Allison Baden-Clay - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone from here gone to the court today? I'm trying to monitor Twitter feeds while doing other things, but nothing from the court mention yet.

Tweet from Kate Kyriacou: "The brief of evidence against Baden-Clay is now finalised. All statements handed in"

No other details as to what may have been mentioned in court.

Twitter: "Baden-clay case in court. Full brief of evidence, incl. 466 statement, now in the hands of the defence team. Case back in Nov"

Tweet from Joel Dry: "Baden-Clay case in court. Full brief of evidence incl 466 statements now in the hands of the defence team. Case back in Nov"

EDIT: Sorry Observer - didn't see you posted the same thing while I was posting mine ;)

Better posted twice, than not at all Doc ;)

So are they back in court in November for the forensic accounting? Or?

No date set in November yet, that I can find. I gather that the defence now have all the forensic accounting stuff, the forensic pathologist's report, as well as any other outstanding information. This, presumably, would also include more info from phones....

Does this mean because it is scheduled again for the 5th November that GBC is not intending to plead 'not guilty' or does this not make any difference...

No I don't think that has anything to do with his plea. I doubt there will be a guility plea prior to the committal. The defence will likely apply to cross examine some key witnesses at the committal hearing to test the strength of their evidence. If the magistrate decides there is enough evidence to commit GBC to trial in the Supreme Court then he could plead gulity at that stage and go straight to sentencing. If he pleads not guilty then he awaits a trial. He can change a not guilty plea to a guilty plea at any time.

Guy Fawkes Day ...
:fireworks:

It is good that the process is moving forward but I still don't think the committal hearing will be until next year.
The 5th Nov date is just another mention to see how the defence is going with getting through the evidence they have received from the prosecution. Hopefully the defence will say at that mention that they should be ready to make an application to cross examine witnesses on the scheduled date of the 20th Nov.Then on the 20th the magistrate hears the application and makes a decision on which of the defence requested witnesses it will allow to be cross-examined and any limits to cross-examination. Then hopefully a date for the committal hearing will be set, though I suspect there will be at least one or two more mention dates after the 20th before a date for the committal hearing will be set. That will take us into next year I think.

It is good that the process is moving forward but I still don't think the committal hearing will be until next year.
The 5th Nov date is just another mention to see how the defence is going with getting through the evidence they have received from the prosecution. Hopefully the defence will say at that mention that they should be ready to make an application to cross examine witnesses on the scheduled date of the 20th Nov.Then on the 20th the magistrate hears the application and makes a decision on which of the defence requested witnesses it will allow to be cross-examined and any limits to cross-examination. Then hopefully a date for the committal hearing will be set, though I suspect there will be at least one or two more mention dates after the 20th before a date for the committal hearing will be set. That will take us into next year I think.

Great stuff Ali - summarizing the current situation to keep everybody on track is very useful indeed. Thanks for that :)

I am trying to understand our legal system. Am I right in assuming today was just so the magistrate could tick off a box saying that all the evidence has been handed over to the defence? If this is correct, isn't this such a waste of time and resources? Sorry, I'm so confused about the need for a 'mention' then a committal. Surely all this does not need to be in a court, just to tick a box.

I cannot understand this Alioop. Why tie up court and resources just 'to see how the defence is going with getting through the evidence they have received from the prosecution'. Have they not heard of texting, email, or the telephone?

I am trying to understand our legal system. Am I right in assuming today was just so the magistrate could tick off a box saying that all the evidence has been handed over to the defence? If this is correct, isn't this such a waste of time and resources? Sorry, I'm so confused about the need for a 'mention' then a committal. Surely all this does not need to be in a court, just to tick a box.

Pretty sure, you're correct in your assumptions Breaking.

Well I knew today wouldn't give away much but I was at least expecting something.
This is interesting though- a hydrology report and the principal investigators' statements seem to stand out so may be very important to the case.
Can anyone tell me what the hydrology report would entail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz