***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at the booze governing laws in Louisiana ... looks like it CAN be sold 24/7 which surprised me. No time restraints other than on the bars. Was always under the impression the stores stopped selling at 2 am as well.

I work at a convenience store on the weekends, and I can tell you that our system is programmed to not allow alcohol sales after 2 AM (midnight on Sundays). So, if the shot we see of the "running man" is right before 2 AM, then yes, he might be in one heck of a hurry to grab something before he can't anymore. That said, though, I recall reading an article that said that it's a still shot we're seeing, and that he might not have been actually running, that he was caught mid-stride and it just looks that way. I'm not sure it matters one way or another, because to me, it looks like he's not paying attention to the person on the bike on the road behind him.

Still don't think a "drunk" liquored up perp committed this crime abducting MS though. Are drunks that meticulous when it comes to "cleaning up" ???

I don't know that they're that meticulous, but I think it's not something we can completely rule out at that time of night. I mean, I think it's possible that the driver may have been drinking, but like the "running man," I don't think it's relevant to this -- regardless of if he was impaired or not, Mickey's missing, and if he had something to do with it, I suspect drunk driving would be the least of his worries.

We were at Osaka Sushi Tuesday night, which is next door to the headquarters, and it just really made me sad that the HQ is still needed. I wish Mickey would either come home or be found (preferably the former, obviously). My heart goes out to the family.

Anyone know how far from from the alleged last known sighting of a missing person, the search parameters (widening rings or areas) go? Then, how far from an evidence item?

If optimal search conditions were present, what would be the distance covered?

Thanks.

Exactly! Fine if we can't get national media, but we NEED Louisiana media. Lafayette knows about the case, but there's a lot of Louisiana that doesn't. Louisiana news channels don't have THAT much to talk about, so what's the problem with airing this story? It's "interesting" (in a sad way) but you know it attracts viewers is what I mean and it's local and it's not common here, so air the hell out of it!!!

It's so frustrating! Is LE not wanting the media to air because they don't want to look bad for not catching the perp? Honestly, I wouldn't be judging LE one bit if it weren't for their rude awkward silence. So media attenion, in my opinion would be in their best interest.

LA is a pretty big state, I'm fairly confident that MS isn't the only person that has gone missing in the past year in LA? How does the media pick and choose what 'missing' person to cover, especially in light of the fact there is very little information to report on. Believe it or not, it is not the media's job to 'investigate' cases, that's LE. When the media asks LE questions, it's only purpose is to 'advance' the story, not to actually find answers.

Everyone should know by know that media, whether it be national, state, local or the school newspaper, only put up stories that are relevant and interesting. Once the 'interesting' part goes away, the cameras and reporters move on the next 'interesting' thing. It is then up to family and friends to continue to keep the word out. Social media has made this even easier, as many people use social media.

TxLady2, guess, if you live on the river, you don't go fishing..
Have you observed a difference of opinions concerning communication by LE to the public in missing persons investigations among your LE son & relatives.
Are any of your relatives detectives?
I've been following the Holly Bobo abduction since 04/13/2011 due to the Sheriff's statement, 'These crimes don't happen in places like Darden, TN'...
"I liked to fell out of my damn chair"...

My son is a Lt. in a supervisory position currently, and yes, he was a detective for about 15 years. He is normally the one who does interviews for the local t.v. and newspaper, unless they happen to catch the sheriff himself, which is rare. If I am not mistaken, he does not contact the media first, they contact him. I haven't asked anyone else's opinions on the level of communication between LE and the public, because as I said, no one I know follows these cases except me.

I don't find that comment by the sheriff in Holly's case strange, because I live in a very small town and we don't have that kind of thing happen here either. We had one murder about 10 years ago and it made national news for about 2 days. IMO, our media really doesn't focus much on the crime that's going on around here. I heard one report of a young woman who went missing a few months ago, from an adjacent county and have heard nothing else. I don't even recall her name, but it is definitely not being followed by our local media. Shame, isn't it.

Agreed, not many people outside of members of WS have even heard of WS radio. In fact, of the people I know well who spend a lot of time on their computers, most of them have never heard of WS, for that matter. I will occasionally discuss some cases with my hubby, and he listens up to a point, then thinks of something he has to do somewhere else.
As for hiring a PI, that's a personal choice, but I think it has some disadvantages. For one thing, most reliable PI's charge a heckuva lot of money, unless they just have a personal interest and want to work for free. Many people can't afford them indefinitely. I could probably afford about 15 mnutes. Some LE don't like sharing information and resent them interfering, but most are usually willing to work with one as long as they don't overstep thier bounds. And a lot of times, people will come more near talking to a PI than they would a cop. But there are still some things a cop can do that a PI cannot, and I think LE has access to certain databases that a PI doesn't, unless they have a computer whiz on the payroll. Some do, actually.
I think I'm right on this, but if not, one of them will correct me, I'm sure.

RE: he listens up to a point, then thinks of something he has to do somewhere else.

LOL, reminds me of the local newspaper office where I live. I was following an abduction case that happened near me where LE was silent & missleading. Over a period of a couple of years, I would take them verified info & evidence on the investigation. I could see the journalists, etc., through the window emulating the maytag repair man. When I walked in they all rushed to their desks, got real busy and was mumbling something about their deadlines..

If the perp was local or known by ANY of MS's friends, then MS's friends would also recognize the white truck that LE is interested in. I am wondering why, if LE is still interested in that truck, LE does not make an announcement of: We continue to look for clues and are still interested in the white truck caught on video. It has been pointed out that the truck possibly has a service box over the right hub with writing on it.

If LE is not interested in the white truck anymore, they could say: Due to further developments in the case, we are no longer interested in the white truck and do not need any more tips called in as that particular item has been crossed off our list.

One way or the other, I believe it is time for LE to make an announcement.

As far as the family goes during a time of emotional upheaval people are allowed to think and say and do out-of-character things. I believe the best thing would be for them to open up and give any clue possible; however in many oher cases I have followed the family tends to close up and refuse to answer personal questions for whatever their reasons are.

I think it is a gamble to disenfranchise the public and depend on LE totally, but I am not in their shoes. The risk of that is losing the public's interest, the case becomes a cold case and in the end the family looks back and thinks "we should have handled it differently, but at the time we made that decision it was the best one we could make, knowing what we knew."

I think we are at a critical point here and now. Either the family and friends give the public more info and keep us in the loop, or public interest will melt away and people will find other more productive ways of spending their time. It is what it is.

bbm

Great Post!:star:

If media is a way to keep her name out there, but media won't do a story unless LE gives them something new then the family needs to press LE to give the media something new. Even if it is as simple as "we are still looking for the white truck" or "we are no longer interested in the white truck" ANYTHING!!! It's time to say SOMETHING!!!!

So that's what the family needs to do right now. Press Law Enforcement to say SOMETHING, so that the media has something "new" to report. then people will start talking again.

Also, wouldn't Nancy Grace do another show on her?

Can I just give a quick thanks to the mods around here? Seriously, you guys are amazing in how you're keeping everything moving as smoothly as possible. Thanks for the hard work, ya'll! <3

I don't find that comment by the sheriff in Holly's case strange, because I live in a very small town and we don't have that kind of thing happen here either.

Not picking on you, I promise, but I think it's that type of mentality that makes it even sadder when something *does* happen. I know there were a lot of people saying that about Lafayette (perhaps not here, but I know I heard a lot of people commenting along those lines when MS would come up at work), and I guess I've always had the impression that it could happen anywhere.

I think I'd be "falling out my damn chair" too if I heard someone in LE say that.

My son is a Lt. in a supervisory position currently, and yes, he was a detective for about 15 years. He is normally the one who does interviews for the local t.v. and newspaper, unless they happen to catch the sheriff himself, which is rare. If I am not mistaken, he does not contact the media first, they contact him. I haven't asked anyone else's opinions on the level of communication between LE and the public, because as I said, no one I know follows these cases except me.

I don't find that comment by the sheriff in Holly's case strange, because I live in a very small town and we don't have that kind of thing happen here either. We had one murder about 10 years ago and it made national news for about 2 days. IMO, our media really doesn't focus much on the crime that's going on around here. I heard one report of a young woman who went missing a few months ago, from an adjacent county and have heard nothing else. I don't even recall her name, but it is definitely not being followed by our local media. Shame, isn't it.

RE: I don't find that comment by the sheriff in Holly's case strange.

TxLady2, the most lethal weapon of a predator is silence.
The 2nd most lethal weapon is the element of surprise, due to lack of awareness.
"If you were a predator, where would you hunt your prey"?

Just a couple facts learned from the Holly Bobo search/research

100 illegal meth labs located in the two week search for Holly Bobo
TN #1 in the US in 2010 for illegal meth labs busts
International *advertiser censored* shop/truckers located at I-40 Memphis-Nashville, in vicinity of nursing school Holly attended; UT Parsons, TN

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/28/americas-silent-disaster/?partner=RSS

'America's silent disaster:' Mysteries of the missing

FBI: More than 1,100 'active' missing-persons cases in Tennessee; exact number unknown
By Jim Balloch

Posted June 28, 2009

bbm

Great Post!:star:

If media is a way to keep her name out there, but media won't do a story unless LE gives them something new then the family needs to press LE to give the media something new. Even if it is as simple as "we are still looking for the white truck" or "we are no longer interested in the white truck" ANYTHING!!! It's time to say SOMETHING!!!!

So that's what the family needs to do right now. Press Law Enforcement to say SOMETHING, so that the media has something "new" to report. then people will start talking again.

Also, wouldn't Nancy Grace do another show on her?

i just thought of another INTERESTING angle - the North Carolina case. the cajunnet would find great interest in that, i promise you. all LE would have to do is say we don't think they cases are related. then media could say there was a case in NC with a bump the bike then attempted rape. the girl got away. the perp is arrested and we DO or DO NOT think Mickey's case is related. that would be a GREAT way to resurrect her story

bumping the latest media coverage from the Baton Rouge paper, The Advocate

http://theadvocate.com/news/opinion/3208593-123/inside-report-for-july-5

way to go Advocate. i am glad that Mouton says they are still actively investigating and going through leads and that there IS bike information back from the lab. they aren't releasing that info, but i'm glad we've got that question officially answered - they have lab results.

i am SO GLAD for this article.

hey just putting this out there. the person cajun girl or whatever the screen name is, posted pacman graffiti. (near bw house?) all i'm gonna say is the ghost that the pacman was going to defeat had a bow on top. well i used to live in lafayette and way back when i was 14 i went to cajun heartland state fair and a group of african american people called me Casper. i had no tan at all. i see mickey is real pale. also the pacman vid game is like a road right? so its like whoever it was was trying to get her a lot? and this time it was "game over"? just thought it might help with a theory.

How unlikely is it that an individual or individuals would use a truck with a rack on the left hand of the bed and a custom tool box, or dually wheels for trailer pull for an on purpose attack? I think it's fairly unlikely. This truck has an owner that worries about keeping the interior immaculate, and realizes it associated with a company.

The other way truck, definitively a 4 door (you can see the handles), is somewhat more anonymous, save for the bondo job on the left rear panel. A more ghetto vehicle is best for dirty work.

If the Silverado is involved, and it came into contact with the bike, it's uniqueness with it's hardware and high dollar value seem to argue against it being a purposeful thing.. that's especially true if there is a company logo above the right rear wheel well. A thinking perp don't want that. A whoopsie perp is stuck in a moment they didn't imagine. A 'prank' gone wrong by someone known to Mickey crossed my mind.

A thinking perp would like to have a clean nondescript vehicle, right?

The most nondescript vehicle that I've seen in LE releases is the vehicle going opposite the 'hooptie'.. in a location I was calling 255 Saint Landry. I saw a Mickey map that had the location of the 'hooptie' cam in University. I'm confused about that. I'm comfortable with calling that opposite way vehicle a Dodge of a Jeep. The wheel base has me thinking Dodge Magnum, a playa mobile to the maxx.

A commenter on another forum mentioned the other way truck, or seemed to, 3 days before LE released the video. How'd he do that??

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

LA is a pretty big state, I'm fairly confident that MS isn't the only person that has gone missing in the past year in LA? How does the media pick and choose what 'missing' person to cover, especially in light of the fact there is very little information to report on. Believe it or not, it is not the media's job to 'investigate' cases, that's LE. When the media asks LE questions, it's only purpose is to 'advance' the story, not to actually find answers.

Everyone should know by know that media, whether it be national, state, local or the school newspaper, only put up stories that are relevant and interesting. Once the 'interesting' part goes away, the cameras and reporters move on the next 'interesting' thing. It is then up to family and friends to continue to keep the word out. Social media has made this even easier, as many people use social media.

The Find Mickey Shunick page has 31000+ likes. Say 4 times that many people have seen the page, ~125000 in the 6 weeks since Mickey went missing. Now think about a national television program. Even modestly rated cable news shows average about 430,000 per night.

------
Then what leads you to believe that this is: a local case, only?

Truly, I am interested in your viewpoint.

I believe it is, but that is because I do not believe she is alive, and they are trying to think of ways she could be.

i emailed jason brown, the guy that wrote today's advocate article and asked him to find out more about the white truck and clarify for us if he writes another article. it seems like he got 2 answers before writing today's article, that the task force is indeed still investigating all leads coming in, that the investigation has "by no means stopped", and that the results from the state lab are indeed back. so if he got those answers, i'm hoping he can get some answers regarding the truck. not sure if he will write another article any time soon, but if he does, i hope he will provide us with some clarification of the truck. i also told him about the Raleigh case so that he can hopefully tell us "no they aren't related"

How unlikely is it that an individual or individuals would use a truck with a rack on the left hand of the bed and a custom tool box, or dually wheels for trailer pull for an on purpose attack? I think it's fairly unlikely. This truck has an owner that worries about keeping the interior immaculate, and realizes it associated with a company.

The other way truck, definitively a 4 door (you can see the handles), is somewhat more anonymous, save for the bondo job on the left rear panel. A more ghetto vehicle is best for dirty work.

If the Silverado is involved, and it came into contact with the bike, it's uniqueness with it's hardware and high dollar value seem to argue against it being a purposeful thing.. that's especially true if there is a company logo above the right rear wheel well. A thinking perp don't want that. A whoopsie perp is stuck in a moment they didn't imagine. A 'prank' gone wrong by someone known to Mickey crossed my mind.

A thinking perp would like to have a clean nondescript vehicle, right?

The most nondescript vehicle that I've seen in LE releases is the vehicle going opposite the 'hooptie'.. in a location I was calling 255 Saint Landry. I saw a Mickey map that had the location of the 'hooptie' cam in University. I'm confused about that. I'm comfortable with calling that opposite way vehicle a Dodge of a Jeep. The wheel base has me thinking Dodge Magnum, a playa mobile to the maxx.

A commenter on another forum mentioned the other way truck, or seemed to, 3 days before LE released the video. How'd he do that??

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

Where do you see bondo? I am not doubting that it is there just haven't noticed it. One of the trucks I have seen elsewhere has bondo on the back where the Z71 decal would be.

The Find Mickey Shunick page has 31000+ likes. Say 4 times that many people have seen the page, ~125000 in the 6 weeks since Mickey went missing. Now think about a national television program. Even modestly rated cable news shows average about 430,000 per night.

I agree that a news story is going to generate more eyeballs on the case and at some point this case was shown on Today, was it not? Some folks are asking for national news to continue to highlight this case and I don't think that's very realistic at this time, there no new information to report on.

I agree that a news story is going to generate more eyeballs on the case and at some point this case was shown on Today, was it not? Some folks are asking for national news to continue to highlight this case and I don't think that's very realistic at this time, there no new information to report on.

Think about other cases that garnered national attention. There was not new information on those either but they still stayed in the limelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny