Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy's comment reply's are now posted..

Looks like you may have found a kindred spirit on your plight to expose inadequasies in these kinds of investigations. I hope he joins us o this forum. I know he is a convict, but he has done his time and offers a unique perspective.

I, too, have been "wrestling with the devil" concerning BSL. This man blogged that (paraphrased) a life sentence in angolla is not justice denied, it is justice doled out over decades and decades. This helps me.

(Just a note b4 people get upset... foxfire commends le involved in Bsl's arrest, I think his beef is with other cases...cmiiw)

Clay LeJeune, one of Lavergne’s defense attorneys, told HLN Friday that his client had been prepared to offer the location of the body “without conditions.” The defense team began discussing the possibility of a plea deal with prosecutors before Lavergne’s arraignment and they spent the ten days after the discovery of the body negotiating acceptable language.

LeJeune said Lavergne had seen the Shunick family’s pain and suffering and wanted to plead guilty and reveal the truth “out of a sense of remorse.”

“He needed to give them something to close this out,” LeJeune said.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/08/20/man-pleads-guilty-mickey-shunick-lisa-pate-murders

Gives us another look at the LP case

Well, I know that a lot of folks think Brandon had no remorse, and used revealing Mickey's location just to save himself.

Reading what his defense attorney says, it sounds like that he convinced at least his attorney that remorse was a factor in the revelation. Now of course, he could have fooled his own attorney; we don't know the tone of the discussions.

It makes me think of what he thought when he saw the massive community reaction. I'm sure it surprised him, because it sure was a full-court press form family and friends. I'll venture that this full-court press did indeed affect him.

If you think about it, he would have felt differently had Mickey's disappearance just faded from the news, and so he didn't have to constantly see it. Imagine how many flyers he saw. They were unavoidable. Imagine how he felt each time he saw one. It kept it fresh in his mind, and didn't even allow him to compartmentalize it and forget about it himself. It put the family's pain in his face all the time.

From what I've seen of Brandon, he seems to snap. Both in the case of the assault on his wife's cousin, and Lisa Pate, it's a sudden rage. Some people are like this. I'm not trying to make excuses at all; what I'm saying is that it's possible that Brandon has his rages, and then returns to a calmer state of mind, and can't undo what he did. If this is true, then he had enough time to return to that state of mind, before his arrest and then after, that indeed he may have regretted to some degree the pain he had caused. Killers are complicated, and I do believe that some are just emotionless machines, like Derrick Todd Lee, and like Charles Manson, while others have a classic homicidal rage.

We don't know enough to tell, but it is interesting to me that his attorney maintains that remorse plays a factor. I hope that he wrote a sincere letter to the Shunicks. I also understand that they probably are not emotionally prepared to read it, because it could go either way.

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns football players will carry Mickey Shunick with them for the 2012 season.

Team members will wear a decal portraying a girl on her bicycle on their helmets throughout the season, UL Sports Information Director Brian McCann said Tuesday night.

The name "Mickey" will be spelled beneath the bike.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...Shunick?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Some initial discussion of a bike path or other memorial occurred at the Lafayette council meeting last night!

earlier this morning, on katc's morning show, they mentioned that lcg president joey durel will be making his "state of the parish" address today...in the last segment, they also mentioned that he will be making some type of announcement about the horse farm...i have no idea what that announcement will be, but i thought it would be really great if it was something in regard to mickey...possibly a memorial of some type.

What happened to her horses?
Are they still there?

There is a boy missing in Alexandria, dont recall the name at this time. But dont know of a female missing.

QUEENIE ~ Please see post 954 as Bessie gives a link to the young woman in Alex. / Pineville area that I had mentioned last night and you were interested. Her name is Dorothy Rosier who is in her 20's, not a teen as I had wrongly stated. Hope Bessie's link helps.
Thanks Bessie !

Looks like you may have found a kindred spirit on your plight to expose inadequasies in these kinds of investigations. I hope he joins us o this forum. I know he is a convict, but he has done his time and offers a unique perspective.

I, too, have been "wrestling with the devil" concerning BSL. This man blogged that (paraphrased) a life sentence in angolla is not justice denied, it is justice doled out over decades and decades. This helps me.

(Just a note b4 people get upset... foxfire commends le involved in Bsl's arrest, I think his beef is with other cases...cmiiw)

Yep, WhatsupAZ, at least we will know where BS Lavergne resides, while a thorough and competent investigation is being conducted into other unknown victims..

RE: foxfire commends le involved in Bsl's arrest, I think his beef is with other cases..

WhatsupAZ, as you and others are aware, my comments aren't directed at competent & well trained Law Enforcement Officers; Men & Women in Blue. They have a very difficult and dangerous profession, and never know if they will make it home to their families at the end of a shift..

It is directed at the antiquated policies & strategies being used in missing/murdered persons investigations across the US. These policies & strategies only lead to innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases; 'the Silent Epidemic'..

Imo, LPD's handling of the Mickey Shunick investigation was textbook and they should be saluted for their professionalism, excellent media management, and for setting an example for for other LEAs in future missing/murdered persons investigation strategies & policies..

It looks like the same man to me. If he has been in jail in la and ga did not know....well that is some serious linkage blindness.

Thanx for sharing, HouDat..

"an aware American Public is a very valuable resource for Law Enforcement"..

Somehow, I have to believe that guardian angel Mighty Mick was indirectly responsible for this absconded RSO's capture..

Surely this isn't him:

http://www.offendex.com/citydirectory/GA/Ellijay/Sherman_Cornette_721247

Sherman Cornette
Absconded
Ellijay GA 30536
View photos: 1

DOB: 1953-01-01
Height: 5 ft. 0 in.
Weight: 230
Race/Ethnicity: White
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Green
Identifying Marks: SC FHD

Offense: CHILD MOLESTATION
Incarcerated: N Wanted: Y

For some reason when I read "escaped inmate" I think of a prison break.
I guess "inmates" are not what they used to be!

Mama Roux refreshed our memory on what BSL's attorney LeJeune said:

"He wanted to give them something to close this out."

Don't these people realize that Mite Mickey's brutal murder will "never be closed out."
Her murder / loss will follow the Schunick family every day for the rest of their lives. A very poor choice of words, to say the least.
Sounds like they are doing the Shunick's a favor. It just does not seem as tho they have emotionally experienced the gravity of this sad and senseless act.
Is this, "just another murder?" How many more are out there ??

It looks like the same man to me. If he has been in jail in la and ga did not know....well that is some serious linkage blindness.

Think that the politically correct term is now 'Jurisdictional Linkage Visual Impairment, but however you say it, it is a tragically growing problem across the US..

Elijay, GA, where Sherman Cornette, absconded from is only a rocks throw from mine and my six grandchildren's homes in the north GA mountains..

The Lafayette, LA community is the last place on earth that absconded RSO Sherman Cornette should have chosen to hide out...

Think that the politically correct term is now 'Jurisdictional Linkage Visual Impairment, but however you say it, it is a tragically growing problem across the US..

Elijay, GA, where Sherman Cornette, absconded from is only a rocks throw from mine and my six grandchildren's homes in the north GA mountains..

The Lafayette, LA community is the last place on earth that absconded RSO Sherman Cornette should have chosen to hide out...

Elijay, GA is a stones throw from my loved ones too.

Maybe we can refer to it as jlvi on ws. I have a feeling it could come up in posts a lot.

KLFY 10 Acadiana's Multimedia Station
Thanks to a viewers tip, suspect Sherman CORNETTE was arrested at University Medical Center in Lafayette. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

:jail:

(o_O) Mon Dieu.... I was just freakin' there this morning.

What happened to her horses?
Are they still there?

I think I read that poster brenda lee (hope I'm remembering the right person) is saying they're being cared for. I'm having trouble finding the post, so maybe I'm misremembering it. :waitasec:

For some reason when I read "escaped inmate" I think of a prison break.
I guess "inmates" are not what they used to be!

It is all in the wording, K.jill..

'Should have read absconded inmate without being required to wear an ankle bracelet GPS device'..

Mama Roux refreshed our memory on what BSL's attorney LeJeune said:

"He wanted to give them something to close this out."

Don't these people realize that Mite Mickey's brutal murder will "never be closed out."
Her murder / loss will follow the Schunick family every day for the rest of their lives. A very poor choice of words, to say the least.
Sounds like they are doing the Shunick's a favor. It just does not seem as tho they have emotionally experienced the gravity of this sad and senseless act.
Is this, "just another murder?" How many more are out there ??

Stay tuned folks! IMO he's got some more to "close out!"
The families, imo will never get over these senseless murders. So sad!

Regarding why she wouldn't have turned off St. Landry once BSL was following her: I assume BSL dropped back with the truck and went slowly - slow enough so that his motor was quiet and that his headlights didn't shine brightly on Mickey to alert her. Her bike had no rear-view mirror. He waited until she got clear of the houses before he made his run at the bike.

And it is possible that she was listening to music on her iPod. The guilty plea specifically said he destroyed her iPod.
That's the way I read it: She wasn't aware he was there.

...and maybe he turned his headlights OFF....???

It is all in the wording, K.jill..

'Should have read absconded inmate without being required to wear an ankle bracelet GPS device'..

Are they still considered "inmates" when they go to a halfway house?
This might be important re when BSL was an "inmate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members