UK UK - Andrew Gosden, 14, Doncaster, South Yorks, 14 Sept 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts and questions...

-I used to dream of skipping school and taking public transportation to Manhattan, getting a slice of pizza, buying some candy at the Hershey's store, heading to TKTS for a half price ticket, catching a matinee of some show, devouring that candy, and making it home before my parents realized I hadn't stayed late for an after school activity. Sadly, I couldn't make the trip in time from the Midwest and I couldn't buy a plane ticket, so it remained but a dream... I think Andrew might have wanted this type of a day. The freedom to go around a big city on your own terms and either not get caught or not care if you are.

If so, what Andrew did seems so adult. I imagine groups or pairs do the day adventure more... Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He seems like a book smart but not street smart kid. Maybe he thought he was meeting someone.

-Not bringing the PSP charger is a red herring.

-As in the case of Roger Ellison: I don't think he committed suicide and masked it so well that no one has found him years later. Not in such a populated place that was not home to him.

1. Do we know if this wasn't the first time doing this? Are all of his school absences accounted for?

2. Which, if any, of his classmates or teachers were absent that day?

3. Did he have friends? It's strange we haven't heard much from friends. If there were friends, I'd like to hear them describe Andrew's personality, including his greatest struggles.

If he had friends, he could have been using a friend's/acquaintance's computer.

If he didn't have friends, he was very likely bullied. My parents didn't know I was bullied for years.

It might have been worthwhile to look into the chat and text records of his classmates to see their thoughts and attitudes (and actions)... Ah well.

4. What do his teachers say? He went to a Catholic school. Was he close to any priests? (Not like that.) Did he share any of his concerns with trusted teachers?

5. Any game, book, movie, music releases he was excited about? I see a Harry Potter book came out a couple of months before, so probably not that. Perhaps an author or musician promoting a new work and doing a signing?

6. What activities did he have outside of the regular school day?

7. Has the CCTV footage been analyzed by body language experts? I know it's only a few seconds of him walking, but it's possible a trained eye could tell us whether is he was nervous, confident, excited, etc.

8. Any hotels he could have afforded that would have taken cash?

I think that's enough for now. Would like to hear your thoughts.

I've seen a it mentioned a few places he had 100% attendance at school and it's also mentioned in this article from The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-family-so-what-made-him-run-away-wrrdtmv87rd so I think it's very likely true and accurate.

I don't however know whether the information came from his parents and they are assuming he had a perfect record but he had stayed away before and nobody noticed. I believe the school called the parents if a child was off but as they both worked, it is possible a call was made and they missed it. I suspect any other unexplained absences would have been discussed after his disappearance but you never know, things do slip through cracks.

I am certainly not a body language expert myself but I think he looks like a relaxed young man who is quite possibly looking out for someone as he leaves the station. I don't know if it's the way the camera cuts but he looks like he is looking round, like he's looking out for a friend. He doesn't look at all nervous to me. It would be interesting to see what an expert has to say about it.

I've heard no mention of friends either which I find a little odd, surely he knew someone? If he was a geek or a goth, even if he was a loner, in my experience kids like that usually have at least one buddy. A couple of people who claimed to know him have commented on Reddit threads but I have no idea how genuine they are.

That's interesting and makes the school theory more likely. Based on what I found in my last post it seems an outside library may be a place he'd be more likely to be noticed, just based on the rules and regulations that they had from 2012 that potentially would have been in place in 2007. Do you remember if things were the same after school, arranrigney, in regards to not signing in etc?

I'd be interested in SJ16321's experiences with after school activities and outside library access, as he grew up in Doncaster too.

Apologies for the very late reply I've been having issues with my ISP so no proper internet access!

Libraries in Doncaster have always and still to this day give free internet access to school age children. It's capped at an hour or 2 per visit and obviously has the usual basic filters to stop you searching for *advertiser censored* etc but apart from that it's completely unrestricted. I don't know exactly when needing your parents permission came in, even just 10 years ago things were a lot more relaxed not like today where people think there's a pedophile lurking round every corner.

School access outside of the normal school day would vary from school to school I'd imagine. At my school you could easily have got yourself nearly 2 hours a day uninterrupted access to the internet without anybody knowing. At the end of the day the IT labs were empty and unlocked from about 3.30 onward until the cleaners would arrive at 5.30. This access was available for years until the school cottoned on and finally started locking the IT labs at the end of the day.

I do find it odd that his parents didn't see him until tea time on a regular basis. I was one for staying in my room on my PC or Playstation but when my mum got home from work the first thing she did was locate where me and my siblings were. She would never just assume I was in my room on the Playstation.

Me too, my mum or dad would shout for me as they walked in. They may not come and find me if I shouted hello but if they didn't hear me, you could be sure they'd come looking to see what I was up to.

Andrew's case has fascinated me for a long time now.
I don't think it's too unusual for parents not to locate the children within the house, especially as Andrew was getting to that age where he needed his privacy
Regarding computers at school, it does feel like the police were either keeping the extent of the investigation from the public or did not try hard enough to source out all possible answers to this disappearance.

hi everyone for what ever reason this case has really resinated with me recently i don't why. i relate being that shy alternative boy in school feelings of isolation, frustration, loneliness. it strikes me as very odd for a kid who was quite sheltered and not street wise to travel to london at 14 certainly takes balls.
was it ever mention of what andrew was doing in the 6 weeks or so before his disappearance during the school holidays? is possible he met up with someone prior to the journey. during that period, we assume he only had £200 but its possible this person could've given him more money. and subsequently meeting this person to walk home, its easy to hide things that you don't want your parents to know we've all done it. judging by his body language on the cctv it doesn't seem to be nervous to be meeting someone for the first time.

hi everyone for what ever reason this case has really resinated with me recently i don't why. i relate being that shy alternative boy in school feelings of isolation, frustration, loneliness. it strikes me as very odd for a kid who was quite sheltered and not street wise to travel to london at 14 certainly takes balls.
was it ever mention of what andrew was doing in the 6 weeks or so before his disappearance during the school holidays? is possible he met up with someone prior to the journey. during that period, we assume he only had £200 but its possible this person could've given him more money. and subsequently meeting this person to walk home, its easy to hide things that you don't want your parents to know we've all done it. judging by his body language on the cctv it doesn't seem to be nervous to be meeting someone for the first time.

I agree about his walk home. My understanding is both his parents worked which means he would have had 6 weeks over the Summer to pretty much do anything with anyone and as long as he was home for dinner, nobody would know.

I believe that I have come up with a theory that has not been explored on here. If it is well known please let me know. I have not seen it at least.

It involves a HIM signing at the HMV on Oxford road on the 17th Sept 2007 and a secret fan only HIM gig that night in London. I have added this to the Wikipedia site as a new line of investigation that has been exhausted. Unless someone here has better google skills than me all of the videos I could find on YouTube yield no results. Kevin Gosden informs me that they had contacted HIM but nothing came of it.

It seems that there is a small chance that this strand may lead to something.

I believe that I have come up with a theory that has not been explored on here. If it is well known please let me know. I have not seen it at least.

It involves a HIM signing at the HMV on Oxford road on the 17th Sept 2007 and a secret fan only HIM gig that night in London. I have added this to the Wikipedia site as a new line of investigation that has been exhausted. Unless someone here has better google skills than me all of the videos I could find on YouTube yield no results. Kevin Gosden informs me that they had contacted HIM but nothing came of it.

It seems that there is a small chance that this strand may lead to something.
Thanks for posting! Wondering if Andrew stayed awake late the night befor he went missing, he ws apparently groggy and cranky- could he have been coming down with something and taken ill, or did he have something on his mind?
Disappearance of Andrew Gosden - Wikipedia
"Andrew Gosden was a gifted mathematics student with a 100% attendance record at The McAuley Catholic High School, who was on the Young Gifted and Talented Programme to stretch the top five per cent of school pupils.[2][3] He had been expected to score all A's in his GCSEs at school. Andrew exhibited no signs of depression[4] or problems with bullying"

"Gosden thoroughly enjoyed London, and would visit the capital with his family to see his grandparents, aunts and uncles and family friends who lived there. He also enjoyed visiting London's museums and exhibitions. According to Gosden's father, he also had a good knowledge on how the public transport in the city worked, knew the layout, and was confident in navigating himself around"
"On the morning of his disappearance, Gosden had difficulty waking up and was particularly grumpy.[2] He left the house at 8:05 am[14] for his school bus, though instead diverted his route, and waited in a local park until the rest of the household had left for the day"
"The family looked into music concerts that Andrew may have gone to London to attend. The night of the disapearance Thirty Seconds to Mars played the Brixton Academy[38] and SikTh played a rescheduled farewell show at the Carling Academy.[39] Sikth have played gigs with Slipknot and the venue is walking distance from King’s Cross. The Sikth gig was originally scheduled for the 7th of July and was to be the last show with the original vocalist so the gig was identified as a unique event.[40] Mick Neville retired head of the Metropolitan Police’s Central Images Unit, believes the SikTh theory is possible. “There is a canal nearby (Regents Canal). It is unclear whether this was ever dredged or checked.”[41] Although Andrew was a fan of similar metal bands despite investigation there is no evidence that he attended these shows or liked these bands.[39]

Another strand to the investigation looked into by the family was the hypothesis that Andrew was attending a show by a band that he is known to be a fan of. HIM did a promotional signing at the Oxford Street HMV on Monday 17 September 2007 and an invite only show the same evening at the borderline in Soho. The only way to get into this show was by completing various contests and giveaways.[42] This strand was investigated by the family with help from HIM but it did not produce any meaningful leads."

Andrews father Kevin made a post on Facebook today with some updates.

Since I can't link here I'll give cliff notes

They are working with a FOI request to get any CCTV the police hold from the day he went missing.

Working on a blog for Andrews birthday on July 10th.

They have spoken to the guys from the Generation Why podcast so looks like they will be doing a future episode about Andrew.

Been in contact with the band Muses management about putting up something on the screen during their upcoming tour.

Sent away photos to the person at Missing Person UK to get a age progrestion of Andrew at 25

Had an interview with a journalist of a true crime magazine.

They have been following a lead given to them about Andrew being alive and well in Lincoln at some point and they have been focused on that area and an online conversation "he" had with the person that has come forward.
He explained something's that make him think it could be Andrew.

Yeah I think that's it all in a nutshell.
Hope 2018 is the year for answers!

Andrews father Kevin made a post on Facebook today with some updates.

Since I can't link here I'll give cliff notes

They are working with a FOI request to get any CCTV the police hold from the day he went missing.

Working on a blog for Andrews birthday on July 10th.

They have spoken to the guys from the Generation Why podcast so looks like they will be doing a future episode about Andrew.

Been in contact with the band Muses management about putting up something on the screen during their upcoming tour.

Sent away photos to the person at Missing Person UK to get a age progrestion of Andrew at 25

Had an interview with a journalist of a true crime magazine.

They have been following a lead given to them about Andrew being alive and well in Lincoln at some point and they have been focused on that area and an online conversation "he" had with the person that has come forward.
He explained something's that make him think it could be Andrew.

Yeah I think that's it all in a nutshell.
Hope 2018 is the year for answers!
Thanks for that uplifting news, hoping and almost expecting that Andrew will be found, alive! imo.

To follow on from Hayaletcatchers post (thanks Hay!) further down Kevin elaborates:

Basically it was a conversation asking for help with £200 rent after a partner had walked out. The handle was andyroo - not many people know we called him roo for years as he is little and bouncy. He was offered help but couldn't provide bank details as he had no account because "I left home when I was 14". When asked if there were problems, he said no, "just felt like it". The chat was brief as a friend came round and bailed him out mid conversation. The police tried everything on the chat provider but they could not trace it back. But those bits of info seemed a bit too close not to try following up.

Kevin Gosden

Very interesting indeed. I so hope he's alive.

Last edited:
To follow on from Hayaletcatchers post (thanks Hay!) further down Kevin elaborates:

Basically it was a conversation asking for help with £200 rent after a partner had walked out. The handle was andyroo - not many people know we called him roo for years as he is little and bouncy. He was offered help but couldn't provide bank details as he had no account because "I left home when I was 14". When asked if there were problems, he said no, "just felt like it". The chat was brief as a friend came round and bailed him out mid conversation. The police tried everything on the chat provider but they could not trace it back. But those bits of info seemed a bit too close not to try following up.

Kevin Gosden

Very interesting indeed. I so hope he's alive.

I don't say this much on here, because I know that the prevailing theory is that Andrew is dead, but deep down I do believe that Andrew is alive. This is in part due to the fact that my friend is still adamant about her sighting of Andrew. I have explored other theories, but none ring as true to me.

I just feel that he was struggling with the various pressures of growing up, and just decided he wanted a clean slate.

I think that achieving this in our society, even as a not very worldly 14 year old, is probably not as far-fetched as we would think.

Worth following up. However could a son watch his family go through hell for 10 years from 32 miles away?

A cursory google brings up several hits for Andyroo in Lincoln. This indicates it may just be a common nickname for Andrews. But like I said worth following up.

I don't say this much on here, because I know that the prevailing theory is that Andrew is dead, but deep down I do believe that Andrew is alive. This is in part due to the fact that my friend is still adamant about her sighting of Andrew. I have explored other theories, but none ring as true to me.

Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable though. No offence.

I just don't know what to believe anymore. I thought there was a chance Andrew was alive but after his sister's wedding that belief became less. I just don't think he would miss it, or not try and reach out to her after. but hey, stranger things have happened.

Kevin is such a nice guy that I truly hope this has a happy ending, even with the tiniest chance. I hope this person is being honest and isn't messing them around.

Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable though. No offence.

This person is honestly the most reliable witness out of anyone I know. If it were anyone else, I'd doubt the hell out of it.

But not this person, and she has never wavered. She reported the sighting and was desperate for them to check the CCTV where she saw him.

This person is honestly the most reliable witness out of anyone I know. If it were anyone else, I'd doubt the hell out of it.

But not this person, and she has never wavered. She reported the sighting and was desperate for them to check the CCTV where she saw him.

Where was this sighting please? I’d be interested to know.

Update-

"Fresh very exciting update!!! I have just read an email from Missing People telling us that the Muse management team have agreed to screen an appeal for Andrew in national cinemas on 12th July when their Drones tour is being screened. They are working on putting it together but we are really pleased as it is such a big ask that we honestly didn't really expect it to go ahead. We hope too that it helps raise the profile of Missing People." Kevin Gosden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member