Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which three people did he know about before he left Liberia? Marthalene died on the night of the 15th/morning of the 16th. Who else died that he knew about before he left on the 19th?

I hadn't realised that - is there a link?
I wish I had a link, IIRC it was Marthalen's mom & dad, then after her death was her brother.
But Duncan was back in USA when the brother passed.
CNN interviewed the remaining family today (small sister and aunt,cousin) on their porch today.

Reid Johnson ‏@reidjohnson 6m6 minutes ago
CDC says Seattle Harborview MC is 5th hospital in US to volunteer to take US Ebola victims from Africa #Q13FOX

I think I missed something. They are volunteering to treat folks like , for example, Duncan who end up here and have it but were recently THERE? Or they are saying send over the sick from inside the countries affected right now and we will treat them and release them back home once cured?

ETA Boy , do I feel stupid. Sorry about that.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/harborview-will-accept-us-ebola-victims-evacuated-/nhcs8/

If I'm not mistaken, Harborview was also the Seattle hospital that treated SARS patients back in 2002? 2003?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oslo, Norway here. Volunteer with Doctors without Borders infected . First case of Norwegian with ebola to be treated at Oslo University hospital.

Link to follow....

sorry, only in Norwegian papers. Can not get them to link here. Will have to wait to it hits English news.
thanks.

http://www.vg.no

I wish I had a link, IIRC it was Marthalen's mom & dad, then after her death was her brother.
CNN interviewed the remaining family today (small sister and aunt,cousin) on their porch today.

'Since the death of Williams, who seems to be patient zero in this Ebola saga, five persons, including Duncan, who tried to help her while she was sick by taking her to the hospital have contracted the deadly Ebola virus."

The victim’s mother and father are currently under quarantine at the ELWA-3 isolation center including her boyfriend according to community sources. There have been three deaths, including the deceased brother only known as Sonnyboy and the community fears there will be more.

source: http://www.frontpageafricaonline.co...s-former-neighborhood-panic-deaths-infections

I think you provided a link for this interesting article earlier in the thread: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/ebola-liberia/index.html

It has today's date and contains the following:

Both of Williams' parents have tested positive for Ebola.

This is another article about what has happened in Marthalene's neighbourhood since she died:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/wires/...-sick-US-Ebola-patients-Liberia-hometown.html

The second article notes that they do not know whereMarthalene contracted Ebola

Neither of them mention anyone but Marthalene dying before Mr Duncan headed to the USA.

They all mention that everyone thought Marthalene died of something to do with her pregnancy or malaria.

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Thomas Eric Duncan rushed to help his 19-year-old neighbor when she began convulsing days after first complaining of stomach pain. Everyone assumed her health problems were related to her being 7 months pregnant. Still, no ambulance came as Ebola decimates Liberia's capital.

All the cases including Duncan appear to have started with Williams, though some wonder how a pregnant woman who stayed at home could have contracted it. Maybe it was her boyfriend Lee — no one has seen him for weeks. Could it have been her close friend known as Baby D, who has since died herself?

So if the above is correct, I don't think there was time for anyone to become symptomatic and die before Mr Duncan left Liberia and he cannot possibly have known about three people dying from Ebola - and he thought (along with everyone else in the neighbourhood) that Marthalene's problems were pregnancy related.

Several of the articles I have read mention Marthalene having convulsions - tongue biting is quite a common occurrence during convulsions or seizures and would explain why her tongue was bleeding.

'Since the death of Williams, who seems to be patient zero in this Ebola saga, five persons, including Duncan, who tried to help her while she was sick by taking her to the hospital have contracted the deadly Ebola virus."

The victim’s mother and father are currently under quarantine at the ELWA-3 isolation center including her boyfriend according to community sources. There have been three deaths, including the deceased brother only known as Sonnyboy and the community fears there will be more.

source: http://www.frontpageafricaonline.co...s-former-neighborhood-panic-deaths-infections

THANKYOU for finding this, I am wrong but I could of sworn hat I heard her parents had died also.

The really horrifying thing about the manner of Marthalene's untimely death is that she was never diagnosed with Ebola and therefore family and neighbours thought she died of a pregnancy related illness. She therefore had a standard Liberian funeral with a wake - the second article I linked to above said that she was young and popular and about 100 people came to her funeral.

He knew. If he didn't know, he would not have lied.

Marthalene Williams died 3 days before Thomas Duncan hopped his flight. She died at 3a.m. at her house on the day he transported her. There is no possible way he did not know of her death!!!

The really horrifying thing about the manner of Marthalene's untimely death is that she was never diagnosed with Ebola and therefore family and neighbours thought she died of a pregnancy related illness. She therefore had a standard Liberian funeral with a wake - the second article I linked to above said that she was young and popular and about 100 people came to her funeral.

that is terrifying!

that is terrifying!

What I read is that the family got a death certificate and had her quickly buried before the health department could investigate the cause of her death. To me, that's criminal! It's not like in Judaism, which has quick burials for religious reasons.

The family of the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, took her by taxi to a hospital with Mr. Duncan’s help after failing to get an ambulance. Ms. Williams was turned away for lack of space in the hospital’s Ebola treatment ward, the family said, and they took her back home in the evening, hours before she died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/u...-those-who-had-contact-with-patient.html?_r=0

bbm

Why would they take someone having a miscarriage to an Ebola Tx ward?

Duh.

If they didn't know she was sick with ebola why did they take her to the ebola treatment ward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member