Found Deceased UT - Elizabeth Laguna Salgado, 26, Provo, 16 Apr 2015

I live here in Utah and some of the news crews from here are in California and will be talking to at least one of the uncles later tonight. Just saw this on one of the local news channels.

Thank you. Such a sad story. And if they are involved, even worse. Poor Elizabeth. She had only arrived here a few weeks before.

Are her uncle/s still expected to be involved?

' "We have persons of interest that we have interviewed and will continue to interview. We are not naming anyone as a suspect at this time,” Tracy said. He declined to say how many persons of interest were being looked at or whether any of them are family members.

Early on in the case, police said inconsistencies and the outcome of polygraph tests with two of Salgado’s uncles resulted in them being excluded from police updates to the family."

Death of woman missing 3 years now 'an active homicide investigation'

' "We have persons of interest that we have interviewed and will continue to interview. We are not naming anyone as a suspect at this time,” Tracy said. He declined to say how many persons of interest were being looked at or whether any of them are family members.

Early on in the case, police said inconsistencies and the outcome of polygraph tests with two of Salgado’s uncles resulted in them being excluded from police updates to the family."

Death of woman missing 3 years now 'an active homicide investigation'

Thank you doodles. It doesn't look like it is going to get any better for this poor family.

I've followed this one for a long time. Such a difficult case b/c there seemed to be very little evidence and no eyewitness accounts (at least none that have been released). I just didn't--and still don't---know what to think!

Skeletal remains found in Utah canyon ID'd as long-missing woman Elizabeth Salgado

"Whoever did this, we are going to find them," Rosemberg Salgado said. "We will not stop until that person or people that were involved (are found)."

Officials characterized the discovery of Salgado's body as a lucky break following three years of investigation and hundreds of interviews. Deputies had driven past the location where she was found dozens of times in recent years, said Sgt. Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff's Office.

"We'll take any break, anytime, anywhere. Some days it's better to be lucky than good," said Tracy, the sheriff. "We're fortunate and thankful that this individual happened to get off the road and walk into the forest to make that discovery."

The fact that they're speaking to "persons of interest" has me sitting up straight. They were fairly vocal about the one uncle with the lie detector test in the beginning. Unless there was something on her body that pointed them towards someone else, it doesn't seem likely that a new person of interest cropped up. I hope that it's someone they questioned early on that we don't know about and not someone close in a familial way.

Three years after her disappearance, Elizabeth Salgado found dead

Salgado said they have not been asked to be interviewed again. The family was cleared during the investigation. He said that he and others passed lie detector tests.”

“Nobody in my family would do something like this,” said Salgado. “I am very certain of this.”

He said Elizabeth had a boyfriend in Mexico who was obsessed with her and wasn’t happy that she came to the U.S.

The Salgado family held a memorial Friday at the site deep in Hobble Creek Canyon where their daughter, sister and niece — Elizabeth Elena Laguna-Salgado — was found.

Accompanied by Mexican Consulate members and Sgt. Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, Elizabeth Salgado’s family — her mother, father, two sisters, two brothers and two uncles — traveled to the remote spot where her remains were found.
Family visits site where Elizabeth Salgado's body was found

This is just such a mystery. I recently saw a show about it. Does anyone recall if when police searched her room, they were able to determine if she made it home from class that day? I know that she had walked about 3 miles. But, did she make it? Were her things with her like her purse, phone, etc.

Update: Investigation of Elizabeth Salgado: authorities looking at two people

"Two unnamed people are on the radar of detectives investigating the death of Elizabeth Salgado.
But Lt. Erik Knutzen who is overseeing the investigation of Salgado, isn't ready to call them persons of interest...

"He said the two people offered alibis but detectives aren't convinced of their whereabouts after Salgado disappeared.

"We're trying to get more in-depth information, Lt. Knutzen said. "These people have said 'Hey I was at this place at this time' and we're not getting any of those confirmations and we're going to keep following up until we get those confirmations of their whereabouts."

Unfortunately, they have been unable to determine the cause of death:

"He said investigators found few clues on the decomposed body that would offer them a clear path to what caused her death.

"We're not finding really any tissue to follow up with and do any forensic testing with," he said. "The bones that have been recovered, we're not finding any obvious signs of injury to it."

Update: Investigation of Elizabeth Salgado: authorities looking at two people

"Two unnamed people are on the radar of detectives investigating the death of Elizabeth Salgado.
But Lt. Erik Knutzen who is overseeing the investigation of Salgado, isn't ready to call them persons of interest...

"He said the two people offered alibis but detectives aren't convinced of their whereabouts after Salgado disappeared.

"We're trying to get more in-depth information, Lt. Knutzen said. "These people have said 'Hey I was at this place at this time' and we're not getting any of those confirmations and we're going to keep following up until we get those confirmations of their whereabouts."

Unfortunately, they have been unable to determine the cause of death:

"He said investigators found few clues on the decomposed body that would offer them a clear path to what caused her death.

"We're not finding really any tissue to follow up with and do any forensic testing with," he said. "The bones that have been recovered, we're not finding any obvious signs of injury to it."

I thought LE would surely have something when she was found. Something on her clothing maybe. But this seems to indicate that LE can only prove she is deceased and nothing more.

Just checking in. Scouring the internet I don't see anything on the case in the last month. I hope LE has something to arrest or rule out the previously mentioned 2 suspects. This was someone with a solid future in front of them and the killer or killers took that away way too soon.

Utah Cold Case Coalition launches ambitious plan to run its own DNA testing lab to help crack unsolved crimes
April 26 2019 rbbm.
"The Utah Cold Case Coalition is aiming for something its founders call “revolutionary” in the cracking of unsolved crimes: the first DNA testing lab operated by a nonprofit.

Coalition co-founders Karra Porter and Jason Jensen announced Thursday the group’s plans to build its own DNA testing lab in a tree-shaded, two-story office complex in Murray.

“This is going to revolutionize cold cases across the United States,”
Porter said. “We saw this need and it was too big to ignore.”
"Francine Bardole, senior crime scene investigator for the West Jordan Police Department, said there is a glut of untested DNA from crime scenes, rape kits and other evidence."

"Jensen also gave brief updates on four prominent cold cases:"
"• In the case of Elizabeth Salgado, whose body was discovered in a Utah County canyon last May, three years after she disappeared, Jensen said the coalition is seeking the public’s assistance to piece together what the 26-year-old did in the 18 days between her arrival in Utah and her disappearance."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back