GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a lot more to come of this and i expect more arrests in the next couple of days

I do too.

I expect there is a PR 'damage control' exercise going on within the Victorian Police Force. If he was on parole AND he's a registered sex offender, there will be many questions.

Personally I wouldn't blame the Police. Honestly, what can they do .... sleep beside cretins like this every night to keep a close eye on them?

I also don't believe he acted alone. I think he was definitely the ring-leader and wouldn't mind betting he's the dominate type who has a loyal following of mates who are simple and weak (and would do anything for him out of fear).

are you referring to the article i posted that clearly stats the name Adrian Ernest Bayley

Yes I am - please don't post it again. The same name does not equal the same person. We need to be 100% sure because it directly contradicts the information received from LE.

Thanks,

Salem

I think the problem re social media would not be us! Just put the creeps name in facebook search. I must say I am appalled with the groups being created.

That's so true. WS has such effective moderation and guidelines for posting - it's been a real education to learn from others here, with rational, thought-out, researched opinions.

What WILL be the problem is the idiots who think phoning the only AB in Coburg (according to the phonebook) and making hate-based Facebook pages is a good thing to do. They are the ones jeopardising a fair trial. And while I would kind of like our suspect to meet a similar end to (say) Carl Williams, I also want to know that we/society are playing fair, even if he didn't. No-one wins if we stoop to his level. We need to behave better.

MOO, etc. :moo:

I do believe he acted alone. This is often a lone assailant-type crime.

I will be hoping he pleads guilty and trial is by judge alone.

I understand how people can be prejudiced by what they hear, see in social media etc...

But if the evidence is undeniable then it won't matter.

I think the problems is all the hatred and linch mobbing behaviour....sometimes directed at the wrong person.

Sadly, attorneys can argue that prejudice precludes a fair trial, in spite of the veracity and incontrovertibility of the evidence. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will be hoping he pleads guilty and trial is by judge alone.

I understand how people can be prejudiced by what they hear, see in social media etc...

But if the evidence is undeniable then it won't matter.

I think the problems is all the hatred and linch mobbing behaviour....sometimes directed at the wrong person.

Agree especially your last sentence. The morons harrassing some poor person with the same surname and initial in Coburg.
Last night in media reports at first they said he had no previous history, then they changed it to 'no serious criminal history'.
Then again, it's reasonable to consider public perception of lack of justice, leniency of courts, inadequate sentences, inappropriate parole etc, and public reaction if anything in any articles is really one and the same person.

I do too.

I expect there is a PR 'damage control' exercise going on within the Victorian Police Force. If he was on parole AND he's a registered sex offender, there will be many questions.

Personally I wouldn't blame the Police. Honestly, what can they do .... sleep beside cretins like this every night to keep a close eye on them?

I also don't believe he acted alone. I think he was definitely the ring-leader and wouldn't mind betting he's the dominate type who has a loyal following of mates who are simple and weak (and would do anything for him out of fear).

With you 100% expect some a..e-kicking in the ranks.

the information received from LE.

It just doesn't happen here though. Also, Australian based crimes should use acronyms that are suitable for our country. We don't refer to Police as 'LE'.

The Australian environment isn't as sensationalist like the US. Police aren't throwing it all out there for the nation to read.

Maybe not - but the way our justice system works is that if he can't get a fair trial then he walks free.

That would be a disaster and the LE have been very clear how much they think would jeopardise the trial.
I agree.

He does deserve a fair trial. Under the Australian constitution, according to every citizen's democratic rights and freedoms, he is innocent until proven guilty.

We might not like it, but think about it. If that wasn't there, where would we be? There would be honour killings when girls wore short skirts. There would be vigilante justice against truly innocent people. There would be corruption in the courts and people would pay for guilty people to be free, while others would pay for innocent people to be behind bars.

I certainly don't want to live in a country where that's okay.

That's so true. WS has such effective moderation and guidelines for posting - it's been a real education to learn from others here, with rational, thought-out, researched opinions.

What WILL be the problem is the idiots who think phoning the only AB in Coburg (according to the phonebook) and making hate-based Facebook pages is a good thing to do. They are the ones jeopardising a fair trial. And while I would kind of like our suspect to meet a similar end to (say) Carl Williams, I also want to know that we/society are playing fair, even if he didn't. No-one wins if we stoop to his level. We need to behave better.

MOO, etc. :moo:
Well said!!

We don't know that. There was a recent case, here in the US, where this very issue came up. We need a RELIABLE source to tell us this is one and the same person. Right now, we don't have that and until we do, it cannot be posted or discussed here.

Hope that helps - I know it can be frustrating at times, but, it is also what makes us good sleuths :)

Salem

I should also add that the article from the Geelong Addy website listing what he was currently on parole for was swiftly taken down once he was named.

It's not how things work over here.

You are on the money fruity ... and I will add that he gets a fair trial because WE deserve that culture in lieu of the one we can't have - where this is something that just doesn't happen and isn't feared.

Thanks also to the person who posted that a true life senetence is possible, I tried to research that the other day on my very rubbish phone and had to give up. It happens a lot that we are aghast as the seeming leniency of some sentences, but some convicted people are locked up forever like Martin Bryant and we can take comfort that this is a possibility in this instance.

I wonder if the reason some people are out walking the streets free to offend again is due to juries not being allowed to know about past offenses.

I should also add that the article from the Geelong Addy website listing what he was currently on parole for was swiftly taken down once he was named.

It's not how things work over here.

We need to know that it is the same person. I hear your frustration and it is not my intent to add to that. Perhaps a main stream media source will link it up today? If he has such a history, wouldn't your media print that? Why are they not sharing that information?

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member