Explosion Boston Marathon #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that I've cried today. When I read that a little boy of 8 years old was killed. It just breaks my heart for his family. My heart hurts for them all but he was just a little boy...

I don't cry.

I am crying.

bbm: my husband (active duty ltc in the army currently and also served in iraq, afghanistan, bosnia, etc) said the same thing. If this were a backpack bomb with shrapnel you would not see limbs blown off. These bombs had kapow.. not just packed with nails, etc.

that's pretty much what mark furhman was trying to say....these were the same things being used in the ME...same type of explosion, same type of injuries. seems to be the general consensus amongst those in the know....

on the news radio (talk radio I am currently listening to.. like right now) I just heard several interviews that say races may be postponed or they will have huge warnings. I am listening live. I have no link.

I've just seen Utah and London won't cancel.
I wouldn't be surprised if some closer to Boston do... especially if they don't have a suspect.

When I saw them described as "small homemade bombs" I was like :what:
I don't think "small homemade bombs" kill multiple people and blow a dozen+ of limbs off! :what:

complete mischaracterization based on the destruction imhoo:twocents:

on the news radio (talk radio I am currently listening to.. like right now) I just heard several interviews that say races may be postponed or they will have huge warnings. I am listening live. I have no link.

Run to Remember
OKC Memorial Marathon Update
We are watching the details of the Boston Marathon unfold. Once we know the details, we will review our safety and security plan and make any necessary adjustments.

The OKC Memorial Marathon was created because of the OKC bombing and since that time, our city has enjoyed unprecedented cooperation between city, county, state and federal officials.

As more information become available, we will post details on the Memorial and Marathon websites.

The Boston Marathon is the pinnacle of all races and our thoughts are with them as they deal with this. Our thoughts and prayers also go to the people of Boston and those impacted by today’s senseless tragedy.
http://www.okcmarathon.com/

bbm: my husband (active duty ltc in the army currently and also served in iraq, afghanistan, bosnia, etc) said the same thing. If this were a backpack bomb with shrapnel you would not see limbs blown off. These bombs had kapow.. not just packed with nails, etc.
And, the second one. It seems that there weren't a lot of casualties at that site. From the pictures I've seen - the first one is horrific with the amount of blood, but the second doesn't seem that way. I could be wrong, if anyone has found pics of the second site...... If I'm seeing that right, why were there just a few injured there when the first site was in the middle of a crowd? I would think, with that many people, those crowds were huge and extended down streets for a long ways....

JMHO

I wouldn't be surprised if some closer to Boston do... especially if they don't have a suspect.

well.. I suppose they will wait and see what further intel they get.. why put runners in that number at risk:twocents:

I don't cry.

I am crying.

:hug: nursie. Thanks. I'm usually a hard nut to crack and this has me weeping like a little girl for this child.

I was listening to a report given by an eye witness and he remarked about after hearing the explosion what caught his attention were hellium balloons immediately floating skyward. I couldn't help but think "I wonder if those belonged to that sweet little boy".

Our Broad Street Run is coming up soon. I'll check.

I have to admit that I've cried today. When I read that a little boy of 8 years old was killed. It just breaks my heart for his family. My heart hurts for them all but he was just a little boy...
Hey, I cried, and I'm an old guy. I love my country. I hate to see us hurting.

well.. I suppose they will wait and see what further intel they get.. why put runners in that number at risk:twocents:

A lot depends on if they have a suspect or not too. If they have NOT caught the person... I'd probably cancel them all.

Even if they have a suspect I think I'd probably be cancelling the OKC one... and probably a few others.
I don't know why I keep thinking about the 13 colonies... the revolution. I'd cancel any in those states. :twocents:

Have any reports about the Newtown families that were sitting in the VIP section close to where the bomb went off, surfaced?

Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys 2m
ABC News: Police officer says Boston bombs packed with "small metal objects"

Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys 2m
Terry Moran, ABC News: Boston bombs packed with nails, zippers and blades intended to maim, police officer says

A lot depends on if they have a suspect or not too. If they have NOT caught the person... I'd probably cancel them all.

Even if they have a suspect I think I'd probably be cancelling the OKC one... and probably a few others.
I don't know why I keep thinking about the 13 colonies... the revolution. I'd cancel any in those states. :twocents:

I suppose it does greatly depend on the threat level. On NPR (live) they are saying that all avenues are being explored (re: chatter, etc etc etc)

And, the second one. It seems that there weren't a lot of casualties at that site. From the pictures I've seen - the first one is horrific with the amount of blood, but the second doesn't seem that way. I could be wrong, if anyone has found pics of the second site...... If I'm seeing that right, why were there just a few injured there when the first site was in the middle of a crowd? I would think, with that many people, those crowds were huge and extended down streets for a long ways....

JMHO

I wondered about that. I haven't seen any pictures of the second site at all. Maybe as the days go on there will more pictures. I also heard the 2nd bomb was more powerful yet no casualties. Weird.

Have any reports about the Newtown families that were sitting in the VIP section close to where the bomb went off, surfaced?

Yes, they are physically okay.

(There is a link in the thread, but I don't have it handy, just wanted to reassure you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675