GUILTY SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston, 2015; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 58s59 seconds ago
Prosecutor Williams is up now. He calls today's final witness, Lauren Knapp from the Charleston Co. Sheriff's Office. #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 2m2 minutes ago
Prosecution calls Lauren Knapp with the @ChasCoSheriff to the witness stand in #DylannRoof's penalty trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 54s54 seconds ago
Prosecution asked for a side bar. Video feed goes out. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 34s35 seconds ago
Based on what Richardson talked about after afternoon break. Knapp could provide testimony about Roof's jail statement. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 8s9 seconds ago
Knapp says she a criminal intelligence officer at Al Cannon Detention Center. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 45s46 seconds ago
She's a criminal intelligence officer. She monitors the county jail. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Knapp looks at keeping those booked at the jail safe on the inside and looks at security on the outside. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 19s19 seconds ago
She says Roof sent a letter from the jail to family members. It looked strange, she says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 42s42 seconds ago
Knapp says there was a letter Roof wrote to family. Says it didn't appear normal. Found out it was from a book. #chsnews #RoofTrial
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 12s13 seconds ago
Knapp says the words were from a historical book "The Sorrows of Young Werther". #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 1m1 minute ago
Note appeared to be two, two-and-a-half pages. Didn't appear to be a normal letter to family. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 2m2 minutes ago
She says that book pertains to suicide among young people. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

The Post and Courier Retweeted
Glenn Smith ‏@glennsmith5 2m2 minutes ago
The book in question was related to so-called "Werther effect," which refers to suicide contagion

"It was the first outbound letter that the inmate had sent out," she says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Book talked about instilling young people to commit suicide. As result, Knapp says Roof was placed on suicide watch. #chsnews #RoofTrial

So, he was put on a suicide protocol, she says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He was taken out of his cell. Officials searched for anything that might harm him. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 1m1 minute ago
That happened on August 3, 2015. He didn't have a cell mate at the time. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 46s47 seconds ago
Bruck leans over and talks to Roof as Knapp testifies. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Knapp says Roof's cell was searched as a result of the suicide protocol. Going through cell found drawings and letters. #chsnews #RoofTrial
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just FYI:

The Sorrows of Young Werther

"The Sorrows of Young Werther (German: Die Leiden des jungen Werthers) is an epistolary, loosely autobiographical novel by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, first published in 1774. A revised edition appeared in 1787. It was an important novel of the Sturm und Drang period in German literature, and influenced the later Romantic movement in literature....

The book reputedly also led to some of the first known examples of copycat suicide. .."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther
-----

Copycat suicide (Redirected from Werther effect)

"A copycat suicide is defined as an emulation of another suicide that the person attempting suicide knows about either from local knowledge or due to accounts or depictions of the original suicide on television and in other media.

A spike of emulation suicides after a widely publicized suicide is known as the Werther effect, following Goethe's novel The Sorrows of Young Werther.[1]

The publicized suicide serves as a trigger, in the absence of protective factors, for the next suicide by a susceptible or suggestible person. This is referred to as suicide contagion.[2] They occasionally spread through a school system, through a community, or in terms of a celebrity suicide wave, nationally. This is called a suicide cluster.[2] Suicide clusters are caused by the social learning of suicide-related behaviors, or "copycat suicides". Point clusters are clusters of suicides in both time and space, and have been linked to direct social learning from nearby individuals.[3] Mass clusters are clusters of suicides in time but not space, and have been linked to the broadcasting of information concerning celebrity suicides via the mass media.[4]..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide#History
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 14m14 minutes ago
The officers found "documents and drawings" in cell. Symbols related to gangs and hate are considered contraband in jail, Knapp said.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 11m11 minutes ago
Other drawings made by #DylannRoof include crosses of white supremacy, Nazi Swastika.

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 39s40 seconds ago
"Ultimately, some documents and some drawings were brought to my attention," Knapp says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 11m11 minutes ago
She says officers search for any drawings that contain "gangs" or "hate." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 53s53 seconds ago
She says it was traced out of a book. It was about "Werther Fever." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 8m8 minutes ago
Prosecution moves to enter documents, drawings as evidence. Roof objects. Judge overrules. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 10m10 minutes ago
Roof objects, but the drawings are submitted as evidence. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

First drawing shows a house with a pool in the backyard. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Next drawing shows ghosts holding a cross. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Next drawing shows Roof's symbol. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

C1cBzAPXgAAua_7.jpg

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 7m7 minutes ago
First drawing shown is of house with pool, second is of ghosts, and third is of symbol with swastikas, and many more. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 9m9 minutes ago
Another seems to show Jesus. Another has other cross-containing symbols. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 6m6 minutes ago
Piece of paper shows list of movies. Appears to be Roof's favorite movies, "The Notebook" "Pride & Prejudice" on list. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 10m10 minutes ago
Also had list of favorite movies: among them, Romper Stompers (about skinheads) and then also Titanic, The Notebook. #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 9m9 minutes ago
A list was found with his favorite movies - The Notebook, Pride and Prejudice, and Titanic are all included. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 9m9 minutes ago
#DylannRoof included some notes about favorite movies, like 12 Years A Slave -"unrealistic" but "beautiful cinematography" #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 8m8 minutes ago
"The lead actor, a Jew," he wrote about one of the movies. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 9m9 minutes ago
"I would like to finish writing some of my opinions" jailhouse writing begins, #DylannRoof said unable to finish manifesto before shooting.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 8m8 minutes ago
"I would not deny for a moment that the jews have made some great contributions... but the bad outweighs the good" #DylannRoof journal

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 7m7 minutes ago
#DylannRoof also said Jews, with "control" of film industry and media, "are indeed our greatest enemy." #RoofTrial

Knapp now reads a document about views on various religions. I'm stepping out for live shot. Will update when I get back #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 8m8 minutes ago
Roof looks down at the table as the witness reads through his notes and writings. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've stepped out for a live shot & will be back in the courthouse momentarily. #RoofTrial #DylannRoof @wis10

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 5m5 minutes ago
#DylannRoof journal said hispanics with "white blood" are "worth saving." Thinks hispanic, muslim people are violent. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 3m3 minutes ago
"The far right in Russia feels it is empowered... it is because their government support their beliefs" #DlyannRoof journal praising Russia

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 2m2 minutes ago
"Unless we take real, possibly violent action, we have no future, literally, .. I could not go another day without doing something." -Roof

he Post and Courier Retweeted
"I've done all I can do," #DylannRoof journal said. Knapp reads portion read yesterday in opening statement: he's not sorry. #RoofTrial

Now, #DylannRoof journal said homosexuality should be treated as severe "mental illness."
Goes on, "My only nation is my race." #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 7m7 minutes ago
He also had portion called "clarifications" said he never planned to attack College of Charleston, never had black friend. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 6m6 minutes ago
"I never wanted my writings to be called a manifesto," he said. Also: "having divorced parents does not mean you had a troubled childhood"

he Post and Courier Retweeted
Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 6m6 minutes ago
"Many white people don't want to know the truth," #DylannRoof journal said. That most hope "one day there will be a race war." #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 5m5 minutes ago
"When a population is diverse, you are bound to have problems" #DylannRoof said. "I believe 1 day, Adolf Hitler will be inducted as a saint"

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 4m4 minutes ago
"White people are the ones keeping other white people from standing up for themselves," #DylannRoof journal said. #RoofTrial

"Now we have to get revenge," #DylannRoof journal said, that African-Americans "have to pay for what they have done" #RoofTrial

The Post and Courier ‏@postandcourier 48s49 seconds ago
Dylann Roof's jailhouse journal is being read in the #RoofTrial courtroom right now.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 1m1 minute ago
"It is so nice to be able to say these things, to call my fellow white men pathetic cowards," #DylannRoof said in jail journal. #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad and Karina catching up:

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 4m4 minutes ago
Back in media room. Knapp reading through Roof document. Appears to be several pages long. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 3m3 minutes ago
"I would rather live in prison knowing I did something for my race than live with the torture of sitting idle." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 4m4 minutes ago
"It isn't up to me anymore. I've done what I can do," Roof went on to write. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Document reads: "I do not regret what I did. I am not sorry. I have not shed a tear for the innocent people I killed." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 3m3 minutes ago
From Roof's jailhouse statement: "I do not regret what I did. I am not sorry." #RoofTrial #DylannRoof @wis10 #BREAKING #sctweets

Roof's jailhouse statement continues: "I have not shed a tear for the innocent people I killed." #RoofTrial #DylannRoof #BREAKING @wis10

Roof went on to write he did not have a troubled childhood and never used drugs "to drown the pain." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Doc: "One day we will live in this white utopia," and "I believe one day that Adolf Hitler will be inducted as a saint." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Roof wrote that he wished he'd had a child before he "did what I did." #chsnews #RoofTrial

The defendant goes on to write that he enjoys self-pity and it "gives me great delight to pity myself." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Photo shows a shoe of Roof's shoe, with a cross drawn on it. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 3m3 minutes ago
A photo of #DylannRoof shoe found in cell on screen, has a little cross drawn on heel. #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 29s29 seconds ago
Prosecution has no further questions. No cross examination. Knapp steps down. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Roof has no questions for the witness. She's asked to step down. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial #BREAKING

No cross-examination from #DylannRoof. Knapp steps down. Jury being dismissed. #RoofTrial

Judge Gergel suggests breaking for the day. Court in recess until Fri. Unknown if attorneys will ask questions. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 55s56 seconds ago
Keep in mind, the jailhouse letter was written six weeks after the massacre. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial #BREAKING

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 29s29 seconds ago
Tomorrow, gov't will start with an FBI agent. Then, it'll call some family members. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 39s40 seconds ago
Govt plans to call FBI agent Friday morning and then family of Cynthia Hurd, Ethel Lance, and Susie Jackson. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Few witnesses for Tywanza Sanders will be called on Monday morning. Then, the government's case will conclude. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

BREAKING: Prosecution feels it could wrap case up by Monday afternoon in penalty phase for #DylannRoof. #chsnews #RoofTrial

The court has adjourned for the day. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/KRBolster

https://twitter.com/ChadKMills

https://twitter.com/postandcourier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meg Kinnard ‏@MegKinnardAP 23m23 minutes ago
Here's final page of #DylannRoof motion to limit victim impact testimony; was denied but judge told prosecutors to move quickly. #RoofTrial

C1bOs3AWgAE_5ov.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry DR, you wanted to be your own attorney. It's not the judge's obligation to make your objections for you.

And if you can't, put your attorneys back in charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emotional testimony about Dylann Roof's victims draws tears from crowd, complaint from lawyer

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_032b33de-d34a-11e6-afd7-f75f5c848959.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawyer decries emotional testimony at South Carolina church gunman's trial

"...David Bruck, who represented Roof during the guilt phase of the trial and now serves as his standby counsel, said the defendant was not making the objections needed to put up a proper defense.

"This man cannot protect his own rights," Bruck argued. "He cannot do it."

U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel refused to let Bruck object to such testimony on Roof's behalf.

The judge told jurors to disregard emotional opinion from witnesses and encouraged prosecutors to pare down their list of people who would be called to describe the impact of the massacre. Assistant U.S Attorney Jay Richardson said adjustments were being made but noted the large number of victims resulted from Roof's choices..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-south-carolina-shooting-roof-idUSKBN14P2EG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official: Letter from Dylann Roof referencing copycat suicide book led jail officials to manifesto

"Charleston County jail officials found racist writings inside Dylann Roof's cell during a search spurred by a letter he tried to send to his mom that contained references to copycat suicides, a sheriff's intelligence officer testified this afternoon.

Investigator Lauren Knapp said she came across the letter while screening mail from the 22-year-old white supremacist. The two-page letter stood out because it contained sections that did not appear to be in normal handwriting. She searched online and saw the writing were from a book related to the so-called "Werther effect," a term applied to suicide contagion...."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_032b33de-d34a-11e6-afd7-f75f5c848959.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bless all of the witnesses who testify at court about their loved ones.

I cannot fathom what the experience would feel like in that courtroom with such a real presence of hatred and evil in the room.

Sending prayers of strength and love to the families and friends of the beautiful souls who lost their lives to evil.

May they Rest in Peace and Love forever.

I'm torn in thinking that 38 witnesses are a bit excessive, but then think: if you had only 2 witnesses per victim it would still be 18, and I feel that is a reasonable amount. Each victim should have a proper amount of witnesses standing for them and telling how their loss has impacted their lives. It is certainly not the prosecutions fault that DR chose to kill 9 people. He would have killed more if he had the chance. So that is his burden to bear: that so many people loved and felt the irreplaceable loss of these victims. And the jury should get a chance to hear them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I do believe 38 witnesses are far too many, I don't really see a fair way to reduce them. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to deny any loved one the opportunity to tell the court how deeply his actions have affected their entire life. If the judge placed a limit on the prosecution and only allowed X number of witnesses, how would they even begin to choose which victims should or should not be allowed to speak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what DR can possibly do next week when it is his turn. Can he take the stand and just give a commentary statement? Will he call any witness that can help his defense? I envision him saying only ... "the defense rests." Is that possible?

Such an emotional day. I do hope no one says anything negative about these witnesses or why they are called to give their statements.

I also hope DR is "really hearing" what is coming from their hearts.

I wonder if DR will even allow himself to see the victims as loving, compassionate, purposeful humans who were loved. How could he still see all Blacks as bad after hearing these victims.

"Quarles told the jury that she had a dream the night of June 17 at the time of the shooting in which she and her mother were swimming through unusual waters, her mother slightly ahead of her. Thompson bobbed up and down three times, then vanished. When Quarles swam to where her mother had been, she couldn't find her.

"I knew that was my mom letting me know something happened," she said.

Then, in the dream, Quarles saw herself in a desert beneath a bright light. A man's voice said her that her mom had died.

She said she believes it was God and her mother's message to her that she was okay."

In a court of law? That is just a little much. I have never heard of a 'dream' being entered into court testimony. On the other hand it is the penalty phase. And on the other hand the outcome is not in doubt. He is going to have countless appeals anyway. I get my books out to see if that is admissible in the penalty phase-I know it's not here. Section 18 of the code requires the jury to leave the room if the 'God' approach
is used. Like saying Jesus told me to do it. It has been challenged several times and I don't know the outcome-I'll see if I can find the last ruling..

I wonder if DR will even allow himself to see the victims as loving, compassionate, purposeful humans who were loved. How could he still see all Blacks as bad after hearing these victims.

I think he has the ability to shut off all emotions and compassionate feelings for anyone. As far as I can tell from all reports, he has never shown any connection to a witness --- no looking at any of them, no reports of showing feelings or that anyone has touched a spark in him in any way. He seems to have accepted that he will receive punishment, though he does not feel he did wrong. At least that is how I perceive him so far.

Sure wish this was being live-streamed. We might have different views then.

Updated article:

Dylann Roof: 'I am not sorry' for Charleston church massacre

by: Crystal Bonvillian, Cox Media Group National Content Desk Updated: Jan 5, 2017 - 6:27 AM

Testimony began Wednesday in the penalty phase of Roof’s federal hate crimes trial. He was convicted last month of 33 separate charges stemming from the mass shooting that killed nine members of the congregation of Emanuel AME Church, including its pastor, the Rev. Clementa Pinckney.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/dy...that-killed-9-in-charleston-church_/481390614

Not caught up sorry if this posted:

Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof wrote a suicide note to his mother and kept a journal in jail that detailed his belief Hitler would one day become a saint.
Excerpts from the 22-year-old's horror manifesto, which was found in his jail cell six weeks after his arrest, were read out at his court trial on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aying-Hitler-one-day-saint.html#ixzz4UxBeb4bd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wonder what DR can possibly do next week when it is his turn. Can he take the stand and just give a commentary statement? Will he call any witness that can help his defense? I envision him saying only ... "the defense rests." Is that possible?

I read today that's what he plans to do and part of his complaint that the government shouldn't get to present so much evidence is because he is presenting none and the weight of evidence vs. his would guarantee him the death penalty.

"Quarles told the jury that she had a dream the night of June 17 at the time of the shooting in which she and her mother were swimming through unusual waters, her mother slightly ahead of her. Thompson bobbed up and down three times, then vanished. When Quarles swam to where her mother had been, she couldn't find her.

"I knew that was my mom letting me know something happened," she said.

Then, in the dream, Quarles saw herself in a desert beneath a bright light. A man's voice said her that her mom had died.

She said she believes it was God and her mother's message to her that she was okay."

In a court of law? That is just a little much. I have never heard of a 'dream' being entered into court testimony. On the other hand it is the penalty phase. And on the other hand the outcome is not in doubt. He is going to have countless appeals anyway. I get my books out to see if that is admissible in the penalty phase-I know it's not here. Section 18 of the code requires the jury to leave the room if the 'God' approach
is used. Like saying Jesus told me to do it. It has been challenged several times and I don't know the outcome-I'll see if I can find the last ruling..

Well, it is up up the attorneys to object if they think something untoward is being said. And since Roof is representing himself and doesn't know when to object, it's all going to be allowed. The judge can't prevent something from being said for him. Attorney Bruck even said today he is not making the necessary objections to save his life and wanted to be allowed to object for him. The judge's response was basically tough nuggets, I warned him it was a bad idea for him to represent himself.

If I remember correctly, his attorneys can let him know when/why to object, and it is up to DR whether he heeds their advice.

I think he has the ability to shut off all emotions and compassionate feelings for anyone. As far as I can tell from all reports, he has never shown any connection to a witness --- no looking at any of them, no reports of showing feelings or that anyone has touched a spark in him in any way. He seems to have accepted that he will receive punishment, though he does not feel he did wrong. At least that is how I perceive him so far.

Sure wish this was being live-streamed. We might have different views then.
Some people are born without empathy and compassion.

Some people believe strongly that their immense hatred is justified.

Some people commit evil deeds and believe they are justified in doing so.

Looks to me that D.R. happens to be one of those "people".

Sometimes it is as simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley