CO - Dylan Redwine - Forensics Discussion- *WARNING!* MAY INCLUDE GRAPHIC DETAILS

I've always wondered if the sweatpants were a plant in an attempt to show what Dylan slept in that night. Something like...I found these on the couch, etc.

I've always wondered if the sweatpants were a plant in an attempt to show what Dylan slept in that night. Something like...I found these on the couch, etc.

That is so weird as I thought the same thing . But the size of them I think was 8-10 years and he was nearly 14 years of age so I can not imagine them fitting him ?

That is so weird as I thought the same thing . But the size of them I think was 8-10 years and he was nearly 14 years of age so I can not imagine them fitting him ?

But would the perp know that?

But would the perp know that?

No idea , I guess it depends on whether MR was the one to buy them in the first place . Also we know Mark did not have something for the dogs to scent as I thought Mike have to drive half way and meet Elaine and Cory with scent items so that rules out Dylan sleeping in them I would think .

I may be getting O/T (depending on what you include in forensics), but I'd like to respond to this point...

From the press report:

"Investigators confirmed that Dylan arrived at Mark’s home on Sunday at about 8:00 PM after stops at Wal-Mart and McDonald’s in Durango."

Since the timing is so specific, I suspect the use of Dylan's Ipod touch from MR's wireless network is the source of this confirmation.

Analysis of the swabs might provide an extra measure of certainty that he had been there (but that could have been from a previous visit).

You may be right. If Dylan's iPod touch connected to Mark's wifi the device ID would appear in Mark's wifi activity. Each device has its own ID. A laptop, iPod, even a cell phone each have unique ID's. The only problem is who made the connection? Mark or Dylan or an automatic connection? I can see LE narrowing the usage down by the activity on his iPod. Games, passwords, etc...Things only Dylan would know. Very good point!

Sorry, again, I'm not sure this belongs in forensics...

Sorry asyousay - I tend to get distracted easily :)
There were the sweat pants that were definitely too small for MR.... I have to wonder why they couldn't be used as a smell item for the dogs early on, kwim?
Salem

IMO: I've also been assuming those sweatpants were Dylan's. My current guess is that MR didn't even know they were around, else they would have disappeared along with everything else. I suspect they were packed near the top and Dylan took them out to get at some item beneath them (maybe his ipod) and didn't repack them (why would he?) and MR simply overlooked them but LE didn't.

Another possibility is they were just still hanging around MR's house from a previous visit (which would account for their being too small for Dylan).

From the evidence document, LE took a swab from Mark's washing machine hose. Since Mark isn't in jail, can we assume that Dylan's blood wasn't in there/previously on Mark's clothes?

You may be right. If Dylan's iPod touch connected to Mark's wifi the device ID would appear in Mark's wifi activity. Each device has its own ID. A laptop, iPod, even a cell phone each have unique ID's. The only problem is who made the connection? Mark or Dylan or an automatic connection? I can see LE narrowing the usage down by the activity on his iPod. Games, passwords, etc...Things only Dylan would know. Very good point!

yeah but you have to set up your wifi router to capture and keep data like that. some advanced routers will list dhcp leases and their mac addresses (the unique id you mentioned) even after they're expired but not all of them do. some don't story any data beyond configuration type stuff.

yeah but you have to set up your wifi router to capture and keep data like that. some advanced routers will list dhcp leases and their mac addresses (the unique id you mentioned) even after they're expired but not all of them do. some don't story any data beyond configuration type stuff.
If reading right, possible confused. Didn't know it was confirmed at 8. That's good to be clear on. I'm of technical belief that If Dylan logged ipod into a text or fb app, the receiver records the device address and IP. Not the router in house, but his providers easy to get data.

I haven't been following this case closely, so I am a little behind on all of the fine details. Caffeinejean mentioned that I should take a look at the thread, when I got a chance. I noticed that the recent discussion is about Dylan Redwine's remains, in regards to the search and rescue techniques and his possible remains being scattered by wildlife. I am not an expert regarding this information, but I had posted a few good links in my Google Sleuthing Guide, here on Websleuths, regarding conditions and scattering of remains and Search and Rescue Techniques. I hope that his information can be useful to this discussion. Here is the info from my post from a few months ago:

Here is a useful guide from The Search and Rescue Tracking Institute out of Virginia. It explains what their people are trained to look for when searching for a person or deceased individual. It includes some statistics, things to look for in disturbed soil and vegetation, body decomposition and different animals that might be around because of the body.

(The Search for Human Remains in the SAR Environment 33 Pages PDF Format (SARTI-Mark Gleason) 3-08
www.sarti.us/sarti/files/SearchForHumanRemains.pdf

Excerpt from the PDF file:
"Citing FBI statistics, Vass indicates that clandestine graves are typically no deeper than
2.5 feet, are “close” to water or “near” a poorly traveled road, are 10 feet away from the nearest large tree, and contain a clothed or wrapped corpse which will be face down"....
"Recovery sites are largely rural (51%). The geographical profile for the recovery sites includes:
1. Remote areas with vehicle/road access
2. Near or in water
3. Within ½ mile of an intersection
4. Dirt roads are favored over paved roads
5. Body often within 150 feet of access road
6. Body located to downhill side if sloped ground is present."

Here is a link to the SARTI site, with other search and rescue PDF guides:
http://sarti.us/sarti/reference.php

The Search for Human Remains in the Search and Rescue Environment,
Analysis of Fading in Soda Cans, Observations re: Children's Foot & Shoe Sizes, Following Blood Trails updated August 2007

Last night while I was thinking about all this, I was reminded of something my ex bf said a long time ago that I doubt I would have thought about had Dylan's murder not unfolded this way (re: coyotes, etc.):

My ex is a huge nature and animal lover. He said that when he dies, he wants his body to be laid in the woods so he can be eaten by animals so he contribute to the overall circle of life.

Dylan's remains have undergone a cycle which now contributes to fertilizing the earth. It's like ashes to ashes, hard to explain, but Dylan's essence now exists physically in nature through the soil, trees, plants, anything that grows. I'm imagining a beautiful tree with flowers blossoming.

If reading right, possible confused. Didn't know it was confirmed at 8. That's good to be clear on. I'm of technical belief that If Dylan logged ipod into a text or fb app, the receiver records the device address and IP. Not the router in house, but his providers easy to get data.

First Mark said that he didn't know what Dylan was doing electronically, only that he was sitting on the edge of the couch where he could get better reception. Then later he says (on Tricia's show iirc) that Dylan was on Facebook. So if what you say above about receiver records is accurate (I'm not a techie) then one would assume that LE has this information and it's how they know Dylan was at the house that night. In addition it makes sense that LE would have "mentioned" it to Mark and that's why more recently he has recollected that Dylan was on Facebook.

I've always wondered if Dylan's cell phone had already been taken away and when he got out his ipod this was a large source of contention with dad. Plus why would Mark have "argued and argued and argued..." with LE about the timing of Dylan's last communication if this was not a significant factor in how the evening played out?

While trying to find some evidence of what forensic came out of the vehicles I found this :

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...edwines-father-does-not-call-father-a-suspect

Is that a normal set up for a search/seizure? That was nov 29, 2012
I really do not know, if all the tents, taking of vehicles are all normal or pretty much red flags showing a crime scene or just normal. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

I think today will be a very telling day.

I also found a news article from November 30, 2012, which I hadn't read before. I remembered that LE asked the public for any video footage of the roadways around Vallecito, but didn't know they had received some. In the article they thanked the public for contributing footage.

Lt. Shupe said they would like to thank the community for sharing video footage of the Vallecito area, taken between the evening of Sunday, November 18 and noon on Monday, November 19.

"Footage is currently being analyzed by investigators for clues," said Lt. Shupe.
http://www.kjct8.com/news/Investiga...-boy/-/163152/17609894/-/yrl3duz/-/index.html

Maybe the examination of this footage, which probably took LE past the first snows, helped to direct the search for Dylan.

From the evidence document, LE took a swab from Mark's washing machine hose. Since Mark isn't in jail, can we assume that Dylan's blood wasn't in there/previously on Mark's clothes?

I don't think so. I mean, you can, but from my observations I would say that LE is not sharing anything and they are not moving forward until they have everything they need. We don't know what the results of the swabs were, only that they were taken, kwim? IMO, LE isn't going to tell us the results until there is some kind of trial, regardless of who the defendant might be.

Salem

RE: shoelaces of DR located at disposal site/DNA & shoelaces

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/114908669.html
DNA Links Hilton and Cheryl Dunlap(FL)

DNA and Population Statistics expert JoEllen Brown spent much of the afternoon on the stand-- She testified Cheryl Dunlap's DNA was found on 4 items recovered from Gary Michael Hilton's white Astro van and a dumpster in Georgia.

Brown says a black duffle bag had traces of what is believed to be Dunlap's DNA, but it was the shoestring on one of Hilton's hiking boots, a blue sleeping bag and a blue pair of pants that had DNA profiles that statistics show would not match any one else on the planet beside Dunlap.

I have a lot of faith that those shoe laces did or will tell a tale.

I've always wondered if Dylan's cell phone had already been taken away and when he got out his ipod this was a large source of contention with dad. Plus why would Mark have "argued and argued and argued..." with LE about the timing of Dylan's last communication if this was not a significant factor in how the evening played out?

IMO: I also think MR confiscated Dylan's phone not long after 8:00. The last two msgs from Ryan don't *need* acknowledgement, but it would be more natural for Dyland to respond with "OK" or "kk." But he couldn't because MR had confiscated it. Maybe MR decided to let Dylan text during the car ride, but he wanted some quality time at home with the movie. Dylan continued to ignore him and found other ways to convo with friends, resulting in a blow-up. Good catch about MR and the arguing comment! I do think that fits right in with this scenario.

I have a lot of faith that those shoe laces did or will tell a tale.

I sure hope you're right!

If the shoestring was on or near his remains this would be an important clue. If it had Dylan's DNA on it, even better. If it was knotted or configured in such a way to suggest it was a murder weapon (strangulation) or was used as a hauling tool, this too would point to homicide. But where I get stuck is -- even if the shoelace tells a story of murder, how can this implicate a particular perp? Additional DNA on the shoelace maybe? Anything else??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back