary and St. Landry...and LE said yesterday that she wasn't....

I sure wish I was a police officer with the LPD so I could know some more details! lol.

Better yet: We went go make groceries!

Awesome. I hear it just like that a lot. the other too: "saved up the groceries"

"We went go...." I love Lafayette!! Rice and Gravy rules.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the perp didn't use University to get to I10. There are two traffic cameras that could easily read license plates that he would have had to pass. He avoided those. If he's from the area he would know they were there. If he wasn't he would have seen them coming (there are signs saying that one is coming up). He would have turned off University and cut over to the thruway and got on there.

If he is from the area, he should be aware of those cameras, that's a great point.

I do think he went down University, however. I've seen plenty of vehicles around with their plates obscured by that cover you can purchase to make your license unreadable on traffic photos.

I just want to say that I'm happy if chicken fried is happy! Great work on the poster of the large car. :chicken::dance:

Haha! I never did get "made groceries". But I do save them!

Any information in any interviews from workers/patrons at Artmosphere the night Mickey was there? Is it at all possible she cut through to Johnston st. and and went back to Artmosphere to meet someone? Probably no cameras at Artmosphere?

I wouldn't think so, not so close to closing time. And there would have been business cameras along the way somewhere that would have seen her, as well as people driving by would have seen her riding. I'm sure most guys driving would notice a pretty girl biking down the road. ;)

I like the way you're thinking. But I would think that if someone ran a red light they'd be traveling way too fast to only do relatively minor damage to her bicycle rather than mangle it completely. MOO.

Perfect!! That's EXACTLY how I say it! it drives people crazy that i say "save the groceries"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member