CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
She might have not even realized he had a youtube with these videos.

Then who had LE check on him? Was it Dad or step-mom? :dunno:
But someone in the family had LE go to the apt. and LE noted that ER was 'nice and polite'.

Two things I wanted to contribute to this thread: 1) you do NOT need to be a rich kid to attend UCSB. My brother and SIL graduated from there. My family was not rich. It is a University of California system public university.

2) In California an involuntary psych hold, when police are called to take someone to a psych hospital by ambulance is called a "5150"-police code for it.

How did she not realize it when those videos are what got her concerned to begin with?

I don't know, but it makes no sense that the PD didn't know of the youtube page if that is what she actually called them about. Is that for sure what she called the police about?

Then who had LE check on him? Was it Dad or step-mom? :dunno:
But someone in the family had LE go to the apt. and LE noted that ER was 'nice and polite'.

The sequence of events I heard on the news is that mother contacted a mental health facility. Mental health facility then contacted police. Police went in to do a welfare check on him.
They found him polite and courteous, and that was all she wrote.

I don't know, but it makes no sense that the PD didn't know of the youtube page if that is what she actually called them about. Is that for sure what she called the police about?

She didn't call police directly. She contacted some mental health facility and that facility called police.

Evidently his parents made police aware of disturbing YouTube videos prior to the shooting. Not sure if that included the last video he made on Thursday. I will look for the link. Has that info been posted yet?

Ok, I found it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-uc-santa-barbara-shooting-identified-family/story?id=23853918

"Schifman said in recent weeks that Rodger’s parents were concerned for their son's well being and reported his disturbing YouTube videos to police, which lead to an investigation. According to Schifman, police interviewed Rodger and found him to be “polite and kind.” He did not specify which law enforcement division conducted the interview."

"polite and kind"...I am at a loss for words.

Here you go, SpriteGal. HTH

I'm just getting caught up here but could the Family member just asked for a well check without eluding to the why (youtube) Man if that is the case what a thing to have to live with :banghead:

He never took the drug. He researched it and decided it was not for him.
Mental health professionals could only commit him if he expressed these thoughts to them. If he didn't, their hands were tied.

Thank you!

So, just to get this clear in my mind, he was diagnosed with Asperger's? Or this is an assumption?

I'm not clear on that, either. I'm no doctor, I believe his family's lawyer indicated such.

Important to keep in mind, having one disorder does not preclude him from having another, as well.

It comes from dailymail (not known for its accuracy) and I don't see anything like that on the website.

Hmmm, could they have made the error of naming the 'Independent Living Institute' in Santa Barbara, rather than the very similar 'Independent Living Resource Center" , also in Santa Barbara (and Ventura and San Luis Obispo) that offers housing assistance arranged through a Community Living Advocate ?

http://www.ilrc-trico.org/services/housingpersonalassist.html

Who is eligible and how do we provide services?

http://www.ilrc-trico.org/services.html

Who are we?

"The Independent Living Resource Center is a public-benefit, nonprofit organization that promotes the Independent Living (IL) philosophy and its tenets of full access, equal opportunity, and maximum success and self-sufficiency for all people with disabilities."

Homepage:
http://www.ilrc-trico.org/home.html

They also offer benefits assistance, which it seems ER would be entitled to with his Aspergers dx even if he was accepting financial assistance from friends or family.

If you are an adult applying for Social Security disability based on Asperger’s Syndrome (or are representing an adult applying for benefits), your claim will be judged based on the guidelines laid out in the SSA’s Blue Book, under Section 12.10, which deals with autistic disorder and other pervasive developmental disorders.

To qualify for disability benefits under the Blue Book listing:

you must have medical documentation showing that you have an autistic spectrum disorder which affects your social interaction, your communication, and your ability to focus on activities outside of your immediate interests.
You must further be able to show that this has a marked impact on your daily activities, your ability to function in social situations, or your ability to focus on a task at hand.

If you suffer from depression, other mental illnesses, or any other disability, you will want to include that information in your claim as well, even if it is not related to your Asperger’s Syndrome. If your condition alone does not meet the SSA’s requirements for disability, they will consider the effects of all of your disabling conditions to determine whether you can reasonably be expected to find and maintain gainful employment.

http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/aspergers-syndrome

Will accepting financial assistance from friends or family affect my eligibility for Social Security Disability?

No. When applying for Social Security Disability, accepting financial help from friends, family or any other person will have no negative impact on the status of your claim or your eligibility for benefits. Receiving gifts such as money, food, clothes, or even a place to live is completely permissible.

The only thing that will interfere with your claim is if you are working.

http://www.disability-benefits-help...affect-eligibility-social-security-disability

Maybe this is how he was able to pay for the guns and ammo without charging it to Mum, Dad or Gran???

So maybe the police just went to check on him, but didn't watch the videos in question?? If that is the case, than they really dropped the ball on that one. IMO I watched 2 minutes of one of them and I got chills.

SpriteGal, see my post #490. HTH

So maybe the police just went to check on him, but didn't watch the videos in question?? If that is the case, than they really dropped the ball on that one. IMO I watched 2 minutes of one of them and I got chills.

They might have not been told about the videos. Because if he made any claims in the videos about harming himself or others, that should have given them the reason to lock him up in involuntary commitment. Meanwhile they could have searched his room and would have found his guns and his manifesto.

Two things I wanted to contribute to this thread: 1) you do NOT need to be a rich kid to attend UCSB. My brother and SIL graduated from there. My family was not rich. It is a University of California system public university.

2) In California an involuntary psych hold, when police are called to take someone to a psych hospital by ambulance is called a "5150"-police code for it.

The UC system is top rated and hard to get admitted as you have to be top of your class and have high SAT scores.

The UC system is top rated and hard to get admitted as you have to be top of your class and have high SAT scores.

Well our suspect never went there. He went to a Santa Barbara Community college.

Background....it was on MAL 370 that I found (one of you told me TY!) out I can have CNN on my computer ...........thrilled............I cancelled cable ........

BUT.............I am 54..................and it just seems to me I have noticed this since like April...................come on this is a big story............and it seems like on weekends.............unless it is a nuclear warhead.........Sat and Sun oh well.......................

There doing that cooking guy now..............

Do we all not have questions right now ------------ fair questions -------nothing cooking somewhere

It pisses me off . I get abc doing whatever CNN hello
......................if big news happens on a weekend well CNN does not CHANGE reg programming

I assume I am not being not an idiot operating under the notion that NEWS on this story is happening this minute, autopsy, how are the ones in critical condition doing? more clarity on the apt murders? how are LE dealing wiht what they expericned .........on and on

Is this just me ??????????

that should have given them the reason to lock him up in involuntary commitment. BUT mental illiness changes from day to day ......even of cops knew about video , and like he said "misunderstanding" all he would have to have said oh yea bad day yesterday ..... I have no intention of harming myself or others. AND THEN if cops took him in for eval..........and he was able to deny to me any suicidal or homicial ideation............I could not commit him.... and evidently he was functioning at the level to deny any ideation

in domestic violence lovers call cops and make claims..........when LE gets there ... its a judgment call.........but my anguish is LE , like much of AMerica, needs to understand mental illiness at a much more complicated level

ha 'Independent Living Institute' in Santa Barbara, rather than the very similar 'Independent Living Resource Center" that is exactly what happened to me LATE last night....an by then I was like I am tired.............................

Background....it was on MAL 370 that I found (one of you told me TY!) out I can have CNN on my computer ...........thrilled............I cancelled cable ........

BUT.............I am 54..................and it just seems to me I have noticed this since like April...................come on this is a big story............and it seems like on weekends.............unless it is a nuclear warhead.........Sat and Sun oh well.......................

There doing that cooking guy now..............

Do we all not have questions right now ------------ fair questions -------nothing cooking somewhere

It pisses me off . I get abc doing whatever CNN hello
......................if big news happens on a weekend well CNN does not CHANGE reg programming

Is this just me ??????????

No I think it's just the wonderful world of budget cuts. I do love Anthony Bourdain tho :blushing:

Apparently, someone saw my videos and became instantly suspicious of me. They called some sort of health agency, who called the police to check up on me. The police told me it was my mother who called them, but my mother told me it was the health agency. My mother had watched the videos and was very disturbed by them. I don’t suppose I’ll ever know the full truth of who called the police on me. The police interrogated me outside for a few minutes, asking me if I had suicidal thoughts. I tactfully told them that it was all a misunderstanding, and they finally left. If they had demanded to search my room... That would have ended everything. For a few horrible seconds I thought it was all over. When they left, the biggest wave of relief swept over me. It was so scary.

http://news.rapgenius.com/Elliot-ro...the-story-of-elliot-rodger-part-6-4-annotated

Not disputing that, although I also attended the UC system and was not at the top of my class. The reason I bring up the "rich kid" thing is that katydid made it sound like only rich kids go to UCSB, which couldn't be farther from the truth. It's not Stanford, and even there you have poor kids who get in by scholarship...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member