Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Sandy Hook Elementary School

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
*When 20 beautiful children stormed through Heaven's gate.
*Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
They were filled with such joy; they didn't know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"Where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"This is heaven" declared a small boy. "We're spending Christmas at God's house".
*When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
*But Jesus, their Savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
*Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
And in that moment was joy, that only Heaven can bring
Those children all flew into the arms of their King.
And as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
One small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
And as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."
Then He looked down on Earth, at the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe.
Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!
May this country be delivered from the hands of fools
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools! "
Then He and the children stood up without a sound.
*"Come now my children let me show you around. "
Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
*All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
*And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Author unknown

I saw this on FB. Do Jewish people believe that Jesus is a saviour? And do they believe in this christian version of heaven? Because at least one of those poor kids was Jewish.

Something I learned today: If you have kids and they want to talk about this, don't put it off, or wait until you can come up with the perfect thing to say. Kids have a way of being able to deal with stuff like this that I think us adults just don't. My sons saw me cry for the first time about it today. With my kids being home all day today (our county cancelled school for everyone for the two days prior to the break) my oldest wanted to do something for the kids. He didn't have any money, so he couldn't send a donation, and I finally told him that if he felt like he needed to do something for the kids that had gone to Jesus (our personal belief) we could make them something. So we cut out 27 snowflakes, wrote 27 names on them and hung them in the front window. Each one of them unique, each one of them beautiful. My son asked questions, without fear, about evil, anger, death, life, and heaven. I feel it was the best way we could have spent the day and it was quite beneficial to both of us, IMO.

“The confirmation of the (Asperger’s) diagnosis from reliable sources has not occurred, and even if it does at some point, the complexity of Adam Lanza’s state of mind cannot be explained by Asperger’s,” Cohen said. “This type of violence does not occur in AS, and individuals with AS are much more likely to be the victims of bullying and violence by others. There are many complex layers to unravel before anyone can elucidate the reasons for his actions.”

According to Cohen, this case seems to be more likely one in which the individual had a severe personality disorder or was psychotic.

“Family dynamics, the onset of psychosis, and severe pathology that is yet unknown may (have) set these violent impulses in motion,” Cohen said.

http://www.registercitizen.com/arti...50d3bc052b32b809176555.txt?viewmode=fullstory

This is a recent story from an ex FBI crime profile ron serial murders. Very good reading, here is an excerpt:

According to Tafoya, typically in a mass killing, “there is an event that triggers rage.”

“They decide on a mission, and come hell or high water, they’ll finish it,” Tafoya said. “My instinct is that he was planning a strategy long before, and this was not a spur of the moment decision to do this.”

As for Lanza’s decision to target a school, Tafoya said, “Clearly there is some resentment he had in his mind, which could even have been from years before.”

Any bad school-related memory could have drawn him to target a school, Tafoya said.

USA Today has reported that Lanza once attended Sandy Hook.

“Shooting 6- and 7-year-olds is mind-boggling,” Tafoya said. “He was shooting little kids who posed no threat. He may have felt that a school in general was the place where he could get the most victims.”

Lanza, 20, may have harbored resentment for a long time and wanted revenge for a perceived wrong. His actions demonstrate an individual incapable of shame, guilt or remorse, Tafoya added. Continued...

Profilers typically work on cases where the perpetrator is unknown. Tafoya, who is not involved in the Lanza investigation, said in cases like this one, when investigators know who is responsible, profilers would likely be brought in to assist investigators in trying to uncover motivation.

Lanza shot Nancy Lanza multiple times at their home at 36 Yogananda St., according to police.

“Multiple shots (at his mother) implies a rage — and a long-standing perceived ill or wrong,” Tafoya said. “He probably had a very tenuous relationship with any authority figure. If an authority figure (like his mother) constantly tells him ‘no,’ a tipping point came and he decided to kill her.”

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned- I am really behind in the threads here ( and other ones that I follow - is there anything going on I should know about?) I was wondering about the trigger also. Several of NL's friends mentioned in interviews -that she was looking at a 4 year college for him in washington, and that she had even mentioned that she and he were possibly moving there. It is college application time of year.

<<Mark Tambascio, a restaurant proprietor who had known Nancy Lanza for several years, said she had recently discovered a school that seemed to suit him.

&#8220;They were going to move out there together,&#8221; >>

just thinking.

Could the killer have passed a medical physical by a physician to get admitted to a college this year? Completion of one is required. If he was acting paranoid, delusional, illogical, or hallucinating during a physical exam, this would be recorded on his H&P and this might have kept him from ever being admitted to any college in WA state or elsewhere.

Since when does completion of the physical is required for admission into college?
Never heard of such a thing.

Since when does completion of the physical is required for admission into college?
Never heard of such a thing.
I have two sons in college and one in medical school right now. The universities required their H&P form completed along with their immunization records.

I wonder if he was so personality disordered and so obsessively addicted to the gaming that the thought of going off to school or where ever is what set him off. If he thought he wouldn't be able to immerse himself in computerized fantasy. Other behaviors described seem very obsessive and his mom doesn't sound like the type to get him on an SSI check and just let him play computer games for years.

Yes I agree 1000%

AL had unlimited freedom to do what he please and lived in his own fiefdon of getting whatever he needed. He was pretty pampered, lived in a comfort zone

He did'nt have to work, go to school. All he did was goof around on mindless ultra violent video games, tool around with his cameras and go gun shooting

Now if his mom had the wheels in motion to make something happen to get her son off his butt, get a job, go to school, go to a school for special needs then AL's world of complete freedom without anyone infringing or disturbing his daily freedoms, then I believe this was enough of a disruption in his life to make him go into madness with resentment, rage and psychosis. AL was too mentally unstable, too mentally disturbed

I have two sons in college and one in medical school right now. The universities required their H&P form completed along with their immunization records.

They might be requiring it for health programs if these students were going to see any patients. AL would be going into engineering.

I agree that people take and fail college courses and drop them all of the time. Some people don't care to drop classes or get a "C." Then there are people like me, who feel if they don't get an "A" it is the end of the world. A "C" to a person like me is totally unacceptable.

I think that he was a very smart person. Smarter than anyone who knew him gave him credit for!!

I audibly gasped when someone said people get C's all the time. I guess I know that's true, but I drop a class if I'm not 100% sure I can get an A. I come back to it more prepared, but I drop it for the time being.

IMO it's not surprising at ALLLLLL that he got a bad grade in German. Foreign language courses are too social for my liking, and I have zero social "issues" aside from just being an awkward introvert. Lots of talking and practicing with other students. He did well in his areas of interest, and that's the best way to judge competency IMO. There are a lot of reasons to get a C, including just not caring about the subject at all.

They might be requiring it for health programs if these students were going to see any patients. AL would be going into engineering.

My youngest son is majoring in Computer Science. This was just required by his university in addition to sending in his immunization record. He is a Sophmore at Univ. of Pittsburgh.

If you have kids and they want to talk about this, don't put it off,.
I agree, much has been said in the media about talking to kids etc but I find kids are much more resilient than adults.

I do not know if anyone happened to see a video, it was funny and precious at the same time. A reporter was asking a dad about what was going on and about how to talk to children, he was holding his daughter and she asked Can we go already! This was in Sandy Hook

Children in that community will have different needs than say Tx or Mn.
Having a four year old and an eight year old myself, my four year old does not understand and doesn't need to understand. My eight year old clearly does and for example, news is on in the morning before school and they are mentioning the children who died and and ages and elementary school. I do not change the channel, he has asked very little and kids really do move on and process things differently. Just look at this forum, page after page and thread after thread but mainly adults, it has affected us much more

So it sounds to me that in the last three years he became very anti-social and wanted to spend his time playing his video games in his mother's basement. Whereas mother wanted to sell the house, move, and put him into college for special needs students.
Which led to conflict between them. Still doesn't explain why he would go shoot up the school though.
Was he communicating with people on-line? Too bad his computer is smashed to bits.

My mother enabled my Asperger's brother most of his life, but she didn't ever think about the future. So fast forward and at the age of 43, I have him. If they are never challenged, they get VERY comfortable doing only what they are interested in and not interacting with other people.

My brother, when I first had responsibility for him (he has no means of support), thought it was perfectly fine to live in this house and never speak to me unless he needed something. Wrong.

Thought it was perfectly fine to have me support him for the rest of my or his life. Wrong.

So when they are "protected" like this, they get very rigid ideas. I can't even tell you what I have been through in the past 6 months changing this. He has been extremely resistant and lots of anger, etc. has been displayed on his part. I do know with my mother he would break things in the house, I do know he hit her once.

The thing with me is he is deathly afraid of me. And that's just fine with me because fear is the only thing that gets him moving. Right now he is receiving counseling and he is working with vocational rehabilitation, who will find him a job in a more sheltered environment. He does have a history of work, but on a midnight shift in a store, no people interaction. Part time.

The only thing he's had a choice about was 1. do this or be put out of the house. 2. He could choose to go on disability or vocational rehab. He chose vocational rehab. If the job doesn't work out, he will go on disability.

I'm sure there is somebody out there ready to jump about the way I'm handling this, but I need to get him moving. I am 50 years old, our parents died at 70 and 71 after long illnesses. He doesn't have a ton of time to get functional. You do what you have to do. He'd prefer to stay home all day and read about World War II but I'm not having it.

I audibly gasped when someone said people get C's all the time. I guess I know that's true, but I drop a class if I'm not 100% sure I can get an A. I come back to it more prepared, but I drop it for the time being.
snip

People don't get C's all the time. These days it's a fairly atypical grade; C no longer really means "average." Grade inflation struck long ago. Teachers in a large department risk their livelihoods in effect if their GPAs are low; if you're an untenured teacher and students see you as difficult grade-wise they'll find someone easier; word gets around. Your section doesn't make - not enough people, class cancelled.

Everyone wants that A. To get a B now means about what a C did thirty years ago, at least to the student: okay, but not quite good enough.

BTW - the "engineering" program @ Bellevue College in WA state (formerly known as Bellevue Community College) is a two year transfer degree program.

The Engineering Transfer Department at Bellevue College is designed for students who are pursuing a four year bachelors degree in engineering. The curriculum offered at Bellevue College will allow a student to fulfill pre-major requirements for entry into a university engineering department.

http://scidiv.bellevuecollege.edu/engr/

Even IF NL had looked into this particular college for her son, he wouldn't have been able to obtain an engineering degree there. He would have had to transfer to a four year university to complete his program.

Personally, I don't think she was looking at colleges. If she was, she was in deep denial about her son's ability to function in the world, IMO. If the much debated report about her seeking conservatorship was true (I think we'll find out it was) then at least she was finally seeking help for her deeply troubled son. I hope the latter is true and not the former.

No, physicals are required for all students entering colleges. Some states require more immunizations than others, but all schools require a physical before you can attend classes and/or live on campus. It's a normal, run of the mill physical with TB testing ect., nothing crazy, but it is still required.

My youngest son is majoring in Computer Science. This was just required by his university in addition to sending in his immunization record. He is a Sophmore at Univ. of Pittsburgh.

I filled out college forms for years!
They had to be up to date on tetanus, MMR, varicella,
and have a pneumovax and meningitis vaccine it has to
be done prior to submitting the application.
He didn't like being touched... couldn't feel "pain"...
IMO he would freak out if told to sit still for shots!

(kinda like the kids that come in all tatted and pierced)
~then they and tell they are scared of needles? HUH???

She left him in a house for days at a time. I find it hard to believe she thought he would need to be committed.

The same was true way back when I went off to college. Maybe because I was living in a dorm. don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde