UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a few, probably a combination:

Fights over child custody
Possible snitching by a victim to LE about drug trafficking
Possible rogue LE and local power brokers concerned about the above
Theft of money, MJ

I rewatched the first videos of these murders and can't get DeWine and Le's words out of my head now. Cold and calculated execution. Now I strongly feel this was about drugs and gangs. I've done digging on some of the gang members in the media and it's scary. It would be obvious to anyone halfway normal that some of them are gone in the head and heart. Their drug intake is that of anything they can get their hands on, and I m sure there's dealing also. The wads of cash, rec vehicles traded for drugs. Are they clean of having committed any murders? mmm I wouldn't put money on their ignorance even of what and who dd this.

I've never been fully on board with the theory the killers were a bunch of meth heads. They can be frenzied and somewhat organized, but also paranoid, wildly impulsive and easily distracted. Someone like that, trying to murder 8 people in 4 different locations, would have gone off the rails and messed up at some point that night. They would have been easily spooked by any of the victims waking up and fighting back, prone to shooting wildly and probably killing the small children or infant nearby. They would have been freaked out and paranoid of the dogs, probably killing some of them, too. They would have constantly been paranoid about someone (friends, family or LE) driving down the road or pulling into the driveways. The crime scene left behind would have been more disorganized with doors left unlocked and open, video cameras and evidence left behind, etc.

Whomever committed these murders had the ability to keep a cool head, unemotional, not jumpy or overreacting to every victim who fought back, dog that barked, cell phone that rang or car that drove down the road. They were in control of their emotions, thoughts, plans and the environment in which they were "working". They were probably able to keep it together for an extended period of time, getting everything done, without mistakes, in a relatively short period of time.

ETA: I don't know any meth heads, but would they have been capable of planning and rehearsing a murder spree like this one?

You ever been around meth users who weren't full blown tweakers? They get stuff done. They'll organize the $5 movie bins in a Walmart, and create a new stocking system while the are at it.

You ever been around meth users who weren't full blown tweakers? They get stuff done. They'll organize the $5 movie bins in a Walmart, and create a new stocking system while the are at it.

I'm sure that's true when it comes to activities where they don't feel threatened. But aren't they also extremely paranoid and impulsive when paranoid? It's one thing to organize and clean their home, but another when sneaking into 4 different homes to try to murder people in their sleep who are protected by vicious dogs, armed and ready to call for help. It would take very little for those scenes to become chaotic for the killers and if on meth, their paranoia and twitchiness (for lack of a better word) had to be very high. Some of those victims did awaken and fight back. If using meth, they had to be very experienced at breaking, entering and killing people in the dark.

I'm sure that's true when it comes to activities where they don't feel threatened. But aren't they also extremely paranoid and impulsive when paranoid? It's one thing to organize and clean their home, but another when sneaking into 4 different homes to try to murder people in their sleep who are protected by vicious dogs, armed and ready to call for help. It would take very little for those scenes to become chaotic for the killers and if on meth, their paranoia and twitchiness (for lack of a better word) had to be very high. Some of those victims did awaken and fight back. If using meth, they had to be very experienced at breaking, entering and killing people in the dark.

Not when they are controlled users, and just use it to get $h*t done. Its when they go off the rails, on it, that they freak all the way out and see demons comin' out the microwave... they're dangerous then too, but easily pegged.

Not when they are controlled users, and just use it to get $h*t done. Its when they go off the rails, on it, that they freak all the way out and see demons comin' out the microwave... they're dangerous then too, but easily pegged.

Ok, I see what you're saying. If they were meth users, they weren't heavy addicts, per se, but people who just use it when they need to. Makes sense. Doesn't our own military sometimes give these types of drugs to soldiers when they have to fight or go on missions all night, for long periods? I could see experienced killers / hit men doing this, too.

Ok, I see what you're saying. If they were meth users, they weren't heavy addicts, per se, but people who just use it when they need to. Makes sense. Doesn't our own military sometimes give these types of drugs to soldiers when they have to fight or go on missions all night, for long periods? I could see experienced killers / hit men doing this, too.
I can only speak as to what I know about the drug, and the different types of users, that I have seen. Not everyone who uses looks like the folks on the posters in the high school hallways.

I can only speak as to what I know about the drug, and the different types of users, that I have seen. Not everyone who uses looks like the folks on the posters in the high school hallways.
A meth user that I know works in international banking for one of the most prestigious investment firms on Wall St, other users look like the posters. When it comes to cold and calculated executions I would pick the banker. He's not completely addled, yet.
This doesn't mean that I'm giving up on a gang theory! The one member, that is stuck in my head, has moved out of the area. "put ohio n my rearview...6ut im tired of runnin..tired of runnin..runnin from the law" dated 4/20. Bestie of Cr*bt**e.
LE has spent most of this year hauling in gang members, we see it on the news. Have they always been heavy on them, or is it just since the massacre?

A meth user that I know works in international banking for one of the most prestigious investment firms on Wall St, other users look like the posters. When it comes to cold and calculated executions I would pick the banker. He's not completely addled, yet.
This doesn't mean that I'm giving up on a gang theory! The one member, that is stuck in my head, has moved out of the area. "put ohio n my rearview...6ut im tired of runnin..tired of runnin..runnin from the law" dated 4/20. Bestie of Cr*bt**e.
LE has spent most of this year hauling in gang members, we see it on the news. Have they always been heavy on them, or is it just since the massacre?
Someone I had almost 2 decades of friendship with is on meth, but I had no clue at the time this person was a meth addict. They came off as working hard, losing weight that they said they were trying to lose, and determined to just get stuff done in life. I had absolutely ZERO clue this person was using meth. This person did however seem to have anger over things that were minuscule in nature. At one point, this person became angry at me for something they did wrong and the exact words said to me were “ill gut you like a fish”. That’s when I said to myself, yep you’ve lost your mind and I want nothing to do with you. This person was obviously a high functioning addict who was able to hide their addiction well, but hindsight is 20/20 and the truth snuck out in forms of aggressive responses and rage over literally nothing.

My point is, a meth addict, or any addict for that matter, can be both a functioning addict and an addict who snaps. Maybe the person who committed these murders falls in that category-someone who’s on drugs and has the world fooled, but snapped the night of April 21/morning of April 22, 2016.

The R murders could almost be a carbon copy of this crime right down to the suspects taking a computer that was hooked to security cameras and the cameras being destroyed both inside and outside the house.

The killers were the uncles and cousins of the murder victims who were killed because the uncles were upset that Russell Campbell's mother (sister of the suspects) had given her son a house located on the family "homeplace" as a wedding gift.

ETA: Tony Friend was Russell Porters uncle and Phillip Friend and Dusty Hicks were his cousins. Robert Campbell is the brother-in-law of Tony Friend and Kay Simmons (Russell Porter's mother).

GUILTY - MO - Russell, 34, & Rebecca Porter, 46, Willard, 17 April 2011 | Websleuths
Cable show airing Sunday to feature 2011 murders of Willard couple
~UPDATED~Windy Friend Murder Trial: State's Star Witness Says The Porters Kept Asking "Why": - The Crime Scene

Between smoking meth and cigarettes the plan to kidnap the Porters was put in motion. At some point in the 24 hour "meth bender" Phillip said he, his dad and Dusty Hicks all took showers" to wash any loose hairs" off their bodies the evening of April 17th "so we wouldn't leave behind any of our DNA."

Tony told his son he was being paid to "take two birthdays."

On the way to the farmhouse the Porters had recently renovated there was a stop. Dusty Hicks went into the Wal Mart at Kansas Expressway and I-44. He came out with a bottle of bleach that would be used later.
When Windy, Tony, Phillip and Dusty arrived at Robert Campbell's property that night Tony was driving. When Tony got out he took duct tape and wrapped it around the bottom of his pants legs and around the gloves he put on his hands. He tied a bandana around his face.

Phillip put on a paintball mask and Dusty put on a bandana to conceal their identities. Tony had a gun....so did Dusty.

Phillip said he eventually agreed to help kidnap the Porters, who Tony said "were snitches." Tony told his son "they had to get rid of their [the Porters] family or they [Robert and Carolyn Campbell] will get rid of mine."

Last edited:
The killers could have easily been on Meth the night of the murders imo.In fact,it could have been the one thing that finally gave them the courage they needed to pull it off.It could have been the one leading contribution that pushed them over the edge to even try and commit even a robbery that turned deadly and in a hurry...Methodical and ruthless without any emotions except to come in and take care of business....My opinion now of whoever did this and if they were on meth,has some regrets now.

The killers could have easily been on Meth the night of the murders imo.In fact,it could have been the one thing that finally gave them the courage they needed to pull it off.It could have been the one leading contribution that pushed them over the edge to even try and commit even a robbery that turned deadly and in a hurry...Methodical and ruthless without any emotions except to come in and take care of business....My opinion now of whoever did this and if they were on meth,has some regrets now.

BBM
I'm not following, here, but, I agree that whoever did this could have been on a meth high. I almost think that meth, or another hard drug, may have been at the root. "It's bigger than a couple hundred pot plants", loosely quoting Reader.

Edit: Got it, after the high wore off, they may be regretting things. Idk... according to who it is, I think. If it's someone who thought they were there for a beat down, or a robbery, but not murder, they're probably feeling kinda scared.

Last edited:
BBM
I'm not following, here, but, I agree that whoever did this could have been on a meth high. I almost think that meth, or another hard drug, may have been at the root. "It's bigger than a couple hundred pot plants", loosely quoting Reader.

Edit: Got it, after the high wore off, they may be regretting things. Idk... according to who it is, I think. If it's someone who thought they were there for a beat down, or a robbery, but not murder, they're probably feeling kinda scared.

Meth has a way of removing all Inhibitions and opening up our souls to do things we wouldn't normally do and what I mean by maybe having regrets,is when they "came down" they might be like what I just did,I can't believe.I'm just speaking from personal experience with the drug and I can see the killers def being high of meth,crystal,ice,some potent stuff that can make your hair stand up.

I have always thought a biker gang (Local) was Involved and that drugs,money,revenge and sending a strong message was the motive.A paid hit and this is my original theory.So with that I can def see Meth playing a substantial role in the murders,R's and their affiliates.

I'm one of those people who have always been fascinated with Manson and the whole Helter Skelter murders.I read in Tex Watson's book that it was meth that drove him over the edge to kill for Manson.He said he was like a machine,going through the Tate house like a methodical zombie that was just doing what he was ordered to do.I know this is OT but here's a link about Tex on the night on speed at the Tate residence.

Charles Denton “Tex” Watson…The Man Behind The Monster Part Four – The Interviews, Part F

Meth has a way of removing all Inhibitions and opening up our souls to do things we wouldn't normally do and what I mean by maybe having regrets,is when they "came down" they might be like what I just did,I can't believe.I'm just speaking from personal experience with the drug and I can see the killers def being high of meth,crystal,ice,some potent stuff that can make your hair stand up.

I have always thought a biker gang (Local) was Involved and that drugs,money,revenge and sending a strong message was the motive.A paid hit and this is my original theory.So with that I can def see Meth playing a substantial role in the murders,R's and their affiliates.

BBM
Gotcha. The overkill alone, speaks to unleashed anger, to me.

The story about the Porters, that Raisin linked, above, came to light from a jailhouse testimony.

One key piece of evidence, Merrell said, was a jailhouse confession.

Campbell, in an emotional state following a prayer service, made an admission to his cellmate at the Jasper County Jail that he had hired Tony Friend to kill the Porters.

Merrell said the evidence presented at trial shed some light on Campbell's motive. He said Campbell believed the Porters were spying on him and reporting his activity to police. He said Campbell was also jealous about the portion of the family land the Porters were living on.

Last of 5 defendants found guilty in 2011 murders of Willard couple

According to testimony, one of the reasons for the discord was the transfer of the family homestead that Kay made to Rusty.

On April 16th another meeting was held in the basement of the Friends' apartment. Present were Windy Friend, Tony Friend, Dusty Hicks, Phillip Friend, Robert Arnold and Autumn Huff, a 16 year-old runaway.

Between smoking meth and cigarettes the plan to kidnap the Porters was put in motion. At some point in the 24 hour "meth bender" Phillip said he, his dad and Dusty Hicks all took showers" to wash any loose hairs" off their bodies the evening of April 17th "so we wouldn't leave behind any of our DNA."

http://www.ccscrnews.com/uploads/1/7/7/6/17767517/04-03-14_a_section.pdf

An uncle, had his kin, killed, over property, jealousy, and from the paranoia that his kin, who lived on the same land, were snitches. o_O How crazy is that? That's crazy, imo. What's even crazier, is that he talked four + people into doing it for him! Enlisted/threatened, a man, who brought in his wife, son, and friend. I am not ruling anything out of the R/HHG murders, at this point in the game. I've been wrong before, but, I do believe that hard drugs will play some part in this; how big, I'm not sure.

Sentencing today for Robert Campbell: The uncle found guilty of murdering Willard couple

The story about the Porters, that Raisin linked, above, came to light from a jailhouse testimony.

Last of 5 defendants found guilty in 2011 murders of Willard couple

http://www.ccscrnews.com/uploads/1/7/7/6/17767517/04-03-14_a_section.pdf

An uncle, had his kin, killed, over property, jealousy, and from the paranoia that his kin, who lived on the same land, were snitches. o_O How crazy is that? That's crazy, imo. What's even crazier, is that he talked four + people into doing it for him! Enlisted/threatened, a man, who brought in his wife, son, and friend. I am not ruling anything out of the R/HHG murders, at this point in the game. I've been wrong before, but, I do believe that hard drugs will play some part in this; how big, I'm not sure.

Sentencing today for Robert Campbell: The uncle found guilty of murdering Willard couple

We may never know the whole story. If any local, or area, "upstanding" citizens were involved in something illicit they wanted kept quiet, the perpetrators may have been taken out, too. No better way to keep a secret than to have no one alive to tell it...

If someone was told they could have all the drugs and cash found if they took these people out, that could have been motive enough for some. Especially if they were told it would be a big score. Infinite possibilities with the little info LE has released....

The R murders could almost be a carbon copy of this crime right down to the suspects taking a computer that was hooked to security cameras and the cameras being destroyed both inside and outside the house.

The killers were the uncles and cousins of the murder victims who were killed because the uncles were upset that Russell Campbell's mother (sister of the suspects) had given her son a house located on the family "homeplace" as a wedding gift.

ETA: Tony Friend was Russell Porters uncle and Phillip Friend and Dusty Hicks were his cousins. Robert Campbell is the brother-in-law of Tony Friend and Kay Simmons (Russell Porter's mother).

GUILTY - MO - Russell, 34, & Rebecca Porter, 46, Willard, 17 April 2011 | Websleuths
Cable show airing Sunday to feature 2011 murders of Willard couple
~UPDATED~Windy Friend Murder Trial: State's Star Witness Says The Porters Kept Asking "Why": - The Crime Scene

On the way to the farmhouse the Porters had recently renovated there was a stop. Dusty Hicks went into the Wal Mart at Kansas Expressway and I-44. He came out with a bottle of bleach that would be used later.
When Windy, Tony, Phillip and Dusty arrived at Robert Campbell's property that night Tony was driving. When Tony got out he took duct tape and wrapped it around the bottom of his pants legs and around the gloves he put on his hands. He tied a bandana around his face.

Phillip put on a paintball mask and Dusty put on a bandana to conceal their identities. Tony had a gun....so did Dusty.

Phillip said he eventually agreed to help kidnap the Porters, who Tony said "were snitches." Tony told his son "they had to get rid of their [the Porters] family or they [Robert and Carolyn Campbell] will get rid of mine."

Oh, yeah, I remember when these murders happened. It's certainly possible, but the Rhoden murders were this x4 all in a couple hours or less. There were more killers involved, IMO, and more planning. This wasn't something that happened as a result of a 24 hr meth bender. I'm still with LE -DEA, FBI, etc. that this was a professional hit, pro or semi-pro.

Anyone ever wonder if cocaine trafficking was involved? The news recently has featured a few very big cocaine busts. As crazy as it seems, that drug is still popular. I know when we've discussed it in the past, theories focused on the Hwy 23 drug pipeline and traffic coming from the southeast US - like FL or the Carolinas. Did the W family have any connections in that direction?

I still think CR1 and KR were only involved in MJ. LE would have mentioned it if other drugs were found there. But they could have gotten killed by some boss also involved in that trade. They could have been holding money for them. The W family custody battles caused tempers to flare, fights to start and the big regional bosses, who were already getting a lot of heat for missing/dead women in Chillicothe, among other things, decided it was time to make an example of someone and show everyone who is boss.

If someone was told they could have all the drugs and cash found if they took these people out, that could have been motive enough for some. Especially if they were told it would be a big score. Infinite possibilities with the little info LE has released....

A while back, there was a link posted to an article about a teenager who became a hit man for drug bosses in Detroit . He said that receiving all or a portion of the money/drugs they confiscate is a standard part of the hit man's agreement. IIRC, they can usually keep whatever they find. Searching a victim's home for drugs or cash is risky business, though. They have to work fast and stay very alert. Alarms may have been triggered, neighbors or witnesses may have heard gunshots and sent others in to catch them, etc.

Davontae Sanford’s road to freedom: An interactive study

Hit man Smothers describes killing drug dealer in ’04

Another hit man interview

JMO, it may have been JW who did surveillance beforehand and handled the dogs the night of the killings. The killers (probably 2 or more teams) went in to do the dirty work. Had to be at least 2 teams to be able to kill CR1 & GR and FR and HHG next door without one of them waking up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member