GUILTY NC - Kathleen Peterson, 48, found dead in her Durham home, 9 Dec 2001

What is everyone's thoughts on MP's sister's version of his innocence/guilt???
Justice Magazine § Real people True stories

When Your Brother Is a Murderer
The sister of convicted murderer Michael Peterson writes a heartfelt letter to Justice columnist katie coolady about the forgotten victims of violent crime.
See link above.
What a great read. And what an honest woman. You first have to be honest with yourself to be considered honest.

This is probably the only case I have ever been so torn on. The evidence was contaminated, as well as the crime s
On one hand it’s odd to me that their own children who lived with them attested to them having a wonderful marriage and being soulmates. On the other hand he clearly lied about SOMETHING with the timeline of events of Kathleen’s death, and a loving grieving husband has no reason to lie.

The things that jumped out at me the most though is that you don't really see much emotion from this man. I mean he served YEARS in prison and didn't seem too concerned about it. His lawyer claims to believe h is innocent but in my opinion, his actions don't reflect that whatsoever, he even said something along the lines of "its not a matter of if he's guilty or not, it's a matter of if they can prove it"
Also a question I have, what happened to MPs brother Bill during the newer episodes of The Staircase?

cene. Reports from Duane Deaver arent reliable. The documentaru The staircase was extremely bias... there’s just nowhere to turn for solid evidence.

You do what the jury did, look at the crime scene photos. The condition of the blood in the staircase (some of it has clearly been wiped, as in someone trying to clean it up), the amount of blood in the staircase and on the floor, and the condition and type of injuries on Kathleen Peterson's body are not indicative of a fall. You don't need anyone to interpret the photos for you, just look at them. I don't care what anybody says, you can google research on the injuries of a people who fall down the stairs, and this is not indicative of anything in the research. Scalp lacerations are not in any of the research.

What is typical in falls down stairs? injury to the head (such as a concussion)/back/neck, bruises, and sprains/dislocations/fractures. None of these injuries would produce the amount of blood in the Peterson staircase.

CNN.com - Disturbing images of body shown to jury at novelist's murder trial - Jul. 21, 2003

Injuries on stairs occur in all age groups and abilities

The scenes where Mike's kids are visiting him in jail during the hearings regarding Deavers etc, it seemed the kids hadn't seen their dad in a while. I've never had a family member in jail but one would assume visits would be ongoing for a loved family member. Perhaps distance is a barrier.

Also - in those jail visit scenes where Todd says he is trying really hard to make Mike a grandfather again - creepy and awkward.

Maybe i'm just picking things apart... but doesn't it seem like whenever he talks about or to the kids, the daughters take precedence over his biological sons? The girls, especially Margaret, seem obsessed by Peterson. Its truly strange to me.
All of the dynamics in this family are off, IMO. Maybe partly due to the mental gymnastics you would have to perform to believe in his innocence so completely.

My guess is that the strange atmosphere with that family is the product of years of manipulation by a sociopath (MP). He probably rewarded fawning admiration and played them all off against each other, being unspeakably cruel and cold if you did anything he determined to be wrong. As such they were trained to compete with each other to be the most reverent, the most idolising, for fear of being the unfavoured. It's a similar tactic that cult leaders use - a form of brainwashing. Domestic abusers also use it - love bombing and then sudden withdrawal of love - leaving the victim constantly treading on egg-shells and living in a world of mirrors never knowing what's coming next.

She was in "The Staircase" and was seen in court when Michael took the Alford plea. I do wonder where Bill went for the additional episodes.

~...In the Staircase that was just released on Netflix? I'm actually seeing a good bit about her now. I'm watching "The Staircase Murders" and she's on there. I figured if anyone knew if he had a temper she would, but even so she probably wouldn't want to say anything for the sake of her relationship with the boys(one of those boys, Todd the youngest I think I get them confused, seems to me like he's a real jerk/bully).

Maybe i'm just picking things apart... but doesn't it seem like whenever he talks about or to the kids, the daughters take precedence over his biological sons? The girls, especially Margaret, seem obsessed by Peterson. Its truly strange to me.

(BBM)
~I was just thinking this today! It seems so strange/not normal the way they act & carry on about MP. I've also noticed a striking resemblance between the oldest girl and the oldest boy(If Clayton is the oldest).

Yes that is her.

~Oh wow ...I didn't realizeo_O ...I'd been thinking she was just a friend from Germany! Thanks for that :)! ~I also found this with regard to what I was saying about her(Patty) knowing if he had a temper. It is a statement analysis of an interview she gave to MP's defense attorney David Rudolph's wife, Sonya Pfeiffer, I believe and ask questions regarding his temper ...It doesn't give much away, but it is interesting. Michael Peterson Trial

This article is not just about Michael Peterson, but other well-known murder cases in NC. I hope I have put this in the right place... It includes Jeffrey MacDonald, and others. It's a great read. Feel free to copy it to other WS cases covered in this write-up.
The Peterson write-up is located after some of the others.
===================================================================
"Beyond 'The Staircase': Some of NC's other notorious true crime stories
The 21st-century citizen with 24-hour access to information continues to be obsessed with things he cannot know. Stories of true crimes are especially intriguing, leaving an audience to wonder: What could drive another person to acts of such immense inhumanity?

'''Netflix’s “The Staircase,” about the Michael Peterson murder case in Durham, has sparked renewed interest this summer in other such memorable crimes.

Here are some of the most memorable cases."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read more here: Beyond 'The Staircase': Some of NC's other notorious true crime stories
================================================

Read more here: Beyond 'The Staircase': Some of NC's other notorious true crime stories

Not sure if posted before. Delete if so...

The Staircase: All the evidence for the 'owl theory' explained
Tuesday 3 July 2018

The theory is barely mentioned on the show, but many think it might a plausible explanation for the death of Kathleen Peterson

"… It might be the more plausible explanation. How can you explain all the cuts and lacerations and the absence of fractures? When you start thinking about the owl theory, and the kind of injuries she had, you start thinking maybe there is something there."

That is interesting. And not surprising the family would shun her like that. I do wonder why she refers to the ratcliffe girls as foster daughters - I thought MP and KP formally adopted them? I also wonder why she doesn’t seem to know Caitlin at all. Wouldn’t it have been weird for Caitlin not to be part of family gatherings? Not criticism, just curiosity. I feel like the family dynamics here are all over the place.

The "daughters" were never adopted. I believe that made them entitled to a military death benefit, but who knows if that's the reason. I tend to believe that the MP was hard up enough for cash, especially before he sold his first book, that the income from the girls was meaningful, as much as MP minimizes it now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back