CO CO - Jaryd Atadero, 3, Comanche Peak, 2 Oct 1999

I’m glad someone is helping the Ataderos with their sons case.I read up on it a long time ago and just came across his thread here.

Do you know if there’s been anymore information from the ranger at Mesa Verde ? That really has me wondering.

Glad you’re here, Welcome!
Listening to podcast, I can not believe those people took Jared an additional sixteen miles away to a completely different area without checking with his dad for permission. And then the woman who was supposed to watch him let him run ahead of them and don’t keep up with him?! OMG
And then when they come tell him he’s missing, it’s like pulling teeth.
I think they should be held responsible, criminally negligent, child abduction , something. JMO

And re his clothing , etc., why put them in that location so difficult to get to? Not just anyone could do that... I suppose maybe to make it look more like it was done by a mountain lion versus a human.

I’m still suspicious about the fishermen, I thought Jaryd just saw them and talked to them while they were fishing, didn’t realize he had actually walked with them until the road forked then they just let him keep on going. What is wrong with all the people in this story, it’s downright disturbing.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you for taking the time to look over the case.

1. The Mesa Verde Sighting - The park ranger was interviewed for the Missing 411 documentary, but his memory of the event had changed so much and he couldn't remember details clearly. To date no information has been recovered, though I have submitted a FOIA request for any report filed by the park ranger. Mesa Verde National Park is an 8 to 9 hour drive from Poudre Canyon. It's the distance it takes to drive from one corner of Colorado to the other. If it was Jaryd, and we have every reason to believe it was at this point, then it points to this situation being something more than a textbook abduction by a pedophile. The reason I believe this is because, statistically, in the majority of cases a pedophile will take a child no more than 30-60 minutes away because they want to satisfy their urge as soon as possible. This isn't always the case, but it's applicable to roughly 75% of child abduction murders. Investigators from various agencies have stated that the child will usually be dead within 3-6 hours of being abducted.

2. The Clothing and the Remains - Sheriff Jim Alderden, who completely and totally botched the investigation, had two prevailing theories: A mountain lion attack and drowning. He was there for the cameras, and he figured they wanted to hear the mountain lion theory so that's what he stated. When the cameras would leave, he would leave. This was done so that it would appear as though a mountain lion had killed Jaryd. The skull had markings on it that a forensic anthropologist stated to Mr. Atadero were consistent with having been washed over river rock. This isn't possible since it was 550 vertical feet above the trail. That's the height of a skyscraper. The hikers that found the clothing broke trail for some unknown reason and hit a bullseye when they found the clothing. No remains had been found until a week later, after a medical examiner was interviewed saying "You'd at least find a tooth." I watched Paulides' interview with the hikers in the Missing 411 documentary, and their body language didn't sit well with me when you take into account their seemingly miraculous find. I can't implicate them in anything, but when you're investigating a crime you can't consider anything a coincidence.

3. The Fishermen - The fishermen, two brothers, were idiots. There's no two ways about this. I don't think they had anything to do with it, but they could have saved him. Fishing was more important to them. In the police report, they said they figured the group was only ten minutes behind him and would catch up. Ten minutes is enough for anything to go wrong. They just let him walk away.

4. The group that took him were not introduced to each other though the majority of the group was known to Allyn. It is a complete mystery why Janice, the lady who was to keep Jaryd with her, fell asleep on the trail. According to the police report, it was made to sound like Jaryd just bolted and she never really bothered to try and reign him in. Her falling asleep on the trail was not mentioned to police, but was confirmed by Allyn's daughter Josallyn after someone else brought it to his attention. The court evaluated the likelihood of pressing charges of negligence against the group. No charges were filed, and Allyn didn't want it to go there.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you for taking the time to look over the case.

[snipped]
Her falling asleep on the trail was not mentioned to police, but was confirmed by Allyn's daughter Josallyn after someone else brought it to his attention. The court evaluated the likelihood of pressing charges of negligence against the group. No charges were filed, and Allyn didn't want it to go there.

Welcome! What exactly do you mean by falling asleep on the trail? I’m having trouble visualizing what that means.

Welcome! What exactly do you mean by falling asleep on the trail? I’m having trouble visualizing what that means.

I’m with you,what is “asleep on the trail”? That concerns me. I was tired the first time I read through... When I have a few minutes, next day or two, I want to read over it again when I can absorb it. There’s something seriously off with this case. We need to stay on this. Is there any way the Colorado State Police... is that what they’re called? .... could take over this case? I do not trust that Sheriffs dept. JMO

I’m with you,what is “asleep on the trail”? That concerns me. I was tired the first time I read through... When I have a few minutes, next day or two, I want to read over it again when I can absorb it. There’s something seriously off with this case. We need to stay on this. Is there any way the Colorado State Police... is that what they’re called? .... could take over this case? I do not trust that Sheriffs dept. JMO

When Allyn was at home with his daughter Josallyn, he got a call from someone on the hike that learned that Janice had told them she fell asleep for a short time on the trail. Allyn turned to his daughter, who had been with her the whole time, and said that this was true. No one really knows what this means, if she was leaning back on a rock and just dozed off or what.but Josallyn had also fallen alseep at her side (she was six years old at the time) and and said that when they woke up Jaryd was gone.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Larimer County Sheriff's office, and the FBI all consider this a closed case. Allyn also does not trust the sheriff's office. He has been badly hurt by them. I highly recommend his book, Missing: When the Son Sets. You get a front row seat to what he went through and a lot more information. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we investigate this.

Last edited:
When Allyn was at home with his daughter Josallyn, he got a call from someone on the hike that learned that Janice had told them she fell asleep for a short time on the trail. Allyn turned to his daughter, who had been with her the whole time, and said that this was true. No one really knows what this means, if she was leaning back on a rock and just dozed off or what.but Josallyn had also fallen alseep at her side (she was six years old at the time) and and said that when they woke up Jaryd was gone.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Larimer County Sheriff's office, and the FBI all consider this a closed case. Allyn also does not trust the sheriff's office. He has been badly hurt by them. I highly recommend his book, Missing: When the Son Sets. You get a front row seat to what he went through and a lot more information. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we investigate this.

BBM. That is seriously freaky. I’ve walked trails/hiked a lot, and I’ve never heard of one person falling asleep while hiking or walking on a trail. I thought Jaryd was walking between two groups. Has the possibility of someone drugging Janice, Josallyn and Jaryd ever been explored?

BBM. That is seriously freaky. I’ve walked trails/hiked a lot, and I’ve never heard of one person falling asleep while hiking or walking on a trail. I thought Jaryd was walking between two groups. Has the possibility of someone drugging Janice, Josallyn and Jaryd ever been explored?

I don't know why she fell asleep, nor do I think she was drugged because it doesn't appear she wasn't out very long. None of the other statements in the police report mention this incident. It is a total mystery.

Welcome Thunder Street! I will be reading all the information you have posted as well as your website when I have some time. Allyn was a teacher of mine in Littleton before Jaryd disappeared.

Thank you kindly, and nice to meet you. Glad to meet another acquaintance of Allyn's. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thunder Street, first, will you please extend sympathy to Jaryd's family? I think I speak for everyone here on that.

Second, I would love to see two bullet-point lists of facts: one from law enforcement's point of view, and the other from Mr. Atadero's. Do you happen to have timelines you could share?

This case is so perplexing. I have to admit, I was brought here because of the Paulides Bigfoot thing because the facts are just so strange. Thankfully, haha, some of this is starting to sound like humans are involved, and I think this case can be solved.

Thunder Street, first, will you please extend sympathy to Jaryd's family? I think I speak for everyone here on that.

Second, I would love to see two bullet-point lists of facts: one from law enforcement's point of view, and the other from Mr. Atadero's. Do you happen to have timelines you could share?

This case is so perplexing. I have to admit, I was brought here because of the Paulides Bigfoot thing because the facts are just so strange. Thankfully, haha, some of this is starting to sound like humans are involved, and I think this case can be solved.
Interesting you brought up Paulides 411 because I’ve been reading him as well.
I agree it would be great to have the facts from LE and from Mr. Ataderos, as you mentioned. And a timeline would be more than welcomed. Yes, it is indeed very perplexing.
I also find the actions of those who were responsible for looking out for this very young child to be very perplexing as well, and that’s putting it mildly.It’s horrible how he was left to run about on his own on an unmonitored hiking trail in the wilderness. Who does that?

Last edited:
I also came across this after reading the missing 411 books and watching the documentary. Unlike Deorr Kuntz' parents Mr. Atadero seemed genuinely heartbroken. Jaryd's cute smile is burned into my soul now, I hope this case is still solvable!

Thank you for your understanding of Mr. Atadero's situation. The case is absolutely solvable. I will be posting a timeline of events soon.

Well, it is not unheard of that some killers like to get involved somehow in an investigation, they follow "their " cases in press . That interview with Dr. Baden maybe triggered a reaction.
Suddenly the tooth and more evidence "appears". The story of the two hikers is quite off. Why would anyone climb that boulder field? Saw photos and a video of it, and it looks like a good area to break your ankles...
Thunder Street, I am looking forward to the timeline!
(That investigation was really a mess:eek:)
ETA Just my opinion! Could the hikers who found the evidence provide an alibi for the day Jaryd went missing?

Last edited:
Well, it is not unheard of that some killers like to get involved somehow in an investigation, they follow "their " cases in press . That interview with Dr. Baden maybe triggered a reaction.
Suddenly the tooth and more evidence "appears". The story of the two hikers is quite off. Why would anyone climb that boulder field? Saw photos and a video of it, and it looks like a good area to break your ankles...
Thunder Street, I am looking forward to the timeline!
(That investigation was really a mess:eek:)
ETA Just my opinion! Could the hikers who found the evidence provide an alibi for the day Jaryd went missing?

I thought the same thing about the hikers, why did they climb up there in the first place, then later a tooth appears after Baden's interview. Way hinky, IMO. I can't figure out what the deal is with the sheriff that handled this investigation, strange.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back