LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess what has led me to believe it was a crime of opportunity is that it would be much easier (I think) to abduct someone on foot. There are plenty of young women around that time of night, many intoxicated and not fully aware of their surroundings, that would be an easier target. Why not follow and grab one of these girls on their way into their home?

Intentionally hitting a bike rider for an abduction takes a lot if risk. It could draw unwanted attention, you could be seen exiting your vehicle, there could be an undetermined amount of time to retrieve the bike and victim, you would have to control the victim while you fooled with the bike, the victim would at least suffer some injury and may bleed leaving DNA in your vehicle. It is just so unpredictable knowing where the victim and bike will both end up and knowing how much force to use for the desired result.

If this was not an accident then I think it had to just be an uncontrollable impulse to grab her by any means possible.

This all keeps me believing that it was not preplanned and he probably had to make some quick decisions on how he would cover his tracks.

I think that it was premeditated due to the fact that biking is like driving to girls like Mickey, but walking is not. Walking home is considered more dangerous than cycling home. Am I making sense? Unless totally drunk, girls don't just walk home. But a these cycling girls will ride home.
This is just my opinion from knowing g a few cycling females. They don't sense danger to be as prominent as it would've if they were walking. Not many expect a truck to ride upon them and hit them. I'm they do now!

Early on, two things that made me think this was an experienced perp had to do with the handgrips and her cell phone.

Apparently, her phone was disabled around the time of her abduction to prevent tracking.

I had read that soft handgrips are magnets for dna. I always thought they were removed to sanitize them, maybe dip them in bleach/other.

Wayyyyyyyy up thread someone mentioned that BSL probably was a CSI fanatic. He obviously has studied forensics.

Refusing to talk in my opinion equals admitting to the crime too. If it were me, and I was innocent, I'd be talking to everybody and their little dog. I'd ask for a lie detector and anything else that might help to prove my innocence. Oh yeah, he's guilty as sin.

He is thinking in term of legal guilt, IMO...if he admits nothing, then it is up to LE to prove each element. He is not going to help them do that, unless and until it benefits him.

Early on, two things that made me think this was an experienced perp had to do with the handgrips and her cell phone.

Apparently, her phone was disabled around the time of her abduction to prevent tracking.

I had read that soft handgrips are magnets for dna. I always thought they were removed to sanitize them, maybe dip them in bleach/other.

Wayyyyyyyy up thread someone mentioned that BSL probably was a CSI fanatic. He obviously has studied forensics.

He may have just shut off her phone to keep her from using it; we don't know for sure if he remembered about his own phone. If he was so CSI-oriented, why leave the grips there at all, why not ditch them elsewhere or destroy them? And he seemed to have forgotten all about video, which is really stupid these days. Also, we don't know what LE has to place him at WB, but they have something, another something that did not occur to him. I don't think he is very smart at all.

I also don't believe he is a serial killer who has been getting away with crimes for years. He spent most of his adult years in prison and before that, seemed to stick to assaulting women he knew. JMO

Very confusing. I don't understand why he would go to two hospitals unless he had the poison ivy and finger treated first and then went home and recieved the stab injuries and then went on to New Orleans. That doesn't make sense either though.

It could account for police saying they know where he was during those hours.

He was a very busy man.

I think i remember reading that he was instructed by Oschner's to return home to have his surgery.

maybe he lost his wallet at Wb...while getting rid of the bike and thats why he had to say it was stollen. Do we know if he did get a new drivers license? Maybe thats how the police know he was there...and when he was there. He may not have known where he lost it..so reported it missing the next day..makeing up the story about the attack. So the police would know he was there before he reported the wallet missing? Being the morning after mickey was abducted.

Refusing to talk in my opinion equals admitting to the crime too. If it were me, and I was innocent, I'd be talking to everybody and their little dog. I'd ask for a lie detector and anything else that might help to prove my innocence. Oh yeah, he's guilty as sin.

I can tell you that that is a scary proposition, even if you are innocent. What will you do when the exculpating parts are ignored and other parts that may seem innocent enough are used against you? Certainly would suggest you contact a lawyer before making any statements.

I agree. LE has something for a Murder 1 charge as links have stated on prior threads LE feels confident in taking what they have to the GJ. I pray Mickey is found. I dont think he will give up her location. I think it's due to 2 reasons. His last power and control and why implicate himself at this point. Who knows though down the pike when the reality of the DP is on/off the table.

so very sad to see the pain in her face when he asks how she felt when LE told her that Mickey may not still be alive. Made me cry. My heart breaks daily for the Shunicks. Someone please find Mickey!!! And let this family start to heal!

I doubt he was "asleep". I had surgery on my arm to remove a benign tumor that was fairly large, and was awake for the entire procedure. My arm was numbed.

I also just had surgery for a benign tumor on my finger, but I was not "put to sleep" as in general anesthesia with the endotrachial tube etc. I was given IV anesthetic and one minute I was talking and the next I was waking up in recovery. I was totally oblivious to what had been done. Oh, and it was done as an outpatient procedure.

He evidently took greater care in hiding Mickey...and was pretty careless with the bike, overall. That is part of why I think this is the last thing he did. He may have had a half-formed plan in mind as to where he would hide a body someday, but not a bike.[/QUOTE

The abduction/murder/disposal of bike may all have occurred in a very short space of time and in quick succession, nowhere near his home in Church Point. I'm thinking HIS blood, as well as fingerprints, were on the handgrips and other parts of the bike and well as Mickey's. I am guessing that he used a box cutter or knife to hurriedly remove the grips, and that's when he cut his own finger. I keep thinking of him as a Jekyll and Hyde character. He can obviously be cool and calm and charming enough to get dates with women, but when this dark side of him takes over, he sees red and charges headfirst into violence. I believe Mickey put up such a fight, that the violence escalated quickly, with no time for rape or torture of any kind. This would make him even more angry and frustrated, and in his rage, he had no time for rational thinking. That's why he's behind bars right now of course, and why he didn't have time to think of a better hiding place for the bike, but knew he had to get out of the immediate vicinity, so he drove towards New Orleans to give himself an alibi. Big question is: where did he put Mickey? - and, are there other victims?

maybe he lost his wallet at Wb...while getting rid of the bike and thats why he had to say it was stollen. Do we know if he did get a new drivers license? Maybe thats how the police know he was there...and when he was there. He may not have known where he lost it..so reported it missing the next day..makeing up the story about the attack. So the police would know he was there before he reported the wallet missing? Being the morning after mickey was abducted.

His wallet would not really prove he was there...I hope LE has more than something like that. Hoping for some physical proof not only that he was there but that he handled the bike.

Oh, my. Two <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">hospital</a> visits in less than 24 hours?!

Do we know the time that he was treated at Opelousas General? I'm wondering if the treatment at OGH was the Sunday... just wondering about this.

This guy has no conscience. He is an OJ Simpson... can do no wrong... he appears to think he is the victim...

Wishing he could see the light and give poor Mickey up to her family so they could be at peace!

Another thing... he certainly would not be traveling with Mickey in the vehicle all the way to New Orleans, nor would he have left her in the vehicle while being treated at either hospital... Too much at stake to do such a thing. What are y'all's thoughts on that?

I do think he was lurking, knowing that young girls/college coeds would be going home at that time... he was stalking... and very well may have knew her routine/route.

What about the fiance, didn't she find it odd that he was "gone" so much????

Just some thoughts from a newbie!

At first I thought this too. I mean why say the thief took your wallet, if you are going to use it later, or if you are not go through the motions of replacing it? I don't know if he did replace it or not. When he purchased the new truck he had a license and had altered it to white out the RSO status. This fact lead to the car dealership lady (God Bless) becoming suspect of him. Being able to avoid showing your license to police (in NOLA) makes good sense if you are a RSO and do not want to draw attention to this fact at a hospital; especially if the RSO status was whited out. So, to me there is a reasonable explanation for the wallet to have been stolen in his robbery story. Making me discount my initial thoughts about what if he lost the wallet during the imagined struggle with Mickey. Just my thoughts.

I have been trying to find the time or day that he visited Opelousas General, but I have not been able to find that. The article linked did not say what time or what day.

I have been trying to find the time or day that he visited Opelousas General, but I have not been able to find that. The article linked did not say what time or what day.

No confirmation yet on date or time. We will have to see when this "surgery" occurred.

This makes me think he did not go to WB right after abducting Mickey. He probably wouldn't have had the equipment in the truck to remove the grips. Wonder when the bike was put in WB?

Check out the brain on Kateinfl! Excellent point! He could've had a few tools in his truck, but Mr Shunick insisted that they would've been extremely hard to remove even if he did. I think you're on to something. Also, he wouldn't have wanted to be seen tinkering with those for a long time in public. I think his house is the only place where he could've fought with those grips till they came off (without being spotted). JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu