Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should infer family was involved:

Assistant Director of DCI Field Operations Mitchell Mortvedt told NBC affiliate WHO-DTthat Tibbetts’s family members and her boyfriend have been cleared of suspicion. “At this point, we don’t feel [they have] any involvement in her disappearance,” he said.

Fitbit may be key to finding Iowa student who went for a jog last week and hasn’t been seen since
Not necessarily inferring family was involved, just saying perhaps someone else was around if she did in fact go to her mothers house for the brats. Maybe someone knew she was going, or saw her on the way there. I'm not sure, just always thought it to be odd that no one ever followed up with her, as I know when I was 19 my mother was always texting me to see where I was, what I was doing, etc.

I want to believe they are holding valuable cards close to the chest. But after watching this, I feel like the simplest and most likely scenario is that they've got a bunch of random cards and not much they can do with them. I think they are at a bit of a loss.

I also found it off-putting how much time they spent patting themselves on the back.

Just the emptiest possible statements. And they read them! Like the sheriff had the shortest possible statement to make, with no meaningful content, but still needed to read it off a page. The whole thing felt like amateur hour.
I agree. When the first two LEOs got done reading their statements, I was frowning because everything they read off sounded just like they had gleaned all the MSM headlines and merged them into a short sound bite. They probably scripted for those two guys intentionally so they wouldn't say anything out of turn, and left the DCI guy answering questions with also scripted responses/nonanswers. Hopefully they've got this, and their tactics are working to find Mollie!!

You just gave me hope that it’s not suicide, with the reminder that she had no access to a car. I’m still concerned and leaning towards this after the news conference, but I am back to open minded again.
Ty

Mollie did not have access to a car. So if she were (God forbid) to have gone off and committed suicide somewhere, it would be somewhere within walking/running distance; for sake of argument, let's say a 5-mile radius. I think this is unlikely because 1) she had her phone and Fitbit with her, 2) LE searched the local area with trained dogs. I just think she would have been found by now. IMHO.

There is something about the timeline for sure.
It could be something only a POI or perp would know about
There are several possibilities here. One is that if they keep the timeline a secret, it can help to filter out helpful tips involving a potential suspect. If someone comes forward with information that jibes with something that hasn’t been released to the public, in this case something involving the timeline, keeping this information secret could be very helpful.

If either my sister or I didn't show up for dinner when expected, our mother would be blowing up our phones, our boyfriends', and all of our friends'. I get family dynamics are different, and we don't know what's normal for Mollie. What's normal and what's not normal is what we're left in the dark about. Granted, we aren't "owed" anything, and I haven't followed enough investigations myself to know what's normal and what's not. Missing persons cases just aren't the "norm" in Iowa, though they happen, and I'm familiar with a handful, Elizabeth and Lyric being the first big one of my adult life that happened to be right in my hometown. I remember the first press conference being held much sooner in that case, though. It boggles my mind as to why they waited so long to hold a press conference when everyone knows that the first few days of a missing persons' case are the most important.

The thing is, the mom never said Mollie was "expected." We had a poster on here who is Mollie's age who explained really well how some families work when it comes to things like that - how there are open invitations and texts back and forth but it's casual and no one is tracked or panics when someone doesn't show up. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't, and everyone is calm about it.

Of course people who sleuth are going to be predominately from families or have families that are a bit more paranoid. That's certainly the case for me and mine.

But many people just aren't like that. I was convinced by that post that the failure to contact her for confirmation means...nothing at all.

Haven’t posted here in 7 years so I guess that says something about this case.
I actually think that LE meant for the PC to be confusing. So, they did well! I think they have their eye on someone and know he’s watching. If that were me, I’d either A) think I was in the clear and stop being careful or B) start to freak out because of that pause and the fact they didn’t answer anything so I couldn’t be sure of anything. MOO
As was quoted on a previous thread, having 30 agents on the case, FT or PT, (I believe) they’re watching someone or some people even if just to “get to know Mollie” through them. IMo that PC wasn’t reassuring to some of those people. (No idea who they are!).

Glad you are back joining in the discussion. This case is a tough one.

If they really have a POI in mind then would they not just haul in the person for questioning?

That to me would put as much pressure on a person than anything else. Then they could closely watch them after they release them from questioning. I guess I cant see them not hauling someone in for questioning if they really think they have the right POI.

Based on the Press Conference here’s my thoughts:

2.. they continue to talk about “technology” and chasing down leads from “technology” not anything specific like Snapchat. I think Mollie met someone online on an app like Hinge, Bumble, Instagram, VSCO or whatever. That person was likely a “catfish” pretending to be someone else. The POI likely doesn’t know that LE has their IP address and can identify that they were catfishing Mollie and potentially the last person in contact with her.

THIS!!!! I was hesitant to mention apps like Hinge, Bumble, etc. because I don't know if it veers toward violating TOS. But, if it is allowed, I believe this is the exact scenario we'll find played out here. Apps that weren't known to be on her phone, were actually on her phone and she interacted with someone there and in whatever way and for whatever reason, they don't know where Mollie is today. It also makes the PC comment about getting to know Mollie make all the sense in the world.

Mollie's cousin was interviewed on the Crime Stories with Nancy Grace podcast released yesterday and she said Mollie's mom told her that it "wasn't out of the norm" for Mollie to say she was coming over for supper and then not show up.
This helps. It would also be helpful to know if Mollie liked brats, if she was on a diet, avoided eating heavy meals later in the evening, etc.

Gosh that's not what I got at all. He seemed super confident. And I got the sense they have A LOT.

Did any of you notice the first two LE who spoke? They seemed choked up almost. Maybe the first one was just nervous. I don't know.

I'm pretty certain they believe it's a case of foul play. There seemed to be a lot of emotion there. They seem so vested in this.

It must be very difficult to work so hard and want so badly to find the girl and not be able to.
I grew up in a rural area that I imagine isn't much different than Brooklyn, IA (although our town had 2500-3000 residents, I believe). Every single LE officer in that town knew every single kid. Mollie had lived there for 10 years, give or take, the local LE probably are taking it pretty hard being they've likely never had such a high profile case in their careers, and actually know and care for her personally. It would be unbelievably hard. IMO

Sorry, I just can't go back and read everything since the PC, I am read out on this case!

One thought on the Friday press conference, I wondered if they decided - 'if we don't have Mollie by Friday werew going to involve the public more'. Otherwise why another PC so soon?
I think they are setting a specific date for the next presser because then the media has a carrot in front of them as to when they can potentially get more info, and will stop contact LE themselves.

I found the interview. copied every word below. I recorded the HLN TV show, "On the Story" at 2 pm.

Lucky for me after writing my comment earlier, I understand now- what he was saying. Below

James Gagliano 25 yrs with the FBI, LE Analyst CNN

"This woman does not have a history of disappearing. they are not saying that they are certain she disappeared on the run, or after she got home, they may not know. They are reaching out for leads, before Fridays press conference to get the story out there. If anyone has seen anything, to let us know. 25 yrs in the FBI, there are no perfect crimes."

Question: "Reportedly she came back to the boyfriends house, she may have done homework on a laptop. They would not confirm or deny, were you expecting them to confirm that or no?"

Gagliano: "No, because there is a person of interest that they talked about earlier on, that they did not mention today. I think a 30 yr old man that was taking pictures and videos of the route where she was running. It could be something harmless, has nothing to do with this, but investigators have to take every single lead seriously and run that down, and Mike in most of the cases I've seen like this, it is usually somebody closely associated to the person who is missing. That may be why they are reticent now to say yes, we think it was out on the run, we think it has nothing to do with the family. It is a tough thing when you have to interview families, and ask tough questions but unfortunately and far too many of these things someone close to the person was involved."

He said a lot more about MT's case. It may be repeated on HLN This is what I heard. Not sure if it is just an example of FBI saying this is why they can't say anything about the investigation. I did hear him talk about not mentioning. saying, info about the POI was not mentioned today in PC, that they had and now I understand it. This guy taking pictures has been released in the media.

Good thing I am not a reporter!

Thank you! I had to step out and I'm now way behind again, so I'm reserving comment until I get caught up (thinking it has probably all been hashed out).

I agree with Gitana1 family and boyfriend not involved

Mom, Dad, the brothers, the boyfriend, Aunt, cousins, have all been on TV doing interviews pleading for help and talking about how great Mollie is and how we need to get her home

So who's left
Who hasn't said boo

I don't think it's fair to judge her mom for not raising alarms. Just because you or your mom may have acted that way, doesn't mean it was typical of her mom. JMO.

Does anyone know when the wedding is and when everyone was supposed to be leaving for it?
I have been wondering about that too and also who else was invited and attending the wedding.

I think you are referring to Jennifer Huston. Her and Leanne came to mind for me as well today. A lot seemed off in the families responses in Leanne’s case, and we realized afterwards, why that was. I never thought suicide until today, I have believed it was an abduction. I’m now hoping for an abduction (as crazy as that sounds) because that means hope still, albeit slim.

First post -

this is reminding me a little bit of Leanne Bearden and the mom that disappeared from her home (cant remember her name right now)

my take on the PC -
they know what happened, they dont know why

in my observations, they do not say a lot when there is a lot going on behind the scene or are close to conclusion

all is my opinion, but my gut is saying she willingly left and may not be found, and if so, not for a few months

Haven’t posted here in 7 years so I guess that says something about this case.
I actually think that LE meant for the PC to be confusing. So, they did well!

Well if that is what they were trying to do, then they certainly succeeded. Unfortunately I have watched enough of these police press conferences to know that when the investigators appear confused, it's usually because they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocol136