Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don'tknow if this is helpful or not, it's just that I see comments of members having difficulties with the site posted in the threads and not reported here and it might help admin to see what is happening to address the issues -

My iPad is freaking out so please excuse the multiple posts.
[URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/uk-jordan-burling-18-died-weighing-less-than-6-stone-body-of-baby-also-found-leeds-june-2016.375972/page-9#post-14172860"]Uk - Jordan Burling, 18, Died Weighing Less Than 6 Stone, Body Of Baby Also Found, Leeds, June 2016[/URL]
I don’t know why I’m suddenly getting redirected when I try to “ like” a post? It takes me to another page asking if I’m sure I want to like the post.
[URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/uk-jordan-burling-18-died-weighing-less-than-6-stone-body-of-baby-also-found-leeds-june-2016.375972/page-10#post-14174016"]Uk - Jordan Burling, 18, Died Weighing Less Than 6 Stone, Body Of Baby Also Found, Leeds, June 2016[/URL]

Number 1 is still happening to me all the time.. Number 2 no change and we have no delete post.

Yes, I miss being able to delete a post. It's especially annoying since the forum lags have made me accidentally double post a few times. I have been editing the posts to just say "delete" but then everyone sees a "delete" from me and wonders what I deleted.

Thanks for posting that! Here I am to fuss about that directly: whatever page I'm viewing auto-reloads frequently, even in the middle of me typing a post or replying to a post. Usually my response is lost, and I have to start over. As I type, the keyboard doesn't stay synched with what's being typed, it slows down. The longer the post being typed, the slower it gets. I'm also getting frequent black/gray screens. I've tried clearing my cache before coming to the website--no change or improvement.

Thanks for any help!

ETA: I'm using an iPad if that helps.

HI. I’m just curious, I noticed in the old Aand L threads all the “thanks” (“Likes”) didn’t transfer?

I could care less about likes as far as popularity etc goes (mentioning that since that since some people mentioned they felt unpopular or whatever with likes displayed) but the reason why I’m missing it is sometimes if I’m in a huge hurry or have a lot of posts to catch up on and I’m speed reading and might whiz past an important post, but if there happens to be a lot of likes or thanks it triggers me to slow down and read a post better, if that makes sense.

Yes, I miss being able to delete a post. It's especially annoying since the forum lags have made me accidentally double post a few times. I have been editing the posts to just say "delete" but then everyone sees a "delete" from me and wonders what I deleted.
So is there not a delete button anywhere?

I asked before also, is there a way to view who is currently viewing a thread? (Numbers of members and guests) Tia. Sorry if I missed it. It was helpful when welcoming guests and gauging the media attention as related to a case. Just wondering.

I like that a reason does not have to be specified for editing a post.

Also like the notification when an old post is liked, reminds me that people still read old cases and old research is important. Also takes me back to old threads that I may have gotten sidetracked on.

Last edited:
So is there not a delete button anywhere?

I think some people had one when we first moved over. IIRC, there were some screenshots posted (in this thread or the other one) of where the "delete" is supposed to be by people who had one. Supposedly, it's only there for a limited amount of time after you post. But I have never seen the delete option anywhere on my screen. Not right after I post, not 5 minutes after I post, and not an hour later. Never seen "delete" option at all.

On another topic, I also miss being able to edit the titles when I start a new thread. If there is a way to do it I have not figured it out. On the old system we used to be able to edit the title for a short amount of time after posting.

My phone was fully charged at 5pm, and by 545 it was down to 68% which is not common at all for my phone. Usually it would be at maybe 90%. I was only browsing here, one news article, and Instagram for a few minutes. My phone was also bugging out trying to reply to a thread before, I think bc of the video ad on the page. Idk if it’s all related but just something I noticed that’s unusual (the batttery draining)

If the issues are WS based, the following info probably won't solve problems like these, but might help with other battery issues in general. IMO

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (an oldie but still a goody), if I go into settings / General and choose "Battery" it brings up a graph that lets me know what percentage of my battery is being used by a particular app. Sometimes, there are apps or other processes being used in the background, and I'm surprised by how much "juice" is being used.

Also, in the app store (android), there are a number of utility apps that deal with battery issues, as well as phone "cleaners" that provide a "cool down" action if your phone is burning up.

I've tried many of the battery savers out there, and a few of them actually increased consumption! I found an app called "Hibernation" and it kills most of my running apps once the screen goes off. You can "white list" apps that you want to keep running (I think that's how it works. . . all I know is that it works!)

Reactions: byo
I think some people had one when we first moved over. IIRC, there were some screenshots posted (in this thread or the other one) of where the "delete" is supposed to be by people who had one. Supposedly, it's only there for a limited amount of time after you post. But I have never seen the delete option anywhere on my screen. Not right after I post, not 5 minutes after I post, and not an hour later. Never seen "delete" option at all.

Didn't somebody figure out that you can only delete post in certain forums? One workaround that I found is that if you want to make another post in the same thread right away, you can type that post, get the quotes right and every thing. Then instead of posting it, copy it, then go back to the previous post you want to delete and paste the new post right over the top of the one you want to delete. But it's probably easier to just edit all the text out of the post you want to delete except for one period, and then start a new post.

Last edited:
I agree. The site was unusable for me without an ********. I prefer to use an ******** and make the occasional donation to Tricia.
To echo Jennifer17, I'm bringing what worked for me over from this thread: Anyone Else Freezing Up?
It really has made a positive difference (night & day!) for me, just fyi

I don't know for sure if it's the ads or not, but since I followed some advice here and downloaded extensions specific to each browser (for Edge, for Chrome, for Mozilla), I have not experienced the slow-down lag (so far, crossing my fingers). I am learning from others who have tried to help by posting links and names not to do that, but basically you want to block the ads, with block being the verb and ad being the object. Therefore, you'll Google in the singular as "ObjectVerber for [insert browser here]". There are privacy things you want to read thoroughly and decide if that's for you. I know this is elementary to some, but I can be too when it comes to technology. hth!

Oh ok. I will honestly keep the top ad if I could get the videos to stop. I can barely type and my phone is burning hot
I believe that this, posted the 17th, was the first report of a hot device when viewing the site; there were five more in addition, phones usually but also a laptop reported. I hope these issues get taken care of and good to see the problem now acknowledged.

I keep on getting an “aww snap, something went wrong” page while I’m reading threads. I have to refresh to get back to where I was. I’m on chrome, iPhone. It only happens while on webslueths.

I keep on getting an “aww snap, something went wrong” page while I’m reading threads. I have to refresh to get back to where I was. I’m on chrome, iPhone. It only happens while on webslueths.
Same here! It had happened a couple of times this past week but it’s been non stop today. I’m using Safari on my iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes