IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the guy on JVM tonight with Misty is the father of Lyric? Is that correct?He was standing with her.

Family members believe that someone must have abducted them and today Heather Collins, the mother of Elizabeth, spoke to Shepard Smith over the phone. She told him, “Elizabeth would never go on a bike ride down there by herself without an adult … And it’s 1.5 miles from our house. Her normal route is around like the block or you know up and down the block, that’s it.”

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/07/17/mother-of-missing-iowa-girl-elizabeth-collins-speaks-out/

re: the dating site I haven't seen anything in MSM but it was discussed here: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1 (with a few more informative posts after it: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178723&page=24).

From what I read here it was pretty obvious on Lyric's FB page/timeline. It also sounded like the Zoosk profile was more her Mom than her. Although I wouldn't be totally surprised that a 10 year old might be curious enough to check it out.

My child who is near in age to Lyric plays an online game about animals that seems harmless enough. However, in reviewing her email not long ago, I was very shocked to discover that she had made a profile on a dating site. It turns out the animal game gives some kind of in-game points when players follow referral links and sign up for various things on other sites, and the dating site was one of them.

This could be one explanation for why Lyric had a profile on a dating site. My kid was smart enough to use a fake name and information, but not all would be. I was still pretty ticked off at the game for suggesting such a thing when they know kids play, and also let my kid know that it is not ok to sign up for anything without my permission. Quite frankly, even if a child isn't going to use his or her real information, the thought of them even browsing profiles is sickening. From there, it's not hard to imagine a kid feeling tempted to respond to one, and then anything could happen.

I'm confused. I thought when NG asked grandma how the day began, she said she went to Heather's every day for five hours because Heather is sick (not necessarily verbatim). That sounds like Heather was in her own home. The two stories don't jive, Misty/grandma. IMO

Grandma must have called both misty and heather to advise the girls were missing. Then they both came to the house where gma was.

FYI----There was a over 5 attempted child abductions around the area of PERU, IL today (which is just miles from my home) and the surrounding areas. Man, white van, 50 years old, Bald. They caught him and are taking one of the children he tried to abduct to the police station to identify him. I did alert the local LE of this case (in case they are living under a rock). Heard all this on our scanner at home and a few private FB posts. Scary World!

Seems to be more than the usual number of mistakes being verbalized by most of those concerned.

yesterday she said Heather called the police at 2PM
today she said about 230PM

I am sure these people deserve a bit of a break. They had a lot of things going on. It is not like we are talking days. These are minutes. Yes, minutes count...but...they are human and I imagine anyone of us could easily not know the exact time in a situation like this. If you have ever been in an accident or near-accident and had a huge adrenalin rush, you can identify with how everything happened in slow motion and seconds seemed like minutes. In a panic situation, many people can't accurately gauge time. In fact, if they were saying the time exactly, that would be more concerning. Again, we are talking minutes, not days...

Positive witness confirmation that he saw the girls that Friday - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/co...-missing-Iowa-girls-after-their-disappearance

This makes me feel that others also knew it was a common occurence for the children to ride their bikes.

Someone that knew this was there waiting Friday and kidnapped them, imo.

I dont think they are in the lake. I read that the dogs alerted toward the woods instead of the water.

Imo, they are probably somewhere in that area but not in the water.

IMO

I don't think it would take a lot to lure these girls away. Probably a small conversation...like:

"Hey, what are you girls doing? Gosh, I like those bikes! It sure is hot out here today....I'm about to go up a ways and get a cold drink. Would you girls like me to bring you a drink back? I have the money to get it. Heck, you can ride up there with me if you want to. We'll be right back."

To two young and friendly girls, this type of conversation might make them feel so comfortable that they would go.

I am sure these people deserve a bit of a break. They had a lot of things going on. It is not like we are talking days. These are minutes. Yes, minutes count...but...they are human and I imagine anyone of us could easily not know the exact time in a situation like this. If you have ever been in an accident or near-accident and had a huge adrenalin rush, you can identify with how everything happened in slow motion and seconds seemed like minutes. In a panic situation, many people can't accurately gauge time. In fact, if they were saying the time exactly, that would be more concerning. Again, we are talking minutes, not days...

I am sure everything that has happened since Friday is a blur for these families.

It will take more time for them to be able to think clearly.

IMO

What was the weather like 4 days ago when they disappeared???
Here it was in the 90's, hot, muggy......did they take water?
Could someone of offered them something?
Could they be in someone's house held hostage?
Pediphiles been checked out?

grandma started looking for the girls at about 12:30 and by 2:00 heather knew something had happened and went to the police dept to report the girls missing.

I don't mean for that to sound like my way is right, just that I thought the earrings made her look older then my 10 year d.

I tend to agree and I also think as someone else mentioned she does look mature for her age. As in the "old soul" kind of mature, not as in she's hitting puberty early or anything. I think some of it's the earrings, some of it's maybe her size. Granted I'm short but she's not much shorter than me and I've got a good <ahem> 20-something years on her.

From the various different stories coming out it sounds like she may be a lot more adventurous than the family realizes too. Or maybe like many kids they're taking advantage a little bit of the shuffling between houses and caretakers. My jaw drops when my husband tells me about some of his 'adventures' with his cousin when they were around this age and in a similar situation where they were watched by Mom, Grandma, Dad, Stepmoms/Stepdads, Aunts/Uncles. It makes it easy to "break the rules" or even for people to forget and think "wait was he/she at Aunt so-and-so's today?" Not saying that happened in this case as it sounds pretty clear everyone knew who was in charge of watching the girls at the time. Just saying it can happen and kids know how to manipulate things, sometimes without even realizing they're doing it.

Some thoughts -
Misty reminds me of Diena Thompson who was so strong in front of the camera when her daughter Somer went missing.

Someone mentioned a floating dock. Could the girls's bodies be stuck under it?

If the grass was so high between the path and the highway, I would think the LE would have seen where the grass had been pushed down if someone had crossed through it to reach the highway or the path.

Just a regular day in Evansdale except two young girls go missing with no trace and no clues as to their whereabouts. There was nothing really special going on in or around Evansdale on July 13th. There were no festivals going and no sporting events - there was nothing going on to attract any non-locals to Evansdale on the 13th July based on the calendar of events for the area:

http://events.waterloocvb.org/entertainment/music.aspx

From gitana 1, snipped from a long post:

"I'm sorry, I totally disagree with you. I think the family's reactions are super important. Maybe not to finding these two girls but to many other cases.

I have been sleuthing for years. I have been following missing kids cases for much longer than that. Making connections, noting reactions, etc., is very key to determining what direction to go in.

For example, comparisons with many other cases and different family's demeanor, was a long discussion on the Isabel Celis thread. I argued and do believe that her parents stoicism is not necessarily a sign of guilt. I gave several comparisons, like to Elizabeth Smart's dad.

No, noting, discussing and cataloging how the families react is very important to me and helps me learn what to look for and what not to focus on.

I do not believe that discussing the family's reactions is disrespectful or hurtful to finding the girls. If it bothers anyone, I would suggest moving on past."

BBM

I, too, have been researching/investigating missing and unidentified persons for many, many years. I am not a newbie, I have dedicated decades of my life doing this.

I understand how "noting, discussing, and cataloging" a family's demeanor can be helpful IF there is some thought that family dynamics played a role in either the missing person having run away, or a family member actually being involved in the disappearance. I in no way mean to imply that a family's demeanor is not of interest in some cases. If a family member refuses to cooperate, or gives conflicting stories, or otherwise seems to hinder an investigation, it would be ridiculous NOT to talk about it.

But how does that apply in any way to this case? Please, can anyone tell me how being snarky about someone giving their "smiliest" interview helps us better understand how two girls seemingly vanished.

I am not going to mention this again, I guess it's all been said.

My intentions are certainly NOT to criticize... just to state the facts and assist with the timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nottinghillhandyman