Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often thought that. Have they ever done isotope tests on Woodlawn Jane Doe?

Just FYI - the wikipedia article seems to give a good summary with details that tend to get left out of various sources (such as the possible Tennessee connection).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Doe

Such a sad case.

I wonder if the WSR had something to do with road directions? Like: "West State Route" or something similar? Maybe she was hitchhiking and wrote down the directions somebody gave her on her hand. The different combinations of the actual numbers (one being either 4 or 5 and the other 4 or 7) would be WSR 44, WSR 54, WSR 47, WSR 57.

I was going out on a limb by transcribing the letters into numbers. i.e. W=23, S=19, R=18 (number of letter in the alphabet). Thinking if somebody was desperate to code a phone number, they could replace some of the numbers with letters, but I know that's farfetched.

Tried to search "WSR France," "WSR Germany," etc., to see if any foreign results come up...

Anyway, keep sleuthing. It's not too late to solve this and find justice for this poor momma and baby.

Not sure what (school?) WSR stands for, but they seem to compete with other schools in Tennessee, fwiw.
http://volunteer.hck12.net/?PageName='Calendar'

Hmm, not sure myself but in looking at the schedule, it seems that this school is otherwise known as the "Volunteer High School," and they're located at:

Volunteer High School
1050 Volunteer Blvd
Church Hill, Tennessee 37642

Not sure if anybody on here uses Classmates.com (I don't), or can access yearbook pictures from different schools/states. This girl (from the reconstructions) looked not much older than her junior year of high school, and likely attended school in TN. I agree with others who mentioned the possibility that Beth Doe was a "base baby." There is so much about this case that is just plain weird. I believe that Carl's reconstructions to be more accurate than the NCMEC's (I base this particularly on his amazing recon of Caledonia Jane Doe, a.k.a. Tammy Jo Alexander, which was a dead ringer). In looking at that image of Beth, and knowing what we do about her height, it is possible that she was even native to Ireland, or, she is an American citizen of Irish ancestry (the Irish tend to be rather short in stature). His recon looks way different from others done thru the years - she looks less "ethnic," I would say. I could see that face just about anywhere in the States and not look twice. She could've indeed come from a Western European country, or been an American who spent a considerable amount of her childhood over there. Basically, it's strange, but I don't really think that appearance-wise there was much that was memorable about her (other than her pregnancy). This was probably an ordinary-looking short, brunette girl with what are described as dental problems and maybe a couple moles on her face, who may have spoken with an accent, or might not have. If her nose looked distinctive, that might be why it was cut off.

Just FYI - the wikipedia article seems to give a good summary with details that tend to get left out of various sources (such as the possible Tennessee connection).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Doe

Such a sad case.

I wonder if the WSR had something to do with road directions? Like: "West State Route" or something similar? Maybe she was hitchhiking and wrote down the directions somebody gave her on her hand. The different combinations of the actual numbers (one being either 4 or 5 and the other 4 or 7) would be WSR 44, WSR 54, WSR 47, WSR 57.

I was going out on a limb by transcribing the letters into numbers. i.e. W=23, S=19, R=18 (number of letter in the alphabet). Thinking if somebody was desperate to code a phone number, they could replace some of the numbers with letters, but I know that's farfetched.

Tried to search "WSR France," "WSR Germany," etc., to see if any foreign results come up...

Anyway, keep sleuthing. It's not too late to solve this and find justice for this poor momma and baby.

In the beginning of my interest in Beth's case I played around a lot with the notion that WSR was some sort of directions. I tried West State Road 4547, even though there were only two numbers written on her hand, and came up with Rockport PA which is a small town not far from White Haven PA. I went there not really knowing what I was looking for. Another dead end, but I have always felt that the killer was familiar with the whole area there.

https://www.nps.gov/obed/planyourvisit/upload/hog-hunting-guide-Obed-2014.pdf

WSR. Wild Scenic River park in Tennessee. Hog hunting? Butchering meat?

Could she have been staying in that park?
Was she from near there?
Was she trying to say she was killed there?
Was she trying to say that's the last place she was?
Was this just written on her hand because the park and a certain lot number was her destination?
Is the number a campsite number or lot number at this park?
Did they have long term campsites there?

Just a thought. I'm still thinking the numbers may have been the beginnings of a phone number or license plate. But I think this park is worth a closer look. Just don't have time right now if anyone cares to look into it further.

Another thought, although they said she lived in Europe in early life, how are they concluding she is European? If she was in a military family and home was really Tennessee, could be Native American? There are areas of Tennessee with Native American roots.

All good questions but thinking she was probably not killed in Tennessee. I forget now how long they said she would have been killed till the time her body was found but I don't think it would match how long it would take to drive from Tennessee to PA.

On topic of the NY Times article the title of the article was called "On The Track of The Unwed Father" . I am sure it's a red herring but it made me wonder if maybe the killer in anger ever referred her to that of a dog. Also wondered if this person abused animals.

All good questions but thinking she was probably not killed in Tennessee. I forget now how long they said she would have been killed till the time her body was found but I don't think it would match how long it would take to drive from Tennessee to PA.

On topic of the NY Times article the title of the article was called "On The Track of The Unwed Father" . I am sure it's a red herring but it made me wonder if maybe the killer in anger ever referred her to that of a dog. Also wondered if this person abused animals.

It's pretty much directly up I-81. Google estimates around 15 hours from Memphis, less from the eastern part of the state.

Did the isotope results say she was in Tennessee the entire time? I thought she had been living elsewhere the previous few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I think it just said she may have lived in the Tennessee area at some point.

Another thought, although they said she lived in Europe in early life, how are they concluding she is European? If she was in a military family and home was really Tennessee, could be Native American? There are areas of Tennessee with Native American roots.

I don't think they necessarily concluded that she was a European, but that based on isotope testing, she'd lived there in her childhood. That's interesting about the possible Native American connection. I would think that would've been observed by the anthropologist, though - the teeth of Native Americans are very uniquely shaped, and there might have been other indicators that stood out if that were the case.

Investigators close in on Beth Doe and her killer - By Bill Landauer, Of The Morning Call November 29, 2014, 10:05PM

The practice, known as chemical stable and heavy isotope analysis, has been used for years by archaeologists and anthropologists. Its application in forensics is newer, and it has given McAndrew new hope.

A few months ago, McAndrew sent some of Beth Doe's tooth enamel, bone and hair samples, taken when investigators exhumed the body in 2007, to the University of South Florida for analysis.

The university recently presented McAndrew with the first new information about the Beth Doe case in decades.

If the findings are correct, Beth Doe was born and spent her early childhood in western or central Europe. She moved to the United States as a child or a teenager. She spent at least five to 10 years in the United States before her murder.

She also most likely became pregnant in this country. And she probably lived in the Southeast, possibly somewhere in eastern Tennessee.

The science is inexact, McAndrew said, although there is no telling what breakthrough will lead them down the proper path toward identifying Beth Doe. Already, McAndrew and his fellow officers are using the evidence to look into missing persons cases in the Southeast.

I should have known this had already been brought up. :)
It is more likely that there was no significance, and if I am not mistaken, there were thoughts thrown around recently about who and where would have random newspapers, which is probably more helpful than trying to figure out some sort of coded message sent via a seemingly random article (and this was a remark directed at myself. :blushing:)

I'm curious what newspaper sections were missing. I recall "back in the day" families shared a newspaper and fought over different sections. Which is probably no help here, but I'm curious. Also is there any newer technology that could be used on the newspapers, if it's even still available?

I don't think they necessarily concluded that she was a European, but that based on isotope testing, she'd lived there in her childhood. That's interesting about the possible Native American connection. I would think that would've been observed by the anthropologist, though - the teeth of Native Americans are very uniquely shaped, and there might have been other indicators that stood out if that were the case.

You can have Native American roots, and not have the shovel teeth like most of us.

Nothing I've read mentions Beth being Native

Wow, now I'm really confused - how can a school be renamed three(?) different names through the years? Also, "Volunteer High School" is a weird name for a school... do the students "volunteer" to go there? Lol.

Still stumped on "WSR."

Wow, now I'm really confused - how can a school be renamed three(?) different names through the years? Also, "Volunteer High School" is a weird name for a school... do the students "volunteer" to go there? Lol.

Still stumped on "WSR."

University of Tennessee students and teams are known as the Volunteers and Tennessee is known as "the volunteer state." No, I don't know why.

University of Tennessee students and teams are known as the Volunteers and Tennessee is known as "the volunteer state." No, I don't know why.

Looks like it has the name Volunteer because of the street.
Wondering about maternity homes or H.schools that may cater to young, unmarried expectant mothers- maybe Beth stayed at one of those, or was heading to one to have her baby? imo, speculation.
http://www.greatschools.org/tennessee/church-hill/488-Volunteer-High-School/#Contact_this_school
attachment.php

Attachments

• staticmap.png
    staticmap.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors