GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the episode first started and had the girl crawling from the window I thought, "Surely not..." And then it was. They must film them super quickly, about as close to real time as they can. I guess the "good" news is that the REAL case didn't turn out like the TV case did. At least all the real kids are getting a chance.

Definitely. The episode took a very sharp turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the episode first started and had the girl crawling from the window I thought, "Surely not..." And then it was. They must film them super quickly, about as close to real time as they can. I guess the "good" news is that the REAL case didn't turn out like the TV case did. At least all the real kids are getting a chance.

I was disappointed with the episode. SVU did a better job with their Duggar-inspired episode.

The Turpin-inspired episode seemed clumsily put together and left some loose threads. (For example, the two siblings being caught in bed together is never followed up.). And the “lets get the disgusting house and the marching children into the plot” was too obvious and again, irrelevant, to the main “apocalyptic” thrust. Furthermore, I think the story of the Turpin children wanting to leave their crazy parents is better than the fictional drama of kids loyal to “Papa.”

I do agree that it’s good the Turpins have been spared the kind of ending SVU had. ��

I just watched the Oxygen show. It was mostly a rehash of what I already knew, but what was new to me included:

- The property where the eldest children are now living may have been set up as apartments (per LT's sister). If true, I think that's a great way for them to learn to live independently while still being together.
- The sexual encounter LT had with the stranger was recorded, so that LT and DT could rewatch. LT posted some photos of herself in lingerie and in a bathtub on Myspace (taken by the stranger), which upset LT's mother (LT's response was "it's my life"). This is all per LT's sister.
- They played a voicemail LT had left for her half-brother days before being arrested. I had not expected her to have retained such a strong southern drawl.

I watched the Oxygen documentary last night and, to be honest, I don't know what to say. I was very surprised by the fact that LT's youngest sister (Elizabeth Flores) wasn't featured, especially because she has been very vocal everywhere and anywhere (even writing a book about her sister - yikes!). Teresa Robinette, the other sister, seemed honest about the whole thing. She made sure to make it very clear that their rough childhood doesn't justify what her sister (and her brother-in-law) did to her nieces and nephews. I just keep scratching my head about the fact that the siblings didn't see her in person since 1998. Generally, families get together for weddings, funerals, when there's a new baby around, and so on... God, I have family living abroad and they come back to visit, we see each other. I get that LT was purposely hiding from her family but still. They had kids graduating High School (at least, formally), they had a kid attending College and none of that was a motive to get together? Also, when a child is homeschooled and it's time to graduate, isn't there any procedures to verify if the child is actually ready to graduate? Like, some testing? And does the school district issue a diploma to these kids?

I watched the Oxygen documentary last night and, to be honest, I don't know what to say. I was very surprised by the fact that LT's youngest sister (Elizabeth Flores) wasn't featured, especially because she has been very vocal everywhere and anywhere (even writing a book about her sister - yikes!). Teresa Robinette, the other sister, seemed honest about the whole thing. She made sure to make it very clear that their rough childhood doesn't justify what her sister (and her brother-in-law) did to her nieces and nephews. I just keep scratching my head about the fact that the siblings didn't see her in person since 1998. Generally, families get together for weddings, funerals, when there's a new baby around, and so on... God, I have family living abroad and they come back to visit, we see each other. I get that LT was purposely hiding from her family but still. They had kids graduating High School (at least, formally), they had a kid attending College and none of that was a motive to get together? Also, when a child is homeschooled and it's time to graduate, isn't there any procedures to verify if the child is actually ready to graduate? Like, some testing? And does the school district issue a diploma to these kids?

Whether or not families get together over the years when they live apart varies a lot. Cost and the size of families (as well as how “close” everyone feels) may affect frequency of travel even in Southern families. After they moved to California, the Turpins were far away and could use that as an excuse.

What is more interesting is that they apparently refused to let Louise’s mother visit.

The other side of the family (David’s) had later contact.
I believe DTs parents last saw the kids five years ago or so.
And Randy Turpin and his family visited and they all went to Disneyland together in 2011 (going from memory here).

A homeschool “highschool graduation” does not have anything to do with the school district unless the family is doing their homeschooling through a school that has been accredited by the state and the kid gets the diploma from that school.

In most states that allow homeschooling, there is NO mandatory testing or proof that the kids are actually making grade/age appropriate progress.

In California, all the parents had to do was report “attendance” and the grades the kids the kids were “attending.”

Here is a link to information about homeschooling by state.

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

Darn, no cable, no docu.

I really hope those kids (and older ones, I dare not call them adults) find peace and are able to join society at large to live happy and productive lives.

Whether or not families get together over the years when they live apart varies a lot. Cost and the size of families (as well as how “close” everyone feels) may affect frequency of travel even in Southern families. After they moved to California, the Turpins were far away and could use that as an excuse.

What is more interesting is that they apparently refused to let Louise’s mother visit.

The other side of the family (David’s) had later contact.
I believe DTs parents last saw the kids five years ago or so.
And Randy Turpin and his family visited and they all went to Disneyland together in 2011 (going from memory here).

A homeschool “highschool graduation” does not have anything to do with the school district unless the family is doing their homeschooling through a school that has been accredited by the state and the kid gets the diploma from that school.

In most states that allow homeschooling, there is NO mandatory testing or proof that the kids are actually making grade/age appropriate progress.

In California, all the parents had to do was report “attendance” and the grades the kids the kids were “attending.”

Here is a link to information about homeschooling by state.

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

So, a person can homeschool a bunch of kids and claim they're set to graduate High School and nobody checks it out? The kids that were homeschooled and want to go to College have to get any testing done? The eldest boy was attending Mt. San Jacinto College, how did he get in?

So, a person can homeschool a bunch of kids and claim they're set to graduate High School and nobody checks it out? The kids that were homeschooled and want to go to College have to get any testing done? The eldest boy was attending Mt. San Jacinto College, how did he get in?

I don't think we have enough information to know how he got admitted, but it is possible. The requirements for the school seem to be a HS Diploma, a GED, or just being 18 years old or older.

Admissions Requirements

Residents of California who have graduated from high school, passed the California High School Proficiency Examination, or are 18 or older and can profit from instruction may attend Mt. San Jacinto College. Out-of-state residents and citizens of other countries here on student visas may also attend Mt. San Jacinto College, subject to regulations that can be obtained from the Enrollment Services Office. These students will be required to pay non-resident tuition fees.

Welcome to Mt. San Jacinto College - Enrollment Services

I don't think we have enough information to know how he got admitted, but it is possible. The requirements for the school seem to be a HS Diploma, a GED, or just being 18 years old or older.

I was just wondering if he would have to go through some kind of testing to get into College but I see there are several options. Mt. San Jacinto College has a fund for the siblings, I hope he can be back to finish what he started and, hopefully, his siblings could also join him on that and get an education, a social life. That Community College seems really nice, even has team sports available. God, I hope these youngsters do get a chance and can be happy.

I was just wondering if he would have to go through some kind of testing to get into College but I see there are several options. Mt. San Jacinto College has a fund for the siblings, I hope he can be back to finish what he started and, hopefully, his siblings could also join him on that and get an education, a social life. That Community College seems really nice, even has team sports available. God, I hope these youngsters do get a chance and can be happy.

Most (if not all) accredited four-year colleges (institutions that grant the bachelor degree) require some proof that the student has either graduated from an accredited school or passed the GED exam. Just a diploma from mom and dad won’t do. In addition, many (if not most) 4 year colleges will require an achievement/aptitude test like the ACT or SAT.

Community colleges like San Jacinto are not as stringent in their requirements nor are the classes they offer as academically challenging as what a four-year state school would offer (even in a state with a mediocre system of education).
This is why the oldest Turpin boy was able to hold his own (even make the dean’s list).

In addition to the education fund for ths siblings, San Jacinto was apparently going to assist with getting the older siblngs ready for the GED. (I don’t have the link to the article that reported this handy. Maybe someone else does.)

I totally agree that attending San Jacinto may be the first step for the older ones to begin to catch up educationally and socially.

That's not true. At all. Homeschoolers go to college all the time and generally score higher than their public school counterparts. Almost all colleges require act/ sat scores to attend. Homeschoolers certainly take those tests and apply using their scores. I won't get into all the specifics, but homeschooling is huge now. It's more of a "community schooling" than home schooling. Colleges and places of employment love homeschoolers, at this point, because they are usually self directed and don't require as much direct supervision. Oddly enough, trade schools (such as hair stylist training) has criteria that don't fit as easily with home schooled documentation. 4-year colleges are almost all right in line. Of course, any additional criteria (such as taking Physics, etc.)for each college also needs to be met.

Edit "JUST a diploma from mom and dad." That's hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most technical schools do not have the higher standards of four-year universities. However, a little history behind that. When I was in high school there was a stereotype that said that students who went to technical schools often lacked the intelligence or GPA to get into a four-year college or "Real" college.

Those controversial statements forced many technical schools including the one near my home, to raise admissions standards to be competitive with public universities. If you didn't have the prerequisites on either side, you were less likely to be admitted. There was a possibility of being conditionally admitted, but you would have to be subjected to an interview by an admissions counselor to access your academic background, plus demonstrate that you had the ability through testing that you could succeed in college, and also they wanted to make sure that you had a favorable attitude about attending the school.

For the first two semesters, you would be required to take remedial courses in English, Math, Reading, Writing, or Science, if your placement/entrance tests showed that you needed help in an area. And you could not be officially admitted into a program of study until you passed your prerequisites for doing well satisfactory in your remedial work. Counselors in learning centers help with tutoring, individualized instruction, retention of material.

It sounds like MT. San Jacinto has learning centers and help, but more like the philosophy of "Anybody can get in, almost no matter what." The standards of tech schools in the 70's and before. California is very liberal in policy and decision making. With all the Turpins home-schooled, with the possible exception of one back in Third Grade, it's not like JT was rigorously challenged, or even needed to meet the requirements of my tech collage after they raised admissions standards. Sure JT did extremely well. But consider Algebra I and Freshman English for a man in approximately mid 20's. These were more academic survival courses than anything else.

However, I applaud the "Magnificent Thirteen's:love of learning and different activities! We also have to remember that considering the horrors that they have gone through, it is great that the kids show that potential for being very smart, and have an open sense of love and compassion in wanting to help others. Kindness and love are great asserts to anyone! And those are gifts that a lot of times, one may not see in a classroom.

Satch

That's not true. At all. Homeschoolers go to college all the time and generally score higher than their public school counterparts. Almost all colleges require act/ sat scores to attend. Homeschoolers certainly take those tests and apply using their scores. I won't get into all the specifics, but homeschooling is huge now. It's more of a "community schooling" than home schooling. Colleges and places of employment love homeschoolers, at this point, because they are usually self directed and don't require as much direct supervision. Oddly enough, trade schools (such as hair stylist training) has criteria that don't fit as easily with home schooled documentation. 4-year colleges are almost all right in line. Of course, any additional criteria (such as taking Physics, etc.)for each college also needs to be met.

You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying. I was talking about ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS. I was not disparaging home school education.

As you yourself state, homeschool applicants to colleges have to submit documentation. The “diploma from mom and dad” is not enough. The more competitive the admissions to a college, the more alternate documentation may be required. Certainly, acing the ACT/SAT will help, but many places want something else.

It varies tremendously from school to school.

What is not true? I don't understand your post, I'm sorry. Nobody was saying that homeschoolers are less ready to attend College. I was asking in this expecific case where none of these kids were actually getting an education, how was it possible for one of the siblings to get in Community College? I have a hard time understanding that a person with no proof of completing High School could just walk in Mt. San Jacinto and say "I want to be a student here". So, I was asking what kind of process he had to go through to get in. I also asked how does a homeschool child gets a High School diploma, I asked if it's issued by the school district that corresponds to the area the child lives in, the Department of Education or whatever it might be. Can homeschooled kids attend graduation at the local High School? And if yes, do they attend it?
Pretty sure you misunderstood the previous posts. I am not criticizing or assuming things, I am genuenely asking because in my country homeschooling isn't really a thing - child actors and child athletes, including kids and teens that play soccer for the big teams all go to public school. That's why I am asking all of those questions, because I know nothing about homeschooling. Just trying to understand and have some context.

That's because only successful homeschooled children take the test. The disaster cases are unlikely to ever be tested. Until all homeschooled children are tested, there is no proof that they actually score higher than public school students. And with zero regulations, testing to determine if homeschooling really works better than public schools, is unlikely to happen. From my personal experience of homeschooled people I have met, I seriously doubt that homeschooling is better. The people I have met have never gone to college, so they have never been tested.

What is not true? I don't understand your post, I'm sorry. Nobody was saying that homeschoolers are less ready to attend College. I was asking in this expecific case where none of these kids were actually getting an education, how was it possible for one of the siblings to get in Community College? I have a hard time understanding that a person with no proof of completing High School could just walk in Mt. San Jacinto and say "I want to be a student here". So, I was asking what kind of process he had to go through to get in. I also asked how does a homeschool child gets a High School diploma, I asked if it's issued by the school district that corresponds to the area the child lives in, the Department of Education or whatever it might be. Can homeschooled kids attend graduation at the local High School? And if yes, do they attend it?
Pretty sure you misunderstood the previous posts. I am not criticizing or assuming things, I am genuenely asking because in my country homeschooling isn't really a thing - child actors and child athletes, including kids and teens that play soccer for the big teams all go to public school. That's why I am asking all of those questions, because I know nothing about homeschooling. Just trying to understand and have some context.

@claudianunes: The poster was not upset about your question but by my answer. Specifically, s/he thought I was criticizing homeschooling when I was just trying to answer your questions.

The simple and quick answer to your question is that usually potential employers and college admissions will require more than a parent’s word that a student has “graduated.” What they will accept as proof varies.

Regarding a graduation ceremony, I don’t know of any public school that allows students who were not enrolled in that school to graduate with those who were. And you cannot get a highschool diploma from an institution in which you were not enrolled.

However, a lot of homeschoolers are enrolled in distance learning or mail-order curricula offered by private schools (sometimes called “umbrella schools”). They might attend graduation ceremonies organized by these schools. Other homeschoolers will have graduation ceremonies organized by homeschooler associations.

Back to college admissions, many colleges admit students as “non-degree seeking students” even if the students don’t qualify for regular admissions. At the community college level, you can sometimes just sign up for a couple of courses without having documentation of finishing high school. In a couple of cases that I know of, homeschoolers have signed up to take community college courses as part of their “highschool education.”

The goal of community colleges is to provide what students in a community may need. Therefore it is usually very easy to take classes at a community college. Not all these classes “count” towards a degree, but some do.

A student who was underprepared might take a few classes as a “special student” and eventually gain admission to a degree program.

A community college would grant an “associate degree” which would combine “general education” (writing, math, some history, some science, public speaking/communications, maybe computer literacy) with a specialty of some sort. Some associate degrees are stepping stones to a four year degree. A student may transfer most courses to the university program. Some associate degrees, especially in technical fields, provide enough credentials to get a job.

I speculate that the muddled Turpin plan was for the son to earn an associate degree in some technical field. But that was before things got really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993