Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Hall was just on HLN and you can FEEl the anger, sadness and pure disappointment that this hung jury has had on the family. He conveyed how ludicrous is was for Jodi to get up there and talk about book clubs and recycling programs when in reality its all BS. This trial has taken such a toll on the family on every level. I pray the next jury reaches a verdict quickly. The family has every right to be upset with the juries decision - or lack of one - they found her guilty and found extreme cruelty no problem - but instead of handing down a just sentence of death they get hung up. They cannot understand HOW this could happen if everyone was following the law. Instead of being able to put Jodi behind them this will still drag on. Its so unfair and wrong!! This family deserves and needs closure. This must seem like a nightmare to them. I guess were lucky the jury didn't mess up the guilt phase because it sounds like they had a hard time even agreeing on murder 1. Unbelievable. I think had this been tried by a judge she would already be on death row. I am seriously thinking that jury trials are just no good. Common sense just is not that common anymore.

I have to say that in my opinion, Juan Martinez did not prove murder one. In my opinion, he should thank his lucky stars he got murder one. Now the Jury is being accused of not following the law and not being able to understand the case? Who decides what is common sense? Me? Lets put all people like me on professional Juries and Jodi Arias would be convicted of murder two now, 25 years to life, over and done.

This is not a sports event. And, the Jury is the finder of fact, not the random public. Please! They're the ones who sat there day after day for four months. And, not with popcorn.

IMO

In my experience, the first person who volunteers for a position like that is not likely the best candidate. Ego is often the primary motivation. :cow:

Agreed! new people do not know that and I did not stand up to them to do that. I would do that now.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I wish they had decided one way or the other. DP or LWOP. I wish this nightmare was over for the Alexanders and people would rapidly lose interest in JA.

She gets to do this again. She gets to have everyone focused on her again and she gets to be front and center and give a speech that will wound TA's family. She gets to not apologize again.

This is what distresses me. One more time, it will be all about her.

Just saw a friend of Travis Alexander on HLN. He was describing the hardship the family has endured. To put an end to their torture and JA's continued ability to hurt them, I hope they and the prosecutor decide to take LWP. The only factor would be if the judge would impose this sentenced. I do not know what legal factors are that the judge must consider during a sentencing phase. No previous criminal record? Lack of remorse? An 8-4 vote for the death penalty? The mitigating factors listed by the defense? Her age? Does anyone know how the judge's decision may be limited during sentencing?

LWP? Seriously? egads.

There was nothing to imagine she admitted it. And there were pictures to prove it.

Not a critique here just confusion. But I do applaud them for getting the murder 1 correct.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. Intellectually I know Jodi is a monster, she did these horrific things. But I just look at her in disbelief and think "How could you do these things?" On the outside she seems like a nice, sweet woman. I will admit, it's harder to imagine a woman committing a brutal murder.

Edited for clarity

Some states have "truth in sentencing" laws, which lets the jury know precisely what the effect of their verdict will be (i.e., 30 years for burglary might be reduced to 10 with good behavior, just as an example). Interestingly, in Texas, there was a change in the law a few years ago. Prior to the change, the choice was death or life (which meant the possibility of parole). The legislature (over the strong objections of District Attorneys) passed "life WITHOUT the possibility of parole". Since then, death penalty sentences have gone down pretty dramatically.

Yes, one has to wonder what it takes to get a death sentence these days. I heard a woman on HLN the other day who said she wouldn't vote for death in the Arias case because she wasn't a serial killer.. :banghead:

Maybe just her first, but she has the makings to be a serial killer, imo.

Bet there will some behind the scenes activity and the convicted murderer will be relocated to another prison on security grounds. We will find out after she is already 'relocated'.

Regardless of the platform the media has put her on, CMja is a nobody in Estrella, she is just a number. She is already under Max lockdown.
If someone wants to get to her, it can be done, doesn't matter where they put her or where she is moved.

With a new phase they cannot revisit the aggravating factors, right. tia

I am not an Arizona lawyer, but my understanding is that you are correct. This is because the jury reached a verdict on the aggravating factors. I have been trying to imagine having to re-try the sentencing phase, summarizing 4 months of testimony into a few days (although those 4 months consisted of a lot of wasted time). What a nightmare. I am glad that I am not JM today.

I agree with this - there could have been better definition to the BPD, better explanation. This is one area where I felt JM streamlined a bit too much. The other area, more research, more delving into the May 26 text from Travis - such as finding out the reason why Travis said what he said. What made him say those things. There was no context to the text message - there were only angry words in black and white. What Travis went through with the little murderer was not defined, presented in the front. The buttons she pushed were not referenced or ever made known. This may well be due to evidence the judge ruled was too prejudicial. But this issue, the things Travis had to put up with, needs to be presented somehow. Case in point - where the murderer claims Travis was smacking his head against a closet door after words with her - she ran up there to confront him again.

It is possible if somehow JM can bring in post convistion videos, the jury might well see the murderer for who she is and how she passively/aggressively manipulates - this needs to be clear in front of a jury. What better way than her own interviews.

YES!!! Show videos of JA in different scenarios. Show how she can change on a dime. Juan has to SHOW the jurors how she is.

I really wonder if juror 8 could have brought them all home.

One good thing is now JuanM knows exactly what evidence to push for and how to decimate the defense. AND I hope the judge does not treat the defense with kit gloves.

And why aren't JA's lawyers bailing on her now that they have a chance? Because they never intended to bail and it was only a ploy?

Still early. I'm expecting that delay

Snipped and BBM

THIS I have a problem with. Juries should be presented with all the facts. They should have been able to see all the police interviews and the media interviews etc. To make a decision based on some of the information is wrong IMO. Especially when these people do go home and find out what they were not allowed to see.

Agree.

1 -YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT
2 - ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW.
3 - YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO TALK TO A LAWYER AND HAVE HIM PRESENT WHILE YOU ARE BEING QUESTIONED.
4 - IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO HIRE A LAWYER, ONE WILL BE APPOINTED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE ANY QUESTIONING IF YOU WISH.
5 - YOU CAN DECIDE AT ANY TIME TO EXERCISE THESE RIGHTS AND NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS OR MAKE ANY STATEMENTS.

I guess I missed the part that disclaims it all and tells the suspect to go ahead and act a fool, make yourself look as dangerous and as murderous as you are because even though we've warned your dumb a$$, it could be deemed prejudicial and will never be shown to your jury.

Do we know if it was the 4 woman for life and 8 men for death?? I don't have the time to read and catch every news source and have fallen behind!

I don't understand all the hate for HLN. Sure they make money and speculate just as many do here and other places. That's the world we live in now. Nancy didn't miss a beat on her show last night and her sharp wit is what makes me continue to love her despite her few faults! I don't even mind JVM as I think she makes interesting points.

I guess this penalty phase verdict is proof of the weaknesses in our justice system. I commend the jurors who held strong for death! God bless them! I would be afraid her sentence would be reduced at some point with life and she would get parole, but being realistic, statistically speaking, I could probably accept LWOP, although people have gotten out with that sentence. I do think Jodi's attractiveness works in her favor.

I have never heard their were 4 woman for life and 8 men for death. If you are referring to my post I was saying my thoughts. If anyone misunderstood that then I'm sorry..:blushing:

In my experience, the first person who volunteers for a position like that is not likely the best candidate. Ego is often the primary motivation. :cow:

Exactly. I've already posted about the self-promotion and overt campaigning. Sounds like this jury foreman did just that - promoted himself to be the foreman. :moo:

I have to say that in my opinion, Juan Martinez did not prove murder one. In my opinion, he should thank his lucky stars he got murder one. Now the Jury is being accused of not following the law and not being able to understand the case? Who decides what is common sense? Me? Lets put all people like me on professional Juries and Jodi Arias would be convicted of murder two now, 25 years to life, over and done.

This is not a sports event. And, the Jury is the finder of fact, not the random public. Please! They're the ones who sat there day after day for four months. And, not with popcorn.

IMO
Can you please state how he did not prove murder one?

Have you seen the autopsy photos of Travis?

Some states have "truth in sentencing" laws, which lets the jury know precisely what the effect of their verdict will be (i.e., 30 years for burglary might be reduced to 10 with good behavior, just as an example). Interestingly, in Texas, there was a change in the law a few years ago. Prior to the change, the choice was death or life (which meant the possibility of parole). The legislature (over the strong objections of District Attorneys) passed "life WITHOUT the possibility of parole". Since then, death penalty sentences have gone down pretty dramatically.

Yes, one has to wonder what it takes to get a death sentence these days. I heard a woman on HLN the other day who said she wouldn't vote for death in the Arias case because she wasn't a serial killer.. :banghead:

the sad truth is nobody can be absolutely positive someone won't get out of prison, no matter what the sentence. even here in texas.

remember kenneth mcduff? absolutely the worst of the worst. i think he killed at least 14 people. he got the DP----then got that commuted to LIFE. then he got out with TIME SERVED and killed several MORE people.

this is the problem----we just need to know what the hell is really going to happen with these sentences. when a jury says death, they MEAN death, and same with LIFE. it's a joke, really.

I just want to thank OUTOFSTATELAWYER . Since the sentencing verdict my mind has been overrun with questions.

I appreciate your willingness to share your valuable knowledge with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTaylor