GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roma's are gypsies...nothing good to say about them. Why would you travel so far and stay somewhere like this on your first trip? There are better ways of meshing in with locals than this.

The woman who lives across the street from the apartment posted on her blog (later taken down) that she was surprised to hear the neighborhood described as unsafe or rough, and that she wouldn't describe it that way at all. So who knows.

Footage from two security cameras released on Wednesday shows a man thought to be 30-35 years old following Sierra from a shopping mall in the high-traffic area of Taksim to Tarlabaşı Street, the shadier side of Beyoğlu, the district where she was staying. That was the evening of Jan. 20, hours before she disappeared.

According to the passport police found in her room, Sierra left İstanbul on Jan. 15 for Amsterdam and then hopped a plane to Munich the following day.

While the exact amount has not been verified, police and media reports say Sierra spent thousands of dollars in four days in these two cities.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305747-tracing-missing-new-yorkers-steps-online.html

And, she could'nt have flown anywhere since she was seen on Iz. St. because she has no passport. Do we know if this was the first in person meeting on Jan 21 w Talon or is this the Amsterdam "tour" guy?
It is not the Asmterdam tour guy. The two guys she hung out with in Amsterdam, she left in Amsterdam, and they never left there. Also proved by their Instrgram postings around Amsterdam after the fact for the last 2 weeks, that they never left Amsterdam. Though she absolutely left Amsterdam and was back in Turkey, where she was "last seen". They are non factors in her dissapearance in Turkey.

The possibility is either this "Taylan" Turkish person of interest she was supposed to meet at Galata bridge, or some other random. This is the last communication they have between her and someone else, then she dissappeared.

Footage from two security cameras released on Wednesday shows a man thought to be 30-35 years old following Sierra from a shopping mall in the high-traffic area of Taksim to Tarlabaşı Street, the shadier side of Beyoğlu, the district where she was staying. That was the evening of Jan. 20, hours before she disappeared.

According to the passport police found in her room, Sierra left İstanbul on Jan. 15 for Amsterdam and then hopped a plane to Munich the following day.

While the exact amount has not been verified, police and media reports say Sierra spent thousands of dollars in four days in these two cities.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305747-tracing-missing-new-yorkers-steps-online.html

Here we go, this guy following her seems suspicious, though it sounds like this was the day before she was still around and planning on meeting "Taylan". Maybe she was being scoped for abduction and sex trafficking? Maybe this, some other harm, or something happened with "Taylan". Let us hope and pray she is still alive.

At first I thought it strange that Sarai who has been described in the media as a “photographer” would only have a phone camera rather than a dedicated one, but on reading messages from her friends, it seems that her way of doing things was to meet up with fellow instagramers and go on photographic walks with her phone camera. So it would make sense that she would meet up with this mysterious Taylan and go on a walk between the Asian and Western side of Istanbul. It’s also possible that he either led her off track by foot, by claiming to know where she could take some good pictures, or more likely, offered to drive her to a place for picture taking. She would have no inkling that anything was amiss, because that’s what she was there for. Alternatively, he could have offered to take her to lunch and possibly offer to drive her to the airport – again, he could have got her into his car without arousing suspicion.

I really don’t think Sarai would be targetted by local men who prey on tourists. She didn’t stand out as being a tourist, she was covered with pants, jacket and hat pulled down, and didn’t have a camera slung over her shoulder, so would have looked like any other person, just walking around.

If this Taylan person did not come forward earlier to assist with police enquiries, but had to be tracked down, then it’s looking more likely that he had something to do with her disappearance.

I think I figured out the confusion. She was leaving on the 22nd not the 21st. She went to the bridge on the 21st and this is where she met with foul play. I hope there are cameras around that can tell the authorities exactly what happened.

ahh gottcha! Now it makes sense.

Something is wrong. The guy she stayed with in Amsterdam says she was there for 3 days, not 1. How could her passport say she left for Munich after only 1 day? I think they have it mixed up. Amsterdam for 3 days and Munich for 1 day. Also he did not charge her anything to stay in his apt on his couch in Amsterdam.

At first I thought it strange that Sarai who has been described in the media as a “photographer” would only have a phone camera rather than a dedicated one, but on reading messages from her friends, it seems that her way of doing things was to meet up with fellow instagramers and go on photographic walks with her phone camera. So it would make sense that she would meet up with this mysterious Taylan and go on a walk between the Asian and Western side of Istanbul. It’s also possible that he either led her off track by foot, by claiming to know where she could take some good pictures, or more likely, offered to drive her to a place for picture taking. She would have no inkling that anything was amiss, because that’s what she was there for. Alternatively, he could have offered to take her to lunch and possibly offer to drive her to the airport – again, he could have got her into his car without arousing suspicion.

I really don’t think Sarai would be targetted by local men who prey on tourists. She didn’t stand out as being a tourist, she was covered with pants, jacket and hat pulled down, and didn’t have a camera slung over her shoulder, so would have looked like any other person, just walking around.

If this Taylan person did not come forward earlier to assist with police enquiries, but had to be tracked down, then it’s looking more likely that he had something to do with her disappearance.
I agree 100%. Very insightful, and along the lines of what I was thinking. Might of even had other friends with him who aided and abeted. Also, still could be a random. Maybe even, last though, an accident? She was near a bridge, though no one seeing this in a touristy area doesn't seem likely. Yet, these are still possibilities.

BBM: Wonder what she spent the money on? I'm sorry, but I can't shake the drug vibe even though it is seemingly totally out of character for her. This whole trip, where she was staying, where she went, the strange itinerary, the money spent, meeting up with strangers, is pretty strange.

sieran.jpg

New Yorker Sarai Sierra, who went missing since Jan. 21, is seen in Dutch capital of Amsterdam during her visit to the country.

<The original comment I responded to was modsnipped, so I'm self-snipping.>

I think the $10,000 mentioned was said to be inaccurate, and just a rumour that spread. I haven't seen a police report that stated she spent $000's while on her trip.

All indications are, that Sarai was travelling on a shoestring budget. She was staying in inexpensive accommodation in a not so nice area in Turkey, sleeping on a couch in Amsterdam, probably took a cheap flight to Amsterdam via Munich. It would have been in the hundreds rather than thousands.

BBM: Wonder what she spent the money on? I'm sorry, but I can't shake the drug vibe even though it is seemingly totally out of character for her. This whole trip, where she was staying, where she went, the strange itinerary, the money spent, meeting up with strangers, is pretty strange.
The only reason I dont buy the amount of money, is because it is based on what? Why would the police in the middle of their sensitive data collection and investigation release this information, it has no bearing on her whereabouts. I also doubt the CC companies or Bank would release this to the public or some journalist, that is a crime. I call total 100% BS on this info being out there, and any relevance to her trip. I truely disdain the media sometimes. It irks me seeing so many "news" pieces that are fabricated or twisted around on the same info. Good journalism waits to corroborate facts. I am not seeing this at all with many of the pieces being put out. I am very cautious about the media right now, and trust only what images/pictures and video I have seen from her husband, and elected officials, or police and stated from their mouths, or from the instgram info I have seen.

There might be some speculation on whether she met someone and planned to run away with him but I can't imagine anyone reminding her father to pick her up if she knew she wouldn't be coming home.

The image foremost in their minds right now is this surveillance video. It was released by Turkish police showing Sierra in an Istanbul shopping mall on January 20.

A day earlier, her parents say they spoke to her on Skype.

"She was giving me the flight info, when she was coming in on the 22nd, what the flight was and what time she was coming in and she told me don't forget," said her father, Dennis Jimenez.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/359978/28/Sarai-Sierras-family-pleads-for-her-return

I really can't see her running away either. I just can't see her leaving those kids.

Sure things can happen in relationships and marriage (not that I'm suggesting there was a problem there), cos things can happen when you least expect, when you aren't actively seeking relationships.

BUT, I just can't see her leaving her children behind.

I kinda wish it was a case of her 'running away'. Sadly, it doesn't seem like that too me, which doesn't make for a good outcome. I'd love to be wrong.

It must be so tough on the family, for it to happen close to home is terrible, but to have thousands of miles between countries, a foreign land unfamiliar to them, must make them feel so helpless.

"Galata Bridge is about 2 kilometers from her hostel"

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/individual_known_as_taylan_rep.html

"Communication between Sarai and Taylan, January 21:
Sarai to "Taylan": "I'll be down soon and the front of Galata Tower, Will you come?" First message."I'm on the way, you want me to call me? Second message.
"Taylan" to Sarai: "I'll be down there, I hope you are wireles.""

Site is in Turkish, so use google translate.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22485186.asp

"She stayed with a man named Ammer R., who posted photos of Sierra in Amsterdam on Facebook. Her family is friends with him on Facebook.

But there is another man, Hendrick P., who uploaded photos of Sierra to Instagram while she was visiting Amsterdam. The two messaged one another via the popular photo-sharing website."

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305636-whom-did-sarai-sierra-meet-while-abroad.html

Cameras footage from &#304;stanbul Atatürk Airport:

http://www.aktuel.com.tr/webtv/haber/video/sarai-havalimaninda-boyle-goruntulendi?id=c56f58c8-94de-4b7c-b38a-44c7e78352e4

Real identity of a contact uncovered in missing American woman case

The identity of the contact has been uncovered and transmitted to the Turkish police by the FBI, according to Do&#287;an news agency. The authorities have decided not to disclose the identity of “Taylan,” and the public prosecutor will determine if "Taylan" will be taken into custody after an interrogation. However, the man is not a suspect and the interrogation will not take place at a police station on a specific request made by the witness, the report said citing official sources.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/re...-case.aspx?pageID=238&nID=40232&NewsCatID=341

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22485186.asp

"She stayed with a man named Ammer R., who posted photos of Sierra in Amsterdam on Facebook. Her family is friends with him on Facebook.

But there is another man, Hendrick P., who uploaded photos of Sierra to Instagram while she was visiting Amsterdam. The two messaged one another via the popular photo-sharing website."

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305636-whom-did-sarai-sierra-meet-while-abroad.html

Cameras footage from &#304;stanbul Atatürk Airport:

http://www.aktuel.com.tr/webtv/haber/video/sarai-havalimaninda-boyle-goruntulendi?id=c56f58c8-94de-4b7c-b38a-44c7e78352e4

Hendrick was the man who kept asking her if she was in Amsterdam. She replied that she had already left and was back in Turkey. I didn't see any pictures of her on his IG. Someone posted a nasty comment on one of his pictures. He didn't even know she was missing because it wasn't in the news in Holland. Information in this case is all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600