Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Heartbreaking. The truck driver was not adequately trained and was clearly in over his head. While my heart hurts for the deceased and injured victims, I think Sidhu's guilt and 8 yrs in prison is more than enough punishment. I don't think he should be deported after he is released from prison.

Driver who caused deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash denied bid to stay in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...-crash-denied-bid-to-stay-in-canada-1.6378794

According to your link, the title of the article seems a little misleading as no deportation order has been issued and the IRB has not yet held his admissibility hearing, a further step in the process.

“The former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has been denied his first bid to stay in Canada.

A senior communications advisor for Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) of Canada confirms that Jaskirat Singh Sidhu will now undergo an admissibility hearing.

A lawyer for Sidhu sent paperwork to the Canada Border Services Agency in 2021 arguing that Sidhu should not be deported once his sentence has been served.

Under federal law, a permanent resident convicted of a crime that holds a maximum sentence of at least 10 years is deported, with few avenues for appeal.

In these cases, the CBSA can consider an exemption based on personal circumstances, or defer the case to the IRB for an admissibility hearing.

Anna Pape, spokesperson for IRB, confirmed Sidhu's case has been referred to the IRB and a hearing to determine his admissibility will be scheduled. There is no deportation order for Sidhu at this time…”

I don't understand why this guy is getting punished so severely for a clear accident. Time and time again I read about cases where someone hits & kills another person (or multiple people), whether it be cyclists, pedestrians, or other drivers. 9 times out of 10, the person isn't punished at all -- maybe a $50 fine at most. There was just a case a couple miles from my house where a guy ran over a tow truck operator who was in the street helping with a car accident that had happened earlier. The driver violated a law and didn't move out of the way of the tow truck worker and instead headed straight & hit & killed him. Was this guy punished? No. He just got a traffic citation. No license revocation, no jail time, nothing. When I made a comment on a neighborhood forum that I thought the punishment should have been more severe, I was attacked, and everyone said "It's punishment enough for the poor man that he has to live with the knowledge that he killed someone." They actually seemed to feel more sorry for the killer than the victim!! But that's the usual argument -- that the killer has suffered enough from the trauma of the accident -- and I don't agree because we shouldn't project how we would feel onto strangers. So it's so weird to me that in this Canadian hockey team case, the attitude has totally shifted from shielding the killer from responsibility to totally crucifying him (not referring to the attitude on Websleuths, but the way he has been treated in society & court of law). I don't get it.

I hope he's never allowed to drive a truck or other commercial vehicle ever again. He blew through a stop sign, in spite of many warnings it was ahead. The public has a right to be protected from having to share the road with negligent drivers in vehicles weighing as much as 70 or 80,000 lbs.

I don't understand why this guy is getting punished so severely for a clear accident. Time and time again I read about cases where someone hits & kills another person (or multiple people), whether it be cyclists, pedestrians, or other drivers. 9 times out of 10, the person isn't punished at all -- maybe a $50 fine at most. There was just a case a couple miles from my house where a guy ran over a tow truck operator who was in the street helping with a car accident that had happened earlier. The driver violated a law and didn't move out of the way of the tow truck worker and instead headed straight & hit & killed him. Was this guy punished? No. He just got a traffic citation. No license revocation, no jail time, nothing. When I made a comment on a neighborhood forum that I thought the punishment should have been more severe, I was attacked, and everyone said "It's punishment enough for the poor man that he has to live with the knowledge that he killed someone." They actually seemed to feel more sorry for the killer than the victim!! But that's the usual argument -- that the killer has suffered enough from the trauma of the accident -- and I don't agree because we shouldn't project how we would feel onto strangers. So it's so weird to me that in this Canadian hockey team case, the attitude has totally shifted from shielding the killer from responsibility to totally crucifying him (not referring to the attitude on Websleuths, but the way he has been treated in society & court of law). I don't get it.
I agree he has been punished enough, and I can't see the value of having him sit in prison for more years except that some victims want to see him there. I've never seen anyone own up to his crime as quickly and thoroughly as this man. He definitely has shown remorse. It was a crime though, not just a mere accident. He was not just your everyday driver; he was the operator of a big rig driving for a company, and as such was in a professional capacity behind the wheel. Therefore, he must be held to a higher standard. He blew through a stop sign, causing numerous deaths and injuries. In Canada, justice must not only be done, but it must also be seen to be done in the community where it occurred and, in a high-profile case like this, in the country. Some victims and families of the deceased have forgiven him; others want him to suffer longer. The day parole after some years served is trying to find a balance between these two sides.

Last edited:
<modsnip - race discussion removed>

There's also been a boom in Southeast Asian immigrants working in the trucking industry. They're willing to work the crappiest jobs for poor pay and fudge their reports for the chance to live here. I don't blame Sidhu for this, he was pushed onto the road before he was properly trained. It's easy for any of us born here to say that we'd never accept a job assignment we weren't completely prepared for, but if you're a white person in Sask your ancestors likely came over in the last ~125 years and we're not so removed from wanting to start a better life.

We also have a huge drinking and driving problem here. Our deputy Premier got caught driving drunk (2.5 times the legal limit!) while weaving through a construction zone during broad daylight driving a government vehicle and didn't see any jail time. We let that pass while this guy gets the book thrown at him? We had another high-profile case where a woman drinking and driving killed a family of 4 and only got 10 years (and was out after 6) and that was actually a heavy sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - race discussion removed>

There's also been a boom in Southeast Asian immigrants working in the trucking industry. They're willing to work the crappiest jobs for poor pay and fudge their reports for the chance to live here. I don't blame Sidhu for this, he was pushed onto the road before he was properly trained. It's easy for any of us born here to say that we'd never accept a job assignment we weren't completely prepared for, but if you're a white person in Sask your ancestors likely came over in the last ~125 years and we're not so removed from wanting to start a better life.

We also have a huge drinking and driving problem here. Our deputy Premier got caught driving drunk (2.5 times the legal limit!) while weaving through a construction zone during broad daylight driving a government vehicle and didn't see any jail time. We let that pass while this guy gets the book thrown at him? We had another high-profile case where a woman drinking and driving killed a family of 4 and only got 10 years (and was out after 6) and that was actually a heavy sentence.

Again, it probably has to do with the extreme hazard involved in the type of vehicle being operated unsafely. A bad driver in a large, loaded semi is capable of doing great harm. Even moreso when its a driver who is on the road 10 or 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, every week. It's a different level of risk and responsibility than the average citizen driving to work or to the store in their passenger vehicle. As citizens, we have the right to make our government regulate businesses so we can drive safely on public roads.

If he didn't have enough good judgment to refuse to drive when he wasn't fully trained, he is should never be allowed to operate a commercial vehicle again. Those are the rules of the industry. I'm sure he can find other employment in a field where he's not regularly putting the lives of innocent people at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, it probably has to do with the extreme hazard involved in the type of vehicle being operated unsafely. A bad driver in a large, loaded semi is capable of doing great harm. Even moreso when its a driver who is on the road 10 or 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, every week. It's a different level of risk and responsibility than the average citizen driving to work or to the store in their passenger vehicle. As citizens, we have the right to make our government regulate businesses so we can drive safely on public roads.

If he didn't have enough good judgment to refuse to drive when he wasn't fully trained, he is should never be allowed to operate a commercial vehicle again. Those are the rules of the industry. I'm sure he can find other employment in a field where he's not regularly putting the lives of innocent people at risk.

He was fully trained as far as requirements went at that time but it’s since been realized as a result of this tragedy that was far from adequate. I don’t think it’s fair that employees trying to make a living should be held responsible for lax focus on safety by a nation-wide industry in general.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back