WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that his anonymity intrigues many. I think people like taunting with outrageous theories...

My desire to disclose Lyle's identity is based the belief that he deserves to be known and we, as a society should direct our efforts to communicate that he mattered.

There was a young woman that died the other day, and I work in an environment where you face death all the time. One of the people casually mentioned, "She was just a drug addict."

Are we really this cold and numb to the pain of others? This makes me fret about our collective health and ability to emphasize and love one another. No one wonder that many people in this world just want to exit. It is truly sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Y-DNA be great help. But I don't think anybody has reported this guy missing. Or I think you would found something. aka Sharon Marshall case. I could be wrong too.

From start almost act like this guy was drop off & told meet with somebody else within a time period or within short period of time over his actions. He even might stayed at that other motel down as his address. Good quiet guest could been overlooked out of 20+ guest a per day, Different employees different shifts? He complained @ this motel over noise. That made him stand out from others.

Strange case might be one to start thinking out side normal box. Military both parents dead.? 9-11 connection? Drug business employee? Lot strange stuff could happen to this poor guy.

Get Y-DNA back be a good start.
I just looking all the people on this case, they done wonderful job. Even I gave myself lot thinking about towel around neck? Didn't we lose Actor & A Singer few years back doing that same stunt? put it nicely, Simple accident?
Yes sorry didn't have time read huge amount of pages like 5 threads+ yet. I am just on -off again reader. Busy guy.

Good interesting case..

well I was trying be very nice on my wording. Something happen to this poor guy we need find out & get him back to his family.
I just about hooked on this case now.

Autoerotic asphyxiation? Honestly, I don't think so. I have never heard of autoerotic asphyxiation being done by hanging. Suffocation -- yes, but not hanging. Even if that's possible, that remains irrelevant because everything about Lyle and his last few days indicate premeditated suicide.

Lyle was very probably a forgotten soul that never truly connected with anybody. Over time, he just sank into himself and into the abyss of loneliness and isolation. Many end up here - few come back.

Autoerotic asphyxiation, you mean?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
I've been following along with this thread when my other main cases die down a bit. I personally don't see autoerotic asphyxiation in Lyle's case. If that were so wouldnt his pants be down? Button/unzipped or completely off? And if it was a case of autoerotic asphyxiation, why the crumple up paper with the world suicide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I was just trying to clarify what wv171 meant. I don't think so myself.

I was just trying to clarify what wv171 meant. I don't think so myself.

Carbuff - I know. My comment wasn't a reply to your message in particular. I just mentioned that to express what my belief was regarding wv171's suggested theory.

I was reading a reddit thread the other day and stumbled upon a discussion about car search in the area where Lyle killed himself. I do not think anything was found, but then again, he provided a fake name, so we don't really know if there was in fact a car that once belonged to him.

If Lyle had a car and dumped it somewhere, the policeman recovering the car would check the plates and see who it belongs to. It could have been registered to him and he could have had an address on file. They might have attempted to contact him with no results. Well, if someone doesn't have any family or connections, the follow-up would end there. The police wouldn't go out of their way to notify a person of their vehicle.

Then Lyle is found... we don't know his name. His fingerprints are not on file, nor his DNA. Now, if there was something out there leading to him (car and other belongings), there is no way to find out. It then turns into looking for a needle in a haysack. You don't know what you're looking for but you know something must be there.

Y-DNA be great help. But I don't think anybody has reported this guy missing. Or I think you would found something. aka Sharon Marshall case. I could be wrong too.

From start almost act like this guy was drop off & told meet with somebody else within a time period or within short period of time over his actions. He even might stayed at that other motel down as his address. Good quiet guest could been overlooked out of 20+ guest a per day, Different employees different shifts? He complained @ this motel over noise. That made him stand out from others.

Strange case might be one to start thinking out side normal box. Military both parents dead.? 9-11 connection? Drug business employee? Lot strange stuff could happen to this poor guy.

Get Y-DNA back be a good start.
I just looking all the people on this case, they done wonderful job. Even I gave myself lot thinking about towel around neck? Didn't we lose Actor & A Singer few years back doing that same stunt? put it nicely, Simple accident?
Yes sorry didn't have time read huge amount of pages like 5 threads+ yet. I am just on -off again reader. Busy guy.

Good interesting case..

Personally, I don't think Lyle's case is like Sharon Marshall's case. The woman was abducted and then made to be someone she way not - literally and metaphorically.

To me, Lyle was just a regular, quiet person with regular quiet life that perhaps was much more isolated than an average person's life. To me, he is very representative of those who reach the edge of mental and emotional exhaustion of life, drained, abandoned and sinking into deep depression. He is representative if how people ignore others who silently crave for help. Just like the example of "she was just a drug addict" I gave abovr, it's extremely easy to just want to move on while another person exits for exact same reasons. Collectively, we are very numb to such thing and it makes me very, very sad.

The chances are that Lyle was just a regular person with no outrageous facts behind his identity. He was trying to get away from himself as he didn't know how to negotiate and contend with the pain of life anymore.

Left a message to the detective handling Lyle's case. Never ever heard back from him. Mr. Youmans forwarded the DNA Diagnostics details as well but the detective never replied to any of my inquiries or suggestions. This is heartbreaking, frustrating and just sad. There is so much I can personally contribute and it is very sad for me to know that Lyle is just another forgotten soul who remains unidentified.

I was reading the isotope report again today and the take away was he traveled quite a bit in the months before his death. Seemed to be moving from the south to the north over time..from warmer climate to cooler climate. I wondered if he was not making money travelling with a carnival. Maybe somebody has chased that thought down before. I checked and the west Idaho fair is in August in Boise not far from Meridian ID. Maybe he was part of a crew that stayed at that hotel so he did not stick out to the staff. I am not certain how these traveling carnivals work, but from tv it seems to attract transient types, and cash paid day workers. If anyone has the talent, maybe someone could check what carnival worked the fair that year, and where else they traveled that year. Perhaps the motel in Meridian has records doing business with carnies in 2001 or an old time employee can remember it. I suspect the fair takes up motel rooms all over that area with guests and workers so I bet it is something they plan on every year. based on current maps the motel is around 12 miles away from the fairgrounds. The fair this year is August 18-27. Maybe he was let go from the carnival before the suicide, and had run out of money and options.

I was reading the isotope report again today and the take away was he traveled quite a bit in the months before his death. Seemed to be moving from the south to the north over time..from warmer climate to cooler climate. I wondered if he was not making money travelling with a carnival. Maybe somebody has chased that thought down before. I checked and the west Idaho fair is in August in Boise not far from Meridian ID. Maybe he was part of a crew that stayed at that hotel so he did not stick out to the staff. I am not certain how these traveling carnivals work, but from tv it seems to attract transient types, and cash paid day workers. If anyone has the talent, maybe someone could check what carnival worked the fair that year, and where else they traveled that year. Perhaps the motel in Meridian has records doing business with carnies in 2001 or an old time employee can remember it. I suspect the fair takes up motel rooms all over that area with guests and workers so I bet it is something they plan on every year. based on current maps the motel is around 12 miles away from the fairgrounds. The fair this year is August 18-27. Maybe he was let go from the carnival before the suicide, and had run out of money and options.

I think someone had researched the carnival and/or circus act angle and posted a pictures a few pages back. They may have even reached out to one of them?

I also think that his anonymity intrigues many. I think people like taunting with outrageous theories...

My desire to disclose Lyle's identity is based the belief that he deserves to be known and we, as a society should direct our efforts to communicate that he mattered.

There was a young woman that died the other day, and I work in an environment where you face death all the time. One of the people casually mentioned, "She was just a drug addict."

Are we really this cold and numb to the pain of others? This makes me fret about our collective health and ability to emphasize and love one another. No one wonder that many people in this world just want to exit. It is truly sad.

You are so right.. thank you for this statement. In all my modesty... that's why I do a lot of research about the "lost people with a distance to the "normal" society", drug addicts, prostitutes, transient people, the missing, missing persons that nobody seems to miss...I always had a feel for the "underdogs" and yes they are super human and have to be respected and we have to serve them too, not judging them. Could say a lot more about it but I think this will do for now.... Bless you.

Left a message to the detective handling Lyle's case. Never ever heard back from him. Mr. Youmans forwarded the DNA Diagnostics details as well but the detective never replied to any of my inquiries or suggestions. This is heartbreaking, frustrating and just sad. There is so much I can personally contribute and it is very sad for me to know that Lyle is just another forgotten soul who remains unidentified.

I don't think LE ever forgets this case...but there are so many, many more...and with finances cut down...some LE people are really dumb (sorry if I offended somebody) but I think most of them have a heart and keep some cases forever there ..... well, I don't have to explain it...

I'm never as sure about identifying people like Lyle, Annandale Jane Doe, and "Mary Anderson," who all went to great lengths to hide their name and background. They wanted to end their lives anonymously and I'm not always comfortable with not respecting their wishes.

I'm never as sure about identifying people like Lyle, Annandale Jane Doe, and "Mary Anderson," who all went to great lengths to hide their name and background. They wanted to end their lives anonymously and I'm not always comfortable with not respecting their wishes.

He chose to kill himself in a motel room. Society has a vested interest in identifying dead people for lots of reasons. He could have walked up into the mountains and died far away from people. I don't feel any animosity towards him, but his actions were sad but also selfish. He had to know, some poor working woman was going to find him and deal with his decision perhaps the rest of her life. It is also possible he is a criminal who has fled his crime. As I said, there a lots of reasons authorities should pursue his identity, though as time passes, it becomes a smaller and smaller priority. Of course there is also possibly a family member who would like to know what happened to him. I understand and respect your position, but I do not agree. As a matter of public policy we should attempt to identify all john and jane doe's.

He chose to kill himself in a motel room. Society has a vested interest in identifying dead people for lots of reasons. He could have walked up into the mountains and died far away from people. I don't feel any animosity towards him, but his actions were sad but also selfish. He had to know, some poor working woman was going to find him and deal with his decision perhaps the rest of her life. It is also possible he is a criminal who has fled his crime. As I said, there a lots of reasons authorities should pursue his identity, though as time passes, it becomes a smaller and smaller priority. Of course there is also possibly a family member who would like to know what happened to him. I understand and respect your position, but I do not agree. As a matter of public policy we should attempt to identify all john and jane doe's.

I don't disagree and I'm here working away with the rest of you. I just have emotional reservations.

I have exactly the same dilemma. I can feel with you, but also with mrseeker. Your reason was my reason (and also the hopelessness of this case being solved) that I decided to let him go. But as you notice...not entirely...because I still follow this thread...and still wishing that he will be identified in case somebody is really missing him and still waiting for answers. With Annandale Jane Doe I have the same thing, she was so determined not to be known, but still I'm looking out for her.

I agree and disagree. I am working to find out who he is too.

But, while we see his actions as sad and selfish, often times someone who is in a state where suicide seems the only option has a very different view. The way they view it is doing everyone a favour or doing it to preserve honour. Especially, if it is depression and a series of ongoing let downs to a family, it is viewed as being a burden or disgrace. Depressed minds can easily justify and rationalise they are doing a service to loved ones. That's just how it is. We can view it selfish and such, but somewhere in the middle is the reality of how that person came to be there in that hotel room and the feedback he got about himself (perceived or real) from those around him. Suicide is really a permanent solution to the desire to remove ones self from stress and pain. One's stress and pain has far exceeded their abilities to cope. He could have viewed it from the side of being selfless (not selfish) and doing everyone a favor. As non-one seems to be looking for him, that can show a lot about his support network and how he arrived at this conclusion.

If this is a cultural/ethnic case, suicide might be the corrective action to misdeeds. Expected to preserve family honour. An eye for an eye. We can judge from our perspective, that this is a selfish act, but by doing so we might be eliminating the possibility that suicide is a norm or expectation based on his culture and norms. This might have been the admirable thing to do. If this is the case, then him being in a situation where "you are no longer my son" or "we consider you dead" could be why he is not looked for. There are many, many reasons, like culture, religion, and others were this was his appropriate recourse to his life, the corrective action. And if he was an americanised immigrant, the meandering and wandering before he ended his life would reflect the cultural confusion.

We are wanting to bring Lyle home, but there could be a very big chance he has "no home" or "people" to go to. The thing is, we can judge him by his actions and our views on what right and wrong might be, but we haven't been in his shoes and we don't understand what led him to there. In that understanding, maybe we can look at clues to figure out how he ended up there. Is it selfish, yes and no. Could it be SELFLESS, yes and no. It just is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal