Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Thank you for the welcome - I've lurked here for a while, mostly in the unidentified forums.

This has devastated all the hockey fans in the online communities I've been in; these kids (and they are kids!) have so much promise, even if only a few will make it to the NHL.

The major junior fans in Portland are raising money for the families of the Humboldt Broncos during the playoff series against Everett; Everett is dedicating the 50/50 raffle funds to the team and auctioning off star goalie Carter Hart's World Junior Championship sweater for the Broncos.

I first heard of this tragedy last night but have simply been unable to comment today. Words just fail at times. This is one of those times.

:rose: Heartfelt thoughts and most sincere condolences to all the victims, their loved ones and friends in their grief. :rose:

“A doctor who treated the victims of a tragic crash that killed 15 junior hockey players in Canada has compared the horrific scene to what he witnessed during his time in Syria.

Hassan Masri, an emergency room doctor at Saskatoon's Royal University Hospital who has done work in the war-torn nation, said the crash reminded him of the devastation caused by airstrikes.

'I was exposed to images that I still remember until today, and frankly what happened last night really brought all these images back,' Masri told the Star.
'It's never normal to see young people injured in a horrible way like that, and those images will, I think, be in my mind for a very long time, and potentially, forever.'

Masri called the night the most 'the longest, worst and most tragic night of my career' on a Facebook post.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...5-reminded-airstrike-Syria.html#ixzz5C3o75UrY

Thank you to Mr. Masri and all his colleagues who did and are doing everything they can to help the victims.

I am so sorry the death toll has risen to 15. I cannot imagine the pain of losing three sons at the one time. My heart breaks for all the parents and families.

Nicklen 35 & 335

The trees on the left is a home on the corner. Reading articles that truck w/ peat moss was leaving carrot river with load heading to Alberta. He was not one of “their” drivers. Maybe unfamiliar with area. Appears truck was coming from the wooded area (335) which would probably had stop sign. Truck would probably have made a left (south) headed to Tisdale then west to Alberta. It also appears that truck had a extra half trailer.

it looks like such a nice drive.... :tears: the stop signs are on 335 (tractor trailer). bus was on 35.

attachment.php

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/SK...2!3m1!1s0x52fde649dbe97077:0x23d0db9d793a946d

Humboldt tragedy hits home with Red Wings

Detroit — There were a lot of important games to be played in the hockey world Saturday, on all levels.
But all anyone could think about was the terrible tragedy in northeastern Saskatchewan, where a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos junior team to a playoff game collided with a tractor-trailer, killing 14 people aboard the bus.

The tragedy resonated with Red Wings players, all hockey players, because of how much time they’ve spent on busses, traveling long distances to the next tournament, next game.

“Teams around the world, in every league, you go by bus,” forward Gustav Nyquist said. “It’s part of being on a team. A lot of team bonding happens on the bus. It’s kind of your safe zone, that’s what it feels like when you are on (on the bus).” ...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...tragedy-hits-home-red-wings-players/33640581/

Could it be that the truck pulled out in front of the bus? There is a group of trees obscuring the view of traffic travelling north. The front end of the bus is destroyed, impact severe enough to overturn a trailer.

I come from Bobby Orr's hometown. Hockey is life. This type of tragedy has widespread and lasting effects.

Could it be that the truck pulled out in front of the bus? There is a group of trees obscuring the view of traffic travelling north. The front end of the bus is destroyed, impact severe enough to overturn a trailer.

I come from Bobby Orr's hometown. Hockey is life. This type of tragedy has widespread and lasting effects.

There needs to be a thorough investigation but the early reports were that the truck never stopped at the sign. I sympathise with the truck driver as I would not like to be him knowing 15 young men had died and more injured in an accident I was involved in. I wouldn’t be surprised if charges are filed at some point after an investigation has concluded. But right now it’s important to mourn those who have died and help their families and the injured get through the devastating loss.

Not sure of this but a Daily Mail article wrote it in the context of something like the bus driver hit ................

but i would think with the few pics we are talking some serious speed on both vehicles that article also mentioned the driver had questioned and released

anyone seen anything regarding speeds??

man that is one mess tho

it sort of hits me that this area might be prone to going really fast - like out in the bonnies no traffic enforcement ets

surprised speed has not addressed?

some serious impact

intense

There needs to be a thorough investigation but the early reports were that the truck never stopped at the sign. I sympathise with the truck driver as I would not like to be him knowing 15 young men had died and more injured in an accident I was involved in. I wouldn’t be surprised if charges are filed at some point after an investigation has concluded. But right now it’s important to mourn those who have died and help their families and the injured get through the devastating loss.

Hi Greg driver is getting mental health treatment

Daily Mail

I'm sure there will be a very thorough investigation done. It may be a bit before we learn anything more. Kinda how Canada rolls. Given it's early in and focus now is on the deceased and the injured. As it should be.

what does billeted mean?
I don't know why it happens in other areas but in Ontario/Quebec the age regulations make hockey hard for certain ages so kids from Quebec will live in Ontario to play hockey and go to school and live with families.

Basically an in-country exchange student.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is a picture earlier in the thread that is clearer, but it looks like the front end of the bus is above where the two men are standing. In the other picture you can see that there are blankets, pieces of luggage, and some seats from the bus. There are also 15 yellow markers on the ground.

RIP to all those that were lost and prayers for healing, hope and comfort for everyone in pain. I wish there was something else to do help, but all I can do from here is donate to the Go Fund Me.

wont cut and paste

eage article says : after a truck collided with........

Here's an aerial view of the crash scene that shows the junction/intersection.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/n...es_with_junior_hockey_team___s_bus_in_Canada/

Man

I see tire marks on the right coming in but everything is such a mess

EWNS has evaded me for life!

How do you guys think it happened?

The semi was coming from three clock (?) was the bus going or coming from noon or 6 oclcok?

Can any of you figure out anything out from the pics ?

Was bus hit on right coming from 6 o'clock to noon or was it coming from noon to 6 o'clock and hit on the left if that makes any sense

trying to get some grasp of the accident sequence - how did everything end up where it is ?

I am hung up on speed of both

Devastating post by a billet mom.
--

Rene Cannon
‏
@renecannon
7h7 hours ago

Goodbye my sweet sons ������

DaM2qWvVAAE-2or.jpg

828 replies 2,431 retweets 12,949 likes
Reply 828 Retweet 2.4K Liked 13K Direct message

:tears:

Man

I see tire marks on the right coming in but everything is such a mess

EWNS has evaded me for life!

How do you guys think it happened?

The semi was coming from three clock (?) was the bus going or coming from noon or 6 oclcok?

Can any of you figure out anything out from the pics ?

Was bus hit on right coming from 6 o'clock to noon or was it coming from noon to 6 o'clock and hit on the left if that makes any sense

trying to get some grasp of the accident sequence - how did everything end up where it is ?

I am hung up on speed of both

Hi C. Everything I've read indicates the semi was coming from the east (3 o'clock). And the bus was coming from the south (6 o'clock).

HTH's

...Around 5 p.m. Friday, the truck was heading west at a highway intersection south of Nipawin when it collided with the bus. The force of the crash sent both vehicles into the ditch at the northwest corner of the intersection.

Aerial footage showed the bus on its side, its roof peeled back and its front end destroyed.

The trailer of the truck lay nearby in a shattered mess, with bags of its peat moss cargo scattered all around. The tractor part of the truck was intact, lying on its passenger side.

The tractor-trailer would have had to yield to a stop sign before crossing over the highway that the hockey bus was travelling on. There is a stand of trees on the southeast corner of the intersection, limiting visibility of the approach on both roads.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-223127-4-.htm#223127

There is a stand of trees on the southeast corner of the intersection, limiting visibility of the approach on both roads.

:yeahthat:

:gaah:

GRRRRRRRR.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member