VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Gawd that is sad, but why would father report her missing if that was the case?
The last person to see her was her ex-step-dad.
He wasn't the one that reported her missing, was he?
Hard to remember, so I'm going to start over

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Is there a map? From her mom's, the mall, her stepdad's, where her items were found?

This is a frustrating case to discuss on this board because one person in particular seems to be the obvious...shall we say...link? And apparently until he's named a suspect we aren't allowed to sleuth/discuss him. Sort of makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

Until then we will keep her memory and this board alive. Frustrating. I wish that WS could evolve a little bit and come up with some guidelines to include SM since it has become such an intricate part of everyone's lives. I think if it can be confirmed it was a person that is associated immediately with the case we could include it here. But I understand the reasons why.

only one person on earth knew about her changing her plans and asking to be left at the mall.

the police no longer believe that she was ever taken to the mall... or the train station... or the airport.

so why is this person not considered a person of interest or suspect again?

im sure there is a really good reason and im just missing it.
Thank you for posting, I remember a change was it an earlier drop off, also? Was it suggested why?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spotsylvania Town Center is not the mall she was going to. Springfield Mall is where she was headed. That's where the metro stop is, not Spotsylvania Town Center.

Spotsylvania Town Center is not the mall she was going to. Springfield Mall is where she was headed. That's where the metro stop is, not Spotsylvania Town Center.

right, if you look it up on google maps it will take you to "springfield town center" which is due NW of the metro station she was supposed to go to (according to her stepfather, which nobody else was aware of, and which she had never used before, to get to an airplane on time to travel across the country...).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...820ba416f85bc2!8m2!3d38.7740031!4d-77.1778184

Sorry. Yes. I was referring to the map posted earlier which had Spotsylvania Town Center as a point of interest. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a new poster. Please forgive. :)

only one person on earth knew about her changing her plans and asking to be left at the mall.

the police no longer believe that she was ever taken to the mall... or the train station... or the airport.

so why is this person not considered a person of interest or suspect again?

im sure there is a really good reason and im just missing it.

So, one year later LE has taken interest in Katelin's case? Peculiar!

Why was this one person's statement taken to be the gospel? IIRC, the only proof for this person's whereabouts was LE reported an image of the car was seen near the mall in the correct drop off time frame in a window. Of course, her luggage was discovered pitched out along the road also.

At the time last year, the pieces to this story were so scattered between VA and AZ, it did appear information was being withheld by LE for a reason. IMO, I wondered if due to the young age of Katelin and her family's disapproval of her sexual identity, if LE saw it as an extreme family problem, not a legal matter.

Sorry. Yes. I was referring to the map posted earlier which had Spotsylvania Town Center as a point of interest. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a new poster. Please forgive. :)

hi, and welcome :) i didnt mean to sound like i was correcting you at all, just using your post to further clarify.

Investigators have been corresponding with Akens' stepfather and will continue to speak with him to "tighten up the timeline."

every time i read this comment i try to think of a way to reply that wont sound like im criticizing LE... lets try this "i hope whoever said that didnt really mean it and used it as a sort of euphemism".

i wonder if the police ever asked the stepfather to voluntarily let them look at his phone/text/gps info from the day she went missing, to help them eliminate him as a suspect.

what would it take for them to get a search warrant for something like that? he is the last person to see someone that then disappears for over a year, he is the only one who had any knowledge of a critical change of plans supposedly made by the person now missing, and the police have now said that they do not believe his story and there is no evidence to support it.

is that not enough?

i wonder if the stepfather ever considered being active in the search, making his version of things public, or doing an interview.

i wonder just how his name has never once been mentioned in the media, its not like he is some random person being dragged into the case - he is a relative of hers and the last person to see her.

i wonder why a description of the car was never made public, you know - the car she was in right before she dropped off the face of the earth for over a year now.

i wonder how the family has reacted to the news that the police no longer believe the stepfather's version of events.

This case has really bothered me, perhaps because I have a daughter nearly the same age as Katelin and live in the Fredericksburg area.

<mod snip>

Great post investigate!

I would think the 8 acres has NOT been searched as the stepdad is still ''''cooperating'''', as to why his address is now being released, why it took a year, I have an idea but.......

<mod snip>

they cant search any of his property without either his permission or a search warrant.

i guess the problem is that the only evidence at this point is the lack of evidence.

so while they say they do not believe she ever left the county, they cannot point to evidence that she didnt, there is just a lack of evidence that she ever did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back