CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, May 4th:
*Motion Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - Joseph James DeAngelo (72) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea.
Also faces charges of 2 counts of murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. Next hearing 5/14.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather's) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
JJD's mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. Responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. It's also believed the serial killer also slew Alexandria Manning, Dr. Robert Offerman, Patrice Harrington, Keith Harrington, Manuela Witthuhn, Cheri Domingo, Gregory Sanchez, Janelle Cruz, and possibly Claude Snelling. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.
5/2/18: A motion hearing involving a sealed search warrant in the case. The motion asks the court to enjoin the district attorney from taking further DNA, major case prints or body photographs from DeAngelo.
Dianne Howard, the attorney of 72-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo, filed a motion to stop a search warrant. In response, the District Attorney filed an opposition to the defense’s motion.
The judge pushed the hearing back to Thursday (5/3/18) morning to have more time to review each motion.
5/4/18: Judge :denied: defense motion. Rules search warrant seeking photos, DNA of JJD will proceed.

Here’s a good cnn article on CA statute of limitations on rape, as it relates to the GSK case...
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer-statute-limitations-trnd/index.html

There are unlikely to be individual rape charges against him unrelated to those murders, Levenson said.

"Rapes that resulted in murders, there is no statute of limitations for the murders," Levenson said. "I think it's an open question whether we'll see independent sexual assault charges, but you'll certainly see them if they were part of the murder."

There is one caveat to the 2016 law, however. Exceptions can be made in rape cases if new DNA evidence is found later.

In any case, the capital murder charges will be more important to DeAngelo's prosecution than the statute of limitations for rape.

"I don't think it's gonna matter at all," Levenson said. "You can only get so many death penalties."

MOO

I think it will matter to the rape survivors (some of whom were only 13 at the time) and to have those cases solved officially.

Yay. Thanks blue and niner. Green light for "body" photos and further DNA.
Eta. Removed quotes to save space.

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- A judge has ruled there is no basis for stopping a search warrant in the Golden State Killer case, so the prosecution may collect additional DNA, finger prints and photos of Joseph James DeAngelo Jr.'s anatomy.

Just like his previous court appearances, DeAngelo came out handcuffed to a wheelchair. He is still on the Psychiatric floor meaning they're keeping an eye on him.
He is scheduled to be back in court May 14.
http://abc7news.com/judge-rules-more-evidence-may-be-collected-in-golden-state-killer-case/3423680/

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210308534.html
The judge did not address the specific request to photograph DeAngelo’s penis, but said the search warrant signed last week by Superior Court Judge Steve White was a legal order and that suspects typically can be required to provide evidence.

He noted that suspects can be required to appear in lineups, provide handwriting samples or provide blood samples.
Court papers do not spell out why such photos are needed, but during the East Area Rapist's crime spree in Sacramento from 1976 into the 1980s he is suspected of dozens of rapes, and law enforcement at the time suggested that the suspect was not well endowed physically.

Prosecutors argued in court papers that their efforts to collect more evidence would not interfere with his right to a fair trial and that he would not have to speak to them as they collected information.

I think it will matter to the rape survivors (some of whom were only 13 at the time) and to have those cases solved officially.
Was going to say same thing. It does matter...
Albeit to the women who said she hopes they find her pant buttons in his back yard.

If someone reports an assault but evidence doesn’t present itself until after the limit is up, is that the same thing as not reporting it until the stature is up in terms of prosecuting?

Golden State Killer suspect Joseph DeAngelo will have to strip for photos of his entire naked body, including his penis, a judge ruled Thursday.

Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Sweet gave the green light at a morning hearing attended by DeAngelo, a court spokeswoman confirmed to the Daily News.

Prosecutors can also collect more DNA and fingerprints from the 72-year-old former cop who was charged last week in the 1978 double slayings of Katie and Brian Maggiore, the judge said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ct-fully-naked-photos-judge-article-1.3969732

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com...d-to-kill-police-chief-who-fired-him/3423803/

Interesting! Just to further expand on his behaviour around his 1979 firing. Sorry if it's been posted already. I can't keep up with this thread!

Am I reading this correctly that an investigator told him this recently? Wonder how they know that? Do you think JJD has talked?

"The investigator told me that Joseph had gone to my house one night to kill me, and said that he walked around the house looking in the windows but couldn't find my bedroom," Willick said. "I just never saw him as a person who could, you know, kill somebody."

MOO

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com...d-to-kill-police-chief-who-fired-him/3423803/

Interesting! Just to further expand on his behaviour around his 1979 firing. Sorry if it's been posted already. I can't keep up with this thread!

That's surprising Deangelo went to the police chief's house to kill him for firing him in the middle of the night, but couldn't find his bedroom from outside.......he had to think if he killed him, that he would be a prime suspect. Although he may have been crazy pissed off & wanting to go on a murder bender, he controlled himself. Self preservation was the key.

This is why its hard to catch serial killers, they kill people they have no connection to........& he probably thought hard about it while outside peeping in the chiefs windows, it wouldn't be a good idea.

<modsnip>

Does anyone know if he had computers in his house? We know he supposedly didn't have any TVs.......strange for a serial killer at his age not having a TV to get the local news at least on what's going on with the GSK case.

I know you can get the info off of a computer as well, just wondering if anyone knows he had one?

If he knew that JJD was trying to kill him back then why didn't they arrest him? How did he know this?

My impression is that he only now has found out JJD was trying to kill him; maybe he connected the dots with the daughter's story about the flashlight, or LE told him. Do you really think he would do nothing back then if he "knew" that JJD was trying to kill him?

Am I reading this correctly that an investigator told him this recently? Wonder how they know that? Do you think JJD has talked?

"The investigator told me that Joseph had gone to my house one night to kill me, and said that he walked around the house looking in the windows but couldn't find my bedroom," Willick said. "I just never saw him as a person who could, you know, kill somebody."

MOO

bbm

Interesting. I read it the same way - as info that is new to Willick.

My impression is that he only now has found out JJD was trying to kill him; maybe he connected the dots with the daughter's story about the flashlight, or LE told him. Do you really think he would do nothing back then if he "knew" that JJD was trying to kill him?

The article made it sound like he knew but learned recently. Did they find a notebook or evidence of a plan I wonder? Most likely he connected the dots recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa