Spreckels Beach House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inparadise

Verified Insider - Rebecca Zahau Case
Reaction score
Spreckels Beach House is back on the market......featured story in Coronado Lifestyle magazine (Jan/Feb 2013 edition), with lots of pictures.

Spreckels Beach House is back on the market......featured story in Coronado Lifestyle magazine (Jan/Feb 2013 edition), with lots of pictures.

Yep, I didn't think Jonah would move back into the Spreckels given the tragedies. Can you post some pics? We don't have that magazine here. TIA

Yep, I didn't think Jonah would move back into the Spreckels given the tragedies. Can you post some pics? We don't have that magazine here. TIA

For some strange reason, the online edition isn't available yet.....will post the link to the story with pics when it is.

I wonder why in the world that any changes would have had to been made to that property (I wonder what it cost to get it they way it is now). Obviously awful things happened there, but a lot of people aren't above going beyond the morbid for prime California Beach Property. Perhaps that is why, the asking price wasn't high enough without the improvements?

Besides being a historical mansion, this home sits on a prime piece of Southern California Real Estate. I wonder if any one knows historically what people have done with their prime property to make it marketable after something awful has happen there? The Mansion, where it sits on Ocean Avenue is beyond Prime Coronado Real Estate.

If you could pay the price would you live there? Knowing what happened there? I think people would and that some would pay a premium for the press this home has received. I don't know...anyone have any thoughts on this?

I wonder why in the world that any changes would have had to been made to that property (I wonder what it cost to get it they way it is now). Obviously awful things happened there, but a lot of people aren't above going beyond the morbid for prime California Beach Property. Perhaps that is why, the asking price wasn't high enough without the i mprovements?

Besides being a historical mansion, this home sits on a prime piece of Southern California Real Estate. I wonder if any one knows historically what people have done with their prime property to make it marketable after something awful has happen there? The Mansion, where it sits on Ocean Avenue is beyond Prime Coronado Real Estate.

If you could pay the price would you live there? Knowing what happened there? I think people would and that some would pay a premium for the press this home has received. I don't know...anyone have any thoughts on this?

I honestly do not believe that that's why 'improvements' were made.

I wonder why in the world that any changes would have had to been made to that property (I wonder what it cost to get it they way it is now). Obviously awful things happened there, but a lot of people aren't above going beyond the morbid for prime California Beach Property. Perhaps that is why, the asking price wasn't high enough without the improvements?

I think some people who are titillated by and/or desensitized about gory and grotesque things may be ok living at the renovated Spreckels mansion.

Personally I would not live there. Bad feng shui, as they say.

Thanks Inparadise!

I skimmed through the Spreckels Mansion article and saw a major inaccuracy. It says Jonah has not returned to Coronado ever since his son Max's death. We know that is false because he has been in Coronado making arrangements with the contractors and realtors. And he has even been in the Spreckels mansion. So don't know why they are perpetuating an inaccuracy.

At least we now know Jonah can't wait to get rid of the property. I would too if I were in his shoes.

The property looks pretty good -- shiny and sparkly. I like the addition of the swimming pool as it detracts attention from the infamous balcony and the horrific violent lynching murder of Becky. But again, I personally would not buy/live in a property with so much violent history.

I take it that the murder room is also transformed, with new carpet, bed, etc. although they don't mention it. Do you know? Have you walked through it?

I see too that the second storied stairway bannister remains the same. Hmm, if I were a prospective buyer, I'd definitely ask that the bannister be upgraded and heightened, especially if I had small children.

Thanks Inparadise!

I skimmed through the Spreckels Mansion article and saw a major inaccuracy. It says Jonah has not returned to Coronado ever since his son Max's death. We know that is false because he has been in Coronado making arrangements with the contractors and realtors. And he has even been in the Spreckels mansion. So don't know why they are perpetuating an inaccuracy.

At least we now know Jonah can't wait to get rid of the property. I would too if I were in his shoes.

The property looks pretty good -- shiny and sparkly. I like the addition of the swimming pool as it detracts attention from the infamous balcony and the horrific violent lynching murder of Becky. But again, I personally would not buy/live in a property with so much violent history.

I take it that the murder room is also transformed, with new carpet, bed, etc. although they don't mention it. Do you know? Have you walked through it?

I see too that the second storied stairway bannister remains the same. Hmm, if I were a prospective buyer, I'd definitely ask that the bannister be upgraded and heightened, especially if I had small children.

Scott likes to say that about Jonah, although we all know that it isn't true.

We all have heard this before......and it was a big fat lie!

I don't think it's a lie this time around. The first time he likely wanted to sell it fast but no one bid because of the gruesome murders. That's why he renovated it -- adding swimming pool, etc.

When it gets listed in a few weeks, Jonah won't be able to use the Spreckels anymore. I reckon he won't be taking his new gf there either.

I don't think it's a lie this time around. The first time he likely wanted to sell it fast but no one bid because of the gruesome murders. That's why he renovated it -- adding swimming pool, etc.

When it gets listed in a few weeks, Jonah won't be able to use the Spreckels anymore. I reckon he won't be taking his new gf there either.

I question whether that was the real reason he had the mansion renovated. He seems to be a squirrelly one....jes' sayin'

JMO

When it was announced back in October, 2011 that Spreckels had been sold to an investment group (1043 Ocean LLC, spear-headed by Joe Pinsonneault, a long-time crony of Jonah's and son-in-law to the contractor who did the renovations), that was simply not true, and it became public knowledge that this was all just a story. Since Jonah's yacht (formerly "ENATO" and now "HIS GLORY") and his smaller ski boat are still docked close by, I seriously doubt that he intends to sell Spreckels. And if he does, he will never get anywhere near the asking price.........for many reasons.

When it was announced back in October, 2011 that Spreckels had been sold to an investment group (1043 Ocean LLC, spear-headed by Joe Pinsonneault, a long-time crony of Jonah's and son-in-law to the contractor who did the renovations), that was simply not true, and it became public knowledge that this was all just a story. Since Jonah's yacht (formerly "ENATO" and now "HIS GLORY") and his smaller ski boat are still docked close by, I seriously doubt that he intends to sell Spreckels. And if he does, he will never get anywhere near the asking price.........for many reasons.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I don't think the asking price is that unreasonable, though I'm sure buyers will want to negotiate a much lower price in this market.

What bothers me about the Spreckels is that Jonah did not alter the courtyard balcony or the second story railing. I find that oddly cold. It's as if he's making a statement that there's nothing wrong with either.

I can see why he didn't adjust the height of the second story bannister because that would be an admission that it was too low, and he'd have to pay civil damages to Dina for being negligent in maintaining his home in a safe level for his child Max. But there's really no reason for him not to have alter the structure of the courtyard balcony. IMO he should have modified or gotten rid of it out of respect for Becky. Installing a swimming pool there so that someone on the balcony can overlook the action below seems tacky and tasteless.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I don't think the asking price is that unreasonable, though I'm sure buyers will want to negotiate a much lower price in this market.

What bothers me about the Spreckels is that Jonah did not alter the courtyard balcony or the second story railing. I find that oddly cold. It's as if he's making a statement that there's nothing wrong with either.

I can see why he didn't adjust the height of the second story bannister because that would be an admission that it was too low, and he'd have to pay civil damages to Dina for being negligent in maintaining his home in a safe level for his child Max. But there's really no reason for him not to have alter the structure of the courtyard balcony. IMO he should have modified or gotten rid of it out of respect for Becky. Installing a swimming pool there so that someone on the balcony can overlook the action below seems tacky and tasteless.

As we all know, just because someone has money does not mean that they have class..........and in this case, IMO, that applies to Jonah and Dina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member