Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had some sort of connection to the midwest, as I recall.

At the time, it seemed like the WY victim, Jessica Ridgway, and Elizabeth and Lyric had to be connected, the way they all happened at the same time. When JR turned out not to be connected, I dismissed the other connection too.

He had lived in Kansas and traveled a lot, did photography. Unfortunately all of his online stuff has been pulled so I don't know how to find out if he'd spent any time in Iowa or if that was ever explored. Is there a way to find out where he is spending his sentence? I didn't see it in the articles I've read.

I'd also like to point out, that Jesse Speer dropped the girl off between 20-24 miles from town.

He was from Montana and from what I understand had no direct connection to this area (ie. never lived, worked or spent extensive time there).

The 20 mile thing.....

ETA: I can't be sure on how many miles up Carter Mountain Access road he dropped her but IIRC there was snow on the ground in Cody which means there was probably much more on the mountain. It was October 8 and for reference there was snow on Carter Mountain this past Monday.

I recently reread the WY case where Jesse Paul Speer was arrested for kidnapping & sexually assaulting an 11 y/o girl. He drove a white Toyota 4Runner. He pleaded guilty and is sentenced to LWOP.

When Lyric & Elizabeth were found deceased I kind of put him out of my mind b/c he let the girl in WY go. But do we know if he was ever ruled out or questioned for any other cases? Lyric & Elizabeth were mentioned a few times on that thread but I don't remember ever seeing where he had been ruled out, or even pinpointed in a different state when they went missing.

The WY girl was kidnapped 10/8/13 (before Lyric & Elizabeth were found) then taken to Carter Mountain and left to die but was picked up by hunters on their way down the mountain, she would have likely died from hypothermia if it wasn't for the hunters.

What if he dumped Lyric & Elizabeth alive? I wonder if COD was unable to be determined? What if they weren't dumped at 7 bridges? What if they were dropped off upstream and followed the river down to where they eventually died & were found?

It seems like with no information released it might be time to start thinking outside the box.

It happened on Oct 8 2012. LE suspected that JPSpeer was trolling the streets for the right victim when he spotted the group of three young girls. He did not know them and was not from that town. He tried to entice the girls by using a ruse of a missing dog but only succeeded in getting one into his truck. The other girls took off. Apparently the three didn't bother him so he could have easily taken our two girls.

It was reported that there were a lot of pictures in his truck. He liked to photograph nature and traveled throughout the west camping and taking pictures and even had an online web site showing and selling the pictures. Seems like I remember some pictures of bridges.

I guess his hidden passion though was photographs of girls, many of them unclothed. At the time, it was unknown whether he took these type of pictures or downloaded them. As far as I know, nothing has ever come out about any further investigation into these type of pictures. It's almost as if once a suspect is arrested, convicted and sentenced for the crime, the case is closed - it's over.

http://www.powelltribune.com/news/i...s-life-for-2012-kidnapping-and-sexual-assault

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-187167.html

He had lived in Kansas and traveled a lot, did photography. Unfortunately all of his online stuff has been pulled so I don't know how to find out if he'd spent any time in Iowa or if that was ever explored. Is there a way to find out where he is spending his sentence? I didn't see it in the articles I've read.

I would assume he's in the Wyoming state prison. I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be.

Some of his photography was spectacular.

I recently reread the WY case where Jesse Paul Speer was arrested for kidnapping & sexually assaulting an 11 y/o girl. He drove a white Toyota 4Runner. He pleaded guilty and is sentenced to LWOP.

When Lyric & Elizabeth were found deceased I kind of put him out of my mind b/c he let the girl in WY go. But do we know if he was ever ruled out or questioned for any other cases? Lyric & Elizabeth were mentioned a few times on that thread but I don't remember ever seeing where he had been ruled out, or even pinpointed in a different state when they went missing.

The WY girl was kidnapped 10/8/13 (before Lyric & Elizabeth were found) then taken to Carter Mountain and left to die but was picked up by hunters on their way down the mountain, she would have likely died from hypothermia if it wasn't for the hunters.

What if he dumped Lyric & Elizabeth alive? I wonder if COD was unable to be determined? What if they weren't dumped at 7 bridges? What if they were dropped off upstream and followed the river down to where they eventually died & were found?

It seems like with no information released it might be time to start thinking outside the box.

When I think of the girls and COD I compare it to the case of Brenda White in 1969 . Her COD could not be determined either.. Guessing that they can not tell. Brenda was a tiny girl like Elizabeth.

When I think of the girls and COD I compare it to the case of Brenda White in 1969 . Her COD could not be determined either.. Guessing that they can not tell. Brenda was a tiny girl like Elizabeth.

I found an article about a Brenda White (age 6) who was abducted and killed in 1967. It's such a sad story (also haunting music in the video attached) involving two girls taken less than a month apart. Judith Elwell (age 5) was the first one taken. No one has been arrested in either case. Could this be the Brenda you are talking about?

http://newsok.com/article/3866922

I'm kind of stuck on Jesse Speer at this point, is there anything we know about him/the girls that would make it unlikely that he was the perp?

He pleaded guilty to his charges in the WY case and received LWOP. Which makes me wonder if he was worried that they'd add more charges.

I think it will be someone just like the killer of Jodi Parrack. Someone that is right near by, has no previous sexual criminal history and has unfortunately never been on the radar of LE. I believe they have DNA taken from the girls and that's what has excluded Klunder (although its really hard to move past him!) and that DNA is not in any database. I hope I'm wrong, because unless the person gets caught for an offense that he would have to submit DNA for, I don't see this ending anytime soon. Here's a link to who killed Jodi Parrack. http://m.wsbt.com/news/news-conference-this-afternoon-regarding-jodi-parrack-cold-case/35201600

I think it will be someone just like the killer of Jodi Parrack. Someone that is right near by, has no previous sexual criminal history and has unfortunately never been on the radar of LE. I believe they have DNA taken from the girls and that's what has excluded Klunder (although its really hard to move past him!) and that DNA is not in any database. I hope I'm wrong, because unless the person gets caught for an offense that he would have to submit DNA for, I don't see this ending anytime soon. Here's a link to who killed Jodi Parrack. http://m.wsbt.com/news/news-conference-this-afternoon-regarding-jodi-parrack-cold-case/35201600

Thank you! I'm so happy for Jodi Parrack's family. A long time coming, but it finally got here. I feel like the DNA of the killer is not in the system yet either. I'm praying so hard that there is DNA because I feel like that will be the key.

Klunder ~ I keep thinking how elated he might have been if he had been the perp in Lizzy and Lyric's case and just couldn't control himself when he saw Kathleen and her friend. I'm so glad the girl had moxie and escaped his evil clutches. RIP Kathlynn! :heartbeat:

From the link, rbbm.

If LE think the perp may have altered his/her ( male and female?) appearance or car, maybe they also think perp was spotted by somebody, knowingly or not, imo.

"Following the disappearance, the suspect may have altered his or her physical appearance, such as changing hair style and facial hair. The offender’s vehicle may also have been altered with a new paint job or re-upholstery."

I'm not so sure it was DNA that cleared Klunder. I would have thought the DNA testing was on a very fast track but it took such a long time to exclude him. Maybe they could not place him in or near Evansdale at the time the girls were taken. Also, his vehicle was red and they were looking at a white truck.

I certainly hope something more conclusive than color of vehicle and unable to place him in the area.

I really doubt they excluded him because maybe a vehicle color especially since we don't really know the white vehicle was even involved. They have something-either DNA or proving that he couldn't have been in the area. At least, that is what I believe since they so firmly ruled him out. I actually think they have DNA evidence of some sort.

Think about the girls quite frequently. I hope something breaks open soon.

I can't believe they haven't found who did this. R.I.P. Little Angels. So sad.

Guys, I have not been able to get on the computer much due to a busted right wrist. As always, the girls are on my mind and I hope to be able to rejoin the discussion soon.

Guys, I have not been able to get on the computer much due to a busted right wrist. As always, the girls are on my mind and I hope to be able to rejoin the discussion soon.

Oh my!
Prayers that you heal quickly!
Take care.

Not so much on topic, but Evansdale was awarded a REAP grant for improvements at Meyers Lake and Angels Park.

http://kiow.com/2015/10/17/north-iowa-outdoors-reap-city-parks-and-open-spaces-grants-approved/

"•Evansdale, Meyers Lake Shoreline Rehabilitation, $75,000 – The project includes: removal of large stones, tree trunks, branches and overgrowth along the shoreline of Meyers Lake; replacement of the revetment at a shallower grade and adding choke stone to prevent erosion; seeding and fertilizing the reclaimed park space to improve access to Meyers Lake; construction of a retaining wall around the Angels Park Bridge."

Nice to see. I wonder about cameras being installed around the lake area/bike trail now... I suppose that would be voted for at the local level. Maybe more businesses have installed cameras and more homeowners.

What Meyers Lake look like now? Have they pretty much clear cut everything so that the entire lake is visible?

"•Evansdale, Meyers Lake Shoreline Rehabilitation, $75,000 – The project includes: removal of large stones, tree trunks, branches and overgrowth along the shoreline of Meyers Lake; replacement of the revetment at a shallower grade and adding choke stone to prevent erosion; seeding and fertilizing the reclaimed park space to improve access to Meyers Lake; construction of a retaining wall around the Angels Park Bridge."

Nice to see. I wonder about cameras being installed around the lake area/bike trail now... I suppose that would be voted for at the local level. Maybe more businesses have installed cameras and more homeowners.

What Meyers Lake look like now? Have they pretty much clear cut everything so that the entire lake is visible?

I drove by the lake on I-380 on our way to the UNI Homecoming events this weekend. I do have to say - from the interstate the lake and the trails look really nice. Granted I'm only seeing it from the "backside" of the lake (the side closest to where the girls went missing).
There are fountains that spray in the pond, the trail was MUCH more wide open on the back side...I could see almost all the way to the gate. The the only thing blocking my view were the trees close to the interstate.
The gazebos look really welcoming and there were TONS of people out walking - lots of kids riding bikes during their parents evening walks. It really looks nice from the quick little glimpse I got of it in my 70 mph drive by. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs