Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, physicals are required for all students entering colleges. Some states require more immunizations than others, but all schools require a physical before you can attend classes and/or live on campus. It's a normal, run of the mill physical with TB testing ect., nothing crazy, but it is still required.
I think the universities are also checking for red flags (history of severe mental health problems) and that is a very smart idea.

I think the universities are also checking for red flags (history of severe mental health problems) and that is a very smart idea.

It would be illegal to not admit someone due to mental disease.

She left him in a house for days at a time. I find it hard to believe she thought he would need to be committed.

It is possible that she fled from the house and waited for him to calm down before returning.

I have two sons in college and one in medical school right now. The universities required their H&P form completed along with their immunization records.

Entrance into health science programs requires a medical history & physical exam form to be submitted.

What college did AL attend? Was it a community college or a university?

The CO movie shooter, did he leave the theater to reload or why did he step out?

The Colorado theatre mass murderer was outside the theatre waiting for his accomplice to open the exit door.

He got inside when his accomplice took his phone call, got up, propped open the exit door and walked out....Seconds later the shooter threw gas canisters inside the theatre, opened fire wounding and killing so many people

These are good articles, but, they forgot to mention that some parents don't like to face reality when something is "just not right" with their child. Some parents get angry at the professionals that are attempting to help the troubled and/or mentally disabled child. They refuse help and carry on as if everything is "ok"..

RE: The nature of details released will likely set the tone for future conversations on how to prevent a similar mass shooting.

“I think that right now, the biggest piece of the puzzle is in the understanding, in the motive, and I think as they work the case and come to an understanding, we’ll see what caused this,” DeCarlo said.
Lee said investigators are going to look for “any writing, any notes, any so-called ‘unwritten’ notes such as the type of emotional mood change that often could be overlooked.”

“That’s what we call unwritten language,” he said. “Sometimes they do not write a note, but they provide a sign.”

What Lanza did “is not a spur-of-the-moment decision” in which he simply “snapped,” Lee said.

“He had to do some planning,” he said.

The fact that he killed his mother, Nancy Lanza — shooting her as she lay in bed — before heading to the school “is a message,” Lee said. “Basically, you kill your parents, it either comes out of love or out of hatred,” he said.
______
"Love, hatred, or as a means to an end".. AL, needed access to the weapons & ammunition, to carry out his well layed evil plan, imo..

"My question would be, "when and what are we going to learn, not only from the Sandy Hook tragedy, but also from the many mass shootings over the past 50+ years"? Charles Whitman, also murdered his mother, as well as his wife, before the mass murder in 1966; The TX Clock Tower Shooting, Columbine, and the many others have provided more than enough info for studies. When are we going to establish a plan to prevent future shootings? Without public safety for our families, we have nothing...

Charles Whitman 1/5
[video=youtube;__4bYWS91I0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4bYWS91I0[/video]

He wouldn't know he was the victim of discrimination. The university wouldn't announce that the reason he wasn't admitted was that the admission board feared he was a homicidal maniac.

Maybe we as a society need to really define if a mental illness shows a propensity for violence, self-mutilation, or abuse of any kind. This may be an important first step to help make society a tad safer.

Maybe this needs to be started as young as elementary school? Maybe there needs to be a mandate? Parents don't want to face things like this and may be in denial but if teachers and school psychologists note repetitive potential sociopathic/schizo/psychopathic behavior then there may have to be mandated counseling, whether or not the parent likes it.

I don't know but maybe it could help??

From your link to article, there is not a picture that goes with it, where did that pic come from? and it is photo shopped, look at the big square around her drink and hand, a poor job at that.

TIA

Hmm. What was her hand holding before it was photoshopped out of the picture?

I really don't see how someone could know he was a homicidal maniac until he went on a shooting spree. All the people describe him as quiet and withdrawn.

I saw this on FB. Do Jewish people believe that Jesus is a saviour? And do they believe in this christian version of heaven? Because at least one of those poor kids was Jewish.

Agree. Hesitating to make a blanket statement, but generally, Jews don't think Jesus is the messiah, nor do they worship him. When the messiah comes, he'll be a man, not the son of a god. Suggesting that a Jewish child is "with Jesus" is pretty blatantly disregarding what he and his parents believe.

I understand that people are circulating this poem with only good intentions, but if I may be honest (and I truly, truly do not want to offend anyone), I find the whole sentiment kind of creepy and insensitive. I do not feel that this senseless tragedy should be used as a reason why our public schools need more religion. I, for one, am grateful to live in a free country where church and state are separate and we are all allowed to believe what we wish.

I also don't think that more prayer/religion/Jesus in public schools would have prevented this.

Entrance into health science programs requires a medical history & physical exam form to be submitted.

What college did AL attend? Was it a community college or a university?

I thought he attended a few classes at Western CT State University but I could be wrong. I got the feeling he didn't really do well or continue much past a few classes at best.

snip

People don't get C's all the time. These days it's a fairly atypical grade; C no longer really means "average." Grade inflation struck long ago. Teachers in a large department risk their livelihoods in effect if their GPAs are low; if you're an untenured teacher and students see you as difficult grade-wise they'll find someone easier; word gets around. Your section doesn't make - not enough people, class cancelled.

Everyone wants that A. To get a B now means about what a C did thirty years ago, at least to the student: okay, but not quite good enough.

For serious students, I agree. When I was getting my 4 year, there were definitely people who just wanted to float through the programs.

fwiw, I also don't think things are so inflated in competitive graduate programs... or at least that has been my experience. You have to earn your A/B or move over for someone who can. Which is why I don't sleep anymore =P

I really don't see how someone could know he was a homicidal maniac until he went on a shooting spree. All the people describe him as quiet and withdrawn.
Maybe his personal physician wrote a frightening fact on the H&P such as "Patient has history of delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia x 10 years. Patient hears command voices. Patient is noncompliant with prescribed Risperdal and Abilify.

And maybe personal physician did nothing of the sort. AL already took some college classes. Clearly he was able to get in with no problem.

Not trying to be snarky, but then why choose MS as her diagnosis?

She may not have 'chosen' MS as her diagnosis. She may have had that diagnosis, or maybe she craved the sympathy and attention she got from friends that knew/thought she had this diagnosis. I don't know that she would allow others to know much about her son's problems and the difficulties she faced in caring for him, so she wouldn't receive sympathy/attention from friends for these problems. There may have been a stigma issue as concerns her son's problems.

She may not have 'chosen' MS as her diagnosis. She may have had that diagnosis, or maybe she craved the sympathy and attention she got from friends that knew/thought she had this diagnosis. I don't know that she would allow others to know much about her son's problems and the difficulties she faced in caring for him, so she wouldn't receive sympathy/attention from friends for these problems. There may have been a stigma issue as concerns her son's problems.

OR to excuse away soreness, a limp or bumps and bruises... ya never know!

And maybe personal physician did nothing of the sort. AL already took some college classes. Clearly he was able to get in with no problem.

He enrolled at that collage 4 years earlier. His mental health status may have declined since being a student at Western Ct University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare