IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
She also said they were abducted... right off the bat. She just knew it. I will see if I can find the article.

Elizabeth's mother made that statement on Saturday to the Courier.

"I think they were taken," Misty said. "They usually don't go that far away."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

Again, I don't think there is anything unusual about that. Aside from the fact that statements in newspapers are often taken out of context, I don't find it unusual that a mother might fear that her missing 8 year old daughter was abducted. When my boys were teens (well, one still is) and they were going to be coming home later than expected, I would get a phone call saying, "Hi, Mom. I'm calling to tell you that I'm going to be late. I've NOT been abducted, Mom!!" I guess you can tell that I read about abductions a lot. :blushing:

So the grandmother saw them at 12:15??

I am thinking the bikes were dumped...although I don't know how easy it would have been to do that. I know it's been addressed sorry.

thank you sooooo much for this very detailed description of the trail~! Do you think that they made it to the spot that the bikes were found? It would seem to me that they did because so much of it seems to be out in the open where people would have seen something happen..

then again maybe not... we have seen plenty of other cases where children have been snatched walking home from school in broad daylight (sommer thompson), on their way to school (amber dubois) and the list goes on.

Is there a lot of traffic in town around lunchtime?? I am wondering if a canvas of downtown (re: stop all cars going thru town and question people) would be helpful re: to jog anyone's memory on if they could have witnessed something unknowingly.

I just don't see anyone - child or adult - choosing to stop at that spot for leisure. I have always felt, though, that if someone had mind to prey upon a trail-user, that spot, right where the inside (lake-side) fence stops, would be the most-likely.

No, there isn't a lot of traffic in this town. Lederman's is in a block-long strip mall, set back off of and separated by Lafayette Ave by a huge parking lot that is also one block long. Lafayette is probably the busiest road in town, passes through what most would call "downtown" Evansdale - although there really isn't such a thing in this particular town. The Collins' live directly behind it, can probably see most of the parking lot from their yard, can see Lafayette from their yard, etc. Lafeyette runs basically E-W on the north edge of town, two busy-ish roads run N-S: River Forest, which terminates at Lafayette and runs along the dike along the river, and Evans, which crosses Lafayette at a spot most would call the center of town and runs south to Gilbert. The police/fire station is on the corner of Gilbert and Evans. The trail crosses Gilbert perhaps half-mile East of the station, and runs roughly parallel to Evans.

I'm curious about the person who reports having seen the girls' bikes at 12:27. Do we know anything about him?

I believe he known locally, and has posted on FB confirming he was the tipster. Many locals use this trail daily, for jogging, biking, walking. If you came across bikes at the spot he did, and you were biking, you would remember needing to swerve and also not hit the fence, as like I said, its a blind-corner area, with chain-link on both sides of the trail, which is maybe 8ft wide.

I don't know. I would take the sighting seriously if he actually KNEW the girls.

I don't believe he knew the girls. I believe his daughter knew someone in one of the girls' family. This is a very small town, many active locals know and know of each other. Drew Collins (Elizabeth's father) owns a well-known tree service. They are active in the community and in their church, and are well-known.

Sorry if this has been asked. (Hard to catch up on 25 pages of posts.) Was it hot that day? I fear they thought to go for a swim.

Praying the girls are okay and found...now.

Incredibly hot. I've lived in Phoenix, and that doesn't compare to this heat we're having. It was 90+ yesterday before 11am, coupled with 30%-40% humidity, making ANY outdoor activity uncomfortable during mid-day. It is 95 right now, stepping out of the AC takes your breath away. Naturally, swimming in that lake is on many non-locals' minds, but like I said, I've simply never seen anyone in the lake, rarely even a boat on it. We have a waterpark very close, another in the next town over, and a free beach nearby. Many, many homes in Evansdale have pools - mostly above-ground. Meyers Lake is used for picnics, some fishing, the park is loved by kids, but the lake itself us mostly just used as a pleasant backdrop to usage of the trail.

Locals have said it is almost impossible to get in there to swim. Both lakes were dragged yesterday, they were not there.

It wouldn't be impossible. The water fairly easily accessible from almost anywhere on the lake, save for the backyards of a few houses, and that specific part that is fenced off for trail safety. If you wanted to swim in that lake, that spot is the very last place you'd attempt it, in most peoples' minds. It would require effort, whereas almost anywhere else you could just take a few steps off the trail and be in the water (which is not deep).

Whose Dad? I believe someone may have the person who said he saw the bikes at 12:27 confused with one of the Dad of one of the girls. They weren't looking for the girls at 12:27. They began looking for the girls around 2:00.

He was not a father of the girls, but rather the father of someone who knows the girls that was posting on FB. He also posted, his identity is known, etc, and there was nothing suspicious about it. Rather, it was a helpful, friendly tip (one of very few, tbh).

There have been pictures posted by the meida of the area where the bikes were found.

I haven't been verified though I am happy to. What do I need to do?

Ollipop, what are your thoughts on the bikes being dumped?

I only say that because someone could pull into that small driveway like a worker and within a minute or two, be at the place the bikes were found to dump them all under the cover of trees. Though the trees are not super thick, they are thick enough to hide you from the highway above. Know what I mean?

I agree that this small part of the trail creeps me out. Even riding it as an adult, I just want to hurry up and get through it. It's small, secluded, and hard to see whos coming ahead. I cant imagine two little girls deciding to get off their bikes in this spot of all places. I can't imagine that they hadnt been seen elsewhere if they indeed rode bikes to the lake that day.

I just thought it peculiar that the bikes would be found at the most-secluded, least-noticeable from the road spot, in a location that you and I would never think to get off our bikes. Getting the bikes there just to ditch them would also be odd, imo. That is why I was wondering if other kids didn't come across those bikes somewhere else, perhaps farther up the trail (skatepark, closed school, etc) and ride them there as a place to sort of hide while they dug through the bag/purse. After discovering nothing of value, they may have just tossed the bag over the fence, aiming for the lake but it hits a branch or something and falls short. I don't know. That spot where the fence ends at those woods is just scary, and I can't help but think that the girls may have been stopped further up the trail slightly, and their bikes were just moved a few dozen feet out of sight and closer to the water.

That's true, it would appear to be more risky to abduct them in the middle of town than while they were riding their bikes out by the lake. Could they have gotten into a vehicle with someone they knew? However, it also appears where the bikes were found to be a difficult place for the actual abduction based upon what our local poster has reported regarding the area. This case is confusing, and largely based on the time frame between when the girls were last seen, the bikes spotted and the girls reported missing.

:waitasec:

MOO

The timeframe is the hardest to justify. I think we can be fairly certain of when the bikes were spotted by the passerby, due to him having an accurate record of the time he placed a call shortly thereafter. The grandmother's account of seeing them at 12:15, I hope has been verified. Is it possible she never looked at a clock or never noticed the time, and only came up with that time after the fact? A half-hour either way could make a huge difference.

that abc video I just posted said the phone was not equipped to make calls... it was only used to play games and was found with the purse

The girls were seen downtown at around 12 :15 p.m., a tipster called LE and said that he or she saw the girls' bikes out by the lake at 12 ;27 p.m.

Someone they knew,either well or slightly,offered them a ride. Someone who saw them downtown... MOO

12:27? REALLY? Not "around 12:30"? What possessed this person to check the time when he saw two bikes on a bike path, which I'd assume is NOT "hinky" in and of itself. Why would you make a mental note of the PRECISE time? My assumption would have been that one rider had to pee behind a tree and the other was the "lookout."

12:27? REALLY? Not "around 12:30"? What possessed this person to check the time when he saw two bikes on a bike path, which I'd assume is NOT "hinky" in and of itself. Why would you make a mental note of the PRECISE time? My assumption would have been that one rider had to pee behind a tree and the other was the "lookout."

He had called his daughter around that time, that's how he remembered.

the poster said he made a call shortly after...

thus the exact time.

:moo:

See, I recall being 9-12yo and riding bikes with my friends. We had a lot of wooded trails to ride on and we were constantly ditching our bikes on the side to explore the woods. The thicker, the better. So stopping along there doesn't seem that unusual to me. JMOO

Hollye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to think the girls dropped the bikes in that area of the path... if you were the perp why wouldn't you hide the bikes or at least make an attempt to?

also.. that sure is a tight timeline.. like minutes...

it is just crazy! I cannot wrap my head around this at all...

So the grandmother saw them at 12:15??

I am thinking the bikes were dumped...although I don't know how easy it would have been to do that. I know it's been addressed sorry.

Only approximately 15 minutes with which to abduct the girls and dump the bikes also, assuming the man saw the bikes at 12:27pm. Granted a lot can be accomplished in that time frame, but it would appear if so, that it was planned.

MOO

I am new as of Friday so not sure exactly what I am doing...
We live an hour South of Evansdale and drive by the lake all the time on 380. I never would have noticed something going on in the area where the bikes where found. I can't imagine what the parents are going through. As far as how they are behaving in interviews and on tv, adrenaline kicks in. You find a way to make it through this kind of thing, there is no other option. When you have closure or when the camera is turned off, you can cry. God be with these little girls and their families. My stomache is sick thinking about what could be. I have an 8 and 10 year old daughter and honestly I am on the more protective side. Iowa is relatively safe, but they aren't allowed out of my sight, on facebook or on the internet period without my supervision. As far as them leaving without water, my kiddos wouldn't take water on a 100 degree day, they don't think ahead like that. So many loose ends, praying this has a happy ending.....:(

"I think they were taken," Misty said. "They usually don't go that far away."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

Again, I don't think there is anything unusual about that. Aside from the fact that statements in newspapers are often taken out of context, I don't find it unusual that a mother might fear that her missing 8 year old daughter was abducted. When my boys were teens (well, one still is) and they were going to be coming home later than expected, I would get a phone call saying, "Hi, Mom. I'm calling to tell you that I'm going to be late. I've NOT been abducted, Mom!!" I guess you can tell that I read about abductions a lot. :blushing:

I dont find anything odd about what the mother said either. She knows these girls and thinks this is not something they would do willingly. If my children did not come home then I would immediately think someone had kidnapped them. There were never the type of children to stay away from home without letting us know where they were.

And I think the mother is absolutely right. Imo, these two precious girls have been taken by a sexual predator who saw them together.

We always like to think our children know better than to talk to a stranger but sadly we see cases time after time where they will and do. We have seen shows like Oprah that shows just how easy it is to lure children away. These predators are experts at luring little naive children.

He could have even tapped their bikes with his vehicle (on purpose) and got out and told them he was sorry and he would take them home or buy them an ice cream..etc. Since the bikes were found discarded it is more likely he is driving a pickup truck. It doesnt take but a second or two to put two child's bikes in the bed of the truck.

Imo, this is not going to end well for either victim or family.

The truth is we see and read about cases almost everyday where a stranger pedo is trying to get a young child or children into their vehicles.

God bless them both.

IMO

After looking at the area from street view from U.S. 20, my initial impression is that there really isn't any way someone could abduct two girls from that spot very easily. It would be a long walk to a waiting car, with two kids to control. If one had on flip flops, its hard to imagine getting them both drug to a car and her not kicking off her flip flops in the process.

If there were two perps, one on the hwy side of fence and the other on the trail they could maybe hand them over, but thats a stretch of the imagination. imo

I tend to think the girls dropped the bikes in that area of the path... if you were the perp why wouldn't you hide the bikes or at least make an attempt to?

also.. that sure is a tight timeline.. like minutes...

it is just crazy! I cannot wrap my head around this at all...

He may have been trying to throw off LE? And he may have succeeded.

Planned by local perp very familiar with the area to have done this in the alloted timeline.

:moo:

I'm sure it has already been mentioned.....RSO's in the area, have they been checked already?????

Sorry if this has been asked. (Hard to catch up on 25 pages of posts.) Was it hot that day? I fear they thought to go for a swim.

Praying the girls are okay and found...now.

I remember someone saying 83 degrees

I am new as of Friday so not sure exactly what I am doing...
We live an hour South of Evansdale and drive by the lake all the time on 380. I never would have noticed something going on in the area where the bikes where found. I can't imagine what the parents are going through. As far as how they are behaving in interviews and on tv, adrenaline kicks in. You find a way to make it through this kind of thing, there is no other option. When you have closure or when the camera is turned off, you can cry. God be with these little girls and their families. My stomache is sick thinking about what could be. I have an 8 and 10 year old daughter and honestly I am on the more protective side. Iowa is relatively safe, but they aren't allowed out of my sight, on facebook or on the internet period without my supervision. As far as them leaving without water, my kiddos wouldn't take water on a 100 degree day, they don't think ahead like that. So many loose ends, praying this has a happy ending.....:(

:welcome5: ! :wave: to lurkers and guests - please feel free to join Websleuths and join the conversation.

I am also thinking that something is not right with this story. I mean two KIDS bikes by the side of a lake but you see no kids. That would suggest there is a problem and you would want to ask where the kids were. My first thought would be drowned kids and I would contact somebody right away. The excuse that they weren`t reported missing doesn`t hold air. How was he to know they weren`t reported missing when he was out riding his bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus