Resolved WY - Sweetwater, "Bitter Creek Betty", Wht/HispFem 24-32, 213UFWY, rose tatt/jewelry Mar'92 - N/A

Bump :bump:

Just read about this case today.

Not super familiar with this case, but Bitter Creek Betty was listed as a possible victim of the Great Basin Murders in an interactive article posted by APB News in the late 90s (found using the Wayback Machine).

On March 1, 1992, a trucker pausing at an Interstate 80 turnout known as Bitter Creek spotted a body lying face down in the snow, probably dumped from a truck months earlier.

The victim, a still-unidentified 24- to 32-year-old woman, was probably killed elsewhere and dumped near the westbound side of the highway between October 1991 and February 1992, said Detective Ed Robinson of the Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office.

The body, completely nude, appeared as if it had been dropped out of a truck and came to rest at the bottom of a slope. The cause of death was listed as an ice pick or similar object inserted in the victim's left nostril, penetrating her sphenoid bone. Examiners also found signs of strangulation, beating trauma to the face and jaw, as well as anal and vaginal sexual assault.

Authorities described the victim as a white woman with predominately Hispanic characteristics or Hispanic woman with American Indian characteristics. She was about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 125 to 130 pounds with dark brown or black hair and brown or black eyes. She had a vertical Cesarean scar on her abdomen and a one-inch scar on her left calf.

A distinctive tattoo of a rose on the victim's right breast led officials to Ralph Holley of Kick *advertiser censored* Tattooing near Triple-T Truck Stop in Tucson, Ariz. Holley, under hypnosis, remembered the woman and was able to give detectives a good account of their meeting. Listen to the interview.

The victim's only visible possessions were a gold-colored necklace and plain gold-colored wedding-type ring, which sat on her left ring finger. Detectives found a pair of pink panties and a pair of sweat pants nearby. Investigators managed to obtain an excellent set of fingerprints from the victim but have yet to learn her identity. Detectives have determined the killer's blood is type O.

Robinson said the sophistication of the killing points to the possible involvement of a serial offender.

BBM. Does anyone find it questionable that the tattoo artist only remembered her under hypnosis? I wonder if they have anything else more concrete tracing her tattoo to that particular shop. :thinking:

Jane Doe died 1-5 months prior to being found but she had a recognisable face. Isn't that weird? shouldn't her remains be decomposed by the time she was found?

Jane Doe died 1-5 months prior to being found but she had a recognisable face. Isn't that weird? shouldn't her remains be decomposed by the time she was found?

I believe I read, someone can correct me, that she was face down in the snow that preserved her..

BBM. Does anyone find it questionable that the tattoo artist only remembered her under hypnosis? I wonder if they have anything else more concrete tracing her tattoo to that particular shop. :thinking:

I didn't know about that - I'm not very informed of Bitter Creek Betty. That's very interesting. For some reason, I thought a picture of her tattoo was circulated in tattoo artist magazines. I'm mixing her up with somebody else I think.

I wonder how they found him.

I didn't know about that - I'm not very informed of Bitter Creek Betty. That's very interesting. For some reason, I thought a picture of her tattoo was circulated in tattoo artist magazines. I'm mixing her up with somebody else I think.

I wonder how they found him.

It sort of looks like the tattoo has initials or a signature under it. I wonder if they figured it out from that? Maybe the tattoo artist knew it was his work from the "signature" but didn't remember her so they used hypnosis? I just found that detail about hypnosis unusual. It makes me wonder how accurate the info was in regards to the time frame of when she got the tattoo. JMO.

I mean, if he was hypnotized, he might not have remembered it normally. You gotta think about how many people he must see in a day (week, month, year...). It's probably not that abnormal.

It sort of looks like the tattoo has initials or a signature under it. I wonder if they figured it out from that? Maybe the tattoo artist knew it was his work from the "signature" but didn't remember her so they used hypnosis? I just found that detail about hypnosis unusual. It makes me wonder how accurate the info was in regards to the time frame of when she got the tattoo. JMO.

There's no question he did the tattoo. It's just how much he remembers about the woman who got it.

Since we had never heard the part about hypnosis before, I have to wonder about the accuracy of that part of the article.

How was it discovered that he did it? I previously thought photos of the tattoo were put in tattoo magazines, but I think I'm getting confused with another case.

[h=1]Wyoming DCI continues work on 26-year-old murder case[/h]
SHERIDAN — Twenty-six years ago, a murderer dumped the body of a girl aged 17 to 23 years in Sheridan County. The victim remains unidentified, along with another girl killed by the same man and dumped in Sweetwater County.

Despite 26 years of separation between the incidents and today’s standing cold case, agents from the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation and other law enforcement agencies remain diligent in pursuing peace for the victim’s family.

“Now, they can’t speak for themselves. We have to speak for them,” DCI agent Loy Young said. “If we can identify them and lay them to rest properly, maybe give family members who have been wondering about them for 26 years some closure or at least a peace of mind knowing that they’re now resting in peace, that’s a win regardless.
Drastic improvements in DNA testing, including Parabon Snapshot phenotyping, ancestry and kinship analysis, helped reveal the ancestry of Jane Doe and determined Bitter Creek Betty was of South American and European descent, not Native American as previously estimated by agents.

Rick Weatherman, an anthropology professor at the University of Wyoming, helps corroborate or disprove hits or tips on cold cases by comparing cranium and dental structures. Because of his expertise, Weatherman helped solve another cold case in Wyoming through his isotope testing. Through Weatherman’s testing, it was revealed that Jane Doe was younger in age than the previous estimate. Because of those changes, new facial recognition renderings were created to help identify the victims.

Those photos have been shared across the nation in hopes of identifying the woman. A hobbyist out of the New England area, Liz Marshall, became intrigued by a blog, “Can You Identify Me?”, as a young teenager.

“It haunted me for years,” Marshall wrote in an email. “It was very morbid.”

The intrigue grew into a passion of matching missing persons cases to unidentified bodies, contacting investigators and making friends interested in true crime.

“After that, I just kept going with it,” Marshall said.

Marshall came across the two female victims on a website called WebSleuths. Several hobbyists created multiple websites to help investigators with their search for identification for bodies. Marshall was particularly drawn to Jane Doe and Bitter Creek Betty due to the lack of activity on their cases on those sites. She then created Facebook pages in hopes of helping move the investigation along.

Young, while hesitant to share artist renderings that may not be as accurate as he’d like, said any spark or tip deriving from those renderings is helpful in possible identification of the victims. He welcomed hobbyists or anyone with information to contact the investigating agents. Agents then compare tips to DNA or dental evidence of the victims.
Read more (long article): http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_881c3e12-e08c-5115-9aca-e8eb5544e3e0.html

BBM. Websleuths got a mention.:cheer:

How was it discovered that he did it? I previously thought photos of the tattoo were put in tattoo magazines, but I think I'm getting confused with another case.

I know he saw it somewhere and contacted LE, but I don't remember where he saw it. Seems like it might have been a newspaper article.

Pamela Dalton is on the ruleouts.
Unidentified Person Case

Sherry Bynum
Pamela Dalton
Vicki Nisbett
Amber Scholz
Tiffany Sessions
Virginia Uden
I'm sorry if this was asked before but are the rule out lists only available for registered users? I'm not logged in and I can't see any rule outs for any unidentified people.

I'm sorry if this was asked before but are the rule out lists only available for registered users? I'm not logged in and I can't see any rule outs for any unidentified people.

Yes, you have to be registered and logged in to see the ruleouts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back