Resolved WY - Sweetwater, "Bitter Creek Betty", Wht/HispFem 24-32, 213UFWY, rose tatt/jewelry Mar'92 - N/A

Heres something odd I found. I don't think it has anything to do with the case but this John Doe in Canada has a really similar tattoo???
showImage

Canada's Missing | Case details

Is it just me???

Edit: Sorry for hijacking with another case, but I'm interested if you think it might be the same tattoo artist? I'm not familiar with tattoos, so I don't know how common those similarities would be...

Last edited:
Seems promising! It is known if she had her tattoo done at the same gas station? Regardless, her resemblance is a possibility! Great find!

Guys, by looking at Norine's picture, it seems that she has an overbite, what do you think?

I am new to trying to identify doe's to missing people. its also sad to see a lot of does that could be easy to identify but just haven't been reported or report not available.

this doe (bitter betty creek) caught my eye. I am not from America so I don't have much of a clue when it comes to states, places, and what is likely and unlikely.

i have found a possible id that i have submitted just in case even though it could be nothing i would rather submit than dismiss.

there's only a few things that would not make it possible

mp went missing 3 months before uid was found. uid estimated death was 1-5 months prior.

dna showed that uid was from European and south American decent. mp was from Houston texas i presume that is south?

same colour eyes and hair (i know that is not much to go on but still a factor)

both had a rose tattoo on the right breast. i don't know if that is popular in the states.

the height doesn't match up but as a friend said to me it could possibly be a typo or estimated.

the race uid is Hispanic and the mp is white/cuacasian.

mp had another tattoo of a leaf on the left leg, could that not be noticeable with decomposition? but the uid does have a scar on the left leg.

there is not much information on mp even when trying to do some research into her there does not seem to be much information either.

like wise said i did submit this just in case there's a slightest of possibility.

thoughts on this?

i have attached both mp and uid.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

213UFWY

(sorry if this sounds stupid or pathetic.. i'm new and still learning so any tips would be great as well.)

Welcome to websleuths! It looks like it could be a match. Worst case you've ruled someone out. Anyone looking up matches between missing people and the UID have my total respect. I'm horrible at faces (on living people lol). Hopefully you keep posting.

I did submit the mp Sheila sue conner she went missing in the December of 1991 which would fit into the 1-5 prior. dna from doe is European and south American decent mp was from texas which I presume is south America. both brow hair brown eyes both with rose tattoo on the right breast even if it is nothing I have submitted this even if there is the slightest of possibility.

mp
thoughts?

I did submit the mp Sheila sue conner she went missing in the December of 1991 which would fit into the 1-5 prior. dna from doe is European and south American decent mp was from texas which I presume is south America. both brow hair brown eyes both with rose tattoo on the right breast even if it is nothing I have submitted this even if there is the slightest of possibility.

mp
thoughts?

Good find! I was reading her Charley project page and it mentioned a tattoo of a leaf on her leg and a scar near her chin, I don’t know if those features went unnoticed by the ME however, it’s a possibility.

has anyone mentioned The rose looks similar to a depeche mode tat .......and it was 92 so that fits.

mp
thoughts?

Shelia had some other tattoos on her arms as well, but who knows what was visible after decomposition. The height difference makes me pause but we've seen some pretty big discrepancies between UIDs and their matches before. I think it was definitely worth submitting and I'm glad you did!

Just so you know, I think they're referring to the continent South America, not southern United States. They mean she was descended from Europeans and South Americans (think Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina), not that she was from those places.

The Doe Network:
Case File 213UFWY

Unidentified White Female

• Located on March 1 , 1992 in Sweetwater, Wyoming

• Cause of death was homicide. The victim had been stabbed and strangled.
Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 24 - 32 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8" (173 cm); 125 - 130 pounds (57-59 kg)
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: She was White with predominately Hispanic characteristics or Hispanic with Native characteristics. Dark brown or black hair and brown or black eyes. She had a vertical Cesarean scar on her abdomen and a one-inch scar on her left calf.
    [*]Clothing: She wore a gold-colored necklace and a plain gold-colored wedding-type ring, which sat on her left ring finger. Detectives found a pair of pink panties and a pair of sweat pants nearby.
    [*]Dentals: Avaiable some dentistry
    [*]Tattoos: She had a distinctive tattoo of a rose on the right breast.
Case History
On March 1, 1992, a trucker pausing at an Interstate 80 turnout known as Bitter Creek spotted the victim's body lying face down in the snow, probably dumped from a truck months earlier.

The victim was probably killed elsewhere and dumped near the westbound side of the highway between October 1991 and February 1992.

The body, completely nude, appeared as if it had been dropped out of a truck and came to rest at the bottom of a slope. The cause of death was listed as an ice pick or similar object inserted in the victim's left nostril, penetrating her sphenoid bone. Examiners also found signs of strangulation, beating trauma to the face and jaw, as well as anal and vaginal sexual assault.

The sophistication of the killing points to the possible involvement of a serial offender. Investigators managed to obtain an excellent set of fingerprints from the victim but have yet to learn her identity. Detectives have determined the killer's blood is type O.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office
Detective Mark Ferman
307-352-6720
NCIC Number:
U-549593815
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Detectives have determined the killer's blood is type O

What about running DNA on the Killers Type O blood sample?

Good find! I was reading her Charley project page and it mentioned a tattoo of a leaf on her leg and a scar near her chin, I don’t know if those features went unnoticed by the ME however, it’s a possibility.

well I submitted her just in case I did get an email back saying that them two have not been matched before which I do think is unusual given the similarities.

Has anyone looked at the recently indicted Samuel Legg III from Ohio in Bitter Creek Betty's case? He was indicted for rape of a 17 y.o. victim in 1997 and the murder of Sharon Kedzierski that occurred on April 8, 1992. Her body was found at a trucker stop in Austintown, Ohio. She was only identified in the past few years by DNA. He, too, was identified through DNA evidence. There are some striking similarities:

1. He was a truck driver during this time, heavily traveling I-80 between Ohio and California.

2. Victim died of blunt force trauma to the head,face, chest, and asphyxiation. I also found a note in old newspaper articles that she had two holes in her forehead that could not be linked to gunshot wounds. Interesting since Bitter Creek Betty was essentially lobotomized, putting holes in her inner forehead area.

3. Same time frame, April 1992 killing of Sharon Kedzierski compared to the time frame of Betty and the Sheridan Co. Jane Doe (Wyoming).

4. Same weight range, same hair color, similar heights (she was a bit shorter), but she was much older, in her late 40's.

5. Victim was found partially nude, in men's underpants.

There is also news out there that he is DNA linked to 3 other truck stop type murders in Ohio, but I am having a hard time finding any further details so far on those murders. I'll keep searching the newspaper databases and see if I can find any old clippings of potential victims found that might be connected. There was also a note I found in news searching that he may be linked to a truck stop killing in Illinois as well.

I imagine though, since there is DNA in Betty's case and in Samuel Legg's case, that a hit would have come across when his was entered?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back