CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Exeter Sun’s story about DeAngelo, with photo from 1973.
View attachment 133543

Heh. The guy on the right looks like the Zodiac composite from the Paul Stine murder. One could really let one's imagination run wild. EARONS and the Zodiac photos side by side in the Exeter Sun. :happydance:

But the photo of Deagnelo looks like a dead ringer for the composite of the Visalia Ransacker. The resemblance is uncanny. They really nailed it way back then. I can't believe nobody recognized him as a local cop. So many people saw the VR's face up close. Said he looked pasty and schoolboyish.

A homeless person will steal food if hungry-easily understood. Although, I have heard of teachers stealing for no halfway decent reason.

Why do people with more money than they can count steal a lipstick from CVS?
Purely speculation on my part but I believe JJD has bucked authority and the law most of his life.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have posted about it here before- methyl nonyl ketone is what was used to repel (not hurt) dogs, and sold in pet supply areas in Woolworths and hardware stores at that time period as indoor (and outdoor) repellant. Sniffing it would confuse your senses and make you gag and retreat. Very hard to describe the scent. Oily chemical peach and herbal- like rue. Not at all citric or spicy. I couldn’t describe it all until I found some on Amazon and researched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes! thank you!

Heh. The guy on the right looks like the Zodiac composite from the Paul Stine murder. One could really let one's imagination run wild. EARSON and the Zodiac photos side by side in the Exeter Sun. :happydance:

But the photo of Deagnelo looks like a dead ringer for the composite of the Visalia Ransacker. The resemblance is uncanny. They really nailed it way back then. I can't believe nobody recognized him as a local cop. So many people saw the VR's face up close. Said he looked pasty and schoolboyish.

Maybe they were friends. Wouldn't that freak ya out?

THIS. Exactly. We don't know much about Deangelo's wife of all those years, and I think it is totally offside to call her an "enabler" or whatever. Who knows what he put her through? Who knows how much control he exerted over her? Thanks for sharing your personal story.

Just to be very clear, I am not insinuating that DeAngelo's wife is an enabler. I am just expressing my curiosity as to how he was able to explain his absences from their home, which occurred late at night.

He apparently "researched" (spyed and stalked) his victims ahead of time as well. He had to have been away from home many evenings. Nobody, family or LE had any inkling of who he was until quite recently. It's an amazing and horrific story, one that I'm sure will be used to profile other serial killers.

yes! thank you!

If you google it, it makes sense- he could have sprayed it on his clothes to just stun and confuse any dog that ran up on him. (He did love the stun technique w people!) That would have given him time to kick them away or whatever. I think he studiously avoided larger dogs and was working on a way to shut them up. And you’d not smell it on him unless you were close to the sprayed area. He’d not have to bring it with him- as he already had his hands full w weapons. He wasn’t welding a can of pepper too.
What convinced me was how repulsive yet indescribable a couple
of the victims said it was. I never could describe it myself (and neither can most Amazon reviewers) until I looked up scientific sites for methyl nonyl ketone used in it. Went on the market in 66, we bought it in Woolworths as Indoor No! I think, from Hartz most likely. People would easily ID citrus, cinnamon or pepper. This methyl nonyl ketone is waxy, creamy w a chemically peach combined with herbal rue/ almost like violet, but not sweet or pleasant.

Just to be very clear, I am not insinuating that DeAngelo's wife is an enabler. I am just expressing my curiosity as to how he was able to explain his absences from their home, which occurred late at night.

He apparently "researched" (spyed and stalked) his victims ahead of time as well. He had to have been away from home many evenings. Nobody, family or LE had any inkling of who he was until quite recently. It's an amazing and horrific story, one that I'm sure will be used to profile other serial killers.

Overtime? And then after being fired, odd jobs and looking for work. Lots of men claim to be working late when they are really out having beers.

Source: they constantly ask me not to tell their busy industrious wives, who often know they’re at a bar anyway.
Very common w cops, LoL.

A surprising amount of serial killers seem to be married and able to hide their activities from their wives. I always assumed they married women who were very submissive and didn't ask any questions of the master of the house, but this wife doesn't sound at all like that.

If you google it, it makes sense- he could have sprayed it on his clothes to just stun and confuse any dog that ran up on him. (He did love the stun technique w people!) That would have given him time to kick them away or whatever. I think he studiously avoided larger dogs and was working on a way to shut them up. And you’d not smell it on him unless you were close to the sprayed area. He’d not have to bring it with him- as he already had his hands full w weapons. He wasn’t welding a can of pepper too.
What convinced me was how repulsive yet indescribable a couple
of the victims said it was. I never could describe it myself (and neither can most Amazon reviewers) until I looked up scientific sites for methyl nonyl ketone used in it. Went on the market in 66, we bought it in Woolworths as Indoor No! I think, from Hartz most likely. People would easily ID citrus, cinnamon or pepper. This methyl nonyl ketone is waxy, creamy w a chemically peach combined with herbal rue/ almost like violet, but not sweet or pleasant.

makes sense to me. I hope LE investiigated this as a souce of smell.

We now know they called it mace spray. I'm surprised this was sold at a hardware store. I was thinking more along the line of a product such as scram that keeps dogs from spraying your shrubs.

DeAngelo’s career in policing came crashing down when he was arrested at a Sacramento County store in August 1979 and charged with shoplifting a hammer and a can of mace dog repellent.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/article/4/29/18/monster-auburn’s-midst

I'm more concerned about a warrant. I haven't heard a peep about them having one. I can't imagine they didn't but with what grounds did they use?

From what I understand California has a couple of newer laws that allow broader searches for family and DNA sample collection. A victims brother lobbied for it! And one law had been tested up to the Cal Supreme Court. Other states are more restrictive. They know the parameters well, as these laws helped broaden their investigation.

I’m convinced the strange odor was this dog repellant stuff w keytones I remember being very popular. Pepper spray wasn’t popularly marketed as a dog repellant, it would be labeled pepper spray.
It has an odd, oily chemical peach/ rue smell that just makes you recoil- but doesn’t seem dirty or organic. It was marketed to get pets away from certain spots- curtains, couches and rugs. It was sold starting the late 60’s and I remember we tried to use it to train our puppy who peed once indoors. We kids mostly used it like chloroform to torture each other, you’d gag. It’s said to confuse and repel dogs, and it worked on our dog and on us! It’s still sold on Amazon as dog repellant.

I do recall reading in some of the rape cases, the victims specifically said he smelled of BO and bad breath. In their investigations, LE assumed that he parked quite a distance from many of his victims homes. In one case, he stashed a bicycle nearby. He was very careful to avoid having his car identified by LE. All that walking and biking to get to creeper spots and crime scenes probably made him pretty sweaty and smelly.

My ex dressed in his supermarket uniform for two whole weeks,and 'went to work'. Until payday when he knew he couldn't explain why he won't be getting a paycheck.He down played getting fired for shoplifting.
He always had an explanation for everything,or down played everything he did wrong. He'd get really scary if I pressed him, or if I wouldn't buy his story. He would also play the guilt game on me, how dare I suspect him of anything bad.He's such a good guy. He was very adept at making me question my own beliefs. Everyone else has it wrong,everyone is mistaken.
Telling me right to my face I can't smell alcohol on his breath, and I dare not press him on it.
How I survived without killing myself Is due to my love for our kids.
Who were finally able to see He's not the godlike super hero he brainwashed them into believing he is. They have nothing to do with him now.

Thank you so much for the personal, real world example. I am so glad that you got away from this manipulative jerk.

THIS. Exactly. We don't know much about Deangelo's wife of all those years, and I think it is totally offside to call her an "enabler" or whatever. Who knows what he put her through? Who knows how much control he exerted over her? Thanks for sharing your personal story.
I know.
Holy Derpin Hammer and dog repellant Batman.
Ok Ok Ok. I get it now. Looking back after five years of being free of my ex.
This brings it all back.
I can see how Deangelo. was able to fool even other Leo's.
He so very adept at the game. So insidious. So good at the sherade.
Well hit me with a hammer,and cover me in dog repellant.
I stand corrected. :*(

I know there is much speculation that he tried to steal these items for the purpose of using them in murders and rapes, but perhaps he stole these items because it gave him a real thrill? We know he was very good at getting away with murder. Perhaps he was also very good at getting away with shoplifting, so he was only caught once?

Makes me wonder if he is also kleptomaniac. It's a relatively rare condition, but experts in the area now believe that kleptomania may be connected to personality disorders and certain mental illnesses. I'm not sure whether this potential connection had been been made at the time of his shoplifting incident.

I’m going to admit I had a kleptomaniac streak in high school. My family had a lot of recent tragedy, and associated fallout. Three of my siblings had died, and a close cousin was murdered within 4 years.
It started when I admired a poster in the subway, and a friend just ripped it down and handed it to me. It was a huge thrill. That was Elvis Costello for WPLJ radio in NYC. Unfortunately it was a series of cool looking ads, and I had to have Blondie, and Billy Joel.... and no one in my family questioned where I got them.

I started stealing clothes and keeping the money I was given for clothes to party with. I was poor and rationalized I was just stealing from companies and never people. But it became compulsive- I’d steal gifts for people and things that I didn’t need at all but I didn’t stop until I was arrested.

So yeah, it was an addictive thrill and I escalated. I took huge risks. I was a bit of a nihilist thinking life was deeply unfair and this was small potatoes. I was young and stupid, and I’m glad I stopped, even though it was awful being arrested. Never did it again. (Unless ashtrays count?)
I do regret it was pre Keith Haring’s subway posters though, because I would be a millionaire right now.

He certainly loved Bonnie if what we know is true and was mad at her, thus the statements of hate towards her for ending their engagement. Nothing was compulsive, he was quite methodical. He also loved his kids, the "two good ones." He was capable of love despite his psychopathic tendencies. Perhaps he loved his new family and was trying to stop when they bought the new house in 1980.

No, he didn't LOVE Bonnie. If he loved her, and yet she married someone else, he would have been sad and regretful, sure, but not enraged. Love doesn't turn to hate. The rage comes because he didn't love her; rather he thought he owned her and was entitled to her. An object that was rightfully his was stolen from him, hence the hate.

Similarly, he didn't LOVE his daughters. They were beautiful and brilliant and accomplished, hence he saw them as possessions also, ones that reflected well upon him. That's not love.

And then there are some families who just don't care. I know virtually nothing about my parents' lives before I was born. Not every family is obsessed with geneology or family tree either. I have 3 siblings, and I can tell you for a fact that none of us has ever spent any time on ancestry.com or similar. In fact, when the discussion comes up (usually due to an ancestry.com commercial on TV) it is only for one of us to comment something like "Why do people obsess over ancestry like that?" I've heard my parents' siblings sometimes make the same off-handed comment. It seems to be a trait in some families (like mine) not to care about ancestry all that much. As kids, we didn't even have an ethnicity growing up. I still don't know what to say when people ask my background. I just dismiss the question with "It's scattered." I'm not adopted. I know who my parents and grandparents are/were. I know the names of one or two great grandparents. That's it. It's just not a big deal in some families.

Very true. When I was 15, I flipped on a TV pro football game. On seeing that one of the announcers had the same name as our family, I mentioned it to my dad. He said, "Yeah, he's our cousin." First and last time Dad ever mentioned him.

You don't need a warrant to use a public database with discarded DNA. They would have needed a warrant if 1) They had used a private site like Ancestry.com or other, 2) If they wanted a direct cheek swab from JJD.

They didn't use discarded DNA to upload . They used the DNA from one of the CS to upload to GED match. They then had to do the geneology work to come up with a number of suspects who they ruled out by various means. Then they got to JJD and obtained his discarded DNA which matched the CS DNA. Bingo. Personally, I think we will see this happening a lot more.

It's not just shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent. It's that it happened in the same area where 50 rapes and home invasions had occured. It's that he had to be restrained and tied to a chair. It's that he wad a cop with access to the same kind of revolvers used in the crimes. That in combination with not visibly checking and identifying every attendee at the town hall makes for terrible, shoddy police/detective work. The guy was sitting there at the town hall while at least 3 or 4 sketches that looked pretty darn close to his resemblance were displayed up on stage. Did they not even consider that the perp might attend? And no one in the police force recognized him as being the cop fired for shoplifting those items? They didn't go through and and do recognizance on all the 5' 10", 165 lbs, blue eyed, 30 year old men who showed up at the meeting?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Yep. If detailed and somewhat accurate (in retrospect) theories posted online were evidence of guilty knowledge, half of us who post here would be in jail now.

It's not the accuracy of the theories that is disturbing. It's the aggrandizement and sympathetic pity for the perpetrator. This poster seems to feel about DeAngelo the way DeAngelo probably feels about himself: Ruthless tactical genius in the military! Boo-hoo bullies! Boo-hoo Bonnie! Works harder and suffers more than anybody else ever! Refuses to be passively humiliated again! The most dangerous criminal on record is born!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard