Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #8 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. I lost one of my brothers (I'm one of 6 boys) to a drunk driver when I was only 8yo and lost my father the following year just after I turned 9yo. It's interesting to me that so many people can recall events from so early in their lives ( a person just mentioned recalling memories from 18months old) and I barely remember either of those events. I certainly remember the emotions, esp when my brother died but most of the events associated with either death are very hazy in my memory.
So sorry for your losses. Horrible. You are lucky that the memories are hazy. I’m 41 and still struggle every day. My brother who is 33 still has not visited our Father’s grave. Let’s hope for Mariah’s brothers that someday they will forget what they endured but fondly remember their baby sister.

Can I ask where you are getting this information, you say,In fact, we lose about 60% of our early childhood memories by the age of 9yo.... This is not fact at all. I would really like to know where this comes from.

I disbelieve that too. I have plenty of memories of my childhood before age nine. Sometimes I may need a reminder when my sister says, 'Remember, when such and such happened?' and I do.

I understand. I lost one of my brothers (I'm one of 6 boys) to a drunk driver when I was only 8yo and lost my father the following year just after I turned 9yo. It's interesting to me that so many people can recall events from so early in their lives ( a person just mentioned recalling memories from 18months old) and I barely remember either of those events. I certainly remember the emotions, esp when my brother died but most of the events associated with either death are very hazy in my memory.
A couple of sources on adults generally being able to recall back to 3 to 4 years of age.

Bauer, Patricia J.; Larkina, Marina (2014). "Childhood amnesia in the making: Different distributions of autobiographical memories in children and adults"

Joseph, R (2003). "Emotional Trauma and Childhood Amnesia". Consciousness & Emotion.

It also varies according to gender and culture. Females tend to have earlier memories.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can I ask where you are getting this information, you say,In fact, we lose about 60% of our early childhood memories by the age of 9yo.... This is not fact at all. I would really like to know where this comes from.

Ask you shall receive :)

Bauer, PJ and Larkina, M.The onset of childhood amnesia in childhood: a prospective investigation of the course and determinants of forgetting of early-life events.
Memory. 2014;22(8):907-24.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24236647

Frankland PW, Köhler S, Josselyn SA. Hippocampal neurogenesis and forgetting. Trends Neurosci. 2013 Sep;36(9):497-503

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...dat]+AND+Josselyn+S[author]&cmd=detailssearch

Nov 15 @5:34pm she shared the CPR video. (the video was very popular on fb-I recall multiple people sharing it recently)

Nov 15 @9:18pm a "Tag a Cat lover video"

Nov 16 @9:07am one of those "I Doubt Nobody can get 100% Right" how well do you know someone memes

Nov 16 @3:10pm a meme from Relationship Rules stating; "2016 & 2017 has been the most confusing, challenging, emotional, depressing, hardest, eye opening and unforgettable years of my life"

Nov 17 @5:42pm a meme from Relief stating; "The sad moment when you realize how alone you actually are. No one ever messages you on Facebook first or texts you first or anything. So it gets to the point where you don't want to put in effort with people who don't put in any effort for you, so you end up spending your life at home, never going anywhere."

Nov 17 @5:46pm; She shared that she had completed a new Crime Scene on the game Criminal Case

Nov 18 @9:33pm; a Meme about what ADHD is and isn't from The Truth about ADHD

Nov 19 @2:55pm. the "What's gone is gone" meme that has been shown in the theads already from Life Learned Feelings

Then she shares random stuff, della Reese's death, 2000's love songs, people paying others' bills, govt hiding cancer cure until

Nov 23 @4:43pm she made a post with a Facebook background wishing her family & friends in KY a HT saying she "loves and misses ya'll".

Nov 23 @4:44pm; the Miss you Mamo post sharing a meme posted the year before with the angel wings quote from My Guardian Angel

Nov 26 @9:09pm, some video- appears to be a funny prank or accident, etc from HyTide

After that are 3 posts about Mariah missing until account deactivated.

It's so weird. This FB could belong to nearly any of my FB family members, or friends. Once more, out of everyone, I believe those boys. If not for them, I'd still be wondering about some things. I mean, the pictures are not really out of the ordinary either when you look at the whole lot of them at the same time. If you cherry pick them, yes, I could find some that can make me look twice, but I can probably do that with anyone's photo album, including my own. That's what makes this so horrifying. They look like any one we'd talk to in the grocery or sit next to at the school play. The last post about missing Mariah, with "...mommy loves you praying your safe and i will see you and your beautiful smile." That's just disturbing on so many levels.

The Triad is a geographical area of NC as posted earlier. It's a common term for people describing that area here in NC.

I agree and it's likely Mariah was not as verbal as other children. At 3, my daughter would have arguments with me about what she wanted to wear that would last 15 minutes. But even if Mariah wasn't verbal with words, there had to have been cries or behaviors that would alert a good mother. Were there sores, was Mariah extra clingy, not wanting to be left alone with EK?? I just don't believe for a second that she had no idea.

JMO
I totally agree with you. I lived in mobile home for many years and I never knock anyone who does because at the time it served a very important purpose as our first "house". But one thing for sure about them is if she was living in the same mobile home as he was then she knew. There is very limited space and the walls are typically very thin especially in the older models. The heck with tornadoes, even normal Thunder storms had us worried the walls were going to cave in.

The bottom line is she knew whatever he was doing if she was in that same mobile home with him.

I know it's remarkable. I would believe they were manufactured memories, except that my mother never spoke of that day again. A few years ago I sat down and told her what I remembered and she was floored. But it also explained so much.

Is that the only thing you remember from that age? I wish I could remember more of my earlier memories.

Ask you shall receive :)

Bauer, PJ and Larkina, M.The onset of childhood amnesia in childhood: a prospective investigation of the course and determinants of forgetting of early-life events.
Memory. 2014;22(8):907-24.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24236647

Frankland PW, Köhler S, Josselyn SA. Hippocampal neurogenesis and forgetting. Trends Neurosci. 2013 Sep;36(9):497-503

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...dat]+AND+Josselyn+S[author]&cmd=detailssearch
The same literature still says:

"Within the memory literature, a robust finding is of childhood amnesia: a relative paucity among adults for autobiographical or personal memories from the first 3 to 4 years of life, and from the first 7 years, a smaller number of memories than would be expected based on normal forgetting. Childhood amnesia is observed in spite of strong evidence that during the period eventually obscured by the amnesia, children construct and preserve autobiographical memories."

So one of your own sources most definitely does not say that memories are generally unretrievable at the age of the childhood memory I explained. It does say there are few memories from that age, but that's neither here nor there.

The issue is more complicated than that. It depends on types of memories, gender, culture, etc.

The point is, I have plenty of reason to worry for the 5 year old.

I'm one of those people 
If you want to know anything and everything about me, just visit my FB.

It makes me start to hyperventilate, just thinking about the words, "no security". :laughing: Retired I.T.

Is that the only thing you remember from that age? I wish I could remember more of my earlier memories.
I don't really know because many of the other things I remember are possibly not actual memories, but knowledge of events combined with pictures I've seen.

What I describe here is a memory that cannot be explained by any of that, one that has remained unchanged my entire life, and one that is visceral.

The Triad is a geographical area of NC as posted earlier. It's a common term for people describing that area here in NC.
Well, this is a relief.

So sorry for your losses. Horrible. You are lucky that the memories are hazy. I’m 41 and still struggle every day. My brother who is 33 still has not visited our Father’s grave. Let’s hope for Mariah’s brothers that someday they will forget what they endured but fondly remember their baby sister.

Thank you. Yes, I do consider myself lucky in that regard. Fortunately I have a lot of good memories of my dad and brother. I thank my mother and other brothers for that, they never let me forget either of them as I grew up, always telling stories and reminding me of events. In an odd twist, I think my dad knew he was going to die. In that last year he spent A LOT of time doing things with me, taking me places, including me in things he normally wouldn't have.

Sorry, this is totally off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member