CA CA - Dorothy Scott, 32, Anaheim, 27 May 1980

Yeah, I have always wanted to know where the dad was of the Dorothy's son. And who are the Butlers?

FWIW, here's a link to a blog article about the Swinger Psych head shop written by a guy who grew up in the area and hung out there as a pre teen in the early 70's. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way in the article for the portion about Swingers. He doesn't have any photos, but his memories about the place are timely. It seems like it was a typical head shop back then and the people who worked there were friendly.

http://nightflight.com/feed-your-head-night-flight-takes-a-trip-back-to-the-early-70s-head-shop/

Here's a link to the google maps street view of the address today, 517 S Brookhurst St, Anaheim, CA

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.825...4!1slIyBO1-ErFfgff1bkSLwqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There were several other similar stores in the area.

Dorothy is said to be a single mother, who was the father of her son? It's never mentioned anywhere. How was the relationship between the couple?
From what I understand Shawn's father really loved Dorothy. But Dorothy basically wanted a kid. She prob had feelings for him as well. But for whatever reason it didnt work. When Shawn grew up he met his dad. He seemed to be very sincere. And even flew to California after Dorothy's remains were found. He told Shawn that he did and always will love his mother.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Just became aware of this mysterious case. That Butler siblings make a lot of sense as I was thinking it had to be someone at work or somehow related to Dorothy's work who would have known about the spider bite ER visit so promptly.
I suppose Dorothy could have told the kidnapper(s)/murderer(s) after she was taken. However, They followed her to the hospital and as I mentioned it was a meeting. Not a shift she was working that day. I guess if they were just watching her every move that they could have followed her when they noticed she left. But still. Whoever the perp(s) were knew of her everyday activity. What she wore etc. So it had to be someone close or they knew someone close.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

It seems like mostly her coworkers were all who would have known where she was and I'm sure they were fully checked out. Security cameras were not that rare in 1980 so, anything?

Its obvious it was the co-workers. They need to be looked into further....especially Conrad and Pam.

Yes!

I’m having a hard time finding anything tangible online about the spider bite victim. We all know his name, but I only seem to find him as mentioned in regard to this case. No address, records, births, deaths. It could be just me, but I’m usually good at finding people. I haven’t looked the woman up yet.

Read the blog again and the updates - these were new to me.

UPDATE: Dorothy Jane Scott

I copy this bit and I've abbreviated the name because the source is expert, but not msm:

Apparently there was a suspect that Shawn became aware of through several of Dorothy's friends who lived in Missouri. The suspects name was MB. Apparently, B was an unstable individual who lived in the Santiago Mountains and was involved in cult activity. Which makes me think the dead dog that was discovered with her remains makes all the more sense now. Apparently he was obsessed with Dorothy. (...)
Apparently LE was aware of B. at the time. But never had enough evidence to consider him a suspect or person of interest.

So the friends considered this person a suspect (though he was more like a POI IMHO), but LE did not.
Reading the obituary, I find little that points at an unstable individual, involved in cult activity. Yes, he wanted a green burial, but that sounds rather sweet.

Did the calls stop when MB moved to Dorcas Island?

On the other hand, if both co-workers Conrad and Pam were involved, WHY would that be? They must have been very brazen to leave a meeting with her and then abduct her in a parking lot. Another co-worker perhaps? How long did the meeting last after the three left for the hospital?

Last edited:
I have been following this case for a while. I grew up in the area since the late 70s, so I am familiar with most of the locations mentioned. Unfortunately, I was very young when Dorothy Scott was murdered (by M. Butler IMHO), so I don't recall exactly how North and Central Orange County was laid out in regards to landmarks, etc., but I know enough to piece together some theories. Since 1984 there have been 3 bodies found off the 91 freeway, particularly off Santa Ana Canyon Road in Anaheim.

First, in August 1984 Dorothy was found near Santa Ana Canyon Road & Eucalyptus, burned. Then about 3.5 miles east from where Dorothy was found, Tracey Hobson's remains were found in August 1987 off Santa Canyon Road about 1/2 mile west off Gypsum Canyon Road. There was a piece of rope and a red handkerchief near her. This made me think of the red scarf Dorothy was last seen wearing. Lastly, in 2007 a John Doe's remains were found near the 241 toll road and 91 freeway interchange, which is near Gypsum Canyon Road. I am blocked from looking up the OC Register articles for the month, but it mentioned that John Doe may have been in his teens or up to his 4os (?), wearing running shorts. Most likely dumped there in the 1970s-80s. Too close to comfort in my opinion. I have more questions and theories, which I will share later.

I have been following this case for a while. I grew up in the area since the late 70s, so I am familiar with most of the locations mentioned. Unfortunately, I was very young when Dorothy Scott was murdered (by M. Butler IMHO), so I don't recall exactly how North and Central Orange County was laid out in regards to landmarks, etc., but I know enough to piece together some theories. Since 1984 there have been 3 bodies found off the 91 freeway, particularly off Santa Ana Canyon Road in Anaheim.

First, in August 1984 Dorothy was found near Santa Ana Canyon Road & Eucalyptus, burned. Then about 3.5 miles east from where Dorothy was found, Tracey Hobson's remains were found in August 1987 off Santa Canyon Road about 1/2 mile west off Gypsum Canyon Road. There was a piece of rope and a red handkerchief near her. This made me think of the red scarf Dorothy was last seen wearing. Lastly, in 2007 a John Doe's remains were found near the 241 toll road and 91 freeway interchange, which is near Gypsum Canyon Road. I am blocked from looking up the OC Register articles for the month, but it mentioned that John Doe may have been in his teens or up to his 4os (?), wearing running shorts. Most likely dumped there in the 1970s-80s. Too close to comfort in my opinion. I have more questions and theories, which I will share later.

Good post. I would also look at the Golden State Killer as a suspect as it seems like the kind of crime he would commit. You might say his ultimate stalking crime for want of a better way of putting it.

That spider bite ER episode seems to be nothing but to provide an opportunity for the kidnap, knowingly or unknowingly.
I wonder why they chose UCI in Orange when there were many other hospitals along the way, such as West Anaheim Medical Center, Anaheim Regional Medical Center or Martin Luther King Hospital which was only one street over on Euclid.

This case seems to be almost the ultimate stalking case and frightening. Of course I have no evidence but my gut feeling is the killer was the one who orchestrated the discovery of her body and was playing wicked games as shown in the taunting telephone calls for years.

Just want to make one more point in this case the killer seemed to be good with technology and almost tapping into peoples phone lines and also following the case in the press.

Here are a couple of recent videos from You Tube about this terrifying case. Of course Dorothy was a totally innocent victim targeted by a madman:

Here are a couple of recent videos from You Tube about this terrifying case. Of course Dorothy was a totally innocent victim targeted by a madman:

My suspect in this case is the Golden State Killer who was arrested in April of last year. This is because he did a great deal of stalking and planning in his crimes and he taunted victims through phone calls. If it is not him the NorCal Rapist suspect might be worth looking at because this attacker also taunting victims via the telephone after his attacks:

My suspect in this case is the Golden State Killer who was arrested in April of last year. This is because he did a great deal of stalking and planning in his crimes and he taunted victims through phone calls. If it is not him the NorCal Rapist suspect might be worth looking at because this attacker also taunting victims via the telephone after his attacks:

It is possible because I believe GSK was in Orange County for a bit in the early 80s. The MO is a little different in this case because Dorothy was not murdered in her own home, I have only read one book about the EAR/Golden State Killer, so I am not sure if he ever dumped bodies. I am not familiar with NorCal Rapist, but I thought they tied him to GSK/EAR. I will need to read up on that more.

There is a good podcast by True Crime Garage about Dorothy Scott, here is the link Dorothy Jane Scott ////// 35

The guys on this podcast can be annoying at times, but they lay out her story pretty good and the comments on their page bring up some valid points.

It is possible because I believe GSK was in Orange County for a bit in the early 80s. The MO is a little different in this case because Dorothy was not murdered in her own home, I have only read one book about the EAR/Golden State Killer, so I am not sure if he ever dumped bodies. I am not familiar with NorCal Rapist, but I thought they tied him to GSK/EAR. I will need to read up on that more.

Good interesting post. I used to thing the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer and NorCal Rapist were the same offender and in the NorCal Rapist it being the offender returning to his old 'hunting grounds' on a kind of twisted Busman's Holiday. I got that wrong so I would not take my research and theories as gospel. I still think the Golden State Killer is a good suspect in the Dorothy Scott case as there are other crimes he committed we do not know of and these may have had a different MO and also if you look at the Golden State Killer crimes in detail they are quite varied really in terms of MO with a likely attempted kidnapping in the Visalia Ransacker case before the Southern California murders. The Golden State Killer was good at stalking and liked to taunt victims. Therefore the Dorothy Scott case might be his 'ultimate' stalking murder for want of a better way of putting it. My logic would be who the hell else did it but as I say I do not know and I am just trying to get the cold cases warmer. Thanks the interest in my posts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back