SIDEBAR #49 - Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.

Found the movie produced by the Highway Patrol back in the early 60's that was shown in the cafeteria of my grade school when I was in 1st grade. It totally messed me up (and many of my friends as I found out years later). Some of you may have seen it also.
The School nurse who got the movie to show to us was later fired because of it.
It had actual crime scene footage at the end. The problem was, besides being inappropriate for kids, it only talked about "stranger danger". Anyone who was being molested by family or friends didn't realize it applied.
Warning: The last few minutes are disturbing and graphic.

[video=youtube;5NtCd1Asnk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtCd1Asnk0[/video]

Did anyone else have to watch this when they were a kid?

Ok, I'm know I'm late to the party, but GEEZE Bernina! I cannot believe you were shown this in the 1st grade! I grew up in the 70s and 80s and thank goodness this was not around. That scene at the end is worse than the bloody car crashes we were shown in Driver's Ed...and we were teenagers!

So "Benji" it is. Good Name. LOL

Here is a tip I learned on a dog training video I once saw. For naming mainly dogs, they said it is good to try to make a 2 syllable name. The reason that they gave is if only 1 syllable, then sometimes other words RHYME with the dogs name and sometimes they think you are calling them when saying the other word that is rhyming with it.

With 2 syllables it is less likely to happen and the dogs will learn their name much quicker.

They said 3 syllables is sometimes too confusing. It can work as they get used to it but they just did not recommend it. They recommended sticking to 2 syllables if you have the opportunity to name your dog. They even mentioned that if you do go with 3, you will find that you will end up shortening it yourself anyway to 2 syllables. They said 3 syllables is sometimes hard on the adults and we get lazy and like to shorten it ourselves.

Kind of like if we named our pet with these 3 syllables...."SugarPie"......that over time, we would end up just calling it "Sugar".

I found this naming tip very helpful for me and I always try to follow the 2 syllable rule if I can.

Another tip that I learned myself by trial and error is like you just mentioned. I named my recent dog too similar to my passed dog. I sometimes have to correct myself even after all these years because I find I call him by my passed dog's name because it is way too similar. So I wont make that mistake in the future. I will always make a new new quite different than any passed pet I had before.

Anyway, just wanted to share the tips I learned and dont feel bad if you already made some of your pet names against these tip rules because we all do it unless we were told before, we had no way to know. Our dogs know we love them and we can get them to come no matter what we call them.

I like joking with my dog and sometimes I will call him a name that isnt even his name to be funny. It gets a good laugh from me and my wife when we do that. LOL

Great post.

I joke with my dog and cats, too.
They are so funny. my Collie is 12 years old. He will be our last dog, sadly. :sad: My old kitty is 16 and my" kitten" is almost 4 years old.

I am very jealous of all of your new fur babies.

Ok, I'm know I'm late to the party, but GEEZE Bernina! I cannot believe you were shown this in the 1st grade! I grew up in the 70s and 80s and thank goodness this was not around. That scene at the end is worse than the bloody car crashes we were shown in Driver's Ed...and we were teenagers!

I'm pretty sure the Highway Patrol produced those too. Those little gems were in my Driver's Ed classes also,

Incredible what some "grown-ups" thought was appropriate for school kids.

well if I did this right, Benji should be my avatar. Fingers crossed :)

YAY it worked, but he should be turned around. Anyway that's my little Benji :)

Benji is so cute and he is even posing for you already. Nice picture.

If you can put the photo in a folder and just right-click on it, there is an option to "Rotate Clockwise". You can just click on that option until it spins around right. Then you can just reset your avatar with it.

Ugh.

Found the movie produced by the Highway Patrol back in the early 60's that was shown in the cafeteria of my grade school when I was in 1st grade. It totally messed me up (and many of my friends as I found out years later). Some of you may have seen it also.
The School nurse who got the movie to show to us was later fired because of it.
It had actual crime scene footage at the end. The problem was, besides being inappropriate for kids, it only talked about "stranger danger". Anyone who was being molested by family or friends didn't realize it applied.
Warning: The last few minutes are disturbing and graphic.

[video=youtube;5NtCd1Asnk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtCd1Asnk0[/video]

Did anyone else have to watch this when they were a kid?

I was lucky my school never forced that one on us at that age. Thats amazing they made you watch it at such a young age. They had good intentions and with just some editing they could have produced an age appropriate video. They also probably should have made the parents watch it on PTA night and had parental signatures if it was ok for their kids to watch it. For kids that were not allowed, they could have had another activity for them. Simple things like that would go a long ways to handling it properly.

Im trying to think back to some of the things that did traumatize me and beside "Frog Dissection Day" in the 6th grade, the one thing that comes to mind is having "Air Raid Drills" for Nuclear Attack. WOW, those were amazing and I recall them vividly.

The long bells would ring and we would all hustle and line up outside in the hall and get in the kneeling crouch position with head facing the lockers and have to put our hands over our heads. It was serious stuff at the time in late 60s and I dont remember any of us giggling or joking about it because the fear of nuclear attack was very real at the time.

I can only remember doing that for a few years and then I think the policy makers learned more about nuclear bombs and realized if there really was a nuclear attack, then putting our hands over our heads would not help very much, so why bother. :)

In our drivers ed class, I dont remember us having to watch any gore films but we did get a visit from the police with a wrecked car that showed us the damage a drunk driver could cause. That had an impact on us and was a good learning experience.

The funnest part of drivers ed for us was Skid-Pad day. They would hose down the parking lot and take us into it about 25 MPH and the teacher would slam the brakes and we would go for a 180. That was a lot of fun and we all looked forward to the 1 day we would get to go to the Skid Pad. They only allowed us to do it once. Nobody ever was sick on that day. 100% attendance that day. :)

Benji is so cute and he is even posing for you already. Nice picture.

If you can put the photo in a folder and just right-click on it, there is an option to "Rotate Clockwise". You can just click on that option until it spins around right. Then you can just reset your avatar with it.

Thanks Hatfield :) It worked!

I was lucky my school never forced that one on us at that age. Thats amazing they made you watch it at such a young age. They had good intentions and with just some editing they could have produced an age appropriate video. They also probably should have made the parents watch it on PTA night and had parental signatures if it was ok for their kids to watch it. For kids that were not allowed, they could have had another activity for them. Simple things like that would go a long ways to handling it properly.

Im trying to think back to some of the things that did traumatize me and beside "Frog Dissection Day" in the 6th grade, the one thing that comes to mind is having "Air Raid Drills" for Nuclear Attack. WOW, those were amazing and I recall them vividly.

The long bells would ring and we would all hustle and line up outside in the hall and get in the kneeling crouch position with head facing the lockers and have to put our hands over our heads. It was serious stuff at the time in late 60s and I dont remember any of us giggling or joking about it because the fear of nuclear attack was very real at the time.

I can only remember doing that for a few years and then I think the policy makers learned more about nuclear bombs and realized if there really was a nuclear attack, then putting our hands over our heads would not help very much, so why bother. :)

In our drivers ed class, I dont remember us having to watch any gore films but we did get a visit from the police with a wrecked car that showed us the damage a drunk driver could cause. That had an impact on us and was a good learning experience.

The funnest part of drivers ed for us was Skid-Pad day. They would hose down the parking lot and take us into it about 25 MPH and the teacher would slam the brakes and we would go for a 180. That was a lot of fun and we all looked forward to the 1 day we would get to go to the Skid Pad. They only allowed us to do it once. Nobody ever was sick on that day. 100% attendance that day. :)

We had air raid drills through my 2nd grade, that's like 1968-69? Arizona didn't get the memo I guess. I remember seeing those ad-like things (social commentary?) about the "Iron Curtain" on TV........wonder if any youngster now days even knows the term? It was one of those awesome moments when I watched the Wall come down in Russia on TV, a lot like this situation with Cuba right now.

Driver's Ed was part classroom with films, written tests, and diagrams, and the rest in the "simulators", the mobile units that had the pretend driver's part of the vehicle and you watched the road on a screen up in the front of the unit. Ok, who am I kidding, it was like a single wide mobile home with steering wheels/driver's seat set ups on either side of a walkway with a movie screen in front and your mistakes were tallied on some contraption when you used the brake or gas pedals. LOL!
The only movie I can name was "Blood on the Asphalt", the rest are kind of lost on me right now.

All these cute pups!!!!! :loveyou:

Good Morning all. CJ, thanks for the funnies. I needed a good laugh.

Spellbound, I always miss Yes/No. She has been so good to us.

I sure wish Iliketobendpages would come back and give us 'today in history' updates. I really enjoyed them.

Gotta get back to the work grind!!!

Have a good day!!!

For you , Kensie

Today is the one hundred and eleventh day of this year, and there are two hundred and fifty four days left of this year.

753 BC - Today is the traditional date of the foundation of Rome.

1865 - Abraham Lincoln's funeral train leaves Washington

1889 - The Oklahoma land rush officially started at noon and thousands of Americans race for new, unclaimed land. (My father's family settled in Kiowa county and my mothers in Seminole. Some where in there I am a tiny bit Creek Indian.)

1910 - " Mark Twain" Samuel Clemens was born just after Halley’s Comet appeared in 1835, and he died of a heart attack one day after it appeared at its brightest in 1910. He said the year before he died that" he came in with Halley’s Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don’t go out with Halley’s Comet. The Almighty has said, no doubt: ‘Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together. "

1955 - Congress orders all U.S. coins to bear the motto "In God We Trust."

1956 - Elvis, the Pelvis. Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" hit the top of the charts at number one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e8jAqvmnsIk

1965 - Ticket To Ride. by The Beatles makes it way to the top of the UK charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c-aDjrYjMPg

1966 - 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs (who were originally called The Troglodytes) was released in the U.S.

[video=youtube;Hce74cEAAaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hce74cEAAaE[/video]

1967 - Svetlana Alliluyeva (Svetlana Stalina) defected in New York City. She was the daughter of Joseph Stalin Svetlana Ailliluyeva daughter defected in New York City, New York.

1969 - Janis Joplin and the Komic Blues Band plays at Royal Albert Hall in London. England.( I would see her play at Texas International Pop Festival in Lewisville Texas two weeks after Woodstock. I still have my ticket.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5If816MhoU&feature=player_detailpage

1972 - Apollo 16 astronauts John Young and Charles Duke cruised the surface of the moon.

1976 - ( The year my baby girl was born) USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR. I didn't show a Youtube because the birth defects are horrendous. There still is more than enough radioactive materiel left over at the site was abandoned to this day. It's there for anyone to take if they chose.

1978 - John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd first appearance as The Blues Brothers , on Saturday Night Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m0zyuc_2UVg

1986 - Geraldo Rivera opened a vault that belonged to Al Capone at the Lexington Hotel in Chicago. Boy was his face red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P84OKTUx6LY

1992 - Robert Alton Harris became the first person executed by the state of California in 25 years. He was put to death for the 1978 murder of two teen-age boys.

AND

2015 - Jodi Arais is still a convicted sentenced to life with out parole, never to be let out for any reason, murderer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W-ZyE4NP95Q

Here is a good one, pointing out the lies.

[video=youtube;Qplv1oLJPFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qplv1oLJPFg#t=151[/video]

OH WOW! That video on the Gorilla Reunion is so sweet! I watched it twice! Thanks!

Bernina I can't wait to see your baby swan!!!!!!!

Grammie is that a border terrier by your name? Love border terriers! :)

What with Jodi Arias, Shayna Hubers, and the other women that are claiming 'self defense' in killing boyfriends and husbands...is this going to be the new trend in murders? I can see all the women dragging the victim through he** and back; as if it is their right to kill and lie! Isn't right!! It just hurts the poor battered women who actually has a real motive for self defense. SHAME on Them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus