*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if it's already been posted, but this is from the Washington Post, which is more reputable than the Daily Mail. Of course, it's coming from anonymous sources, and it only says that the mother was concerned about her son becoming withdrawn, not that she suspected he'd do something criminal:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/suspect-in-colorado-massacre-due-in-court/2012/07/23/gJQAa3oN4W_story_1.html

Neighbors and people close to the family said Arlene Holmes had confided to friends that she was very concerned about her son’s social isolation and had sought counseling for him years earlier. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

Gosh the photos of Gordon Cowden's teenage daughters in that dailymail article really show their agony and are just so heartbreaking, all that pain for the rest of their lives over a completely senseless act in a place they should have been in complete safety

I dont agree,
Normal people do not kill... this guy was not in a war, not a cop, not defending anyone.
That would be normal.

this guy was evil and Mentaly ill. Normal folks do not do that.
Just because he knew what he was doing does not mean he is well.

I was in the streets of NYC one day this summer during the heat wave.
A guy insisted he had to take all his clothes off because he was hot.
The cops arrived, and he acted as if it was normal....
He said it is too hot to wear cloths... When the cops told him it is not allowed but he can go home and do that. he said he is home, and he lives on that street.
YES he was a homeless MI and he did know what he was doing. He kept telling the cops he does not care how they want to dress, he does not have to listen to them he is over 18...
OK - ambulance arrived and took him to mental hospital.
MAYBE he just wanted to be in the A/C and not on the hot pavement...
but he was MI.

MANY MI people are brilent and do know what they are doing. but they seem to think it is OK when they are not on meds.
I don't know what you mean by "normal" people.

Can be very biased, as their headlines almost always, when dealing with immigrants, point out that fact and thus signal their political viewpoint, i.e., anti-immigration. I'd much rather quote the Guardian but they rarely cover crime, especially breaking crime stories.

I absolutely agree with all your points here. I've noticed on the DM website that even their celebrity stories can be incorrect in their details and they don't seem to change them until their readers call them out on the mistakes!

I suppose that The Guardian is always a lot more careful in sourcing and checking their facts, which could be why they don't seem to cover breaking crime stories.

Yeah. I hate the t.v. experts, and article experts. Really this should not be done. No one can diagnose the defendant until they spend time with him. It always chaffs me. I know the public wants an "expert" to agree with their own thinking, but really, it is not good for a case. It is not even proper to give an opinion if you are an expert and have never spent time with the accused.

Yet I have no problem giving my own unprofessional opinion on a crime message board. Not conflicting much, huh? :blushing:
Well sure that happens with medical doctors, lawyers, professors, research studies, lab results, dentists, lab tests, medication results --

best source of info mom dad sister professors ---IMO those that had contact with him for long peroids of time..................

I absolutely agree with all your points here. I've noticed on the DM website that even their celebrity stories can be incorrect in their details and they don't seem to change them until their readers call them out on the mistakes!

I suppose that The Guardian is always a lot more careful in sourcing and checking their facts, which could be why they don't seem to cover breaking crime stories.
Traditionally, Guardian readership has not clamored to read true crime accounts.

Why the Mail is one of my "go-to" sources is simply because, as traditionally tabloids always have, it concerns itself with crime stories - and that is our chief interest at WS.
I never read em before have you found them accurate (like in long term) historically - lots bashing of them here . What has your exp been , in terms of them not being exploitation junk?

I think this movie is going DVD.
No more theater exposure. :waitasec:

I remember the first one it was scary movie....
This one has a stigma to it now.

Huh? The movie has been estimated to have made $161 million over the opening weekend and I am still seeing previews for it on TV. I saw it with my husband over the weekend and it was good and everyone in our theater had an enjoyable experience.

This tragedy was HORRIBLE. It sickens me. But there's no reason to blame Warner brothers, the dark knight, the actors, the theater, moviegoers, or anyone EXCEPT the shooter for what happened. People should not refrain from going to the movies out of fear of something like this happening. I for one am not going to let the shooter get the satisfaction of scaring me out of an innocent activity such as going to the movies.

It is sad that this movie will forever be associated with a terrible tragedy, but Warner Brothers is donating money to the victims and their families in Colorado, and while that does nothing to bring the victims back or anything, we can't forget to place the blame where it belongs: with JH.

MOTHERS KNO LONG BEFORE THE DOCTORS DO.

I think the parents were also in a strained relationship because of the son.
I think Mom Knew
I think Dad was in denial.

Can I give you a link? NO….
This scenario, I can see happening....I guess maybe in the future some other info might come out but with the gag order in place we probably won't know much for a long time to come

I can see it not being an act either tbh.
I take on board what you are saying, then I'm factoring in on top of that a huge crash to the system (after all the adrenalin he would have been running on that terrible day) plus a come down from whatever drugs he had in his system. It really doesn't suprise me that he looked the way he did.
He is a mess...

Thank you!

that is absolutely not true.
you start spitting, they will throw you into solitary confinement....probably put a mask over your face - looks like pantyhose sort of...a spit mask...

jails do not typically have a pharmacy on site. they are not doctors. nor is a jail a medical facility. they cant just hand out meds not knowing the inmates medical history. he was not in jail long enough to even get a full medical history completed much less a psyc profile done.

Thank you!

Goodness, I can't imagine all the lawsuits there would be for a pattern of drugging people just for spitting! :blushing:

Those of us familiar with the process at county jails understand that the coward was highly unlikely to have been medicated at the hearing, 72 hours after he was arrested.

Here's the process:
1. Arrest.
2. Booking.
3. Meet with a nurse.
4. If you state you take medications and have someone who can bring the prescriptions to the jail and have them reviewed by the nurse, you MAY be able to get them without having to be examined by a physician. This is more common in cases like diabetes (but not always). It is far less common in cases of mental disorders.
5. If you exhibit bizarre behaviors, you may be isolated or restrained and in some case, placed on suicide watch which just means your clothing is taken from you and you are observed more often than others who have been arrested. This includes if you are screaming for help, eating your own waste or begging for medication. You will likely not be given any:
May Molina was a prominent civil rights activist who was known for protesting police actions. In May 2004, Molina was arrested on a drug tip. When Molina was arrested, she told the police officers that she took thyroid and diabetes medications, but the police told her she could not bring her medications to the jail as they "were not permitted in lockup."
About 16 hours into her detention, Molina met with her long-time attorney. According to Molina's attorney, she could barely stand, walk, or speak. Molina's attorney told the jail guards to get her to a hospital because she was in very poor health, and Molina repeatedly asked for her medications from her cell. However, none of the guards on duty responded, and a few hours later, Molina was found dead in her cell.
. http://www.lexisnexis.com/community...n-of-medicine-to-a-person-in-jail-constitute-
Hoff has exhibited erratic behavior since he was 5, and he was treated with anti-psychotic medications, kept at group homes and received other services for the mentally ill through adolescence.

He recently earned a 60-day jail stay for theft, and sheriff's officials denied his parent's attempts to get him his meds while behind bars. His parents now fear he has sunk into full-blown psychosis.
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2012/02/matt_hoff_missing_oc_jail.php

Gregg County authorities on Thursday confirmed medications were denied an inmate who died because they were on the jail’s list of non-approved drugs.
Amy Lynn Cowling, 33, of Gilmer was found unresponsive in a separation cell just before midnight Tuesday. She was declared dead on arrival about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday at Good Shepherd Medical Center.

“Cowling’s family and friends repeatedly contacted the sheriff’s office to inform them about the inmate’s medical situation and that it was imperative that she be administered her physician-prescribed medications, but the family’s requests were dismissed each time,” Tefteller said in a written statement.
Davis said there was a reason for the refusal.
“All three medications that Cowling had been taking for the past 10 years were not approved by the jail,” he said.
Davis said Cowling was taking methadone, a synthetic opiate; Seroquel, used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia; and Xanax, used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
In lieu of the medications she was prescribed, a doctor’s assessment prompted approved medications to be administered to Cowling.
http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/article_b742dff5-f175-5ceb-b769-e493ddfd9c1e.html

Timothy Smith, who according to his family is bipolar and diabetic, was reportedly unable to get his medication while serving a three-day sentence for a traffic violation at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility.
“They had information that he had some sort of physical and we believe also some sort of mental condition,” said attorney Jamon Hicks. “At a minimum, they knew he was on medication.”
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...ed-bipolar-diabetic-inmate-after-meds-denied/

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - A Fruitport man served about six weeks in the Ottawa County jail in 2007. For seven days, he claims he was denied medication for his bipolar disorder and diabetes.
Randy Modd and his attorneys filed a lawsuit last week in Grand Rapids federal court, stating because he was denied "critical medication," he needed to be hospitalized for his bipolar condition.

"It was a terrible being put in isolation -- maximum security," Modd said. "It was horrifying, just terrifying and nobody cared. I could have died in there and nobody would have cared less."
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ottawa_county/Former-inmate-sues-Ottawa-County-jail
UPDATED: CLEVELAND -- R&B singer Sean Levert entered the Cuyahoga County Jail on March 24 clutching the prescribed medication he took regularly for anxiety.
Jail staff took the bottle of Xanax away from him and failed to give him a single pill during the six days he was there, investigators said. Even when he began suffering horrifying delusions, he wasn't given his medication and never saw a doctor.
Instead, on March 30, jailers strapped Levert into a restraint chair, still fighting the monstrous visions in his head caused by withdrawal from the medication. Minutes later, the 39-year-old son of O'Jays star Eddie Levert stopped breathing. His heart then stopped and doctors couldn't save him.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/11/post_15.html
OCALA - Thoughts of suicide began to form in James Johnson's mind. He felt nauseous. He couldn't sleep. He was confused.

"Please give me my Paxil," he begged the jail's corrections officers.
Johnson, 50, had been booked into the Marion County Jail in March on a charge of driving with a suspended driver's license.

What he didn't understand then - or now - is why the jail's medical staff refused to give him the legally prescribed medications he had taken for years for his clinical depression, including the anti-depressant Paxil, an anti-psychotic called Seroquel and the sedative Trazodone.
"The psych nurse came to me and said, 'You're not going to get this medication,'" Johnson said in a recent interview. "I said I'd get violently ill."
And so he did.
He began throwing up.
He grew increasingly agitated.
Nurses wrote in his medical records, day after day, that he was asking for his medication; that Johnson was "doubled over in anguish evidenced by facial expressions"; that he was making suicidal statements.
He was taken in and out of a suicide prevention cell.
At one point, he sat on the floor and began to pray with his cellmates.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
As Johnson's pleas for help went unanswered, he became more desperate.

By the seventh day, he was wailing and flinging himself headlong into the concrete walls hoping to either lose consciousness or alert the guards to the depth of his agony.

"He started going crazy in front of my eyes," said Kyle Morrill, one of his cellmates. "I woke up in the middle of the night and he was running from one side of the cell and banging his head on the other side."

Johnson's frightened cellmates begged officers to do something - anything - to relieve his suffering.

But nothing changed.

So when officers opened Johnson's cell on the 10th day after his arrest, he bolted up a nearby stairway and leapt off the balcony, crashing onto the hard floor 14 feet below and shattering his right leg.

That jump earned him a trip to the hospital, where a psychiatrist put him back on an anti-depressant and painkillers and sent him back to jail.

A SICK HEALTH SYSTEM?

Johnson's harrowing story isn't unique to the Marion County Jail, or for that matter, to many jails across the country.
http://www.ocala.com/article/20071216/NEWS/212160331?p=2&tc=pg

6. Whether you came in with a diagnosis and/or prescription or not, after several days, maybe weeks, you may be able to see a jailhouse doctor. At that time, you may be evaluated and diagnosed and prescribed medications. They often are not the same as those prescribed on the outside.

7. If you begin to display obvious medical problems like convulsions, unconsciousness, you will likely be taken to a medical wing or to a hospital. But not until then - unless you are a famous and rich celebrity like Paris Hilton.

The guy who killed all those people in AZ and who shot Gabrielle Giffords, was smearing feces all over the place, sobbing uncontrollably, went without sleep for 50 hours and had to be forcibly removed from the courtroom for his outbursts: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ng-Jared-Loughners-fate-is-still-unclear.html

Despite this, he was not medicated for almost seven months after his arrest, until June 21, 2011: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/us/24loughner.html

Here's the thing. Jails usually don't have the resources to provide the medical care inmates may need. They don't have the staff. They are underfunded. Also, inmates in jails scream yell and make demands incessantly. They often fake illnesses or otherwise act bizarrely. Jailers are used to this and thus often do not pay attention to inmates with issues. Further, many medications an inmate may be already prescribed, are not on "approved" lists. Finally, jails are reluctant to prescribe anything to anyone, especially on an emergency basis. They don't know if the inmate is allergic, or already on something that could cause complications. The potential for lawsuits is incredible.

If the coward had already been given medications while in jail, he would not be on suicide watch. He would be in the hospital wing or in a regular hospital, heavily guarded. That's because only a severe and obvious medical emergency would cause the jail staff to have him be given medications to control "behavior". Otherwise, the staff is used to screaming, poo throwing, writhing on the floor, banging heads on the wall, spitting, mania, etc. None of that is considered a medical emergency to jail staffers. Sorry, they don't have the time or resources to deem such behavior a medical issue.

This murderer was not on any medication at his court appearance, IMO and in my experience. No way, no how.

I never read em before have you found them accurate (like in long term) historically - lots bashing of them here . What has your exp been , in terms of them not being exploitation junk?
Well, they're the most reputable of the British tabloids, though that doesn't say much, I realize: "better than the Sun" is a backhanded compliment. But, generally, their reporting on crime holds up over time. One always must consider the source, of course.

Traditionally, Guardian readership has not clamored to read true crime accounts.

That surprises me! I never knew that!

We read a lot about true crime in this household and also read The Guardian.
The article I have read on law and order in that paper are usually thought provoking. I wish they would cover more true crime accounts.

He is a mess...

Thank you!
And , boy am I in trouble now, ha, so sad, when I saw him yesterday oh poor thing (NOT forgiving everyone) this is a human being that is so so so sick it is sad

this human being has had a metamorphosis
in his existance the last couple of years , human behavior does not change that much that quick IMO with out medical (MI) S O M E T H I NG

Just a question , if someone weighed 385 pounds for 23 years and the last 6 months his weight dropped to 92, without dieting, would anyone not conclude gosh there must be something going on
Just curious!

That surprises me! I never knew that!

We read a lot about true crime in this household and also read The Guardian.
The article I have read on law and order in that paper are usually thought provoking. I wish they would cover more true crime accounts.
Surely you know that they achieved the nickname "Grauniad" from Private Eye as a result of their typo-prone ways in days of yore.

I read it because it's the best source of leftish opinion that I've found, both on national and international issues. It's the anti-Telegraph, essentially, in terms of the broadsheets. Great coverage of cultural matters as well.

MOre I read here I think it has to be state laws, we had a family member telling us that inmate has been on XX (Psyc med) it was gotten IMMED -- liability -- withdrawal from this stuff when cold turkeyed trecherous!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-totally-faking-sleepy-act-article-1.1120735

The accused Colorado mass murderer’s catatonic courtroom appearance was all an act — and not the result of prescription medications, a jail employee told the Daily News.

James Holmes, 24, was not under the influence of any medication during his strange 12-minute cameo at the Monday hearing, the source insisted Tuesday.

“We don’t just hand out meds,” the Arapahoe County Detention Center worker told the Daily News. “It just doesn’t work like that.

“If he was acting sleepy, he was faking it,” the source added.

Faking it is one of Holme's grand schemes.

Have you seen like they say the x and weeks later NBC HLN HNN etc say wrong or validate it cause a lot of the stuff they got right like the mainstream folks got the scoop (more scared to go with the scoop??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeEss91