CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
See post 446.

It totally outlines the difficulties parents and clinicians deal with in addressing these issues. Just scroll through here - you will see all kinds of judgement . It are those belief systems that result in AMerica not " thinking" that mental illiness is real and as a result funding and resources are just not there.

There is a reason why, in America, mass shootings are a weekly event. It has nothing to do with gun control. It has nothing to do with violent video. It is about mental illiness not being paid attention to , $$$$$$$$. And until the focus switches to the real cause (mental illiness) we will all continue to see more and more and more mass shootings.

America is far less evolved than Europe as far as mental illiness goes. They have violent games etc.

Hey...... if the car wont start cause of the alternator and the mechanic is focusing on the battery ................. guess what............car will not start!

If and when mom and dad come out , you will find a lifelong "hell" for them. And they had money. Waiting lists, teachers that are clueless, LE that thinks the mentally ill dont deserve help, psychiatrists that see the clients for 8 minutes and write the next RX, hospital stay durations that completly not helpful, media (today) confusing him as a homosexual struggling (please) . Private insurance dictating treatment. The folks that authorizing payment for services have a 12th grade education and deny services so private insurers can make billions..........

Its a mess

Until America wakes up ..............................

Here is what I don't get about this kid. I get that mental illness can be a HUGE issue. I realize this guy had one or more. Are these recent postings from him the very first sign of all of this violence and malice? This is one, mean, nasty angry guy.

So he was diagnosed with several disorders. Yet he never, in the process of these diagnosis presented as being dangerous or violent? I'm not trying to throw blame at anyone here, IMO the blame is squarely on the shoulders of this young man.

Perhaps someone here with excellent sleuthing abilities can find what this guy was putting out there when he was 18? 16? maybe even 14? The internet is forever and I'm sure there is more out there.

Maybe he was a perfect psychopath/sociopath that was able to fool everyone like he did the officers that were sent to him. There must be something, some warning something evident. It scares the crapola out of me knowing that there could be more like him festering out there.

So now, if you are bullied, it's an excuse (cavet that it is never right to bully anyone and anyone that does such a thing sucks) because you can't get laid, because you're weird, it's an excuse?!?!? I have known and been friends with plenty of guys who most people would think are "weird" but I thought they were very awesome for a number of qualities that they had. I know for a fact one of them is still a virgin pressing 40. He hasn't killed anyone. WTH.

ALWAYS MOO

I would suspect that his family feared him.
I am still a little surprised he didn't attempt to kill one or some of them as well.
He may have decided allowing them to live would be more distressing to them in light of what he planned to do.

I also wonder why he did it a day earlier.
I imagine he didn't check his entitled calendar to verify what day the last day of school was.

IMO he looks like he has been drinking and taking xanax together- but what do I know?

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk
Good point....

Possibly ER did not kill family members knowing what he was going to do (the killing rampage) would be an even more effective means of torture...the guilt, sorrow, etc. would weigh heavy on them...

:waitasec:

Is this complex a dorm? By dorm, I mean connected to the university. To me it just sounds like an apartment complex for college students that might use students to manage the place. If ER's parent's attorney mis-spoke about the "group living situation that teaches life skills" and there really was a group home situation within the complex, I would think this could be a problem for the complex. If my child was a student living at this facility I would want to know about any special group living situation to help make a decision as to where I would want my child to live.

We have quite a number of group homes in our area, most of them single homes. Complexes that offer group home living do so throughout the entire apartment complex.

The Capri in IV appears to me to be a typical off-campus IV dorm type apartment complex. They are, I believe, entirely independent from UCSB - not connected w/UCSB. Nothing on The Capri website indicated to me that it was any type of group home situation. It looks like just your average IV, which is just off-campus, dorm set-up. HTH

JMO but I think the attorney intentionally co-mingled the IV dorm ER was living in with the SB Independent Living Institute and for the possible reasons I stated up-thread. JMO

I feel horrible for all those named too, but at the same time, I will say that none of them should feel guilty about any of this! They did nothing wrong! If anything they are victims too!

I think the person I have the most sympathy for (outside of those killed and injured physically) is the step-mother. She really was the ONLY one who seen something wrong with his behavior and did anything about it. Oh, he hated her for it too. I could tell how he looked down on her just by his words to describe her home country and the people of Morocco, but she was the ONLY one to try and use real consequences for his behavior.

He very much wanted to kill her and his little brother! The only good thing about this entire tragedy is that he didn't.

He rebuffed them and saw them as enemies that got in the way for him. He probably wanted to kill them as well.

This passage of the manifesto caught my attention.

As I made my way back from school one day during the first week, I was stopped at a stoplight in Isla Vista when I saw two hot blonde girls waiting at the bus stop. I was dressed in one of my nice shirts, so I looked at them and smiled. They looked at me, but they didn’t even deign to smile back. They just looked away as if I was a fool. As I drove away I became very infuriated. It was such an insult. This was the way all girls treated me, and I was sick and tired of it. In a rage, I made a U-turn, pulled up to their bus stop and splashed my Starbucks latte all over them. I felt a feeling a spiteful satisfaction as I saw it stain their jeans. I then quickly speeded away before they could catch my license plate number. How dare those girls snub me in such a fashion! How dare they insult me so! I raged to myself repeatedly. They deserved the punishment I gave them. It was such a pity that my latte wasn’t hot enough to burn them. Those girls deserved to be dumped in boiling water for the crime of not giving me the attention and adoration I so rightfully deserve!

This incident soured my first week of college, but for the sake of all of my hopes and dreams, I tried to forget about it.

Any form of rejection real or imagined, throws Elliot Rodger into uncontrollable rage. He thinks people who do not give him attention deserve to be severely harmed. He really wants attention and will do anything for it. Rodgers really overreacts to every little slighting real or perceived. I see extreme sense of entitlement as it is a recurring theme.

Let's not confuse mental illness with personality disorder. I don't believe he had a mental illness. He had multiple personality disorders. The former can be treated with medication. The latter cannot be treated and cannot be cured.

I think that too. Narcissistic and Borderline with possibility of Schizotypal.

I dropped my math class immediately after learning that Brittany had a boyfriend. I couldn’t look at her beauty anymore, knowing that some punk was able to enjoy having sex with her every day. I can only imagine how heavenly that guy’s life must be. He was in heaven and I was in hell. Shortly after dropping my math class, I decided to drop all of my other classes in a rage. There was no point to it anymore. No matter how hard I tried, girls were not attracted to me. What was the point of going through college, getting a degree, and finding some mundane professional job afterwards if I could never experience the pleasure of girls along the way? I didn’t want to torture myself with going to college and looking at all of those beautiful girls I could never have. Nothing beneficial came out of it. There was no hope for me to ever have a desirable college life.

He clearly overreacts and drops out of class over something so trivial. I see sadism in him.

I've had my son hospitalized three times and he is currently in residential treatment. We do not have near the resources that ER's parents have. When you have a child with a mental health issue, you have a responsibility to get them treatment. As long as my child is in my care, I will do everything to get him every opportunity to learn coping skills and get the in-depth psychiatric care that he needs. Hospitalization is a tool--especially in wealthy communities. ER describes "tantrums" all the way into his adult years. Everyone of these "tantrums" were probably missed opportunities to have him hospitalized. If he was defiant and throwing tantrums as a teen, he was probably displaying some kind of violent or threatening behavior. His parents could have called the hospital and asked for him to be admitted to psych. I think they spent years and years minimizing his behavior until it was too late. They aren't to blame. ER is to blame. BUT we as a society have got to stop acting like these kinds of things are just inevitable...like oh well, what can we do, some people are just secretly psycho! I think most of the time there are plenty of warning signs (not just in hind-site) and people just minimize or are in denial. JMO

:goodpost:

Personality disorders are mental illness. It’s like Baskin Robbins there are all kind of flavors......but all of them are ice cream ...

he suffered with a developmental disorder but you are correct different than other mental illness. He, ER, was too sick for a personality disorder to actually be of any importance. Jodi was a personality disorder. Luka was a personality disorder. Lanza (more severe) was in ER same cluster of issues.

James Holmes suffered with a delusional disorder ( that night he truly believed he was the Joker and behaved and did what the Joker did). Cho Virginia Tech was psychotic. They are profoundly different--BUT are all mental disorders...............

. Developmental disorders include autism and mental retardation, disorders which are typically first evident in childhood
  • Personality disorders are clinical syndromes which have a more long lasting symptoms and encompass the individual's way of interacting with the world. They include Paranoid, Antisocial, and Borderline Personality Disorders.
http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html

The notion of "snap" always comes up. There are very few snaps. If you look at Batman he was worsening for months. Look at Lanza , and read moms emails he was escalating for months – mom just had nowhere to go. IF you look at Cho – Cho was ordered by judges for evaluations. Bundy escalated his body counts with the passage of time. Rollins killings got more and more violent. Rapists with time get more and more violent. Dahmer moved from handcuffs, to decapating to eating. John Wayne Gay kept killing more quickly.

None of these are like sudden – it is society not understanding the spirals – in Er case mom knew he was falling, did her best, no resources in the system to listen to mom saying I am telling you my son is going to hurt people help...noone helped and people are dead.

Mental is just like a cancer spreading --- without help it gets worse and worse. Brain tumors grow. Infections spread. If you address a tumor you might stop it. If you put alcohol on an infection you might slow it down. If you do not vacuum your carpet will get dirtier.

Mental is same/ identical.

Let's not confuse mental illness with personality disorder. I don't believe he had a mental illness. He had multiple personality disorders. The former can be treated with medication. The latter cannot be treated and cannot be cured.

See post 446.

It totally outlines the difficulties parents and clinicians deal with in addressing these issues. Just scroll through here - you will see all kinds of judgement . It are those belief systems that result in AMerica not " thinking" that mental illiness is real and as a result funding and resources are just not there.

There is a reason why, in America, mass shootings are a weekly event. It has nothing to do with gun control. It has nothing to do with violent video. It is about mental illiness not being paid attention to , $$$$$$$$. And until the focus switches to the real cause (mental illiness) we will all continue to see more and more and more mass shootings.

America is far less evolved than Europe as far as mental illiness goes. They have violent games etc.

Hey...... if the car wont start cause of the alternator and the mechanic is focusing on the battery ................. guess what............car will not start!

If and when mom and dad come out , you will find a lifelong "hell" for them. And they had money. Waiting lists, teachers that are clueless, LE that thinks the mentally ill dont deserve help, psychiatrists that see the clients for 8 minutes and write the next RX, hospital stay durations that completly not helpful, media (today) confusing him as a homosexual struggling (please) . Private insurance dictating treatment. The folks that authorizing payment for services have a 12th grade education and deny services so private insurers can make billions..........

Its a mess

Until America wakes up ..............................

Well said.
giphy.gif

On one of the days in July, when I was roaming around Girsh Park, a group of popular college kids arrived to play kickball in the fields. They all looked like typical fraternity jocks, tall and muscular. The kind of guys I’ve hated and envied all my life. With them came a flock of beautiful blonde girls, and they looked like they were having so much fun playing together. One of the girls did a handstand in the grass, and her sexy bare stomach showed as her shirt hung down. All of the girls were scantily clad. Rage boiled inside me as I watched those people who thought they were better than me enjoying their pleasurable little lives together. The rage was so intense that I couldn’t take it. I was insulted too much. I couldn’t leave them without getting some form of revenge, so I drove to the nearby K-mart, bought a super-soaker, filled it up with orange juice that I bought at the same store, and drove back to the park. They were still there, having the time of their lives, and I wanted to ruin it for them. I wanted to ruin their fun just like they ruined mine, as they would never accept me among them. I screamed at them
with rage as I sprayed them with my super soaker.
When the boys started to yell and chase after me, I quickly got into my car and drove away. I was giddy with ecstatic, hate-fueled excitement. I wished I could spray boiling oil at the foul beasts. They deserved to die horrible, painful deaths just for the crime of enjoying a better life than me.

He gets a Super Soaker and fills it with orange juice and sprays it at people just because they have girlfriends and he does not. In his eyes, they are beast worthy of death. Talk about major overreaction! :crazy:

Is he a minor ?

IMO he looks like he has been drinking and taking xanax together- but what do I know?
Maybe -- but one of the symptoms of the Autistic disorders are flat affect, not normative expression, a vacancy , a lost place, souless eyes......you see it in most suffering with the illiness

in fact, the symptom helps you with your clinical impression.........its like a infected cut gets swollen ....... a sign of infection same stuff

multiple personality disorders
have in the last several decades pretty much been ruled out ....... it made for great movies but really no longer valid .... a very very very rare entity ......product of 1950s mental health ....like asylums thank god gone!

Yoda your Jon Stewart was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. Narcissistic and Borderline with possibility of Schizotypal

Narcissistic and Borderline = takes a type of intelligence that Er did not process. Being manipulative requires quite a bit of smarts! A capacity to read others, anticipate what others might do etc etc . He was high functioning but would certainly not be "bright" Casey was bright. Jodi was bright. Luka was bright! Bundy was bright!

psychopath/sociopath : Same .... slick, think ahead, weigh chances of getting caught , planning , finding right time place

Er - had it - that simple - the notion that he planned it is "off" . He just had reached his end wiht feeling alone, empty, saw no future, just simply put d o n e ....thats not planning ......that is just .........................done.......................hopeless (huge theme in his writings), no coping skills to change his place..................hopelessness is hallmark of suicide... inabilty to see a different future....................dead end

I think he had a lot in common with Adam Lanza - they both are in the same classification... it is like a table of contents with subchapters.......Lanza would be more severe than ER but same place in our book!

big red flag to his family: Oh I how I hope mom and dad come forward.... by the time of the cliff thing...........they did not need a red flag ...........they knew their child was deeply troubled...........he is an adult............mom would go to prison if she handcuffed an adult to a place in her house..... mom dad much more control when he was minor ........and if you look at the history we know at this point .........on his own...........away from moms protective aware place he got worse and worse..............his coping skills declined with the passage of time....... that is the illiness without the support they need to hopefully remain somewhat stable ...that is not mom or dad ............an adult spinning out of control ...........but mom and dad limited cause of the system........

is the step-mother. totally and if she comes out you all will change your notions.....and in a way I think she will ..................to crusade for the limited resources out there............to educate.............it will be very interesting to see if her life does not change and become a spokeswoman for this spectrum......... I vote and hope yes............but she had better start soon America has no attn span......

end of the semester : what happens at the end of semester drinking PARTY!, Sex, socialization, be with your friends , peers, classes ending party everything that are his core triggers of anguish...................

incident when he was trying to throw women off the ledge: for some reason I have the sense he was drinking that night...............what does alcohol do? Inhibation.........had the nerve maybe to finally try ...........and guess what happened again rejection but what little coping skills he had sober were less in place................ OR when I read that part in his writings for some reason there was a doubt like did any of this (cliff) happen?

Cariis, which illness are you describing here? Autism spectrum disorder.

IMO this guy had several personality disorders. Is it nature or is it nurture? IMO it is often a bit of both. Why do some kill and others are just simply satisfied with making life hell for Family, friends etc? Whoever finds the answer deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. I believe this will be debated until the end of time. Sadly. We do see many cases here where Family puts no limits in place as they go thru life. No accountability for anything. They are the ones I worry about as they get older. Given the right circumstances I believe they have a much higher incidence of committing a murder/s. Just my :twocents:

... investigators search mom's house

... carrying out boxes of evidence.

... Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officers were pictured leaving her West Hills, California, home after conducting a search that included the bins. ...

... [Aunt Jenny in France] said: 'He was a sick kid – somebody who was seriously mentally disturbed..." ... He was on medication ... 'Even as a small child he was obsessed with folding and refolding his clothes, and he never used to laugh. I never heard of him ever having a friend.’ ....................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...revealed-investigators-search-moms-house.html

Personality disorders are mental illness. It’s like Baskin Robbins there are all kind of flavors......but all of them are ice cream ...

he suffered with a developmental disorder but you are correct different than other mental illness. He, ER, was too sick for a personality disorder to actually be of any importance. Jodi was a personality disorder. Luka was a personality disorder. Lanza (more severe) was in ER same cluster of issues.

James Holmes suffered with a delusional disorder ( that night he truly believed he was the Joker and behaved and did what the Joker did). Cho Virginia Tech was psychotic. They are profoundly different--BUT are all mental disorders...............

. Developmental disorders include autism and mental retardation, disorders which are typically first evident in childhood
  • Personality disorders are clinical syndromes which have a more long lasting symptoms and encompass the individual's way of interacting with the world. They include Paranoid, Antisocial, and Borderline Personality Disorders.
http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html

The notion of "snap" always comes up. There are very few snaps. If you look at Batman he was worsening for months. Look at Lanza , and read moms emails he was escalating for months – mom just had nowhere to go. IF you look at Cho – Cho was ordered by judges for evaluations. Bundy escalated his body counts with the passage of time. Rollins killings got more and more violent. Rapists with time get more and more violent. Dahmer moved from handcuffs, to decapating to eating. John Wayne Gay kept killing more quickly.

None of these are like sudden – it is society not understanding the spirals – in Er case mom knew he was falling, did her best, no resources in the system to listen to mom saying I am telling you my son is going to hurt people help...noone helped and people are dead.

Mental is just like a cancer spreading --- without help it gets worse and worse. Brain tumors grow. Infections spread. If you address a tumor you might stop it. If you put alcohol on an infection you might slow it down. If you do not vacuum your carpet will get dirtier.

Mental is same/ identical.

Great post. Wanted to add Narcissistic and Histrionic to your personality disorder list.
As stated on many a thread, I am a borderline. Also, major depressive disorder, anxiety and PTSD. Just as an aside, I have never harmed anyone, except for myself.

It will be interesting if those close to him come forth. I can only imagine!!!!!

Sheriffs never saw menacing videos before California rampage

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/25/sheriffs-never-saw-menacing-videos-before-california-rampage/

"The sheriff's office "was not aware of any videos until after the shooting rampage occurred," Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kelly Hoover told The Associated Press."

Wow. I thought his Mom had LE check on ER because of his YouTube videos. :confused:
Did she not relay this info to LE?

Pictured: All six of virgin killer's victims now named as his two roommates, a friend who was visiting their house and three other students chosen at random
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ority-sisters-male-sophomore-gunned-deli.html

All six victims have now been identified in the Isla Vista killing spree that left seven people dead, including gunman Elliot Rodger, 22.

George Chen, 19, of San Jose and Weihan Wang, 20, of Fremont, were the final victims to be identified on Sunday. They were found dead along with Cheng Yuan Hong, 20, of San Jose, in suspect Elliot Rodger's apartment.

All three victims were UCSB students. They were found deceased with multiple stab wounds in Rodger's apartment located in the 6500 block of Seville Road in Isla Vista.

Deceased
George Chen, 19
Weihan Wang, 20
Cheng Yuan Hong, 20
Chris Michael-Martinez, 20
Katherine Cooper, 22
Veronika Weiss, 19

My heart goes out to the Victims and those who loved them. Based on all the ammo he had thankfully there were not more victims. However one is one too many. So very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member