IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best guess is that an LEO left the DNA on Lt. G's sidearm when he secured it at the scene. It's also possible that (if this was a homicide) that it belongs to the shooter. But why would they a shooter leave behind the weapon?

Maybe someone who never planned on killing someone that day? Maybe someone immature, unsophisticated, young?

Joey Battaglia may be even more interesting if what I just read is true (all rumor and back talk afaik) on some blog.

If anyone cares to google -
Fraternal Order of Police Chicago Lodge #7 - December 18, 2013
(true news usa. blog spot)

There are some x rated accusations about one JB (can't prove THE same one but timing seems right) therein - also about Chicago politics and the attitudes of some LE at the time.

adding - Because the comments about JB date back to 2013,
they are especially intriguing imo. But, very dark.

OMG how do you follow any of that??? It sounds like a bunch of grade schoolers sniping at each other. Not sure what I should gather about that whole thing???

OMG how do you follow any of that??? It sounds like a bunch of grade schoolers sniping at each other. Not sure what I should gather about that whole thing???

I know, I was thinking, is this the intelligence level of cops in Chicago? Everyone posts as anon too but I bet most of them are real (sorry to say).

I know, I was thinking, is this the intelligence level of cops in Chicago? Everyone posts as anon too but I bet most of them are real (sorry to say).
I am just going to pretend that they were all a bunch of bored teenagers playing foul mouthed cop on the internet, because otherwise...I just can't. :(

DNA on the gun doesn't really get me excited as evidence in any case because of how easily it is transferred to objects.

I know people are saying LEO never let anybody touch their guns but even if true they still didn't operate that gun in a sterile environment.

They themselves touched many things and then touched their guns. They also placed that gun onto counters, into drawers, into holsters touched by others, they wiped it with rags touched by others, allowed others to sneeze near it.

The DNA would need to be significant enough to discount transfer or combined with some other piece of evidence such as a partial print.

It is possible, though not always, to determine the source of the DNA (skin, semen, blood) though even that can't rule out a murder because a murderer can sneeze while killing you.

That is why DNA alone is not the smoking gun in criminal cases unless it is somewhere it otherwise would never be or is in conjunction with another piece of evidence.

I am just going to pretend that they were all a bunch of bored teenagers playing foul mouthed cop on the internet, because otherwise...I just can't. :(

Before and besides the trip into verbal weirdness, I was surprised to see a JB being discussed (back in 2013) as being someone who desired to take over the position at the Lodge. Is the Fraternal Order a real organization/group?

Going up against the status quo is truly a difficult undertaking in Chicago government. My late nana worked for City Hall for over thirty years.
My grandpa did too but died too early from lung cancer (my mother quit smoking soon afterward stating how hard it had been to watch the process). I was very young so was shielded even though we were close. He was the kind of person who treated a little kid as an independent person iykwim. Such a loss for me!

I see where you are going with that thought, and I agree that if this were a homicide, a person justifiably investigating the scene, whose scent was followed, would be discounted. JMO

I've had this thought in my head all day, especially after looking at the timeline again and again.

DNA belonging to someone other than Gliniewicz was found on his gun, which was recovered at the crime scene, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.

http://wqad.com/2015/09/16/former-c...-not-homicide-killed-illinois-police-officer/

Investigators recovered one shell casing near Gliniewicz's body, police said.

Authorities searched rugged terrain and brought in helicopters, dogs, federal agents, night-vision equipment and body-heat sensors. Police cleared every home in the cordoned-off area and fielded more than 100 tips, Filenko said.

bbm

If you remove information not provided by a named source there is no new information. The information provided by unnamed sources is something to be taken with a grain of salt. Add it to the maybe list.

I've been trying to rationalize this whole suicide aspect. one thing that doesn't make sense is that one report said 2 shell casings were found. 1 near the body and 1 that was 100 feet away. does this mean he shot himself in the vest, then walked aprox 100 feet, then shot himself again in the torso?

another thing, is that if this was a suicide, it was somewhat thought out. wouldn't he know that the longer it took to find his body, the more likely the 3 men would have a chance to flee the area, giving the story more credibility. so why would he direct first responders to his location. why not just stop communication after the first call. dispatch wouldn't even ask for status for ???how long?20-30 minutes? then they'd send a unit to check on him. It could take hours to find him if they didn't know where to go from his parked squad.

He was also part of the K-9 unit years ago,and knew what these dogs are capable of. wouldn't he have taken that into cosideration if he was really planning this out?

I've been trying to rationalize this whole suicide aspect. one thing that doesn't make sense is that one report said 2 shell casings were found. 1 near the body and 1 that was 100 feet away. does this mean he shot himself in the vest, then walked aprox 100 feet, then shot himself again in the torso?

another thing, is that if this was a suicide, it was somewhat thought out. wouldn't he know that the longer it took to find his body, the more likely the 3 men would have a chance to flee the area, giving the story more credibility. so why would he direct first responders to his location. why not just stop communication after the first call. dispatch wouldn't even ask for status for ???how long?20-30 minutes? then they'd send a unit to check on him. It could take hours to find him if they didn't know where to go from his parked squad.

He was also part of the K-9 unit years ago,and knew what these dogs are capable of. wouldn't he have taken that into consideration if he was really planning this out?

The biggest problem I am having with the suicide theory is him, quite honestly. Yes, I know, you never know what goes on inside someone's head, but he is honestly the picture of the last person on earth I would expect this from, based on everything we know about him and what the community knows about him.

FYI-FWIW - I saw somewhere on his FB that he was at what seemed to be a Catholic church. Catholics are taught that suicide means a direct trip to hell. I know everyone doesn't follow the church's teachings by the letter, but that is a big and final one. I know that even if I were completely at my wits' end, that I would never commit suicide for that specific reason. (of course there are plenty of other reasons as well, like my family, my kids, etc...) But going to hell scares the crud out of me! Seriously!

He was also part of the K-9 unit years ago,and knew what these dogs are capable of. wouldn't he have taken that into cosideration if he was really planning this out?

We have no proof he shot the vest at that location, nor if he was wearing the vest when it was first shot.

He could have shot the gun into the woods. He could have had an old spare casing he threw. The casing could have moved.from responders. He could shot, moved, shot again.

Slightly confused. Why if this was suicide would the three men be relevant and why he want or not want them to get away?

I am completely confused with what you are saying there.

As for why he radioed in: my theory is he wanted to be found by coworkers and not strangers.

I don't know how in a million years he would have thought they would have over reacted with such a manhunt.

I think that radioing in as he did was the best way he could establish death by homicide rather than suicide, in that he would be forwarding a narrative in which he was actively pursuing multiple subjects, putting himself at risk. He would have had a lot of money (in terms of insurance) on the line with presenting his death as in the line of duty.

Anyone know if the family is catholic?

It appears as though he had his father's funeral at a Catholic church...but I honestly don't see a lot of religious references in his posts, so not sure how practicing he was.

However, in looking at his FB, I wonder if his activity may have cost him the job in Antioch. He was quite outspoken about some of his political views.

It appears as though he had his father's funeral at a Catholic church...but I honestly don't see a lot of religious references in his posts, so not sure how practicing he was.

However, in looking at his FB, I wonder if his activity may have cost him the job in Antioch. He was quite outspoken about some of his political views.
Can you elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member