DC DC - Chandra Levy, 24, Washington DC, 1 May 2001 *found deceased in 2002*

I agree. I think though he ought to climb back under that rock he was hiding under for the last 15 years. The book seems disrespectful to her parents. I guess he needs additional money to his government pension. Also since when was he ever considered to be a future candidate for the US presidency. Who even heard of him before Chandra Levy disappeared?

His life has been ruined and he will always live under the "guilty as hell" public perception for the most part.
I thought he was very respectful when speaking of her parents and made it clear several times that CL and her family are the victims.

I feel for him. You can't undo what people hear and see and most of what they heard and saw was completely irrelevant to the case but destroyed his image. There were so many made up "news" stories that affected his entire family.

Is he a perfect man? Nope.
But I do not believe he deserved 90% of what he got.

And I pray Dr. and Mrs. Levy will one day get the answers they long for and deserve. So CL can have her earthly justice.

JMO

You put "news" in quotes as if they weren't true.

The only thing that wasn't true was what he has said.

I analyzed every news story, wrote about them, correlated them, documented them, discerned what facts impinged on Chandra's murder from them.

If there were "news" as you suggest, not actually the truth, I would have pointed it out.

The Dr Phil show and specifically the publication of 'the book' with a co-author prompted me to do a little research today.

(Also, the suggestion that he was future presidential material, really??? God help us!)

It turns out that his co-author Breton Peace is a son of Steven Peace, a former California State Assemblyman from the San Diego area. Prior to his stint as an Assemblyman, Steven Peace had a small film company that produced highlight and analytical films for high schools and colleges. In 1978, Peace and his film partner produced a film called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Hollywood was unimpressed but the pair distributed the film on their own and it later became a cult classic. In 1988, a sequel called "Return of the Killer Tomatoes". Gary Condit had a bit part in the sequel.

It seems that Gary Condit and Steven Peace initially met when they both first successfully ran for the California State Assembly in 1982.

Peace and Condit became two of the 'Gang of Five Rebellion of 1987' when they attempted unsuccessfully to topple Assembly Speaker Willie Brown. Condit went on to run The House of Representatives and served from 1989 to 2003. He was a Blue Dog Democrat in the House. Peace continued on in politics in California. He went on to 'found' the Independent Voters Project which is apparently a cover for corporate interests. When California switched to the 'Top Two Primary System' in 2012, Peace as head of the IVP worked very hard but unsuccessfully to get Chad Condit, Gary's son elected as a representative to USHouse of Representatives for District 10.

And, it turns out that in 2012 Gary Condit and his wife were back living in Ceres and working to get Chad elected.

This bit from a 2012 Washington Post article is particularly interesting:

“Gary Condit, now 64, hasn’t given interviews in years. But here’s what we know about what he’s been up to: He’s living in Ceres, Calif., and apparently isn’t considered too scandal-scarred to be of help to Chad Condit’s scrappy campaign. He’s been walking precincts and attending events on the trail, we hear.

Gary Condit even appears on his son’s campaign Facebook page, in a gallery of supporters holding signs proclaiming themselves as being “With Chad.”

He’s written a book, although it doesn’t seem to have found a publisher. And his entrepreneurial spirit apparently hasn’t been dampened by previous bad luck. (Post-Congress, he ran Baskin-Robbins ice cream franchises that ended in failure. The Condits lost a breach-of-contract suit and were ordered to pay about $98,000.”)

- https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-in-politics/2012/05/07/gIQAr7l68T_story.html

Hmmm.

You put "news" in quotes as if they weren't true.

The only thing that wasn't true was what he has said.

I analyzed every news story, wrote about them, correlated them, documented them, discerned what facts impinged on Chandra's murder from them.

If there were "news" as you suggest, not actually the truth, I would have pointed it out.

So there were no lawsuits? No settlements?

plenty of lawsuits from Condit. had to keep getting new lawyers. Last one was threatened by judge with malpractice for spurious lawsuit.

None of the settlements were revealed and Condit refused to deposition under oath so I do not consider any of the settlements to have established libel against Condit.

Some of the stuff involved National Enquirer so you're more than welcome to put quotes around news concerning them.

I did not analyze, document, and correlate stuff from the National Enquirer publisher. (American Media or something like that)

Well, brilliant can have different connotations. This word is often used to describe a 'brilliant mind', as in an intelligent mind. Plus its usually a good tactic for presenters to suck up to their guests a little in these circumstances - it makes them more willing to open up to you.

Since the "brilliant" remarks were made about Dr. Phil's guests and not to them during their respective interviews, your assessment is likely correct. I used :rolleyes: smiley to indicate what I believe is sarcasm in calling either of these men "brilliant". I don't consider either of them intelligent enough to be considered "brilliant". :moo:

So there were no lawsuits? No settlements?
Yes LAWSUITS. Yes SETTLEMENT.

I watched Thursday’s Dr Phil show of Gary Condit. As I recall (without re-watching the segment), Dr Phil stated that there was a ‘settlement’ of the slander lawsuit against Dunne.

Slander lawsuit by Gary Condit, includes some excerpts of Condit’s and Dunne’s deposition:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gary-condit-tapes/
February 4, 2005, 7:05 AM

The settlement terms are apparently confidential:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-08-4225091623_x.htm
7/8/2008 5:49 PM
A similar lawsuit by Condit against Dunne was settled in March 2005; the terms remain confidential.

plenty of lawsuits from Condit. had to keep getting new lawyers. Last one was threatened by judge with malpractice for spurious lawsuit.

None of the settlements were revealed and Condit refused to deposition under oath so I do not consider any of the settlements to have established libel against Condit.

Some of the stuff involved National Enquirer so you're more than welcome to put quotes around news concerning them.

I did not analyze, document, and correlate stuff from the National Enquirer publisher. (American Media or something like that)
Re: “Condit refused to deposition under oath “
It doesn’t seem like a legal ‘deposition’ – if it isn’t under OATH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deposition_(law)
Prior to taking a deposition, the court reporter administers the same oath or affirmation that the deponent would take if the testimony were being given in court in front of a judge and jury.

Yes LAWSUITS. Yes SETTLEMENT.

I watched Thursday’s Dr Phil show of Gary Condit. As I recall (without re-watching the segment), Dr Phil stated that there was a ‘settlement’ of the slander lawsuit against Dunne.

Slander lawsuit by Gary Condit, includes some excerpts of Condit’s and Dunne’s deposition:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gary-condit-tapes/
February 4, 2005, 7:05 AM

The settlement terms are apparently confidential:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-08-4225091623_x.htm
7/8/2008 5:49 PM
A similar lawsuit by Condit against Dunne was settled in March 2005; the terms remain confidential.

From the 2005 CBS News Link to the deposition:

"Was there any physical intimacy of any kind in your relationship?" LiCalsi wanted to know.

"I instruct Mr. Condit not to answer the question," Condit's attorney, L. Lin Wood, interjected at that point.

[....]

Question: "And how long have you had a low opinion of Gary Condit?"

Dunne: "I've had a low opinion of Gary Condit almost from the beginning of the disappearance of Chandra Levy."

[....]

At the time, on local TV, Condit said, "I am not going to share the details of my relationship with Chandra."

This coming out party on Dr Phil's Show is the same song, the second verse from 2005.

Re: “Condit refused to deposition under oath “
It doesn’t seem like a legal ‘deposition’ – if it isn’t under OATH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deposition_(law)
Prior to taking a deposition, the court reporter administers the same oath or affirmation that the deponent would take if the testimony were being given in court in front of a judge and jury.

It isn't. He refused to deposition on any of his lawsuits. One can surmise what they will about the undisclosed "settlements" of each of his lawsuits.
You don't have much leverage if you refuse to answer questions under oath.

Dunne probably paid him a small amount of money based on his statements about the lawsuit. The lawsuit was not about published "news", but was based on comments Dunne made at a dinner party that Condit probably knew more than he was saying. I'm pretty sure that's not terrific grounds for libel.

National Enquirer probably paid him some money, but that's their business model. Print trash and libel settlements are a cost of business.

Sad to see that the only exposure this case gets is when the last suspect is released and supposed to be deported. I still believe the killer is out there, but the case seems to be VERY cold.

Illegal immigrant and MS-13 gang member cleared of killing Chandra Levy is deported a year after murder charges were dropped

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-Chandra-Levy-deported.html#ixzz4gX3C6Ywu

Just to be clear, he joined the El Salvadoran gang in prison because, well, that's what prisoners do since they're allowed to roam around and maim each other. I wrote in last chapter of Murder on a Horse Trail how I would handle violent prisoners.

How many unsolved investigations about a missing and presumed murdered congressional intern manage to escape the eyes of the media for more than a decade? That is one of the questions that The Learning Channel’s Chandra Levy: An American Murder Mystery tries to answer. The show aired September 4th, and it works with the investigator who believes the show is the last chance for any hidden evidence to surface with the hope of solving the mystery.
http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/recap-chandra-levy-american-murder-mystery

It's available on the Learning Channel, but you have to be a subscriber to one of a limited number of cable systems:
https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/chandra-levy-an-american-murder-mystery-on-tlc/

This case seemed like it should have been solved. I wonder why the detectives continue to think Chandra searched for Rock Creek on her laptop? It could have been that the murderer searched the computer to plan for disposal. Correct? Crime scene at her apartment, the woods not for jogging, but for dumping. Thats the only angleI see.

WHO REALLY KILLED CHANDRA LEVY? APHRODITE JONES SHARES HER THEORIES
http://crimefeed.com/2018/04/will-chandra-levys-murder-always-remain-a-mystery/
[...]

I worked on an episode of True Crime about the Chandra Levy case back in 2009, when there was a break in the case. I interviewed D.C. police and learned there was great hope that her killer had been found. On March 3, 2009, police obtained a warrant to arrest Ingmar Guandique, an illegal immigrant who’d been convicted of assaulting two other women in Rock Creek Park around the same time of Chandra’s disappearance.

At Guandique’s trial in 2010, prosecutors alleged that Guandique attacked Levy in the park and committed first-degree murder during a sexual offense. A jailhouse snitch testified that Guandique admitted to the murder, and the two women who were assaulted by Guandique also testified. On November 22, 2010, a jury found Guandique guilty of first-degree murder, and the conviction was heralded as a miracle, since there was no DNA linking Guandique to the murder, no eye witness, and only circumstantial evidence linking him to the crime.

But then there was a problem. The testimony of the jailhouse snitch came into question when Guandique’s attorneys discovered the snitch had impeached himself on the stand. The jailhouse snitch was possibly looking for a deal from prosecutors and was clearly not the “reformed” religious man he professed to be.

On the basis of a tape secretly recorded that proved the snitch to be a liar, Guandique was granted a new trial. Then on July 28, 2015, with a charge of “prosecutorial error” being made by his defense attorneys, prosecutors announced they would not proceed with the case against Guandique — and would instead have him deported.

Now, the question remains: Who killed Chandra Levy? Could it have been this illegal alien who perhaps got away on a technicality? Or could her killer have known her? On her last day alive, Chandra was searching for the Pierce-Klingle Mansion, an administrative building in Rock Creek Park. She also searched for directions to that location. Was she meeting someone there?

To see more of her theories on this case, watch the “Chandra Levy” episode of Investigation Discovery’s True Crime with Aphrodite Jones on ID GO now!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back