Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
but i also see plenty still up though. maybe those "flattened" were not homes but were empty lots?
I can't speak for this particular video but I have seen reports by media and LE saying that mobile home parks have been demolished.

Twitter campaign to find the owner of the dog left chained to a telephone pole.

NatPoliceAssoc‏ @NatPoliceAssoc 2h2 hours ago
More
Dog abandoned in TX as flood waters rise around him - saved by photographer- if you can ID the owner report to PD.

In Roman Forest, Texas, about 150 miles north of Victoria, the police chief minced no words when it came to animal abusers.

'I promise you, that I will hold anyone accountable that unlawfully restrains their dog in extreme weather conditions,' Chief Stephen Carlisle said in a statement on Friday.

'Dogs are your family members too.'

Carlisle pointed out there is a specific state law that prohibits leaving a dog tied up outside in any extreme weather conditions, including under a hurricane or tropical storm warning.

'Please do not keep your family members tied to a rope or chain' the police department in Montgomery County said on Facebook. 'It is against the law to keep a dog on a chain during extreme weather conditions.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Texas-flood-waters-rise.html#ixzz4quoUfOih
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I hope they find the b@*****s!

here in central texas and we just got a tiny bit of harvey but might some more of whats left over tonight. then that be probably be it

I have an insurance question for anyone here who lives where hurricanes are part of your state's weather history. I've lived in Michigan my entire life where we don't have such a threat. Yes, we can have harsh winters with bitter cold, lots of snow, ice storms, but really severe weather episodes are rare. There is an occasional tornado, and we've had some damaging wind storms, but nothing that is predictable or occurring on a regular basis.

Does standard homeowner's insurance cover hurricane damage, or do you have to purchase a specific policy to make sure you are able to renovate, restore, replace your home and property?

These days it's something like coastal counties can purchase hurricane/wind coverage through the Texas Windpool. Subsequent layers have a higher deductible (I think ours is double) for named storm coverage. Flood is separate and is brokered through major carriers but if covered by the federal government NFIP.

9 hours later and we are back online! Ladies and gentlemen, please give a heartfelt round of applause to the brave men and women of NUECES Electric Coop. Especially Ingrid who had to take all those calls this morning. Additionally, I would like to thank the proprietor of the Racetrack Gas and Mini Mart for being the only purveyor in town to open his shop doors - which nearly caused a riot - but he handled it very well (and I was glad I was on the inside when he finally had to lock the doors. No predictions for how long our good fortune will last ( electric or otherwise)! Lets just enjoy it while we can!

Many thanks to all of you who suffered my maniacal posting yesterday and today - it gave me an outlet for our fear and concern and kept the worst of the jitters at bay. I really, really, appreciate each one of you who continue to ride this merry (not) disaster to ground with those of us out here. Additionally in case you are wondering - I kept typing NUECES in all caps because both my phone and computer insist on correcting it to nieces - I have several (all lovely) of those but they have nothing to do with my county.

Peace to those who still have a long way to go. Thanks, again, friends. Do not underestimate your the effects of your efforts and kindness - it's meant the world to me (pretty much was my whole world there for awhile).

BFMD
Northwest Corpus Christi, Texas Northwestern NUECES county

You are quite welcome!

Here is the latest from NOAA weather: http://www.weather.gov/hgx/

Snipped from above link at 4:50 PDT:

The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Central Fort Bend County in southeastern Texas...
Southeastern Waller County in southeastern Texas...
West central Harris County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 715 PM CDT.

* At 644 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located near Fairchilds, or near Rosenberg, moving north at 30
mph.

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

[video=twitter;901540493573664768]https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/901540493573664768[/video]

Twitter campaign to find the owner of the dog left chained to a telephone pole.

NatPoliceAssoc‏ @NatPoliceAssoc 2h2 hours ago
More
Dog abandoned in TX as flood waters rise around him - saved by photographer- if you can ID the owner report to PD.

In Roman Forest, Texas, about 150 miles north of Victoria, the police chief minced no words when it came to animal abusers.

'I promise you, that I will hold anyone accountable that unlawfully restrains their dog in extreme weather conditions,' Chief Stephen Carlisle said in a statement on Friday.

'Dogs are your family members too.'

Carlisle pointed out there is a specific state law that prohibits leaving a dog tied up outside in any extreme weather conditions, including under a hurricane or tropical storm warning.

'Please do not keep your family members tied to a rope or chain' the police department in Montgomery County said on Facebook. 'It is against the law to keep a dog on a chain during extreme weather conditions.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Texas-flood-waters-rise.html#ixzz4quoUfOih
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I hope they find the b@*****s!

I hope they find them too. I'm sorry for causing any distress posting the photos of the dogs tied up earlier. I appreciate it is a desperate situation but I just cannot comprehend leaving your pet tied up alone with a strong possibility they will die.

[video=twitter;901593969074872322]https://twitter.com/JasonP_KVUE/status/901593969074872322[/video]

I hope they find them too. I'm sorry for causing any distress posting the photos of the dogs tied up earlier. I appreciate it is a desperate situation but I just cannot comprehend leaving your pet tied up alone with a strong possibility they will die.

You have nothing to be sorry for Greg! I am glad you brought it to my attention! Thank you! I looked at the article and the other pics too! I wish I had an ark for all those abandoned! I love them all! Like the police chief said, they are your family members too!

[video=twitter;901597770779418624]https://twitter.com/aaronjayjack/status/901597770779418624[/video]

OMG! They are selling cases of water for $99. :jawdrop: I guess there is nothing like a natural disaster to bring out the best in some people!!!

You have nothing to be sorry for Greg! I am glad you brought it to my attention! Thank you! I looked at the article and the other pics too! I wish I had an ark for all those abandoned! I love them all! Like the police chief said, they are your family members too!

I agree with Bootsctr. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Greg. That anyone could do that to a helpless animal is heartbreaking and it is so frustrating being so far away and unable to just go and save those pups.

OMG! They are selling cases of water for $99. :jawdrop: I guess there is nothing like a natural disaster to bring out the best in some people!!!

NO EXCUSE for that! So unfair. Where's the compassion that helps people through this?

ETA: Please keep checking http://www.weather.gov/hgx/ This website will give you the best visual "summary" of watches and warnings. Several tornado warnings have come and gone; they keep popping up. Same with flash flood warnings. The Weather Channel has too many adds floating around, and you need several clicks to get the info. you want.

Greg: You have a huge, huge heart. As with so many of us, we are animal lovers and can't bear the site, much less the thought, of animal cruelty.

Say what you will about social media (love/hate?); I'm glad to see there is a Twitter campaign to find the [SARCASM]owner[/SARCASM].

Hi BetteDavisEyes - nice to see you again - Texan, former Illinoisan and Michigander (FIP) - well now, let me tell you about insurance down in these parts - its hella expensive. Coastal area (counties) homes are subject to a wind storm certification in order to carry wind insurance (aka hurricane) - if you have a mortgage you have it. It requires an inspection by a certified engineer to obtain so most homes marketed via traditional real estate methods are subject to this. Without it you can't get insured. Its very expensive, and as a result, many folks whodon't carry a traditional mortgage (owned or other arrangements) go without it. I have a couple folks in my family who don't carry it; we do, but oddly enough I had this year been contemplating dropping it due to the expense. HA HA! Even then, previous experience with insurers after a major wind event demonstrate their reluctance to pay out or pay much - so its a conundrum. Its kinda like flood insurance (which is also separate) - expensive to get and hard to make pay. But I guess, all we can do is the best we can. I'm sure we will see how that works out with our friends to our immediate north Aransas and Rockport and others. Our homeowners (content, theft, wind etc) runs about 5K annually - I think it may have been around a grand in Illinois and a couple hundred in MI - we have a nice(and actually larger) home and property here - but market value in TX doesn't compare to suburban Cook county in Illinois so dollar for dollar against the value (and on the face alone) its a huge huge increase. Maybe we can get and insurance pro to weigh in too. Hope that helps

Anoher fellow Michigander here, BFMD. No wonder I have taken such a sisterly concern for you. :highfive: Nice having your power back so quickly, hope it stays.

yikes on the cost for insurance there. Michigan may be cheaper because we rarely have these catastrophic events.

Hmmmm... If Lufkin is about to get it then we probably will too. Tornado hit Katy! I lost the internet for a few minutes just now.

Thanks for blowing Otis's pic up Pops! He sure is cute, and smart!!

I'm glad you've got power BFMD! Rain is definitely coming down harder now!

Boots, you be ready!! I am not through worrying over ALL of you.... I can't afford too many sleepless nights. Keep us posted as long as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600