Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do cover damage done by winds from hurricanes but if it is like my state of Georgia who experienced the 1994 500 year flood you have to buy extra flood insurance for it to be covered when the damage is due to flood waters.

Many of the homes/businesses in our area had never ever been in a flood zone so they didn't have flood insurance and lost everything they had and still had to pay their mortgages on top of that if they had one. Many beautiful homes on one of the creeks were lost due to the water being up over the roof lines and stayed that way for weeks.

From experience this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. It doesn't matter if Harvey has been downgraded to a tropical storm. What does, and will matter is that he is hovering over the same areas which will cause extreme flooding most have probably never seen in their lifetimes from the rainfall.

It doesn't help that many of these areas are at or below sea level and Houston has so much concrete where the rain will have no place to runoff like it would if it had a lot of grassy areas to catch some of the rain.

When it happened to us we literally were trapped in our area for a week. For thousands it stayed that way for over 6 weeks before it finally began to subside. In times like this you will see different types of insects, worms you have never seen before. The fire ants will be in the water in the millions along with the slime and erupted oil/fuel. It is very dangerous to even walk ankle deep in the water the higher it gets and the longer it stays. Its going to get a lot more dire in the coming days. Those who have even a tiny cut or abrasion can become very sick from the contamination in the water including raw sewage. All of the creeks, lakes, and rivers will overflow causing more flooding. Even lakes, creeks, rivers above the main affected areas who also have rain ...........that rain will have to come into the other tributaries in the badly affected areas before it goes into the ocean.

Those living close to lakes, rivers, creeks be very mindful of how quickly the water will rise. It can catch people off guard. This happens when all tributaries are overflowing already and have no where to go but in areas it most likely has never gone before.

Please be very alert my dear Texas friends. Things can change drastically in a very short period of time.
Amen....I survived the 1000 year flood in South Carolina last year...unbelievable amount of water....sounds like Texas forecast will exceed SC levels...thinking of you all.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Here's Otis the dog in Sinton, Texas making sure he has plenty of food for the days to come. He's gone viral! :lol:

otisthedog.png

Amen....I survived the 1000 year flood in South Carolina last year...unbelievable amount of water....sounds like Texas forecast will exceed SC levels...thinking of you all.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

That had to be so terrifying. I am glad to know you are safe.

When it happens you really think you are living in a different world. Heavy rainfall is much more destructive, and deadly than most hurricanes who come inland, and shortly break apart, and are gone.

The worst thing that Harvey could do when he hit land has happened. I pray he moves on much quicker than they are predicting.

Hi BetteDavisEyes - nice to see you again - Texan, former Illinoisan and Michigander (FIP) - well now, let me tell you about insurance down in these parts - its hella expensive. Coastal area (counties) homes are subject to a wind storm certification in order to carry wind insurance (aka hurricane) - if you have a mortgage you have it. It requires an inspection by a certified engineer to obtain so most homes marketed via traditional real estate methods are subject to this. Without it you can't get insured. Its very expensive, and as a result, many folks whodon't carry a traditional mortgage (owned or other arrangements) go without it. I have a couple folks in my family who don't carry it; we do, but oddly enough I had this year been contemplating dropping it due to the expense. HA HA! Even then, previous experience with insurers after a major wind event demonstrate their reluctance to pay out or pay much - so its a conundrum. Its kinda like flood insurance (which is also separate) - expensive to get and hard to make pay. But I guess, all we can do is the best we can. I'm sure we will see how that works out with our friends to our immediate north Aransas and Rockport and others. Our homeowners (content, theft, wind etc) runs about 5K annually - I think it may have been around a grand in Illinois and a couple hundred in MI - we have a nice(and actually larger) home and property here - but market value in TX doesn't compare to suburban Cook county in Illinois so dollar for dollar against the value (and on the face alone) its a huge huge increase. Maybe we can get and insurance pro to weigh in too. Hope that helps

Well, now I am running around trying to figure out if we have hurricane insurance. Definitely not an insurance professional. We don't have it. But, we live at least 200 miles from the coast.

When Ike hit we did receive a lot of wind damage. A couple I know who were already living in a trailer whose roof was already sort of caving in and was covered with a tarp went to FEMA and claimed Ike had damaged their trailer (NOT). FEMA official wrote them a $30,000 check. They didn't even spend it on their trailer or to get a new trailer. Bought 2 brand new vehicles and I know they spent more than $30,000 on the Ford and the corvette. I guess it's all about one's priorities. smh!

I'll be honest with ya Boots - I really don't know how homeowners works in TX outside what pertains to me - I know in IL we were covered for tornados but they were, while even more potentially catastrophic, smaller in scope (exception Joplin, Moore, etc), and frequency. As we have long said, despite a very long hiatus-when you live on the gulf, it's not "if" but "when" we get a hurricane. Hope we enjoy another 47 years

I'll be honest with ya Boots - I really don't know how homeowners works in TX outside what pertains to me - I know in IL we were covered for tornados but they were, while even more potentially catastrophic, smaller in scope (exception Joplin, Moore, etc), and frequency. As we have long said, despite a very long hiatus-when you live on the gulf, it's not "if" but "when" we get a hurricane. Hope we enjoy another 47 years

Hear, hear! We live in a tornado alley! Palestine got hit hard quite a few years ago. Wiped out a lot! To another 47 years :toastred:

Are you staying cool? I haven't stepped out in the rain, but I heard a reporter say it was a cold rain.

Here's Otis the dog in Sinton, Texas making sure he has plenty of food for the days to come. He's gone viral! :lol:

attachment.php

Otis says..Happy National Dogs Day to me!! :beagle:

it's cooled off a great deal - we were miserably hot "la cunicula" in these parts - the dog days - averaging 100 degrees and just merciless sun - so we kind of expected something tropical would take advantage fit. It was quite doable and even pleasant earlier without power, but I did breath a huge sigh when we came back online and I heard all my AC units fire up (not to mention the fridges). Son was here and my husband asked him to see if the pool water felt colder - no, no it doesn't - remember the gulf waters were 90 degrees, so the energy and moisture Harvey sucked up on it's journey was very warm.

I heard Lufkin is fixing to get bonked - you in Piney Woods area? Be safe and watch those waters - don't even drive thru puddles!

[video=twitter;901567341825323010]https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/901567341825323010[/video]

[video=twitter;901567341825323010]https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/901567341825323010[/video]

Ya'll in Texas call that a "storm cloud"?

SMH, and most grateful to be anywhere but Texas.

Stay safe!

Hmmmm... If Lufkin is about to get it then we probably will too. Tornado hit Katy! I lost the internet for a few minutes just now.

Thanks for blowing Otis's pic up Pops! He sure is cute, and smart!!

I'm glad you've got power BFMD! Rain is definitely coming down harder now!

Hi Coastal! Now that's a twister! Run for the bathroom!

A storm chaser stopped for gas and a lost dog jumped into his vehicle. He tweeted out a video asking people to pass it around to help find his owners because he was on his way to get his dogs and couldn't keep him.(Dog is laying in the back seat looking sad/lonely/scared) Also, dog had no chip in him.

It appears he may have found his owner's and is on the way to take him there... on his next video he is driving and he calls the dog by his name, Cash, and the dog starts licking him on his face and neck. :loveyou::heartbeat::heartluv:

[video=twitter;901565764313993216]https://twitter.com/aaronjayjack/status/901565764313993216[/video]

AWwwww! Cash is so cute! He looks like a bluetick hound. I'll take him!

[video=twitter;901455919577526272]https://twitter.com/rgaut999/status/901455919577526272[/video]

but i also see plenty still up though. maybe those "flattened" were not homes but were empty lots?

[video=twitter;901584630704418816]https://twitter.com/kiii3news/status/901584630704418816[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard