Found Deceased MI - Omarion Humphrey, 8, Lake Callis, 4 Jul 2015

Wondering if the foster family is doing what they do for money?? What about bio mom? How much was/is she raking in from the taxpayers for her dozen or so kids? Seems to me, the ultimate care for Mars is his parents responsibility. If they wouldn't or couldn't and the foster family wouldn't or couldn't, then what?

I think sometimes people don't understand what "constant" supervision means, and how exhausting it is. For a special needs child like this one, it means CONSTANT, not the kind of loose supervision you'd give a typical 9 year old at this park. I have a friend who has a child brushed with autism, and around water you had to watch him constantly. Not check on him, WATCH him because he didn't mind having his head underwater obnoxious, and he couldn't swim. As a result he was constantly nearly drowning. We went on a beach vacation with him and his dad - who was otherwise a great dad - didn't get this at all and it involved a couple angry fights between the couple. "Rob, when you watch him at the pool you have to WATCH him!" Rob was treating this child as you would another 4 year old, where you could glance up from a conversation every 30 seconds or so and make sure the child was okay. He'd be halfway to drowning doing that.

Absolutely true. Many families with children with special needs don't do certain activities because the supervision and risk is so great. And, that is what is so concerning about this foster family. They seemed to NOT understand the possible dangers of lax supervision.

I will say that foster parents should not be able to make a decision that is lax when caring for someone else's child. Most of these children are in care based on issues with supervision and care. What are the standards of care in this jurisdiction?

To place a child with special needs into a foster family with so many children seems like an accident waiting to happen. Is there certification to foster parent a child with special needs?

I am leery of assuming anything about the bio family. When families like the Duggars have 19+, there is little assumption that they are "raking" in funds. I see this bio family as victims of a foster parent(s) who failed in their job. Do we know that these kids have been poorly provided for by their bio family?

I have no idea if they received state services or funds beyond what any family might for a child with special needs.

I hope this boy is found safe. If he has met with some bad fate, then, I hope he is returned to his family so they can mourn him sooner rather than later. I can't imagine closing my eyes at night and wondering what has happened to my child.

The kids of bio mom were placed in foster care because she didn't provide adequate housing for them....that's the story that's been told. Not sure we have an official reason why the kids were removed from her care.

The kids of bio mom were placed in foster care because she didn't provide adequate housing for them....that's the story that's been told. Not sure we have an official reason why the kids were removed from her care.

Just out of interest, is it usual for children to be placed in foster care if the parents have inadequate housing ?

Just out of interest, is it usual for children to be placed in foster care if the parents have inadequate housing ?

I don't know...I thought it was usually for abuse or neglect.

I work for Child Protective Services in Texas and from my experience here it isn't super common unless the housing is just extremely unsafe. Typically I see it being much younger children that would be removed due to unsafe home environments rather than older children; however his special needs would play a roll in a decision. At least here the agency would have had to have a significant concern for the children's safety in order for one of our Judges to approve children coming into foster care.

The reason for the children being in foster care should not be be released to the media so I am not sure where that information was coming from anyway and how accurate it is. Often when the family is the one talking to the media they downplay their reason for involvement with the agency. They will say CPS took my kids because I didn't clean the house when really it was being the house had heroin needles lying within reach of a toddler. So I take that information with a grain of salt as there is always 2 sides to the story; however only 1 side is allowed to fully explain their side.

Regardless of why those children came into foster care there is absolutely no excuse for this child going missing. The state took custody of those children and are responsible for ensuring each child is provided appropriate care and supervision. That foster family would have had to have training and signed paperwork stating they understood what was expected of them in caring for this child with special needs. They should have already had every child in their care moved to other foster homes and should be under investigation by their licensing agency.

So sad the search has been called off. I really hope he is safe somewhere but with this world being as nasty as it is I don't hold out much hope :(

Where are you Mars?

I was really hopeful that I'd read today that he's been found. I just feel so bad for him. Where can he be? There's no excuse for this happening. The foster parents should have known he required constant supervision. They failed miserably!

Here in Canada it is fairly commonplace for foster care to be the result of something inadequate about the home - this can be temporary homelessness/couch-surfing, inadequate space for the number of children, lack of running water. Obviously it usually involves a house that isn't safe or hygienic, but I have seen a number of instances where the parent was between homes, kicked out/evicted, or temporarily without adequate space and resources, without friends or family who were willing or able to assist them in the meantime.

I am not saying this is the case - just illustrating that depending on the particular child protection "culture" of the area there is a huge array of situations (from horrifying to understandable) that can lead to foster care.

This may answer some questions about inadequate housing. I have heard of children being removed from their home for that reason. I'm in Virginia.

Child Neglect: Harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare by a parent, legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare that occurs through either of the following:
•Negligent treatment, including the failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, or medical care.
•Placing a child at an unreasonable risk to the child's health or welfare by failure of the parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for the child's health or welfare to intervene to eliminate that risk when that person is able to do so and has, or should have, knowledge of the risk.

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-7119-21208--,00.html

- just illustrating that depending on the particular child protection "culture" of the area there is a huge array of situations (from horrifying to understandable) that can lead to foster care

Snip & BBM

All too true.

It also comes down to the individual caseworker(s) and judge(s).

15-20 years ago during visitation/custody battle over my son, his father's new wife thought the best punishment for 3-5 year old boys for spilling a drink in her car was to make them have to ride in the dog box on the back of the father's truck. Concerned motorist were calling LE by the dozens regarding 2 small children riding in a dog box. CPS was contacted and the caseworker found the children to be in no danger. Reports still came in months/years later and CPS reopened it. Of course I didn't find out about it until CPS "investigated" the second time, which happened to be during the school year when my son was with me the majority of the time, and not visiting his father as often. Again CPS blew it off, I blew up and took ex to court seeking termination of joint custody and father be given supervised visitation. My lawyer argued the danger of the children being confined inside of the small box hanging off the bed of a pickup truck. Well the judge too blew it off calling it a "rite of passage" for young boys to "climb inside and ride in a doggie box". Judge stated while it may have been illegal in most parts of the state for children under a certain age (I think it was 12 at the time.) to ride in the back of pickup truck, this was "out in the country" and there was "no harm" and "not something needed enforced."

Still rolling my eyes over that one.

However, 15-20 years later that single report being on file has resulted in the ex's latest honey for the moment having her young children removed and placed in foster care pending investigations and completion of parenting classes for the ex before the kids can return.

Also some years back I remember a family in neighboring (even more rural) county that lost their home and one of the parents had been seriously injured due to fire. Naturally in the winter when housing especially affordable when you've lost everything wasn't as plentiful and waiting list for government housing was LONG. The family had been staying at a small motel for about 2-3 months when CPS went ballistic deeming it an unsafe environment for the children because of the "in and out traffic" near the play area. The community raised funds to put them up in an CPS approved apartment with a "safer" play area for about 6 months. Not even a month at the apartment one of the children was ran over while exiting that "safer" play area.

While I agree motels aren't ideal, the logic behind a small family owned and oriented motel with a total of 10 rooms being more of a traffic danger to children than a large apartment complex with 120 units baffles me.

Here in Canada it is fairly commonplace for foster care to be the result of something inadequate about the home - this can be temporary homelessness/couch-surfing, inadequate space for the number of children, lack of running water. Obviously it usually involves a house that isn't safe or hygienic, but I have seen a number of instances where the parent was between homes, kicked out/evicted, or temporarily without adequate space and resources, without friends or family who were willing or able to assist them in the meantime.

I am not saying this is the case - just illustrating that depending on the particular child protection "culture" of the area there is a huge array of situations (from horrifying to understandable) that can lead to foster care.

Great Post! I believe this may be true here as well. I'm very familiar with that area of Michigan. Also The areas where the parents and foster parents neither are good. Child Protective System here overwhelmed.

I want Mars found. Terrible set of circumstances. ����

Still no sign of Omarian going into the 6th night. The police are saying that they are no longer going to freely share information with the public because it would hinder their investigation. They also told people to send their tips to police before sharing them on social media. Some people have been putting out false information For example, a neighbor girl of a handicapped black boy had someone take a photo of her with her arm around the boy, saying that she had found Omarion and asking where her reward money was. She put the photo on the Internet. She had told the handicapped boy that she would share the money with him if she could take a picture with him. Understandably, the family of the boy who was used in this was upset and so were police who have to deal with stuff like this. Police no longer believe that Omarion is in the woods or park but said he could be somewhere nearby. I fear that someone might have seen him wandering around and picked him up in a car. The foster family is under investigation. We're still no closer to finding Omarion. The lake and park will reopen tomorrow. The Flint Journal had some good articles about the case today.

Jan, thanks again and again for keeping Mars' story up to date here. Your insight and sharing of what you're hearing and reading has been very important to keeping interest here IMO.

ETA: and to the other locals and everyone here. Oftentimes, a situation like this doesn't get the same attention as some others so it is again wonderful that you're here.

Now, Mars, it's been 6 days...

Where is little Mars? Thinking of this sweet child and praying for the best outcome!

Still no sign of Omarian going into the 6th night. The police are saying that they are no longer going to freely share information with the public because it would hinder their investigation. They also told people to send their tips to police before sharing them on social media. Some people have been putting out false information For example, a neighbor girl of a handicapped black boy had someone take a photo of her with her arm around the boy, saying that she had found Omarion and asking where her reward money was. She put the photo on the Internet. She had told the handicapped boy that she would share the money with him if she could take a picture with him. Understandably, the family of the boy who was used in this was upset and so were police who have to deal with stuff like this. Police no longer believe that Omarion is in the woods or park but said he could be somewhere nearby. I fear that someone might have seen him wandering around and picked him up in a car. The foster family is under investigation. We're still no closer to finding Omarion. The lake and park will reopen tomorrow. The Flint Journal had some good articles about the case today.

About the woman looking for reward money-- that is SO awful and SO low!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Dang--- something really big just hit me. Anyone who knows my posts knows that I always look at how many strange things had to happen at the same time to make it possible. The more unusual circumstances at the same time, the less likely (for example- a child who escapes a house unnoticed- yes. A child who is abducted- yes. A child who escapes a house unnoticed and then gets abducted- probably not). SO--- I kept thinking how strange that he was unattended so much that they had to reprimand the parents multiple times and then he goes missing and not found as wandering yet. What if this was set up!!!!!!!!!! what if there is a reason the fosters were not watching. After 1 or 2 or 3 times the park calls it to their attention and they refuse to leave--- all of that is weird! What if they had it set up that they would not be watching and he would be "taken". And the park kept interefering. And the "taker" was *late*. Ooooh, I hope thats not true, but it just made me sit up when it popped into my brain. Maybe I am repeating someone else's thoughts tht I didnt see yet. If so, I apologize! :)

Motives to do so- money, dont want to care for him anymore but dont want to give up his siblings, ???

This is not an accusation, only a possibility to think about in our quest for sweet Mars. The way to figure that out---- check the call logs / texts of the fosters big time!!!

http://www.wnem.com/story/29477403/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-mid-michigan-child#ixzz3fQJ9IyBJ Article with new information updated today. They had 70 to 80 blood hounds searching for Omarion during the big sweep day. It's pretty certain that he isn't in or close to the lake or park. The foster family had 20 to 30 family members at their picnic in the park when Omarion went missing according to police. That many people and nobody could be bothered to watch the boy?! Keep in mind that this isn't a very big park. There is a bigger park behind it and woods and fields around it but the park is quite small and the lake is small. Something just doesn't add up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back