GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

Am I a creep for just saying he's "nasty butt ugly and repulsive to look at", in place of didn't age as gracefully?

Because I think we just need to speak the truth. He actually looks like a little girl's Boogey Man.
He looks like any girl's, of any age, Boogey Man.
Thank you for saying this. I’m going to say something & I hope everyone here can forgive my bluntness:
As a mother of 4 kids, when I saw this ’s demented, twisted face, it pi**ed me off even more than I already was knowing what he did to April. My heart broke in a place I never knew was there for that to be the last face April had to see...I’m beyond sickened. I can’t even find the words.

One word: Polaroids

I think that is important to think about, given the age of this person of interest. If you have an older offender (and this is not necessarily true, but something to consider) AND technology happens as at a faster rate than the time or interest of the POI (or he can’t, won’t, or doesn’t keep up) it makes sense he would stick with the familiar. Some people get stuck on the hair styles of their formative years, and don’t change, and I think technology could be the same for this guy. So, yes, Polaroid was what the technology he was familiar, and he may have gotten stuck there. Thinking out loud.

I think that is important to think about, given the age of this person of interest. If you have an older offender (and this is not necessarily true, but something to consider) AND technology happens as at a faster rate than the time or interest of the POI (or he can’t, won’t, or doesn’t keep up) it makes sense he would stick with the familiar. Some people get stuck on the hair styles of their formative years, and don’t change, and I think technology could be the same for this guy. So, yes, Polaroid was what the technology he was familiar, and he may have gotten stuck there. Thinking out loud.
I believe he took Polaroids of his lower extremities & placed them with the condoms that he left at little girls’ homes. So it made me think he would have kept Polaroids (perhaps of the crime) as souvenirs.

Thursday, July 19th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9am CT) - IN - April Marie Tinsley (8) (April 1, 1988; found April 4, 1988) - John D. Miller (59/29 @ time of crime) arrested (7/15/18), charged (7/16/18) & indicted (7/19/18) on murder, child molesting & criminal confinement. No bail. Confessed, DNA linked by Parabon Nanolabs.
7/16/18 Update: Judge gives pros 72 hours (Thursday 7/19) to formally charge suspect.

I looked up his court site docket - they added another date too:

07/19/2018 Hearing Scheduling Activity
Hearing scheduled for 08/03/2018 at 8:30 AM.

07/19/2018 Hearing Scheduling Activity
Hearing scheduled for 09/10/2018 at 8:30 AM.

08/03/2018 Hearing
Session: 08/03/2018 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Surbeck, John F, Jr.
Comment: Trial Setting/JFS

09/10/2018 Hearing
Session: 09/10/2018 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Surbeck, John F, Jr.
Comment: Omni/JFS

He actually does resemble "Bridge Guy" from Abby and Libby's case. Especially through the eyes and nose area. I suspect we'll know soon enough if his DNA is a match to what they collected in that case.

First court hearing held on formal charges against suspect in April Tinsley murder in Fort Wayne

JUL 19, 2018

"John D. Miller sat quietly and provided short answers to the judge’s questions during his initial hearing Thursday on formal charges of murder and Class A felony child molesting in connection with the 1988 abduction and death of 8-year-old April Marie Tinsley.

Miller, 59, of the 13700 block of Main Street in Grabill, was dressed in orange-and-white-striped coveralls from the Allen County Jail. His hands were cuffed and shackled to his feet.

Tinsley’s mother, Janet, and about a dozen family members and/or friends also sat quietly through the brief hearing in the first two rows of the Allen Circuit Courtroom gallery seating. A least one member of the family used a tissue to wipe tears from her eyes.

Family members declined to speak with media after the hearing....

If Miller is convicted, Surbeck said he must be sentenced according to penalties in effect in 1988, when the crime allegedly was committed.

At that time, a person convicted of murder could receive a sentence of 30-60 years and a person convicted of Class A felony child molesting could receive a sentence of 20-40 years, Surbeck said

First court hearing held on formal charges against suspect in April Tinsley murder in Fort Wayne | News, Sports, Jobs - News-Sentinel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First court hearing held on formal charges against suspect in April Tinsley murder in Fort Wayne

JUL 19, 2018

"John D. Miller sat quietly and provided short answers to the judge’s questions during his initial hearing Thursday on formal charges of murder and Class A felony child molesting in connection with the 1988 abduction and death of 8-year-old April Marie Tinsley.

Miller, 59, of the 13700 block of Main Street in Grabill, was dressed in orange-and-white-striped coveralls from the Allen County Jail. His hands were cuffed and shackled to his feet.

Tinsley’s mother, Janet, and about a dozen family members and/or friends also sat quietly through the brief hearing in the first two rows of the Allen Circuit Courtroom gallery seating. A least one member of the family used a tissue to wipe tears from her eyes.

Family members declined to speak with media after the hearing....

If Miller is convicted, Surbeck said he must be sentenced according to penalties in effect in 1988, when the crime allegedly was committed.

At that time, a person convicted of murder could receive a sentence of 30-60 years and a person convicted of Class A felony child molesting could receive a sentence of 20-40 years, Surbeck said

First court hearing held on formal charges against suspect in April Tinsley murder in Fort Wayne | News, Sports, Jobs - News-Sentinel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30-60 yrs in jail?? Does that mean no death penalty?

30-60 yrs in jail?? Does that mean no death penalty?

More from the article:

"If Miller is convicted, Surbeck said he must be sentenced according to penalties in effect in 1988, when the crime allegedly was committed.

At that time, a person convicted of murder could receive a sentence of 30-60 years and a person convicted of Class A felony child molesting could receive a sentence of 20-40 years, Surbeck said.

The prosecution also can request the death penalty for a person who was age 18 at the time of committing a murder."
----

he was over 18 at the time- maybe he was around 29 years old?

Lets see: 2018- 1988= 30 years

He's 59 now and so 30 years ago he was 29.

And they do have the DP in Indiana:

Capital punishment in Indiana

Capital punishment in Indiana - Wikipedia

He is caught, and older. I know the family would like to have a firm death penalty sentence for the atrocity he has committed. On the other hand, if he is convicted, he will die in prison and can’t hurt anyone else.

Little April did not deserve this. This new technology is a breakthrough in forensic science. I hope the world is paying attention to this new crime fighting tool, as well as the little girl who played an important part in it.

More from the article:

"If Miller is convicted, Surbeck said he must be sentenced according to penalties in effect in 1988, when the crime allegedly was committed.

At that time, a person convicted of murder could receive a sentence of 30-60 years and a person convicted of Class A felony child molesting could receive a sentence of 20-40 years, Surbeck said.

The prosecution also can request the death penalty for a person who was age 18 at the time of committing a murder."
----

he was over 18 at the time- maybe he was around 29 years old?

Lets see: 2018- 1988= 30 years

He's 59 now and so 30 years ago he was 29.

And they do have the DP in Indiana:

Capital punishment in Indiana

Capital punishment in Indiana - Wikipedia
Thank you so much for explaining this! I understand it now :)

Miller, 59, was arrested on Sunday and faced court for the second time on Thursday.

While she was too upset to attend the alleged killer's first appearance, April's mother Janet sat in the front row as Miller was assigned public defender Anthony Churchward, WPTA reported.

This week, she told reporters she had just one word to say to Miller if she was given the chance: 'why'.

'The only thing I'd probably say to him is why. I just wanna know why, and to see if he can come up with a good answer,' she told WANE-TV.

April Tinsley's mother sits in front row of court as her child's alleged killer pleads not guilty | Daily Mail Online

I don’t think April’s mum is going to get an answer why other than he is a murdering paedophile monster.

Miller, 59, was arrested on Sunday and faced court for the second time on Thursday.

While she was too upset to attend the alleged killer's first appearance, April's mother Janet sat in the front row as Miller was assigned public defender Anthony Churchward, WPTA reported.

This week, she told reporters she had just one word to say to Miller if she was given the chance: 'why'.

'The only thing I'd probably say to him is why. I just wanna know why, and to see if he can come up with a good answer,' she told WANE-TV.

April Tinsley's mother sits in front row of court as her child's alleged killer pleads not guilty | Daily Mail Online

I don’t think April’s mum is going to get an answer why other than he is a murdering paedophile monster.

This is such a tough aspect, understanding the why. It probably started early, with trolling about looking for a target, and it does appear to me, he could be responsible for more crimes than known. I think April’s mom is asking the question we all are... specifics on
the why. Hopefully he will be forthcoming so we can gain an understanding of why. It’s the only good thing left he could do at this point, and I hope his attorneys are advising him in that direction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back