Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
(O/T, it turns out MJK was Facebook friends and fishing buddies with an RSO who lived VERY CLOSE to the girls)

Back to Mollie, didn’t mean to divert, but mention how awful if they indeed are searching in the hog pits. :(
I've been dreading a search such as that ever since LE's first trip to that area. Please excuse, but such a pit would be a perfect hiding place for almost anything. SMH

@Skagirl said:
I was on that search today—I’m sure the details of it will be covered in the press conference tomorrow now that the news made it out there to Guernsey (we started at 8 am this morning by the way)...I’m not going to say anymore than that, just in case the investigators want the details kept quiet...

Thank you! For the person that had comment skagirl baiting... pleeeezzzz... he/she been on these boards/ws for quite some time and an insightful poster. They are Doing the responsible thing by stating what they can state without crossing the boundary which could cause damage to case.

OP is currently being processed for "VERIFIED INSIDER" status which was probably unknown to most (1st post in this thread). Carry-on...

Last edited:
Apologies - I meant ‘me too’ in relation to the post about having difficulty staying online with WS. Not in relation to Skaygirls post but unfortunately, I don’t know why, but it’s put it on here as well as or instead of Bravos post which I was replying to!

I grew up in one of the ten largest cities in the US, and we never locked our doors in the '70s and part of the '80s (at least, until I asked outside loudly why we never locked our doors, while a crew was working on the house next door... boy did I get a dirty look from my mom). In super-rural places today, it's still hit or miss. Usually we lock if we're leaving, but at night, doesn't always happen. Probably a local culture, which explains why some get serious heebie jeebies about it.

There has been a lot of speculation here today as to the press conference and the search coinciding. My guess would be that Skagirl wanted to help clear that up. Thanks Skagirl! Seems you had a very long day....
My’me too’ comment on this post shouldn’t be here - my apologies but I was responding to Bravos comment about the WS website crashing on me today ! Sorry Skagirl

Last edited:
I've been a member of here for a decade... yet most of my windows don't lock, and two doors are never locked here.... now I do have large dogs, but I'm almost half a century old, and haven't had a break in, haven't disappeared, etc. Even though it might not be the norm for some areas, in others, it's just the way it is. Until I got a new vehicle last year, I didn't lock the doors on it either. I'm surrounded by farms. There's a gas station near me, but it's very rural. The majority of the time I do have a loaded firearm near me or on me though.

Some people in my neighborhood's FB group have posted footage from their security cameras showing guys trying to get in their cars and going up to their doors in the middle of the night. Even though I have cameras I'd never leave my doors unlocked.

BTW @2Hope4 - off topic but I noticed your avatar! I just read about that guy today, he's awesome. :)

Thank you for searching for Mollie. Thank you for not posting anything which would harm the investigation.

Do we know what time the press conference is tomorrow?
Second news conference scheduled regarding the Mollie Tibbetts search

The Iowa Department of Public Safety has scheduled their second news conference regarding the disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts for Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. at the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office.

Updates will be provided regarding the investigation as well as statistical information on missing person cases in Iowa.

Expected speakers are the Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel, DPS Investigative Operations Director Kevin Winker, and Iowa Missing Person Information Clearinghouse Manager Medina Rahmanovic.

It could be her phone was discarded there, like thrown out a window and they are trying to find it. If the phone was on when it was discarded, would it ping there until it ran out of battery? Just my own thoughts/questions

To clarify my theory here would be someone took her in a vehicle (most likely) and on the way to bringing her elsewhere, threw the phone out, maybe realizing she'd probably have it on her or seeing it, etc. Again MOO
If I understand correctly, Mollie did not have access to a vehicle at the time of her disappearance and typically shared a car with her brother that was parked at her mom/brother's house. Also, if I am clear, she was jogging in a different direction. As I pointed out yesterday, IF Mollie "voluntarily" disappeared, she had to have done so on foot, which limits the area to walking/running distance. I will leave you to decide how far you think that might be. She typically jogged for about 40 minutes according to a recent article.

So this could indicate, IMHO, that Mollie left, voluntarily or involuntarily, in a vehicle traveling south on 21. (My guess is involuntarily at this point.) Or it could indicate that only Mollie's PHONE left town in a vehicle traveling south on 21, toward I-80.

Like you, I am thinking that the phone was thrown out of a car window.

If the phone was on, it would indeed ping until the battery ran out.

Now the question is, did someone ditch the phone in a different place than he put Mollie?

All MOO.

In response to the earlier question what would cause a person to take their phone but nothing else— a lot of things. If I’m texting with someone or calling them or talking to them of course I’ll always have my phone. However I also use it as a flashlight. And a speaker if I’m streaming music. I have to wear corrective lenses or glasses to see anything—similar to Molly – I still use my phone without my lenses on. I just make everything extremely huge so I can see it. Speculating here but maybe she heard something in the early morning hours and went To see what it was using her phone as a flashlight.

Last edited:
This is “Chisholm Creek Parkish” to me. For those who followed Lucas’ case, hopefully you know what I mean, returning to the area...

The Chisholm Creek Park searches were very soon. I'm getting more of a Mariah vibe with how they were focusing on the roads and bridges near creeks. I could easily be wrong.

In response to the earlier question what would cause a person to take their phone but nothing else— a lot of things. If I’m texting with someone or calling them or talking to them of course I’ll always have my phone. However I also use it as a flashlight. And a speaker if I’m streaming music. I have to wear corrective lenses or glasses to see anything—similar to Molly – I still use my phone without my lenses on. I just make everything extremely huge so I can see it. Speculating here but maybe she heard something in the early morning hours and went To see what it was using her phone as a flashlight. Or maybe she was in the middle of texting or snap chatting someone?
The flashlight thing. Maybe she heard something outside? Grabbed it to go check to use a flashlight? Might have happened early morning, so she grabbed the shirt she was going to wear the next day, put the dogs in the basement and went out to do a check see.

Actually no arrest warrant is needed, and if they believe a victim is inside, they don't even need a search warrant. Example: Ariel Castro. They never got an arrest warrant for him, they just arrested him. They never got a search warrant either, they just busted down his front door. At least initially. Maybe they got a search warrant, but that was after they busted down his door. Oh and they also arrested his two brothers without even any probable cause.
Yes, you're right -- LE could claim exigent circumstances -- it would probably fly. This is certainly an exigent situation.
I don't know what to hope for here other than for her to still be alive.
How is this thing going to end?

I was on that search today—I’m sure the details of it will be covered in the press conference tomorrow now that the news made it out there to Guernsey (we started at 8 am this morning by the way)...I’m not going to say anymore than that, just in case the investigators want the details kept quiet...
Awesome. It's always great to have locals on a case, and this time even more so. We'll await your news.

jmo

I also struggle to understand not locking your doors. We live in a smaller city...about 25,000 in the city limits....but my neighborhood has no history of any crime at all. Yet I am always alert and watching slow cars and different people walking on our road. I guess its my history on WS that makes me suspicious.
Yes, I think we are a breed unto ourselves. Lol

Thanks for the welcome to WS and I will review the rules on page 1. I look forward to posting with such an insightful and professional group of people here on WS!

Only thing to remember about quoting news articles is that you shouldn't post the entire article. Pick out 5% of the article that is relevant, add that quote along with the link, and copyright is covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes