IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't some of or most of the dogs sent to a different location because of that "hoax" phone call? Would they send the dogs they thought would have the best chance to this location?

All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one.

Sure sure that isn't always the correct solution but in this case as Montjoy said when you have 49 dogs and not a single one seems to find this trio I don't need to perform mental gymnastics to explain why 49 dogs and their handlers screwed up so badly they couldn't find any discernible trail from three people who were there an hour before on a nice summer day.

I think this is exaggeration. They did not have 49 dogs there within one hour. JMO

I'm a hunnert tin percint sure that MY dog stinks....he just took a dip in the river. JMO

If this was a murder and the murderer had a justified reason for being at the crime scene immediately after, if the dogs picked up on the scent, trail, track, then it would be discounted. Right?

I think you need to realize that different dogs that work with LE are trained to follow different things.

Some are for drugs, cadavers, or suspect or missing persons. But they need a scent given to them to know what they are looking for.

Besides providing a sample scent. How would the canine know what they are tracking for when pertaining to unknown suspects.

The only canines that don't need scents are the dogs that handles drugs, cadavers, bombs, and electrical devices.

But a dog that is used to track a suspect or missing persons will obviously need a sample of who they are tracking.

Yes and No.

It is true that dogs are trained specifically for their speciality. There are some handlers who cross-train their K-9's with various certifications but you will find a lot of opinions pro VS con on this topic.

Dogs use their scents but in various ways. And you are incorrect as HRD aka Cadavers ABSOLUTEY use scent!!

Tracking Dogs do not need a scent article. They track based on ground disturbance. It's a really interesting science. They are typically the first dogs that should be sent out into the field in this situation, IMO.

Trailing Dogs use specific scents articles and are further utilized in this situation based on a path a tracking dog may be following if there is a scent discovery.

Air Scent Dogs rely on human scent in the air. They typically will find a scent and follow it to it's inception and alert. Therefore, eliminating non-related persons from a scene etc...

Does this make sense?

If this was a murder and the murderer had a justified reason for being at the crime scene immediately after, if the dogs picked up on the scent, trail, track, then it would be discounted. Right?

I see where you are going with that thought, and I agree that if this were a homicide, a person justifiably investigating the scene, whose scent was followed, would be discounted. JMO

Wasn't that animal from the Volo search and not tbe search within the two mile perimeter surrounding the old cement plant? I coukd be wrong but I think I remember tbat from the volo search.
You could be correct. I would have to look it up. I just remembered the newscast.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Fox-Lake-Officers-Son-Addresses-Suicide-Rumors-327861131.html

The article dated the 16th was posted already.
Basically, the info is that LE is still waiting on results from forensic testing to come back.

The comment section is usually interesting imo.

o/t ~ What can WE do to help the young woman, Melissa C., who
was falsely convicted of causing the death of a little boy, get justice?
As of August 11, 2015, she's still incarcerated.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/08...d-center-in-lake-county-states-attorney-race/

The Road to Accreditation dated July 23, 2014.
Lake County Sheriff signed a contract to receive Accreditation through CALEA.
"CALEA is the process of voluntarily complying with a set of professional standards dealing with policies and procedures.
CALEA is based on established professional policing practices.
There are several benefits of becoming and maintaining Accreditation through CALEA. Some of the benefits include: . . ."

http://patch.com/illinois/libertyville/the-road-to-accreditation

Lake County has white and black reserve deputy sheriffs.
scroll down for pics and further links.

http://www.reservedeputy.com/

Just pointing this out because people have posted there are few black people around Fox Lake. These people work for Lake County though, not specifically within Fox Lake afaik.

Wow, I just read the conviction of Mario Casciaro - grocery store killing in Johnsburg - has been reversed.
The Tribune wouldn't let me read the article - wants me to subscribe first. Maybe this just happened because other articles aren't coming up. If true, maybe the family doesn't want the attention (negative attention) right now.
This is wonderful news as the case is clearly skewed imo.

Politics are good for something sometimes, I guess.

DNA belonging to someone other than Gliniewicz was found on his gun, which was recovered at the crime scene, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.

http://wqad.com/2015/09/16/former-c...-not-homicide-killed-illinois-police-officer/

Investigators recovered one shell casing near Gliniewicz's body, police said.

Authorities searched rugged terrain and brought in helicopters, dogs, federal agents, night-vision equipment and body-heat sensors. Police cleared every home in the cordoned-off area and fielded more than 100 tips, Filenko said.

bbm

Yes, Mario Casciaro's conviction has been thrown out.
Just reported on abc news on TheU.

The body of victim, Brian Carrick, has never been found.

Adding - the case above relates to this thread because both cases concern Lake County, IL.

I finally read through all the posts on this thread. No matter the outcome, it sure is sad all the way around.Horrible if there is a killer on the loose, and horrible if he took his own life :-(

DNA belonging to someone other than Gliniewicz was found on his gun, which was recovered at the crime scene, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.

http://wqad.com/2015/09/16/former-c...-not-homicide-killed-illinois-police-officer/

Authorities searched rugged terrain and brought in helicopters, dogs, federal agents, night-vision equipment and body-heat sensors. Police cleared every home in the cordoned-off area and fielded more than 100 tips, Filenko said.

bbm

Hmmm...what would someone's DNA be doing on his gun? I would imagine that he wouldn't let anyone touch his gun. I wouldn't imagine he would plant someone's DNA on it because that could implicate someone. It was no one at the crime scene. I would imagine they know it isn't a blood relative. I would think they would perhaps rule out his wife? No one touches a cops sidearm. Hmmm....

Police armorer but there would be a record of when the gun was checked or repaired.

I finally read through all the posts on this thread. No matter the outcome, it sure is sad all the way around.Horrible if there is a killer on the loose, and horrible if he took his own life :-(
Actually I think it would be more horrible if his death was erroneously ruled a suicide if it wasn't. It would be unfortunate if it was the other way round but not near as bad at least in my book.

bbm

They will have to test this DNA against the first responders. While it is protocol to secure a crime scene, you have to wonder with possible life saving measures being taken; was the gun somehow handled and therefore contaminated with secondary DNA. This would not be the first time if this is the case. They are likely checking this and perhaps could be part of the hold up as they would have to eliminate these people as well as run through CODIS looking for offender matches. If both avenues come up empty, they may extend their testing to other parties who could have come in contact with LT. G gun though I find this unlikely as most LE do not allow others to touch their service weapons. I go to the range sometimes with a friend who is a FBI Agent and he has shot my guns before but I have never touched his. But we wouldn't know, purely speculative at this point but I am certain something that would be or is being explored. If all else comes up empty, then they have in possession the likely DNA of an unidentified offender who shot Lt. G. Coming up empty in the national databanks has always been a waiting game but in todays day and age with DNA Genealogy tracing, there are move avenues to pursue but again very time consuming.

EDIT TO ADD: Paramedics would likely be gloved upon entering the location. So, more likely responding officers. Just a thought.

They will have to test this DNA against the first responders. While it is protocol to secure a crime scene, you have to wonder with possible life saving measures being taken; was the gun somehow handled and therefore contaminated with secondary DNA. This would not be the first time if this is the case. They are likely checking this and perhaps could be part of the hold up as they would have to eliminate these people as well as run through CODIS looking for offender matches. If both avenues come up empty, they may extend their testing to other parties who could have come in contact with LT. G gun though I find this unlikely as most LE do not allow others to touch their service weapons. I go to the range sometimes with a friend who is a FBI Agent and he has shot my guns before but I have never touched his. But we wouldn't know, purely speculative at this point but I am certain something that would be or is being explored. If all else comes up empty, then they have in possession the likely DNA of an unidentified offender who shot Lt. G. Coming up empty in the national databanks has always been a waiting game but in todays day and age with DNA Genealogy tracing, there are move avenues to pursue but again very time consuming.

EDIT TO ADD: Paramedics would likely be gloved upon entering the location. So, more likely responding officers. Just a thought.
My best guess is that an LEO left the DNA on Lt. G's sidearm when he secured it at the scene. It's also possible that (if this was a homicide) that it belongs to the shooter. But why would they a shooter leave behind the weapon?

Personally, if I was responsible for someone's death the last thing I would want to carry around with me was something that belonged to the victim. As far as Dna is concerned if I knew mine wasn't in any database I think I'd definately not take the gun.

Cui Bono? How does the task force benefit if this is ruled murder?
Who would benefit if it was ruled suicide?
The battle between Rudd and Flienko is interesting at least to me.
Joey battalia is interesting too.
Kristin K. Is interesting.
The whole thing is interesting.

Joey Battaglia may be even more interesting if what I just read is true (all rumor and back talk afaik) on some blog.

If anyone cares to google -
Fraternal Order of Police Chicago Lodge #7 - December 18, 2013
(true news usa. blog spot)

There are some x rated accusations about one JB (can't prove THE same one but timing seems right) therein - also about Chicago politics and the attitudes of some LE at the time.

adding - Because the comments about JB date back to 2013,
they are especially intriguing imo. But, very dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get