GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

I personally don't think Miller looks like BG.... JMO.

I don’t think so either but hopefully he can be reused out with dna. I think BG looks younger and less disheveled but the sketch might be inaccurate.

I think he does somewhat resemble BG, especially around the nose/eyes area. However, I think his creepy teeth throw it all off.

This really irks me....they (Delphi, IN LE) either have DNA or they don’t....you’d think if they did have it, JM would be ruled out 100% by now. Sorry everybody...just frustrated.
I’m beyond thankful they caught JM for April & her family. I hope that whatever happens with JM it moves as quickly as possible. This family has waited way too long for justice. Let it reign!

April’s murderer potentially being caught is so groundbreaking from the ground up. If I could insert fireworks here, I would!

From the tidbits released from the media on the Delphi situation (here’s a good example: Delphi detectives working closely with investigators who cracked Fort Wayne cold case) there is some vagueness for sure if there was any useful DNA to upload to a genetic site. Hope there is, and if so, it will take these gifted people a while to work it out.

April’s case will hopefully lead to more use of this crime solving tool.

Reading through the case summary, on 7/19/18 there is an Order for Dismissal. Can someone explain that document? Does it really mean that the defendant has been released?

Reading through the case summary, on 7/19/18 there is an Order for Dismissal. Can someone explain that document? Does it really mean that the defendant has been released?
One would have to read the actual dismissal. It could be a dismissal of the whole case or a dismissal of one or more causes of action.

It's somewhat confusing to me as well.

From the action filed on the 16th it does in fact say that. But on the one filed on the 18th it looks like they've dropped the criminal confinement charge, and had the order to hold him without bail, granted.
Case Search - MyCase

Friday, August 3rd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) - IN - April Marie Tinsley (8) (April 1, 1988; found April 4, 1988) - John D. Miller (59/29 @ time of crime) arrested (7/15/18), charged (7/16/18) & indicted (7/19/18) on murder, child molesting & criminal confinement. No bail.
Confessed, DNA linked by Parabon Nanolabs.
7/16/18 Update: Judge gives pros 72 hours (Thursday 7/19) to formally charge suspect.
7/19/18 Update: Judge entered a not guilty plea. Next hearing is August 3rd to set trial date & Omnibus hearing on Sept. 10.

"FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) - Trial has been set for the man charged with murder in connection with Fort Wayne's most notorious cold case. A two-week jury trial is set to begin Feb.11 and end on Feb. 22.
John D. Miller appears in court, Tinsley trial date set

Video at link - and MAN is he one ugly individual. :eek:
One of the few cases where the Boogey Man actually looks like the Boogey Man.

from the article above posted by Ontario Mom ^^

Miller will appear in court for a pre-trial hearing on Oct. 5.

Now I have an Omnibus hearing on 9/10. Will go check the court site....

okay.... this is what the court site has:

07/19/2018 Hearing
Session: 07/19/2018 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
Comment: 72 Hour
Result: Commenced and concluded
07/19/2018 Order of Dismissal Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR

07/19/2018 Release on Own Recognizance Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
07/19/2018 Judgment Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
01. 35-42-1-1(1): Murder
• Dismissed
02. 35-42-4-3(a)/FB: Child Molesting
• Dismissed
03. 35-42-3-3(a)(1)/FC: Criminal Confinement-victim is under 14 years of age/not the defendant's child
• Dismissed

link: Case Search - MyCase

what's going on?? Charges dismissed? Did I miss something? I looked up his case # on this, which is/was 02-D05-1807-MC-002030

Did it go to another court's jurisdiction? Wouldn't it bring it up in the Indiana court site??
HELP!

okay.... this is what the court site has:

07/19/2018 Hearing
Session: 07/19/2018 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
Comment: 72 Hour
Result: Commenced and concluded
07/19/2018 Order of Dismissal Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR

07/19/2018 Release on Own Recognizance Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
07/19/2018 Judgment Judicial Officer: Ross, Robert E. - SR
01. 35-42-1-1(1): Murder
• Dismissed
02. 35-42-4-3(a)/FB: Child Molesting
• Dismissed
03. 35-42-3-3(a)(1)/FC: Criminal Confinement-victim is under 14 years of age/not the defendant's child
• Dismissed

link: Case Search - MyCase

what's going on?? Charges dismissed? Did I miss something? I looked up his case # on this, which is/was 02-D05-1807-MC-002030

Did it go to another court's jurisdiction? Wouldn't it bring it up in the Indiana court site??
HELP!

Here’s the new case number. They dismissed that one and filed a new one two days later. Case number
02D06-1807-MR-000015

Case Search - MyCase

I do wonder what the reasoning is for dropping the confinement charge. Obviously it happened, so why would they drop the charge?

February trial in Tinsley slaying
Defense may look into Miller's competency

August 04, 2018

"....Miller, 59, was in Allen Superior Court on Friday for a hearing, where a judge set a two-week trial to begin Feb. 11.

Indiana trial rules typically call for defendants to be tried within six months of being charged with a crime, but the February date was scheduled to provide time for attorneys to prepare for what is expected to be a complicated case.

Anticipating a larger-than-normal amount of paperwork and evidence gathered over three decades, public defender Anthony Churchward filed a request to push back deadlines for some documents that will be filed. He said after the hearing that he will soon begin reviewing documents related to the case.
A family member told The Journal Gazette in July that Miller was “always slow,” and Churchward said Friday he will consider asking experts to evaluate his client's competency to stand trial....

April's mother, Janet Tinsley, sat a few yards away with members of her family and Fort Wayne Deputy Police Chief Garry Hamilton. Tinsley left the courtroom without speaking to reporters.

She has said she will push for Miller to be executed, but prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty....

Judge John Surbeck scheduled an Oct. 5 pretrial conference but said he anticipates several more to be held before the trial. "

February trial in Tinsley slaying | Courts | Journal Gazette
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back